MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Can flight-simmers fly real planes?

If the real pilots on a real plane are incapacitated for some reason, can a competent flight-simmer actually bring the plane down safely in one piece? In real-life that is. Just wondering ... :)

Not sure about flight simmer flying the real aircraft, but I know some real pilot CANNOT fly the MS flight sim.

Not sure about flight simmer flying the real aircraft, but I know some real pilot CANNOT fly the MS flight sim.

Hahaha ... I saw one RMAF pilot who kept crashing one of the flight simulators at LIMA '05. He just grinned away, though his kid was making fun of him, who actually flew much better. :D

If the real pilots on a real plane are incapacitated for some reason, can a competent flight-simmer actually bring the plane down safely in one piece? In real-life that is. Just wondering ... :)

I believe it is possible with autoland :)

I believe it is possible with autoland :)

I suppose the flight-simmers can calmly operate the radio and converse with ATC with little prob. Unless they are wetting their pants in panic ... :)

I suppose the flight-simmers can calmly operate the radio and converse with ATC with little prob. Unless they are wetting their pants in panic ... :)

I think most of the flight-simmers can use the autopilot feature calmly as well. As for the communication with ATC, I believe that I will have hard time for the readback if the ATC gives a long instruction.

...but I know some real pilot CANNOT fly the MS flight sim.

hmmm...i wonder why... does not make a good sense to me... :mellow:

In flight sim , it is said that the game physics and realism of some of the aircraft are close to 90% of the real aircraft .

UNFORTUNATELY , I have not tried it out .

Nevertheless , as far as systems go , should be absolutely no problem whatsoever .

I speak for myself .......

sounds like part of the story from Snake On The Plane.? :pardon: IMO, it depend on how familiar is he/she with FS, and he/she got how serious when playing FS. :pardon:

Edited by Samuel Chy

I say everytime;

a virtual pilot can fly an aircraft if he is experienced and advanced flightsimmer. He must know much more information about that he need to use aircraft or aircraft system logic basicly.So we are not talking about "only flightsimmer"!

maybe he can fly until an airport but I'm not sure would make a landing without any accident. I always thinking about it , if I would be live this scenery, can I land an aircraft safely??? just I'm sure one thing, I can do my best until fly to an airport but I'm not sure to make safe landing, even I did it, I'm not sure to be stay onto runway as one piece! we must be honest, it is a dream :) I woudn't be get this responsibility in real life with hunderets passanger behind of me.

when we talking about the same issue on our forums, one of real life flight instructors friends says; "did you do land a C152 in real life?once try it after that you have to talk about to landing an airliner!" .

but I'm sure ,I can help to pilot what ever he want; communication, settings, helps at least to reassure.

Hahaha ... I saw one RMAF pilot who kept crashing one of the flight simulators at LIMA '05. He just grinned away, though his kid was making fun of him, who actually flew much better.

Nevertheless , as far as systems go , should be absolutely no problem whatsoever .

Ok, summary...real life pilot cannot fly flight sim, real life simmers can fly an airplane... :lol:

Just Kidding....i agree with Hakan there...

Ok, summary...real life pilot cannot fly flight sim, real life simmers can fly an airplane... :lol:

Microsoft flight simulator I might not be able to fly, but Link-Miles (and similiar) type of simulator I surely can.

Too bad everytime I fly them they keep on having too many malfunctions... :pardon:

Edited by Radzi

imho... Flight sim can help you fly but doesnt guarantee you competency until u flew practically. Being able to use FS and fly, i think FS becomes better after you fly on a plane. Landing part is one of the most critical phase of flying, cruising to an airport is considered less difficult but it is not that easy either, all depends on the type of a/c you are in. Small planes are the easy ones, but a jet like a 737, is not that easy. A lot of consideration must be made especially if the runway is just 6000'(KT runway 6601') short. i think you cant stop if you land at 1500' marker.

A competent FS(flight simmer), may have no experience on how to handle switches and buttons on the MCP,and if its an emergency,trial and error might be a bad idea. Then the flaps handle,gears handle and the throttle... Able to help, yes.. but solely, difficult :) unless under supervision from somebody on the ground who can give specific instructions.

