MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
xtemujin

45 feared dead, 9 injured in Penghu plane crash, Taiwan

45 feared dead, 9 injured in Penghu plane crash

By Elizabeth Hsu | 23 July 2014 Wednesday | 20:52:11

Taipei, July 23 (CNA) As many as 45 people are feared dead and nine people are injured after a passenger plane operated by TransAsia Airways crashed on the outlying island county of Penghu Wednesday.

The local fire department said that the 45 had no life signs after the twin-engine turboprop ATR 72 crashed just outside Magong airport around 7 p.m.

The flight, coded GE 222, took off at 5 p.m. in Kaohsiung and was scheduled to land at Magong 35 minutes later. The reason the crash happened over an hour later was not immediately clear.

(By Elizabeth Hsu)
ENDITEM/WH

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201407230032.aspx

Edited by xtemujin

This is not a good year for aviation is it? I took AE Embraer 190 to Magong and B7's DH8-300 back to TSA...a very beautiful place. Thoughts are prayers to those onboard...so sad...

Sad. There's a typhoon running amuck there now and that must surely have played a role.

RIP to all those who perished in yet another 2014 aviation disaster. Sad year!

Yesterday, I returned from NGO and my flight clearly avoided the typhoon system by flying well east of Taiwan. We flew south, then over the Philippines and only turned west near BKI. Even though we avoided the violent weather system, we still encountered turbulence for most of the flight.

The ATR probably encountered a micro burst that sent it to the ground. So sad to see news of air crashes....

Yesterday, I returned from NGO and my flight clearly avoided the typhoon system by flying well east of Taiwan. We flew south, then over the Philippines and only turned west near BKI. Even though we avoided the violent weather system, we still encountered turbulence for most of the flight.

And we on ground here nearby BKI were hammered morning and evening though we are supposed to be the land below the wind

Aircraft: ATR 72-500 (212A)

Construction Number (MSN) 642
First Flight 14. Jun 2000
Age 14.1 Years
Test registration F-WWED
mwpope.jpg
w7gaqb.jpg
1zybst0.jpg
Photo Credit:FocusTaiwan

Pretty lucky to have survivors in this incidence. The plane looked quite smashed up.

Sign in to follow this