MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sandeep G

Perth Spotters Meet (25/09/2005)

Hi everyone,

So after flying the DC3 on Thursday 22nd, I met up with Liam at the Perth flight centre and we headed to the new Dome cafe at the domestic multi-user terminal.. and by Multi-user I mean Skywest and Virgin-Blue. The day was actually quite a good one for spotting on the 22nd as the West Coast Eagles were flying out that day to Melbourne to take on the Sydney Swans in the AFL Grand Final! So lots of additional flights including numerous QF 743s and 744s operating on the domestic apron. Anyway, as the game was on Saturday, we both figured that there would be an influx of flights returning the football fans from MEL on Sunday. Liam also proposed that I accompany him to Gingin AFB which is roughly an hour out of Perth, for some circuits.. There was no way I was turning this offer down!

So Sunday arrived and an early morning start after playing poker at a friends place till 1am meant I needed a real sugar fix! Picked Liam and his mate Daniel up from his place at around 0750, and headed off to RAAF Gingin along the Grt. Northern Hwy. I think we arrived there by 0915 after a couple of stops on the way.

To my suprise the airport was empty!!! The only aircraft there was the Piper Warrior PA28 VH-FES that belonged to the Pearce Flying Club to which Liam and Daniel were recieivng their flight training. Anyhow, They met with their instructor at the operations room and did all the formalities before heading out to the aircraft. This aircraft sure is a beauty, with a huge wingspan, lovely livery and a beautiful lycoming to boot!

Pre-flight checks were undertaken, fuel qty was good, oil qty good, all control surfaces checked, and brake-fluid checked. Liam was first to get underway, so the three of us (Liam, the Instructor and myself) climbed aboard, with myself in the rear. Quite spacious!

We taxied out to 26 initially and departed to the west conducting left circuits of the field. On the first touch and go it was evident that the wind had actually changed direction and the aircraft came down in a tailwind.. so we headed back up to 1250ft, flew a dumbell approach and came back in for the next TnG on 08. All remaining circuits were right-hand downwinds for 08. Liam did 5 TnGs with one absolute greaser of a landing, incredibly smooth. There was also some chicken scaring (whereby we flew at around 150-200 ft. over a farm to scare the crap out of some chickens in a barn before pulling away and climbing back to 1250ft) and a simulated engine failure.

After his time was up, we headed back to the hangar where Daniel was waiting for his rounds. Liam and I left to the ops room and club-house. From this point is where the day got interesting. We walked all over the airfield, and when I say all over, I mean ALL OVER! We crossed the taxiways, walked across the runway, had a look at the safety nets, walked along 08 and all this while Daniel was doing his circuits! Absolutely amazing! Who would have thought we were on an airforce base! BTW, we were the only ones there of course! smile.gif

After daniel completed his circuits, we got back in the car and headed back to Perth. There was an incredible straight road that was about 3-4kms long leading from the Highway to the AFB. We decided to set some speed records and the pics will follow.

At Perth, we commenced spotting at precisely 2pm cathching all the international traffic and lots of domestic traffic. A great crowd was present and the weather was immaculate.

I want to thank Liam for inviting me along for his training and also for having the honour of being his first passenger! Thanks also to his instructor and all the guys down at Perth for making the day so enjoyable!

The pics shall follow smile.gif

user posted image

Liam on the left on final for 08 @ Gingin (VH-FES PA28 Warrior)

user posted image

Daniel conducting his circuits and coming into 08. A bit low!

user posted image

user posted image

The safety nets at Gingin! operated by a radio frequency I believe.

user posted image

Staring down runway 08. I had to take this quickly, Daniel was turning onto finals!

user posted image

Gibby at the intersection smile.gif

user posted image

Myself at the same point... RAAF Gingin now using Lemonade cans for lighting smile.gif kidding smile.gif

user posted image

hmmm... is somebody shooting at us? don't miss the bullet holes in this sign! The security was so tight at Gingin, that Liam and I had to open the gates manually under a hail of bulllet fire smile.gif Thanks to Daniel for taking this shot

user posted image

VH-EBY Boeing 747-338 on finals for 21 from MEL. A rarity in Perth.

user posted image

Seconds from touch down. Sorry for the unlevel shot.

user posted image

VH-ZXA B767 also on finals for 21 from MEL. This bird flew in about 2 minutes after the above B743. Lotsa traffic bringing home the Eagle fans after a close loss at the weekend. This bird is on lease from BA I believe. note the RR engines.

