Naim

U.S. proposes age limits for commercial aircraft

I have to agree with this. I've been in too many decrepit 737-200. :(

.ny

+++

U.S. proposes age limits for commercial aircraft

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 AM IST

By John Crawley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. aviation regulators proposed for the first time on Tuesday operating limits for commercial aircraft to help avoid the most serious age-related metal fatigue cracks and other damage.

The change would exceed long-standing regulations on aging aircraft, mainly concerning maintenance, and apply to thousands of airliners already in service and those on the drawing board, a draft Federal Aviation Administration rule showed.

It could take months -- or even years -- for the agency to adopt a final rule. Manufacturers would work with the FAA to establish operating limits based on thousands of takeoffs and landings.

The FAA estimates the cost to industry at $360 million over 20 years. Plane makers like Boeing Co. and Europe's Airbus would incur about 10 percent of this, while airlines and other operators would pay the rest.

But regulators say airlines would save hundreds of millions of dollars on maintenance and other expenses.

The proposal covers planes like the workhorse McDonnell Douglas MD-80 series, first popular in the early 1980s and still flown domestically, and the newest Boeing 777, a wide-body that flies premium international service. The rule would also apply to next-generation aircraft like Boeing's 787 and the superjumbo Airbus A380.

It took several years to conclude an operating limit was necessary. The proposal comes as the average age of many planes in the U.S. fleet is on the way down.

Nevertheless, the FAA concluded that "all airplanes in the fleet are susceptible" to the most serious kind of fatigue.

Currently, manufacturers must determine an expected service life for an airliner, and for new designs, they must show that serious fatigue damage will not occur. But there is no rule that restricts or prohibits operation once a plane exceeds its estimated service life and fatigue becomes a greater concern.

Boeing says its planes are built to be commercially viable for 25 years but airlines can fly them longer if they satisfy airworthiness regulations.

Commercial planes are generally made of aluminum and include fiberglass and some carbon-based composites. Most big planes, except very new ones, have some minor fatigue cracking that is caused by expansion and contraction of the fuselage during changes in cabin pressure and repaired during maintenance.

"As long as it's monitored carefully that's perfectly safe," said Charles Eastlake, an aerospace engineering expert at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

Serious problems arise when tiny cracks -- often too small to be detected during an inspection -- begin to multiply. "These cracks could grow together very rapidly so that failure could occur before another inspection is performed to detect them," the FAA said.

Cracks can occur in an aircraft's skin or on structural parts like frames and spread to different areas.

Fatigue issues received closer attention in 1988 when a section of upper fuselage on an Aloha Airlines 737 peeled away during flight. One flight attendant was sucked out of the aircraft while in flight, before the plane landed safely.

As a result the FAA stepped up fatigue inspections, corrosion prevention, and repairs on older planes to reduce the number of repetitive checks. However, none of the programs address the most serious type of fatigue damage.

+++

safety or cost...

For me I say safety... Money I can earn from other way but life there is just once there is no take two. So I would say go for it...made them grounded when they are old.

safety or cost...

For me I say safety... Money I can earn from other way but life there is just once there is no take two.

Well if Bush stop interfere with outside world, I bet trillions can give to airlines :)

So I would say go for it...made them grounded when they are old.

Like the airlines care..............

20 years might too short, i think 25 years is still reasonable for most airlines. Especially for airlines with financial problem.

we sure could use that regulation down here in Asia, Indonesia especially. like from last year, there's been many 732 crash worldwide, ie: Tans Peru, Bellview airlines and the one from indonesia.

Azuddin

Indonesia Should introduce this Policy..

The Amount of 727 and 732 they have and also the crash Records from these planes..

Indonesia Should introduce this Policy..

The Amount of 727 and 732 they have and also the crash Records from these planes..

your right

remember Mandala Airline last year which killed 149 people. it turn out that the plane is 24 year and has been flying for 50,000 hours. i thought FAA limit the flying limit to 30,000 hours.

i hope they just give a good service to maintain the 732, it's sad to see them go. I've suppose to be on America West 732 but the flight was switched to A319 in the last minutes because of mechanical problem

Azuddin

Like the airlines care..............

