MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M N Fairizuan

Air Disaster in Malaysia

Air Disaster in Malaysia.

I just wanna share this tragic facts and numbers recently published on Berita Harian special report.

Air Plane

FA 18 Hornet = 1

AV-8 = 1

Buldog B100 = 1

MIG29N = 2

A4 Skyhawk = 1

Hawk 100 = 1

Hawk 208 = 2

F-5E = 1

Grumman Gulf-Stream 2 = 1

Boeing 737-400 = 1

Fokker 50 = 2

Beechraft BE36 = 1

Dornier 228-212 = 1

SC-7 Skyvan = 3

Piper Warrior = 1

Pilatus PC7 = 9

Pilatus PC6 = 2

SIAI Marchetti 211 = 1

Cessna 172 = 2

Cessna 152 = 1

Caribou DHC-4A = 1

Ultra Light GT 500 = 1

TOTAL = 37

Helicopter

Sikorsky 561 (Nuri) = 18

Alouette III = 2

Super Puma = 2

Bell 206 = 6

AF 365-N2 = 1

Ramov KA-32 = 1

MI26 = 1

Agusta = 1

TOTAL = 32

9 = TUDM Jet Fighter

4 = Private training aircraft

12 = TUDM training aircraft

2 = PDRM training aircraft

1 = Pesawat Pengangkut TUDM (can some translate this in english? :unsure: )

3 = Commercial aircraft

6 = Private aircraft

11 = Private helicopter

20 = TUDM helicopter

1 = PDRM helicopter

Worst accident, 4 December 1977, MH653, Tanjung Kupang. Semoga Allah mencucuri rahmat mangsa-mangsa nahas (Rest In Peace and May God Bless to all victims).

Al-Fatihah to all victims. (May God Bless and Rest In Peace). :(

Worst accident, 4 December 1977, MH653, Tanjung Kupang. Semoga Allah mencucuri rahmat mangsa-mangsa nahas (Rest In Peace and May God Bless to all victims).

Is that the one which hijacked, and a minister onboard?

1 = Pesawat Pengangkut TUDM (can some translate this in english? )

Aircraft Carrier????

Sounds like "Military Transport aircraft" i.e C130 or the Indonesian one...CN235 i think... :blink:

737-400? Isn't it supposed to be 737-200? And I don't see the A300 and B747F...maybe the they take into account only 9M birds...

which is why I always tend to take whatever is published in local papers with a grain of salt. ;) :D

Edited by H Azmal

they forgot the Flying Tiger 747 which crash over Gombak. Also, the light plane which crash during airshow at LIMA 95 which killed the pilot. Also, the Saudi Arabia 747-300 which fell into drain at KLIA.

I was a witness of a Pilatus PC7 which crash over kemaman. I was 5 during that time. I saw it flying around and suddenly, there's a breaking news on "Berita Terkini" about the PC7 has crash at Kemaman River. My dad and i went there to see it. the plane is total wrech, the pilot died. we actually saw the pilot which got smashed between the seat and the engine, horrible.

Azuddin

TUDM is quite week in number with those plane crash.....

hope those Sukhoi Su-30 won crash.. :(

hopes hornet dont crash hahaha

Flying Tiger 747 went down in Puchong. Not Gombak. Very near my house. It was coming in from Singapore. They descended below the minimums by reading the cleared altitude wrongly while commencing NDB approach and ATC did not catch it. This was part of our case study in Human Factos in Aviation.

When ATC tell me, "Singapore 113, cleared descend to nine hundred feet". I only respond in "Recleared niner hundred feet". So where is the mistake?

1. Nine should be pronounce as niner.

2. Never use "Descent to XXX". The 'to' factor can be misinterprated as a 2, in this case making it like 2,900 feet. Very fatal.

A lot of ATC controlled suprisngly still go on with this mistake and so are a lot of pilots. They do not care, but I care for my own life, and of course my passengers life and not forgetting attendents like YATI rite, Azahan?

Flying Tiger 747 went down in Puchong. Not Gombak. Very near my house. It was coming in from Singapore. They descended below the minimums by reading the cleared altitude wrongly while commencing NDB approach and ATC did not catch it. This was part of our case study in Human Factos in Aviation.

