Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

MAB New Economy Lite Fares (No Checked Luggage)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

For MH, domestic flights on the peninsula are about 1½ hours, max. Food and drink is not considered a necessity. So pax are more likely to skip food and drink if they are asked to pay extra. For flights to East Malaysia, there is a greater need. So if MAB charges for them, it might be another revenue stream...

I dun mind paying extra for food if it reduces the fare for domestic. Am getting sick of Nasi Lemak, or Chicken noodle for bfast every week especially with BKI catering. I still recall back then they would rotate to roti jala or sausage and omellete.

#22 Lim Kar Yong

Lim Kar Yong
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

So bottom line:

international flights see a reduction of free baggage allowance on economy class to 20kg, depending on fares. I think most airlines do this now, I recall SQ also offers something similar - please correct me if I am wrong.

domestic flights see the elimination of free baggage allowance for the cheapest fare. If it is a day or overnight trip, I think I would not mind this since I would not be checking in any baggage. But it affects those who are on longer trips/holidays, hence advanced planning might be required what fare to purchase or if additional baggage allowance might be needed

for domestic lite fare, it seems those with elite status have no added advantage with additional baggage allowance, except for priority boarding. 

Summary, MH is moving ahead with what many Europeans and American carriers are doing. 

Next - meals/drinks to be purchased for domestic flights?

MH updated the baggage allowance here for elite status:
https://www.malaysia...&bid=1291446414

So for Lite fare, elite status customers are still entitled to check in luggage it seems:

silver: 5kg

gold: 10kg

platinum: 15kg.

5kg free check in baggage allowance? seriously? It is a bit of a joke, right. 

For MH, domestic flights on the peninsula are about 1½ hours, max. Food and drink is not considered a necessity. So pax are more likely to skip food and drink if they are asked to pay extra. For flights to East Malaysia, there is a greater need. So if MAB charges for them, it might be another revenue stream...

True. I don't even take the peanuts and orange juice offered for domestic flights in Peninsular. But I would appreciate a meal for flights to East Malaysia, and I would always order a meal whenever I take AK flights to East Malaysia, especially if the flights are early morning or around meal times.

#23 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

https://youtu.be/FDDr_CAwaeM

Edited by Chris Tan, 09 April 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#24 V Wong

V Wong
  • Gold Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

So for Lite fare, elite status customers are still entitled to check in luggage it seems:

True. I don't even take the peanuts and orange juice offered for domestic flights in Peninsular. But I would appreciate a meal for flights to East Malaysia, and I would always order a meal whenever I take AK flights to East Malaysia, especially if the flights are early morning or around meal times.

The tables are simple to use, both for MAB check in agent and customers? No?  :rolleyes:

#25 Craig

Craig
  • Gold Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

That is the whole idea, isn't it? The airline needs to boost its revenue!

Yes. But Some heads-up will be appreciated. If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't have known MH *AND* OD has introduced HBO fares. For domestic/regional flights, I usually just go for the cheapest fare family unless I have a reason to buy J.

Well their Maths is wrong. 100% increase from 0kg is still 0kg. So the sweet spot is Gold/OWS for domestic flights :) In all seriousness, this is much better than EU HBO or US Basic Y fares. Elites still get some baggage allowance :)

#26 Kee Hooi Yen

Kee Hooi Yen
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:19 PM

So you can only pack one pair of shoe plus two towels in a plastic bag from Giant supermarket with that baggage allowance ?  :pardon:

#27 V Wong

V Wong
  • Gold Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Just found out that Y seat selection fee also raised by substantial amount. Anyone knows when this was started?

Never paid for any MH Y seat, not sure if the whopping rise in seat selection fee will be utilized by many...

#28 Mohd Azizul Ramli

Mohd Azizul Ramli
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

The immediate effect of this new fare is more passengers trying to bring large bags into the cabin.

Unless MH ups its cabin luggage enforcement by at least 300 notches, it will end up being a half baked effort.