LOL ! Yeah, like NW :lol: :lol: Some of their D9S will turn 40 YEARS OLD soon.

LOL ! Yeah, like NW :lol: :lol: Some of their D9S will turn 40 YEARS OLD soon.

Yes man, that's really old, I don't feel safe flying them either! But the number of DC-9 been reduced where Babybus did the job but the number they have right now is still high around 202 dc-9 :blink: with 22 DC-10, their DC-9 is really a working horse, they also have 18 787 orders plus 50 options. :) Hope more order from them which may lean more to Airbus :(

Yes man, that's really old, I don't feel safe flying them either! But the number of DC-9 been reduced where Babybus did the job but the number they have right now is still high around 202 dc-9 :blink: with 22 DC-10, their DC-9 is really a working horse, they also have 18 787 orders plus 50 options. :) Hope more order from them which may lean more to Airbus :(

Out of the 22x D10 they have only 10 frames or so remain active, if i'm not mistaken. Judging from NW D9S, i think NW will only retire their OLDEST 32S in year 2020 :lol: :lol:

I hope NW mainline future fleets will be consisting of :

(Short/medium-haul :)

- 32S

- E90 (replacing all D9S)

(long-haul - Trans-atlantic)

- 332 & 333

(Long-haul - Transpacific)

- 748 (gradually replacing the old 744)

B) B)

Out of the 22x D10 they have only 10 frames or so remain active, if i'm not mistaken. Judging from NW D9S, i think NW will only retire their OLDEST 32S in year 2020 :lol: :lol:

I flew in one of their D10s in Aug '04 - SIN to NRT. Prolly my last flight ever in that magnificient machine :( (the trip is documented here: http://snipurl.com/pllr ).

Incidentally, I first ever flight out of Malaysia was also on a D10 - a MH flight KUL-SYD way back Jan '78!

.ny

Luckily for myself and for my fellow colleagues here, it is very comforting to know that we go to work with very good condition planes and well maintained. FYI, the company has a policy not keeping any aircarft beyond 12 years of service. It really reassures myself that I will be safe, at least on a very high percentage term.

Spoke to some expatriate Four Gold Bar Uncle's over here and they mentioned that we got almost barely minimum Deferred Defect Entries on the technical logbook and the A345, B744 and B777 fleet are so well mantained. Compared to foregin airlines where they previously worked. Even some MH ground engineers turned SQ pilots agree.

So if you ever wonder why sometimes SQ charges a higher price for tickets, its the new equipment that we use. And also SQ Girl. Its comparatively safer unless LeeCH decides to be unsafe that day......haha

LeeCH

And also SQ Girl.

LeeCH

If you can schedule FSS Elaine and that German speaking one (forgot her name now :o ) on SQ323 one day, I'll certainly try to be on-board that flight :lol: :lol: :lol: B) ;)

Interesting news.

.ny

+++

Indonesia bans purchase of Boeing 737-200s

www.chinaview.cn

2006-05-10 14:27:52

JAKARTA, May 10 (Xinhua) -- The Indonesian government said Wednesday it banned local airliners from purchasing passenger plane Boeing 737-200s due to many serious accidents involving the type of aircraft.

"The government no longer permits airliners to import that kind of plane, and all kinds of planes whose flight cycles have reached 50,000 or have attained the age of 32 years," Transportation Minister Hatta Radjasa was quoted by the Detikcom news website as saying.

The minister said he has ordered thorough investigation on all Boeing 737-200s operated by local airliners.

The latest accident involving a Boeing 737-200s occurred last year when the Mandala Airline plane crashed only minutes after taking-off from the Polonia Airport in North Sumatra.

The accident killed at least 110 passengers and some people on the ground.

===

Is this law really apply, then why AA want to re-engine their 300 Mad Dogg, for another 20 years?

Is this law really apply, then why AA want to re-engine their 300 Mad Dogg, for another 20 years?

Isn't this type-related ??? The 737-200 is a completely different design as the DC/MD-series ;)

Sign in to follow this