MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
tsentsan

Christmas Day in Penang

During Christmas, my family and I took a drive up to Penang for abit of R&R. Had spent some time spotting there as well. The weather was a tad crappy, but none-the-less, had spent some time there spotting with an old and good friend, Tzewei. I guess most of you know him some way or another :-).

Here are some of the shots..... Nothing fanciful I'm afraid.

First up, AirAsia A320 9M-AFA. Apparently she does this run every morning.

user posted image

** Forgot to reset metering to matrix, hence the blowouts.

Next came the MH freighter, operated by Air Atlanta Icelandic.

user posted image

We then had a very nice meal of Hokkien Prawn mee (which I had a few bowls of) since it was abt $1 a nice big bowl :-) No pics of that unfortunately.

Adam Air came in next with PK-KKD.

user posted image

Followed by B732 of Top Air.

user posted image

And Jatayu B732

user posted image

And the occasional MH Airbus.

user posted image

TW took a shot of me in that spot, which some of you might know.

user posted image

So that concludes my 2D 3N trip to PEN! Thanks :-)

Edited by tsentsan

Nice..

Questions..

How to spot there??

Need steps...???

Any road map or point and shoot kind of direction...??

Traffic slow..???

Tsen Tsan,

Real nice pictures !!!

Are these 3 Indonesian 737's scheduled there daily, or only a few times a week, or were they charter flights ???

Nice shots..So Looks like Penang gets more 732's than KLIA..

Map difficult sia.. does anybody have a map of the whole area then i can try to point out the spots that I know of.

Pieter, from what I know of - they're daily flights and they usually take place arnd 9-11am in the morning. All inbound from Medan if I recall correctly.

Tsen Tsan

Roughly where in this pic were you spotting at? If you can tell me the name of the road through which you reached the perimeter fence, better still.

user posted image

Nice..

Questions..

How to spot there??

Need steps...???

Traffic slow..???

23804[/snapback]

You will most probably need to have a local aviation enthusiast show you around the spots...some of them are quite secluded...albeit very well known amongst PEN spotters.

Steps...better if you bring em along (The fences are high...but there are a few holes here and there)..but nothing to high..a simple step ladder from Ace Hardware or Ah Muthu Enterprises will do... biggrin.gif

Well...the road leading to the spots are actually paved...however to get to the actual spot involves a little bit of light offroading...nothing a kancil cant handle...Beware...ALOT OF MUD AND DAMN MONITOR LIZARDS... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Traffic is the usual PEN traffic la...not as fast as KLIA...but you get to see some really interesting carriers and aircrafts coming..just check out Tsentsan's pix! smile.gif

Have Fun Spotting! smile.gif

Edited by Imran K.

attan,

your approach picture overhadows my intention to know the spotting areas. hehehe thumbs up bro! was it a kiss touchdown? i am sure it was. hope someday many of us here can do that. gotto work hard to get money to enrol myself then.

Here are some of the shots..... Nothing fanciful I'm afraid.

First up, AirAsia A320 9M-AFA. Apparently she does this run every morning

you missed out the word "except" in the middle of the two sentences biggrin.gif

Nice pics lah, hopefully get the opportunity to take some similar next month...

Nice pics lah, hopefully get the opportunity to take some similar next month...

23988[/snapback]

Especially these Indonesian liners: would DEFINITELY go for these ones wink.gif

You will most probably need to have a local aviation enthusiast show you around the spots...some of them are quite secluded...albeit very well known amongst PEN spotters.

Steps...better if you bring em along (The fences are high...but there are a few holes here and there)..but nothing to high..a simple step ladder from Ace Hardware or Ah Muthu Enterprises will do... biggrin.gif

Well...the road leading to the spots are actually paved...however to get to the actual spot involves a little bit of light offroading...nothing a kancil cant handle...Beware...ALOT OF MUD AND DAMN MONITOR LIZARDS... ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

Traffic is the usual PEN traffic la...not as fast as KLIA...but you get to see some really interesting carriers and aircrafts coming..just check out Tsentsan's pix! smile.gif

Have Fun Spotting! smile.gif

23955[/snapback]

Most of the spots are paved and easily accessible by car. The only one that I think might be a tad challenging would be the one where I took the MH shot. Most of the places I know are however for morning sessions only. I havent really experimented with afternoon shots (better to spend the afternoon surfing DVDs in town biggrin.gif).