When ATC tell me, "Singapore 113, cleared descend to nine hundred feet". I only respond in "Recleared niner hundred feet". So where is the mistake?

2. Never use "Descent to XXX". The 'to' factor can be misinterprated as a 2, in this case making it like 2,900 feet. Very fatal.

A lot of ATC controlled suprisngly still go on with this mistake and so are a lot of pilots. They do not care, but I care for my own life, and of course my passengers life and not forgetting attendents like YATI rite, Azahan?

good analysis leech :)

The hornet did crash... haha.. in Kch.. but it was minor.. was repaired in two years.. and went back to service sometime mid last year.. :) It was 06 or was it 08 can't recall :blink:

My bad, just check out about it. it's puchong not gombak. I sometimes get confused about those 2 area. One of my uncle lives in puchong previously and actually witness the crash.

The Pilatus PC 7 which crash at kemaman is only 3 minutes walk from my old house. we actually heard the sound of the plane crash, we ignore it and thought it some kid of car accident. Until we heard the real news five minutes later. i don't want to mention what i saw about the pilot. you all know what happen if got smash between the seat and engine.

Azuddin

My bad, just check out about it. it's puchong not gombak. I sometimes get confused about those 2 area. One of my uncle lives in puchong previously and actually witness the crash.

The Pilatus PC 7 which crash at kemaman is only 3 minutes walk from my old house. we actually heard the sound of the plane crash, we ignore it and thought it some kid of car accident. Until we heard the real news five minutes later. i don't want to mention what i saw about the pilot. you all know what happen if got smash between the seat and engine.

Azuddin

Azuddin, PM me about the pilot :)

Azuddin, PM me about the pilot :)

sure, wait shortly.

Azuddin

Anybody mention A300 MH684 crased at SZB of 1983.................. :(

Flight MH684 took off from Singapore at 18.53h for a flight to Kuala Lumpur. Approaching Kuala Lumpur, the aircraft was cleared for an ILS runway 15 approach. At 19.20h, the runway 15 RVR was 450m in heavy rain showers. Though below the company minimum of 800m, the captain elected to continue the approach, hoping to see the runway. The captain took over control from the first officer, shortly before entering an area of heavy rainshowers. Immediately after selecting the windscreen wipers 'on', the radio altimeter sounded. Less then 30secs later, the Airbus contacted some trees 2km short of the runway and the right main landing gear struck the ground and continued for 436m. The aircraft then lifted off for 36m before striking a stream embankment and it slid for 109m before coming to rest, 1200m short of the runway. The landing gear and both engines were torn off and a fire erupted, destroying the cabin and cockpit roof.

Edited by Seth K

Flight MH684 took off from Singapore at 18.53h for a flight to Kuala Lumpur. Approaching Kuala Lumpur, the aircraft was cleared for an ILS runway 15 approach. At 19.20h, the runway 15 RVR was 450m in heavy rain showers. Though below the company minimum of 800m, the captain elected to continue the approach, hoping to see the runway. The captain took over control from the first officer, shortly before entering an area of heavy rainshowers. Immediately after selecting the windscreen wipers 'on', the radio altimeter sounded. Less then 30secs later, the Airbus contacted some trees 2km short of the runway and the right main landing gear struck the ground and continued for 436m. The aircraft then lifted off for 36m before striking a stream embankment and it slid for 109m before coming to rest, 1200m short of the runway. The landing gear and both engines were torn off and a fire erupted, destroying the cabin and cockpit roof.

good thing there's no casualties on that one. My dad was in his office nearby at subang when he heard the news. He went to see is. the plane still on fire when he was there.

