MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Helsinki-Vantaa/Helsingfors-Vanda impressions

Went for a long weekend of sight-seeing (friday) and spotting (saturday/sunday) to HEL, and would like to share some shots with you, people ;)

Was blessed with excellent spotting weather (sunny/temps 20-22 degrees) and was shown around by 2 very friendly A.net Finnish spotters; EFHK, however, is a quiet airport with not much 'foreign' traffic and is dominated by the national airline FINNAIR, the airline you'll also 'see' next year :yahoo:

Finland is a bi-langual country with Finnish/Swedish spoken; lucky for me, as Swedish is more familiar to Dutch as Finnish ;) (do enyone know what a Kiinalainen Ravintola is :o ?)

Here we go:

Welcome to Helsinki-Vantaa lentoasema/Helsingfors-Vanda Flygplats:

IPB Image

My 2 guides were Janni (left) and Tero (right) with 04L lights in the background:

IPB Image

Vantaa/Vanda is blessed with a nice museum, with this MIG-21 as a 'gate-guard':

IPB Image

Pegasus (Turkey), Karthago (Tunisia), Spanair (Spain) and TUI (Sweden) all fly holiday-makers to better climes:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Domestic flights are operated by Goldenair (on behalf of Finncom), Finncom, AirAland and Aero (Estonia):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Royal Belgian Air Force Airbus 310-200 was bringing back some 200 Finnish soldiers from Norway:

IPB Image

to be continued...

Pieter,

Great shots bro! I especially love that Belgian Air Force A310. Beautiful classic! :D

Btw..i notice a dust spot... :blink:

Pieter, you've seen some great planes out there! HEL seems a interesting place to catch some smaller Scandinavian/Finnish turboprobs. And of course the larges AY traffic.

Some tips for you;

- clean up your sensor, it's having an ignoring dust spot. Check your manual how to get access to the sensor of your Nikon camera. Otherwise mail me tomorrow in my office.

- to get nice shots on the prop-blur of the Saab 340's, ATR's, F50's etc., you may choose to set your camera to a lower shutter speed (e.g. 1/125) to get some 'action props' instead of the steady view on them. Maybe nice to teach yourself on this with some KLC F50's at AMS. It may be difficult sometimes to get the subject sharp, that's why.

Waiting for your update...

Eric :)

(do enyone know what a Kiinalainen Ravintola is :o ?)

So Pieter,

What does that mean?

Very nice photos of some airlines that I don't know. I supposed the photo of Finnair's MD-11 is waiting to be uploaded?

Hi Pieter, what a sunny and fine day for spotting.

In the first photo, I see only blue tails. Is it my LCD monitor Red color conked out ? :p

Any chance of seeing MD-11 ?????

Wonderful photos,Uncle Pieter!

BTW,Does the Finnish AF operates MiG-21? What a wonderful view of Helsinki-Vantaa.Indeed it was a Finnair homebase.

Pieter,

Great shots bro! I especially love that Belgian Air Force A310. Beautiful classic! :D

Btw..i notice a dust spot... :blink:

So Pieter,

What does that mean?

Very nice photos of some airlines that I don't know. I supposed the photo of Finnair's MD-11 is waiting to be uploaded?

Hi Pieter, what a sunny and fine day for spotting.

In the first photo, I see only blue tails. Is it my LCD monitor Red color conked out ? :p

Any chance of seeing MD-11 ?????

Wonderful photos,Uncle Pieter!

BTW,Does the Finnish AF operates MiG-21? What a wonderful view of Helsinki-Vantaa.Indeed it was a Finnair homebase.

Imran,

Indeed a nice classic: ex Sabena ;)

Sim Lim Shen,

Chinese Restaurant :rofl:

The MD11's will be 'published' soon, some in 'special' colours ;)

Chaity,

Told you it was dominated with Finnair aircraft, right ? There is one 'foreign' airline in that picture: do you see it and know where it's from ?

Tamizi,

MIG-21's are now all withdrawn from use....small text/instructions on this example were still in Russian language :o

See this post for more later...glad you liked it sofar...

Ahh...I see then.Thanks for sharing the photos of HEL,Uncle Pieter.Looking forward for more photoshots taken by you.

Chaity,

Told you it was dominated with Finnair aircraft, right ? The is one 'foreign' airline in that picture: do you see it and know where it's from ?