There should be a dedicated staff manning the departure gate and inspect all cabin luggage, and dictate which luggage goes and which does not go into the cabin. Those that are above the cabin luggage limit must be checked in and payment should be done on the spot. Better if a penalty/handling fee is charged to these customers for the extra care they required from the staff. 

#29 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,431 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

The immediate effect of this new fare is more passengers trying to bring large bags into the cabin.

Unless MH ups its cabin luggage enforcement by at least 300 notches, it will end up being a half baked effort.

There should be a dedicated staff manning the departure gate and inspect all cabin luggage, and dictate which luggage goes and which does not go into the cabin. Those that are above the cabin luggage limit must be checked in and payment should be done on the spot. Better if a penalty/handling fee is charged to these customers for the extra care they required from the staff.

Yes, unlike LCCs like Airasia, most FSCs don't bother checking cabin baggage weights. It is quite easy to be over 7 kg total cabin baggage weight.

#30 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

Didnt Qantas increased the handcarry allowance to 10kg on domestic flights recently? Drawback was a more enforced no ground crew/ cabin crew were allowed to assist passenger in loading the bags to the overhead compartment.

#31 V Wong

V Wong
  • Gold Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

Diligently weigh all cabin luggage, strict enforcement during check in for number and weight. Have a weighing scale and hawk eyed staff at before immigration/at boarding gate to reinforce rule. Be LCC and reap the rewards for a profitable year! 

#32 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

Diligently weigh all cabin luggage, strict enforcement during check in for number and weight. Have a weighing scale and hawk eyed staff at before immigration/at boarding gate to reinforce rule. Be LCC and reap the rewards for a profitable year! 

Believe mh gate agents are outsourced; not sure work diligently is order of the day.

#33 V Wong

V Wong
  • Gold Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

Believe mh gate agents are outsourced; not sure work diligently is order of the day.

aisey... sarcasm la my previous post! Wish MAB all the best in these measures to be profitable again. Ahh but it needs to perform CPR / resurrect its dead mobile app since a major 'revamp' a few days ago

#34 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,383 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

Yes, unlike LCCs like Airasia, most FSCs don't bother checking cabin baggage weights. It is quite easy to be over 7 kg total cabin baggage weight.

My experience thus far - no one enforces the 7kg/dimensions cabin baggage rule too rigorously here in Malaysia, whether LCC, FSC or the 'hybrid' neither here nor there entity

A friend transiting SDK to HKG at BKI recently was called up for exceeding her purchased checked baggage allowance and politely advised to 'redistribute' her baggage weights. Resulted in a slightly heavier and bulkier cabin baggage, but all was good eventually - I believe carrier earned a few brownie points in process as well

:)

Edited by BC Tam, 09 April 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#35 Ja Singh

Ja Singh
  • Gold Member
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:55 AM

they should follow what they do in Australia,where a CBO (cabin baggage office) will be there at gate 40 mins to departure.A pa will be made to collect your cabin baggage tags.They then put their bags on the scale and if less then 7kg tagged,other wise extra charges apply.

#36 Mushrif A

Mushrif A
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

MH should not make it a nasty experience like AK but follow how BA does it - if you can lift the baggage by yourself and it fits the overhead bins, its fine!
And BA has a weight limit of 23kg per cabin luggage (and theres no typo in this sentence.)

#37 Robert

Robert
  • Gold Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

Great so gold members on the London flights have their baggage allowance cut. Thats one way to try and win customers on a competitive route

#38 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

The status is tied to company or individuals?  If tied to company and your travel is paid by the company then the changes in fares should not affect you.  Still 1 of 2 fastest way to LHR.

#39 V Wong

V Wong
  • Gold Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

Great so gold members on the London flights have their baggage allowance cut. Thats one way to try and win customers on a competitive route

Not just London but Japan and South Korea. I buy tonnes of junk from those countries (including bidet), almost bursting the allowance all the time. So bye bye love.... bye bye happiness...

#40 I. Wong

I. Wong
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:42 AM

MAB silently remove snack and beverage from Economy Lite, only Basic and Flexi have snack included in the fares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users