MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
I. Wong

MAB New Economy Lite Fares (No Checked Luggage)

MAB introduced three types of economy fares: Economy Lite (which come with no checked luggage allowance), Economy Basic (with 20kg checked luggage) and Economy Flexible (with 25kg checked luggage). This is the first time I have seen this when trying to book a domestic flight. I don't think I have come across any news regarding this change. Basically, if you want to travel with MAB with checked luggage, you need to pay much more than before. This may just make their fares not competitive when compared with AK.

If you just buy Economy Lite ticket and then add a 20kg checked luggage, it will cost you RM303.16 for a 20kg luggage alone. Something is not right here for MAB. So, basically, those who need to check in luggage should select Economy Basic, rather than Lite.

MAB introduced three types of economy fares: Economy Lite (which come with no checked luggage allowance), Economy Basic (with 20kg checked luggage) and Economy Flexible (with 25kg checked luggage). This is the first time I have seen this when trying to book a domestic flight. I don't think I have come across any news regarding this change. Basically, if you want to travel with MAB with checked luggage, you need to pay much more than before. This may just make their fares not competitive when compared with AK.

Light option is practiced by lh and ba on intra Europe sectors.

Mh often take good idea but almost always implement badly and miss the original objective.

Edited by KK Lee

I know many airlines have hand bag only fares, but for MAB to charge RM303 for a 20kg luggage is simply unreasonable (even AK charge around RM26-30 for a 20kg luggage). I hope this is an error in the system, but most people would either choose Basic fare which is inclusive of 20kg luggage, or stick on Lite fare with hand carry luggage only.

Previously, I always travelled with MAB domestically because their fares came with 30kg checked in luggage and inflight meal, if the fares were just slightly more expensive than AK. I used to pay between RM100 and RM130 one way for flight between KUL and Sarawak. But now, to have 20kg luggage (plus meal) included in your ticket, I need to pay around RM200 one way. The gap between AK and MH is widening in my opinion when one can still get AK ticket for less than RM150 inclusive checked in luggage and meal. In some highly competitive domestic routes, I don't think it will do anything good to MAB.

Tried to do dummy booking, KUL - AOR

Economy lite : 119.06 (7kg carry on luggage)

Economy basic : +50.88 (7kg carry on + 20kg check in luggage)

Economy flexi : +150.52 (7kg carry on + 25kg check in luggage)

To KCH

Economy lite : 319.40

Economy basic : +60.42

Economy flexi : +200.34

Edited by affendi osman

I don't think add on baggages rate would change, it SHOULD NOT BE an error. When Malindo rolled out their Super Savers on March 15 earlier on, the add on rate DOES NOT change at all. For 5 KGS only, charges is from RM 70+....

I welcomed this change personally, it should be competitive during LOW SEASON. At least I DO NOT NEED TO SEE RM 300 PER WAY AS LOWEST ECONOMY FARES TO KUL FROM SARAWAK DURING NON SALES PERIOD like previously! WIth RM 300, almost can get a premium flex on AK already.

Looks like this is for domestic flights only. I tried doing a dummy booking for international flights, luggage is still included. However economy basic luggage is now reduced to 25kg.

Edited by Lim Kar Yong

Tried to do dummy booking, KUL - AOR

Economy lite : 119.06 (7kg carry on luggage)

Economy basic : +50.88 (7kg carry on + 20kg check in luggage)

Economy flexi : +150.52 (7kg carry on + 25kg check in luggage)

To KCH

Economy lite : 319.40

Economy basic : +60.42

Economy flexi : +200.34

I dont know which dates you keyed in but the "new" Economy lite fare you quoted there was the old normal economy fare that came with free 25kg checked luggage.

MH should at least offer a notch lower for the economy lite fare as "headline" fares

I dont know which dates you keyed in but the "new" Economy lite fare you quoted there was the old normal economy fare that came with free 25kg checked luggage.

MH should at least offer a notch lower for the economy lite fare as "headline" fares

I'm using MHmobile, for journey on the 19th April

Well this could have been implemented better. How about some heads-up instead of immediate effect? And what if pax has elite status (either with MH/OW) - are they still given the extra baggage allowance for Y Lite fares?

Btw, why do people need that much baggage allowance (I get it if you are moving or if you are traveling to temperate countries etc.) but for a holiday, 20kg is a lot.

PS: Can we have a separate thread instead of getting buried in here?

Edited by Craig

Light option is practiced by lh and ba on intra Europe sectors.

Yes, on BA, the term is "Economy Basic" or the "hand baggage only" fare. I noticed this fare is popular among business customers who commute daily and weekend travellers. On a good day, this fare is always under £100 for a return trip. I am a hunter of this fare. I once got a return trip LHR-LIS during a weekend for £90. In my book, any BA's return fare under £100 is a bargain.

Btw, why do people need that much baggage allowance (I get it if you are moving or if you are traveling to temperate countries etc.) but for a holiday, 20kg is a lot.

It depends tho. On my last trip to DPS, the luggage was 25 kg on departure as I had to dress to impress during this trip. Shoes alone take a lot of space. But the baggage allowance was 40 kg, so no biggie really. It was an 8 days trip.