user posted image

two Boeing 747-300s at Perth!??!?! VH-EBV heads out carrying pax for MEL as EBY taxies in! In the background in the QF762! Busy at Perth!

user posted image

Pacific Blue operating for Virgin Blue VH-VUD on finals for 21.

user posted image

VH-OJU operating as QF16 from LHR via SIN. thats 3 QF 747s at Perth instantaneously! ohmy.gif

user posted image

MH-125 inbound from KUL. 9M-MRN minus the Man. Utd. Sticker. I was praying for MRD, alas MRN arrived. Still a beauty! TK, when you coming ah?

user posted image

Boeing 717 VH-NXE ex impulse, ex QantasLink ex Jetstar now again in QantasLink is slowly replacing the BAe-146 fleet here in WA. Operated on behalf of Qantas by NationalJet. Looking magnificent.

user posted image

Skywest Fokker 100 VH-FN*

user posted image

Thai niner-niner-eight (Liam does the accent well) HS-TEE. Needing a wash! Sure it will be going for the new paint-scheme soon!

user posted image

VH-EBA A330-200 from somewhere east

user posted image

VH-NJC (NationalJet) operating for QantasLink. Slowly being phased out of the fleet.

user posted image

Qantas B738 VH-VXT on finals

user posted image

Virgin Blue VH-VBO B737-700 DJ355 from ADL. Was hoping for VBY!

Sandeep, Gibby,

Nice to have met you "in person" now wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Fabulous pictures !!! Should come to sunny AU soon (as weather is getting louzy here nowadays: Autumn-time mad.gif )

Glad you enjoyed yourself Sandeep! Your welcome anytime! Oh yer that 3rd landing was an absolute greaser, but we don't go into detail about a few others rolleyes.gif You were quite lucky, as normally failures etc arent done with additional pax, for "heart-attack" preventing reasons, not that its anything to get your heart jumping, but you know what some people are like flying!!!

That XR F100 was -FNJ, and we missed VYE the QF Commonwealth Games liveried 73H which flew in about 30mins after we left!!

Pieter, will have to do so.

look like you have lot of fun there laugh.gif ... nice pic bro.. what a big intersection... why it look small went i look it from a/c windows ??? love your vigrin blue.. wub.gif

Edited by Ibrahim

Its pronounce Gin Gin (Gin as in Ginger) not the way they say it on flightsim. And yes it does have a tower that is only active on weekdays when RAAF PC-9's (2FTS) and Hawk 127s (79sqn) use, as well as RSAF S.211 Marchetti's.

Oh and Sandeep EBV was on its way to SYD, so we later found out as "Qantas 1164"

Edited by Liam Gibb

congratulations sandeep, liam. thanx for sharing with us. one good thing about perth. the skies are always blue!

thanks for all the views guys!

Liam, thanks for that smile.gif it must have been carrying lots of Swans fans over for the celebration? smile.gif hehe

Nice photos of the Flying Roo. The photos you have are really close to the AC.

Do you need special permission to get that near or anyone can reach that place to spot ? ohmy.gif

G'day Sandeep, et al.

I believe on atleast one flight ex-MEL after the game, the CSM kept reminding the pax that Qantas' colours were red and white (ie, colours of the winning team Sydney Swans tongue.gif )

Hi All,

Perth Airport (WA) has some fantastic photography spots a lot of which are not accessable to the general public, however visiting spotters are always welcomed at Perth, and as Liam has demonstrated we are always willing to assist.

The photos from Perth were taken on the final approach phase to landing from the North onto RWY 21.

Greg Wood / Perth WA

As to what Greg has said, here in PER we're glad to show visiting spotters around, but in return all we ask is for responsible behaviour and a bit of common sense.

Liam, may I enquire on the possibility on your sponsorship for myself to return to Perth for some good old spotting?
Of course I will. If you charter me a bizjet to come up to SIN to personally give you the e-ticket biggrin.gif

guys is there any place for spotting inside the terminal at PER?
Yes, inside T1 (International Terminal) on the top floor is an indoor observation deck, or alternatively just to the south side is Bay 50 BBQ area. Unfortunately both spots are really only effective for photography in the morning, but fantastic for spotting every a/c movement. Much restricted viewing access from T2 and T3 (two domestic terminals). Edited by Liam Gibb

Sign in to follow this