Azuddin

I did mention this and the Flying TIgers B747...my guess is as I said earlier since both ACs are non-9M-registered I suppose they don't count. :)

that tanjung kupang 1977 is the worst i've ever heard in malaysia. Based on Airdisaster.com

" The flight was approaching Kuala Lumpur when the pilot radioed that a hijacker had taken control of the aircraft. The aircraft continued to Singapore. While descending from FL210 to FL070 the nose of the Boeing suddenly pitched up. Control was lost and the aircraft crashed into a swamp and disintegrated. PROBABLE CAUSE: Loss of control after fuel exhaustion or the shooting of both pilots by the hijacker."

it was a 737-200 in red MAS livery. casualties is total 100:100

also in the same year, a Japan Airline DC8-51 crash (reg JA5081) crash somewhere over kuala lumpur. with 34:79 casualties. from the database

"While executing a VOR approach, the crew allowed the airplane to descend below MDA and impact the ground approximately four miles short of the runway. Pilot error."

P/S: outside malaysia, also in same year, KLM and Pan Am 747-200 collide at Tenerife with oer 300 casualties

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Sikorsky 561 (Nuri) = 18

Perhaps the older members of MW will remember about a significant Nuri crash. It carried Ghazali Shafie, the Foreign Minister at that time, in the 1980s. My memory of the exact details is quite vague, but the gist of it is as follows:

At that time, the truce with CPM (Communist Party of Malaya) wasn't in place yet. The Nuri went down in a thick jungle region of the Peninsular. There was a news blackout at the early stagebecause the authorities fear that he might have been or risk being captured by CPM.

The SAR operation was huge and involved commandos, army and police. Miraculously, he was found alive (scratches/bruises but no serious internal injuries) despite being thrown out of the chopper...he landed on the tree vines, which presumably cushioned his fall.

A lot of ATC controlled suprisngly still go on with this mistake and so are a lot of pilots. They do not care, but I care for my own life, and of course my passengers life

P/S: outside malaysia, also in same year, KLM and Pan Am 747-200 collide at Tenerife with oer 300 casualties

If I recall correctly, that crash at Tenerife was also caused by bad ATC language usage and, therefor, misunderstanding of clearances :o

The casualties in the Tenerife taxiway tragedy is still the largest with close to 600 dead (583 to be exact).

If I recall correctly, that crash at Tenerife was also caused by bad ATC language usage and, therefor, misunderstanding of clearances :o

i heard the same thing. I also heard another story that it's the mistake made by the pilot. "Second before disaster" said that the ATC has given the order which confuse the KLM and he put on full thrust.

SIA crash in TPE is another example of ATC mistake.

The casualties in the Tenerife taxiway tragedy is still the largest with close to 600 dead (583 to be exact).

yes it is, I heard that it is total casualties on the KLM and more then half from the Pan Am.

Azuddin

Two disasters touched me. One was a Genting helicopter that crash in thick fog, just when it was about to takeoff from Genting to Segambut helipad many years ago. The pilot was a family friend.

The other was a close relative, a Royal Malaysian Navy Leftanant who died in a Nuri crash near Tasik Banding, Perak in early 1991 or thereabouts. He went to Pulatibang to be trained to fly helis for the Navy which had planned to buy (I think it was the now-in-service Lynx). He died co-piloting the Nuri in place of another pilot who was supposed to fly it. He was buried in full military honours, attended by RMAF pilots and Navy officers who came all the way from Lumut Naval base to Pahang for the funeral. I think RMAF should phase out the Nuris as there has been too many crashes of the ageing helicopters.

our Nuri/Sea King are bought first-hand or 'gifts' from the RAF?

SIA crash in TPE is another example of ATC mistake.

yes it is, I heard that it is total casualties on the KLM and more then half from the Pan Am.

Azuddin

OT: I recall that investigators did not pin any errors on the part of TPE tower. The T/O clearance came when the a/c was just turning into the threshold. And the pilots thought the controller could see the a/c from the tower during the typhoon. This led them to think they were on the right rwy.

Interestingly, the report noted 10 clues that were available to the pilots, which could tell them they are on the wrong rwy:

- Para-Visual Display - to show if aligned to correct rwy localizer

- Primary Flight Display

- Airport navigation diagram

- A/c heading reference

- Centerline lighting on taxiway

- Rwy centerline lights

- Signage

- Centerline lights color leading into taxiway and rwy

- Rwy edge lights

- Rwy/Taxiway's width difference

Sign in to follow this