Was chatting to the Malindo staff at KL sentral and they told me that customers impacted by the new fare types and been giving them a hard time because they assumed that luggage was included and then were subsequently hit with a bill if they want to take their bags.

In addition its been proven in the fast that with these types of fares you get the less for around the same money. If you want the same perks as before then it will cost you more.

Was chatting to the Malindo staff at KL sentral and they told me that customers impacted by the new fare types and been giving them a hard time because they assumed that luggage was included and then were subsequently hit with a bill if they want to take their bags.

In addition its been proven in the fast that with these types of fares you get the less for around the same money. If you want the same perks as before then it will cost you more.

That is the whole idea, isn't it? The airline needs to boost its revenue!

Every company wish to have higher revenue and could price it's products at whim and fancy e.g RM2000 beef burger. The question is how many customers are willing to pay for it and what would be resulted revenue.

With this basic fare also mean next step for mh is to sell foods on board.

Edited by KK Lee

Well, some people here wanted MH to become profitable one way or another.....

So bottom line:

international flights see a reduction of free baggage allowance on economy class to 20kg, depending on fares. I think most airlines do this now, I recall SQ also offers something similar - please correct me if I am wrong.

domestic flights see the elimination of free baggage allowance for the cheapest fare. If it is a day or overnight trip, I think I would not mind this since I would not be checking in any baggage. But it affects those who are on longer trips/holidays, hence advanced planning might be required what fare to purchase or if additional baggage allowance might be needed

for domestic lite fare, it seems those with elite status have no added advantage with additional baggage allowance, except for priority boarding.

Summary, MH is moving ahead with what many Europeans and American carriers are doing.

Next - meals/drinks to be purchased for domestic flights?

For MH, domestic flights on the peninsula are about 1½ hours, max. Food and drink is not considered a necessity. So pax are more likely to skip food and drink if they are asked to pay extra. For flights to East Malaysia, there is a greater need. So if MAB charges for them, it might be another revenue stream... Edited by flee

For MH, domestic flights on the peninsula are about 1½ hours, max. Food and drink is not considered a necessity. So pax are more likely to skip food and drink if they are asked to pay extra. For flights to East Malaysia, there is a greater need. So if MAB charges for them, it might be another revenue stream...

I dun mind paying extra for food if it reduces the fare for domestic. Am getting sick of Nasi Lemak, or Chicken noodle for bfast every week especially with BKI catering. I still recall back then they would rotate to roti jala or sausage and omellete.

So bottom line:

international flights see a reduction of free baggage allowance on economy class to 20kg, depending on fares. I think most airlines do this now, I recall SQ also offers something similar - please correct me if I am wrong.

domestic flights see the elimination of free baggage allowance for the cheapest fare. If it is a day or overnight trip, I think I would not mind this since I would not be checking in any baggage. But it affects those who are on longer trips/holidays, hence advanced planning might be required what fare to purchase or if additional baggage allowance might be needed

for domestic lite fare, it seems those with elite status have no added advantage with additional baggage allowance, except for priority boarding.

Summary, MH is moving ahead with what many Europeans and American carriers are doing.

MH updated the baggage allowance here for elite status:

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/enrich/news-promotions/revision-economy-class-free-baggage-allowance/revision_economy_class_free_baggage_allowance.html?cid=PDM85519&bid=1291446414

So for Lite fare, elite status customers are still entitled to check in luggage it seems:

silver: 5kg

gold: 10kg

platinum: 15kg.

5kg free check in baggage allowance? seriously? It is a bit of a joke, right.

For MH, domestic flights on the peninsula are about 1½ hours, max. Food and drink is not considered a necessity. So pax are more likely to skip food and drink if they are asked to pay extra. For flights to East Malaysia, there is a greater need. So if MAB charges for them, it might be another revenue stream...

True. I don't even take the peanuts and orange juice offered for domestic flights in Peninsular. But I would appreciate a meal for flights to East Malaysia, and I would always order a meal whenever I take AK flights to East Malaysia, especially if the flights are early morning or around meal times.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/enrich/news-promotions/revision-economy-class-free-baggage-allowance/revision_economy_class_free_baggage_allowance.html?cid=PDM85519&bid=1291446414

So for Lite fare, elite status customers are still entitled to check in luggage it seems:

5kg free check in baggage allowance? seriously? It is a bit of a joke, right.

True. I don't even take the peanuts and orange juice offered for domestic flights in Peninsular. But I would appreciate a meal for flights to East Malaysia, and I would always order a meal whenever I take AK flights to East Malaysia, especially if the flights are early morning or around meal times.

The tables are simple to use, both for MAB check in agent and customers? No? :rolleyes:

Yes. But Some heads-up will be appreciated. If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't have known MH *AND* OD has introduced HBO fares. For domestic/regional flights, I usually just go for the cheapest fare family unless I have a reason to buy J.

Well their Maths is wrong. 100% increase from 0kg is still 0kg. So the sweet spot is Gold/OWS for domestic flights :) In all seriousness, this is much better than EU HBO or US Basic Y fares. Elites still get some baggage allowance :)

Sign in to follow this