As mentioned, all spots easily accessible and nothing a Kancil cant handle. Hey, I wouldnt drive my 4 month old car into something undesirable right? smile.gif

Attan, that shot looks like a 22 approach shot. Most of the places I know are on the 04 approach side, rwy 22 not really used often in PEN.

Tsentsan, welcome back to aviation photograpy. I thought you have quit already.

PEN have good perimeter roads quite suitable for spotting. There are lots of houses around the fence so accessability should be okay. Never been there myself except once, right under 04 approach. 04 is used most of the time due to the ILS, 22 used mostly in the afternoon.

A place I think will be most interesting will be MES. There are spots near 05 aproach which have houses so maybe they are accessible. Of course, I've never been there myself except during transit. You'll have to ask our Indonesian friends. But if you like the interesting Indonesian carriers going to PEN, you'll like MES 10 times more.

Is TOP air flying into KLIA on a scheduled basis?

I know Jatayu has stopped flying to KLIA, but any plans of a comeback?

ADAM air never flies to KUL, only SIN. mad.gif

Nice..

Questions..

How to spot there??

Need steps...???

Traffic slow..???

23804[/snapback]

TK... If you come PEN and I'm back home (varsity holidays), I'd be glad to show you the spots! ;-) Let me know if you have a plan. Steps are prefered, otherwise you'll have to climb up your four-wheeler...

Those TT pictures are the common spots I hang out at...

Ai seh... Penang spotters... Any spot-together plans?

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Thanks Imran and Radzi for the tips on Penang spotting. I think a ladder is a necessity. I actually went round the whole perimeter and found that many of the best spots (facing touchdown points) are actually the kitchen doors of the squatter (?) houses because they built these houses inches from the fence. There are many open spots along the fence on the Rwy 22 end but as Rwy 04 is normally used the airborne/climb shots are not too appealing there. The cleanest shots in my opinion are those at Ptg Damar Lautt as the aircraft approach Rwy 04 but the touchdown point is too far away and you're looking at the tailpipes by then.

As for Azahan's question on the greaser, you have to ask Pak Brahim because he was in the right hand seat. Yes Tsen Tsan, the normal approach is Rwy 04 but then I was coming back from LGK and Rwy 22 was clear.

Yahh.. Azahan It Was Realy Smooth Touchdown By Attan.. Attan Realy Great pilot Always Smooth Landing.. Langkawi And Sempang Also Smooth Touchdown.. Cool laugh.gif

I am On Right Hand Seat.. And Snap the Pic While Attan Busy To Land The Cessna.. After Come Back From Langkawi to Refuel At Penang.

This Some More Pic.. Takeoff At Rwy 04 PEN.

user posted image

Hope It Can Help to show some spotting area. That White Aircraft At The Terminal Cargo Kedua Is Air Hong Kong.

Edited by Ibrahim

Thanks Imran and Radzi for the tips on Penang spotting. I think a ladder is a necessity. I actually went round the whole perimeter and found that many of the best spots  (facing touchdown points) are actually the kitchen doors of the squatter (?) houses because they built these houses inches from the fence. There are many open spots along the fence on the Rwy 22 end but as Rwy 04 is normally used the airborne/climb shots are not too appealing there. The cleanest shots in my opinion are those at Ptg Damar Lautt as the aircraft approach Rwy 04 but the touchdown point is too far away and you're looking at the tailpipes by then.

As for Azahan's question on the greaser, you have to ask Pak Brahim because he was in the right hand seat. Yes Tsen Tsan, the normal approach is Rwy 04 but then I was coming back from LGK and Rwy 22 was clear.

24048[/snapback]

A ladder isnt necessary. I took all of those shots without standing on a ladder (or my car in any case). Though I might say I'm a little tall (1.8m), but I'm sure anybody whose above 1.7m in height should not have a problem with the fence. Just have to look out for the snakes and the hornets thats all.

There are spots along Rwy 22, however they have rebuilt the fence there and removed some mounds which made it perfect to spot from. Nevertheless, the spotting opportunities at PEN are endless though the traffic is intermitten. Thats why you can discover great food to eat around the vincinity! :-)

Tsen Tsan

Roughly where in this pic were you spotting at? If you can tell me the name of the road through which you reached the perimeter fence, better still.

user posted image

23947[/snapback]

Hey... It's been five years since I had this same angle of view here... Really miss it!

damn difficult to describe lor.

Sorry Radzi, I 'kop' your shot...

Does this help? If not, next time I go up, then can havoc around :-)

Eh, why my pix doesnt come out ah?

post-146-1137328409_thumb.jpg

Edited by tsentsan

Sign in to follow this