MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

MAS orders 15 A330s

By Ghim-Lay Yeo

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has ordered 15 Airbus A330-300s, with options to purchase another 10, in a total order worth $5 billion.

The aircraft will be delivered from 2011 to 2016, and will serve the South Asia, China, North Asia, Australia and Middle East markets, says MAS.

The A330 will complement the airline's incoming fleet of six A380s and 35 Boeing 737-800s, says MAS managing director and CEO Azmil Zahruddin.

He adds: "The A380 will serve key long haul destinations such as London and Sydney, the A330 for medium haul markets while the 737-800 will be used to strengthen our domestic and regional routes.

MAS expects to receive all its new aircraft by 2016, says Zahruddin.

"Our strategy is to transform from a 100% leased fleet to owning at least a third of the aircraft in our core fleet. We will fund the purchases through a combination of a proposed rights issue and borrowings," he adds.

MAS expects to gain annual savings of 300 million ringgit ($87.4 million) when it receives its 15 A330s, says the airline.

It is ordering the new version of the aircraft, which offers improved cabin comfort and aircraft performance, adds MAS.

So Azran's comment that MH is photocopying D7's order is quite true after all LOL! Finally, after so much rants and complaints alike.

The news link http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/12/22/336479/mas-orders-15-a330s.html

This is a very poor decision on MH's part as MH is just going back to 2000's technology in 2020 is this what customers want in 2020, 2000's planes. I think Mh should at least order 787 or 350 as the customer will be satisfied they are trying to make a commitment to the future no the past. <_<

now i wonder, if it was all about the a330 all along, what took them so long? 2016 for the final delivery? i hope the a330 doesn't become obsolete by then.

The A350 will replace the A330/A340. So the A333 is now on its last legs. However, as many airlines have found out with brand new aircraft (e.g. A380 and B787), delays can cause havoc to their fleet replacement plans. I dare say that MAS will be using the 15 aircraft to replace their current fleet. The 10 options might be converted to A350's if the plane comes out on time.

This is a very poor decision on MH's part as MH is just going back to 2000's technology in 2020 is this what customers want in 2020, 2000's planes. I think Mh should at least order 787 or 350 as the customer will be satisfied they are trying to make a commitment to the future no the past. <_>

The 330's have progressively been improved from the time of role out to the current generation of 330's rolling out from the plant

This is a very poor decision on MH's part as MH is just going back to 2000's technology in 2020 is this what customers want in 2020, 2000's planes. I think Mh should at least order 787 or 350 as the customer will be satisfied they are trying to make a commitment to the future no the past. <_<

Atleast it's better than the current 330's no?? If they were to order the 350's or the 787's now, the delivery date would be ages from today. Well, a new aircraft is a new aircraft and for most season travelers all they care about is the IFE, seats, service etc. How and with what they do it, they don't care.

And yes, well said Gavin. The LCD cockpit, IGW are all improvements.

Edited by Mohd. Afiq A.

The announcement came out as something very refreshing, albeit a humble order of 15 A330s. Their current fleet of A330 is so old and dated, any replacement will be welcomed.

Hmm..15 A333X as a replacement for the old A332/A333.

Wonder what engine they will order..either PW4000 or RR Trent 700.But mostly many airline nowadays uses RR Trent 700 (SQ,D7,GA,TG on their new A333Xs).

A330 with brand new technology and cabin, just using 'old mould'...The only reason why MH, IMHO, chose A330 due to its delivery date...Only plane can make fast delivery...

If read on the press statement, it still an Europe and US market MAS did not mention about...So I believe and wish, MAS will do 2nd phase of shopping for these destinations, so still hope for another plane at least brand new B777 or as what Flee said, the another 10 option convert to A350....

Emm bid OT, when B747 out of MH fleet operation, which aircraft will replace for Buenos Aires (BUE) sector?

