MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

FAA officially approves using electronics during all phases of flight

At last, they see the light! :good:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5050468/faa-officially-allowing-electronics-during-all-phases-of-flight

The FAA is officially allowing the use of some electronics during takeoff and landing, not just while in the air. In a statement, the agency said it was immediately providing guidance to airlines that would let them integrate the new rules. Airlines will need to submit a plan to manage electronics use, including outlines for new flight attendant training. Once these are approved, passengers will no longer be asked to "set all switches to the 'off' position'" before takeoff. And that approval could come quickly: Delta says it has already completed testing and submitted a plan. If the FAA approves it, it could be in place as early as tomorrow.

Passengers will eventually be able to read e-books, play games, and watch videos on their devices during all phases of flight, with very limited exceptions. Electronic items, books and magazines, must be held or put in the seat back pocket during the actual takeoff and landing roll. Cell phones should be in airplane mode or with cellular service disabled — i.e., no signal bars displayed — and cannot be used for voice communications based on FCC regulations that prohibit any airborne calls using cell phones.

I for one will still switch off my devices during takeoff and landing. Most incidents occur during the two phases. If you are not using your devices, your reaction time will be much faster in the unfortunate case of an emergency.

So we may have to print a copy of this and bring it on board.

Anyway, possible that the airline may challenge this on board? Don't want to delay the flight, or worst being thrown off. :D

Anyway, possible that the airline may challenge this on board? Don't want to delay the flight, or worst being thrown off. :D

Many years ago at BKI, a pax was talking on her handphone outside MH 734 door in the aerobridge, the captain came out and threaten to offload her if she didn't stop immediately :o

I always forgot to turn off my iPad (or set it ti flight mode) whenever I am inside aircraft, but never encountered any issues associated with aircraft ops.

IMO, it's still up to the country authorities in this case DCA. Then after that the airline.

Many years ago at BKI, a pax was talking on her handphone outside MH 734 door in the aerobridge, the captain came out and threaten to offload her if she didn't stop immediately :o

Oh she didn't whack the pilot with her cellphone? :p

I always forgot to turn off my iPad (or set it ti flight mode) whenever I am inside aircraft, but never encountered any issues associated with aircraft ops.

However I think it's only useful when there is comm. coverage.

AAPA WELCOMES EASING OF RULES ON INFLIGHT ELECTRONIC DEVICES

Passengers set to experience greater freedom in choice of personal entertainment

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – The US FAA has announced that it is relaxing previous rules restricting the inflight use of portable electronic devices, such as tablets, smart phones and e-readers. Inflight cellular communications including voice calls and electronic messaging will still be prohibited.

In terms of international implications, FAA rules apply to all US registered carriers. International airlines are similarly subject to regulatory oversight by their respective national governments. Individual national regulators will need to make their own evaluations and decide if and when to modify their own requirements in this regard.

Airlines are also required to operate in accordance with agreed guidelines, consistent with applicable safety management systems.

Mr. Andrew Herdman, Director General of the Association of Asia Pacific Airlines (AAPA), commenting on these developments, said, “Airline passengers will certainly welcome more clarity about the use of their personal devices on board aircraft, and the reassurance that it is safe to do so. In an ideal world such requirements would be more or less standardised worldwide. This was a point recognised by the expert group which carried out the evaluation, which indeed recommended that efforts should be made to work with other international stakeholders to harmonise such rules.”

Mr. Herdman added, “Passengers want a consistent flying experience, but given the number of individual regulators involved worldwide it will take some time to implement the necessary changes. Asian airlines will certainly be encouraging governments to agree on harmonised global standards, preferably on a multilateral basis working through he

International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).”

Now we can use our cameras during take off and landing... I use them anyway...

Meaning all the 'take off' and 'landing' pictures plus videos we have personally captured, those shared here in MW and those pasted all over A.net and U-tube etc ..... all 'illegal' ??!!! :shok:

I have a lot of repentance to make up for I guess :D

Now we can use our cameras during take off and landing... I use them anyway...

I always use camera during that two phase of flight. Sometimes i record the take off and landing. Sometimes i just snap pictures of the wings especially when the flaps are fully extended.

I for one will still switch off my devices during takeoff and landing. Most incidents occur during the two phases. If you are not using your devices, your reaction time will be much faster in the unfortunate case of an emergency.

Good point bro. Accidents happen within seconds. So time is precious during emergency.

I'm guilty of taking videos during take off and landing. But I try to be discrete and if told to stop, I'd stop.

So far never had any problem.

I'm guilty of taking videos during take off and landing. But I try to be discrete and if told to stop, I'd stop.

So far never had any problem.

Guilty as charged here as well. I take video of take off and landing using my camera. So far I haven't been told not to do so. I was told to off my phone once which was on China Eastern Airlines domestic flight. The crew asked me to off my phone. I told her it is on inflight safe mode in Mandarin, she looked clueless and told me to off it anyway......lolx.....

MU even fasten the seat on their blanket and pillow for empty seats.....lolx! So cute!

Europe allows gadgets to be used from take-off

Europe is relaxing rules about the use of electronics during flights, paving the way for devices to be used during take-off and landing.

Currently smartphones, tablets and other devices can be used only while a flight is in the air.

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has published guidelines saying use of such devices should now be allowed during take-off and landing.

It follows the US bringing in similar rules last month.

The EASA stipulates that devices must be used in "airplane mode", meaning passengers cannot use voice or text services.

This is due to the possibility of radio interference with flight equipment.

The changes will apply to aircraft operated by European airlines and are likely to be introduced at the end of the month.

"This is a major step in the process of expanding the freedom to use personal electronic devices on-board aircraft without compromise in safety," said Patrick Ky, EASA executive director.

Explaining the US change of heart, the Federal Aviation Administration said that recent reviews had determined that most commercial aircraft can tolerate radio interference signals from such devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24939782

It seems either MH don't bother to revise/update cc SOP or cc don't follow SOP. On a recent flight, cc insisted handphone must be turned off, stood next to pax to ensure handphone is off like teacher watching over kids.

On other note; for some reasons, MH reservation system didn't retrieve OW FFP status automatically.

Edited by KK Lee

It seems either MH don't bother to revise/update cc SOP or cc don't follow SOP. On a recent flight, cc insisted handphone must be turned off, stood next to pax to ensure handphone is off like teacher watching over kids.

I think this kind of thing is under CAAM or Mavcom (sorry, I dunno which body is responsible now. In the old days, it was the DCA), isn't it? Airlines have to follow their directives.

On other note; for some reasons, MH reservation system didn't retrieve OW FFP status automatically.

FAA directives doesn't apply outside the US for non-US carriers. So because our DCA/CAAM still hasn't given the approval, old SOP applies.

Oh yes. Happened to me on an AK flight as well. SIN-KUL. A cabin crew stormed from the isle insisting the digital camera to be turned off and stood there next to me to ensure camera is off like teacher watching over kids. This is during passenger boarding phase.

"Out of sight, out if mind". If they don't see you with a phone, they wouldn't know you kept it on.

I was once seated at a cattle class G seat at back end on upper deck of a MH 380

The rearmost H and K seats were supposedly blocked off for crew rest along the way, which meant they would be left vacant at take off and landing

Somehow I managed to get cabin crew's consent to park myself at 40K during those stages of flight, specifying specifically it was for purpose of taking pictures/videos through the window

So, if there was any standing instruction then to "switch off all electronic devices", said crew must have been kind enough to have overlooked my indiscretion :D

Edited by BC Tam

Sign in to follow this