However if both pilots are unable to fly, a flight simmer is better then nothing.Just my 2 cents..hehe

Real pilots who cant fly the sim... hmm sim x shiok kut, not as real as it gets ;p

unless under supervision from somebody on the ground who can give specific instructions.

Thats what i always thinking of...if this situation happen to me...emergency of course...

Thats what i always thinking of...if this situation happen to me...emergency of course...

My opinion, an advance flightsimmer can do an autoland. Not manual landing. Reason being the aircraft is fast. 140kts charging to the ground and flare last minute is not easy to be swallowed by first timer on manual flight. In real life, the air isn't that smooth, constant correction needed. Thrust levers are heavy.Controls feels weird.

My best advice to anyone, make a mayday call, check the amount of fuel you have. Then try to fly the aircraft using autopilot if endurance permitted.

Then request radar vector for autoland.

I played MS simulator for many years before flying the real aircraft. MS simulator buttons, controls, conditions are simplified than real aircraft. Its definately feel different flying real aircraft on approach with constant movement & airspeed fluctuations than simulator in the room.

Not to mention MS simulator gives you false 'safe feeling' (you would survive even when you land the plane upside down)

I guess its possible for 'advanced simmers' to do an autoland provided no malfuction occur, but not a manual landing.

Flight Sim has come very far from its years in the 90's ... Aircraft systems are accurately modelled by 3rd party providers and they work in partnership with Boeing as well in some cases . But I would look at Flight Sim as an ' IDEAL CASE ' situation where many factors are not taken into account . Flight sim has us staring at a screen , no lives in our hands , no pressure whatsoever , so I would agree that , the Most accurate answer there is by Md. Rudy ..

It is safe to say that one can practice all types of approaches , play with the FMC , understand how everything works , but one thing that we definitely lack in is the ' feel ' of things . The immersion is not there .

But this sort of thing is mostly only understood by the very advanced simmers and not the ones playing top gun with flight sim

Cheers.

If you're one of those under the categories "VERY ADVANCED SIMMERS" i think it would not be a problem performing an automated landing under very normal circumstances..

Does Autoland gives a harder landing compare to manual land ?

Not really, in fact Autoland does its job perfectly.

When we fly the real aircraft for the first time after full flight simulator training, we watched & learned how autoland does it job before landing manually. B747-400 autoland can land safely with one engine fail & up to 25kt crosswind.

Not really, in fact Autoland does its job perfectly.

When we fly the real aircraft for the first time after full flight simulator training, we watched & learned how autoland does it job before landing manually. B747-400 autoland can land safely with one engine fail & up to 25kt crosswind.

since the autoland is better than the manual landing, why don't the pilot use autoland all the time ?

since the autoland is better than the manual landing, why don't the pilot use autoland all the time ?

Manual landing more challenging mah...got 'kick'! :lol:

I was once (as a teenager long long ago when this was still possible...) jumpseating on a Lufthansa 747 bound for Singapore. The captain decided to use autoland, and the computer produced a rather hard landing. The captain quoted this, shaking his head "Na, das können wir aber immer noch besser" ("Well, we still can do this better" )

Because autoland doesn't help us keep our 'handling skill' to the required standard. Most of the time we use autoland for low visibility approach only (CAT 2 or CAT 3 landing).

Note that autoland can do 25 knots crosswind while we can still do 30 knots crosswind with manual landing.

Beside, we have to go for simulator ride for basecheck/recency every 3 months & these are conducted with manual flying.

I was once (as a teenager long long ago when this was still possible...) jumpseating on a Lufthansa 747 bound for Singapore. The captain decided to use autoland, and the computer produced a rather hard landing. The captain quoted this, shaking his head "Na, das können wir aber immer noch besser" ("Well, we still can do this better" )

Ach so ... I had autolanding at DXB during the days when MH did KUL/DXB/LHR, on a 743 - was in the jumpseat. A few years later again found myself in the jumpseat of an MH 744 landing at LAX. Also autolanding. Very smooth on both occasions, but the LAX one more memorable. :D

Edited by Naim

Sign in to follow this