This is a very poor decision on MH's part as MH is just going back to 2000's technology in 2020 is this what customers want in 2020, 2000's planes. I think Mh should at least order 787 or 350 as the customer will be satisfied they are trying to make a commitment to the future no the past. <_>

The 333 has evolved much since introduction in early 90s. The core technologies are very different from the current 333 MAS is currently operating. The fuel savings is huge, it has higher gross weight and it actually is able to fly father then the old version. I personally think this is a very good decision.

CX for one that is very happy with the 333. SQ seems to be doing fine with theirs. I just hope the seats and interior of MH's will at least be as good as SQ's and they will actually keep the seat pitch in EY at 34".

Atleast it's better than the current 330's no??

Indeed it is.

Edited by Isaac

CX for one that is very happy with the 333. SQ seems to be doing fine with theirs.

and, don't forget NW ahem DL !!!

most Trans-Atlantic flights ex AMS are with A333's now...

I think it could be the huge discount given by Airbus due to the delay in MAS's A380 delivery. An offer probably MAS could not refuse.

Is MAS going to phase out their old A333 & A332 back to lessor?

Looks like Malaysia is dominated by Airbus now...

Honestly, I was waiting expecting it to be either A350 or B787. But A333X, well nice plane but dated.

Also, MAS mentioned these 25 A333X is for medium haul market while A380 for long haul ie; Sydney (yay for me)... So does this mean

no long haul order for B744s replacement? Would look to see MAS mixture orders of B772LR & B777ER.

MH deserves a pat on the back. After all it took them a loooong while to decide which aircraft to buy and commit to that! :p

Agreeing with Isaac, hopefully we can still enjoy the 34" pitch in EY cabin. That, for me, really is the only incentive for flying with MH rather than SQ.

As for using the A380 on the SYD route, it sounds like BNE still won't be getting a nonstop to/from KUL (especially with all the extra seats on the A380 vs B744). Would be lovely if MH utilises their new A330 on KUL-SYD-vv and KUL-BNE-vv. Well, maybe not yield-wise, but at least for me it'll be fantastic. ^^;

I agreed...I don't see any reason why the management is ordering the A330s given that technology of this birds may be outdated by then. A350s and the B787s shall already flying in the skies by then and A330s shall not make MH fleets looks attractive at all.

I think it could be the huge discount given by Airbus due to the delay in MAS's A380 delivery. An offer probably MAS could not refuse.

Is MAS going to phase out their old A333 & A332 back to lessor?

Looks like Malaysia is dominated by Airbus now...

Honestly, I was waiting expecting it to be either A350 or B787. But A333X, well nice plane but dated.

Also, MAS mentioned these 25 A333X is for medium haul market while A380 for long haul ie; Sydney (yay for me)... So does this mean

no long haul order for B744s replacement? Would look to see MAS mixture orders of B772LR & B777ER.

Most Likely is the huge discount by AIRBUS given the delay of the A380s.....in my opinion B777 will be a perfect choice rather than the A330s

Can the A330 make a KUL-Europe trip?

I don't think any airlines does this, no?

Personally I am disappointed, as a fan of course. Wanted to see something newer. Hopefully there will be one more order ready to go in the renewal.

A380, A330 and B737 seems like a family missing one more member ;)

The A350 will replace the A330/A340. So the A333 is now on its last legs. However, as many airlines have found out with brand new aircraft (e.g. A380 and B787), delays can cause havoc to their fleet replacement plans. I dare say that MAS will be using the 15 aircraft to replace their current fleet. The 10 options might be converted to A350's if the plane comes out on time.

If that's the case, it is indeed a good decision by MH.

We (MH and all the crazy MW fans alike) desperately NEED to put the current MH A330 in the museum and cannot afford any delay should MH decide on A350 and God forbid, the A380 saga happens. So A330 is a safe bet for now.. ( For the broken-hearted fans out there .. there is still hope guys... remember conversion to A350 is still possible down the line)

Anyway Congratulations MH and all the fan out there. Time to celebrate!

Edited by Azri