Pieter, I am having "Thursday Blue" and couldn't see any foreign airline. Still all blue. :lol:

Pieter, I am having "Thursday Blue" and couldn't see any foreign airline. Still all blue. :lol:

Look at the A320 just underneath the tower, taxying with nose towards us: it's Lufthansa...

All other planes are Aero or Finnair ;)

great shots pieter, clear blue sky with those blue tails.... :good: my first time seeing... Karthago (Tunisia) :good: :clapping:

Great shots, Uncle Pieter.

Off Topic:

Uncle Pieter, if the two guides of you able to check the schedule of AY?

Cause I have missed OH-LGB (Mooming) today due to my exam.

So, I would like to know if any of you over Europe can help and notice me.

Off Topic:

Uncle Pieter, if the two guides of you able to check the schedule of AY?

Don't think so, as Janni still studying and Tero working at the 'International Post Office' at the airport, so both not related to AY...

Suggest you check ACARS-lists for OH-LGB and OH-LGF ;)

Uncle Pieter, may I know where I can check the ACARS list? :(

The ACARS Online mailing list

Coverage: A place to chat about ACARS.

To join: Send a blank e-mail to acarsonline-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Great pictures Pieter.

The hosts are you friends??

Kevin, great avatar. Very artistic.

Pieter, more pics pls!

OK, guys, having problems with downloading the 'Irfanview.com' program (as I've no privileges on my home PC :angry: ), I'll continue now with the Helsinki/Helsingfors impression, however, in the thumbnail variety, as not to upset the moderator again :p :(

Was able to take some shots of the very last commercial flights by the Mad-Dogs, operated by Finnair (flights ceased the next day: 13jun06):

IPB Image

IPB Image

Newest equipment in the Finnair fleet is the EMB-170; the 'reversed' F in the tail looks kinda weird :o :

IPB Image

The 757-fleet is, mainly, used for holiday flights to Spain (Canary Island), but will even go as far west as Florida and Sri-Lanka :o :o ; this one is still in the 'old colours':

IPB Image

Finnair is doing the heavy checks on the Lufthansa-Cargo MD-11's; I was lucky to witness an aircraft-swap that weekend: D-ACLR left and D-ACLS arrived:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Pulkovo is now using ex-Aer Lingus 737's on the short 40 minutes hop from Sankt-Petersburg, i.s.o. the 154's (seen here reversing on 04L):

IPB Image

OK, three-hole lovers, attention please: here are some shots of the Moomin MD-11's of Finnair (landing on 04L):

IPB Image

and taking-off from 04R (note the difference in Moomin-family stickers):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

+ some 'regular' MD-11's:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sterling.dk is using this Icelandic registered all-white MD80 for flights to Italy; they'll withdraw from Finland alltogether in 1 more month due disappointing traffic loads:

IPB Image

One of the best bizzers seen during the weekend was this BD700 here seen arriving and showing-off her gracious body-lines:

IPB Image

Highlight of the day was certainly the arrival of this AN-124 from Gomel/Ukraine:

IPB Image

This was it, guys, hope you've enjoyed them all from sunny and warm Vantaa/Vanda in Finland (who says, it's ALWAYS cold and freezing there ? :p :p )...

IPB Image

Next trip: TROPICAL Malaysia next weekend :yahoo: :yahoo:

Woo hooo...!! Pieter, thanks for the MD-11s! Love the hippo ones.... :D.

And great catch of the Antonov.

You can get into trouble for posting too many photos??? oops.... :(.

I wish you a great trip to Malaysia..!!

OK, three-hole lovers, attention please: here are some shots of the Moomin MD-11's of Finnair (landing on 04L):

IPB Image

and taking-off from 04R (note the difference in Moomin-family stickers):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

:oooooooooooo what I have missed on 15/Jun here in HKG :( :( :( :(

Waaah~!!! :blink:

Nice Livery on Finair MD-11.. First Shot~!!! Nice :good:

Daaaaaaaah Pieter, totally Finnair territory.

Impressive shots from Helsinki :yahoo:

I'll say if Three holers going to die, Helsinki is their last visit :good:

B)-->

QUOTE(Kelvin B @ Jun 18 2006, 10:35 PM) 56595[/snapback]

-snp--

You can get into trouble for posting too many photos??? oops.... :(.

-snip--

No... no trouble...

Post as many as you want.... but within the guidelines :D

ANyway.... those are great shots, Pieter...

Thanks for sharing...

I'll see what I can do with Irfanview, when you're down here this weekend. :rolleyes: