Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

Everything Scoot

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#41 Josh T

Josh T
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

That means more demand for durian..... and increase in price. Better not.

I agree! Durians are already so expensive!! :angry:

All in-flight meals will feature durian.

:rofl: Good one! Although, it will scare all the caucasian and non-SEA passengers away. :lol:

#42 Johan Z

Johan Z
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

Since they aim for backpackers and budget-conscious public, shouldn't be a problem!

#43 S V Choong

S V Choong
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

I agree! Durians are already so expensive!!

Okay then, how about Laksa Express?

#44 alberttky

alberttky
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) has formed a new subsidiary company for its proposed low-cost airline, which is expected to start operations within a year.

The wholly-owned subsidiary, New Aviation, has been incorporated on Friday with an issued and paid up capital of S$1.

In a filing with the Singapore Exchange, SIA said the new unit will be involved in "air transport" activities. A company spokesperson said the subsidiary is set up for the new low-cost airline and it was just a "technical step".

In May, SIA said the new no-frills, low-fare airline will operate wide-body aircraft on medium and long-haul routes.

SIA said that following extensive review and analysis, it is setting up the low-cost airline to address growing consumer demand for budget travel. The new airline will be operated and managed separately from SIA.

SIA said that more details will be announced by the new airline's management team at a later date, including its branding, products and services, and route network.

http://www.channelne...1135770/1/.html

#45 Y. J. Foo

Y. J. Foo
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

Are they going to operate under that name or another one?

With that kind of name I can imagine a whole lot of confusion among Mandarin speakers...

#46 KC Sim

KC Sim
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

With a start-up capital of just S$1, it sure is a low cost carrier indeed. But New Aviation is definitely not the name of the airline that will be established - perhaps just a holding company from where everything else associated with the new LCC will be formulated without being linked to Singapore Airlines.

Could not have been a more unimaginative name though.

KC Sim

#47 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

Could not have been a more unimaginative name though.

Could have been "New Singapore Airlines Owned Low Cost Carrier Pte Ltd" :P

#48 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

Could have been "New Singapore Airlines Owned Low Cost Carrier Pte Ltd" :P

Ya, we are quite good at that - Project "place-the-project-name-here" Sdn Bhd.

#49 Ikman Ikreza

Ikman Ikreza
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

Singapore Airlines names Wilson CEO of new low-cost carrier unit .
On Monday 18 July 2011, 17:26 SGT

SINGAPORE, July 18 (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines said on Monday that Campbell Wilson will be the first CEO of the new no-frills, low-fare airline that it plans to launch next year.

Wilson, 40, has been with SIA for more than 15 years. He joined the Singapore flag carrier in April 1996 in Auckland and held marketing and sales positions in New Zealand as well as Australia. (Reporting by Kevin Lim)

Source : http://sg.finance.ya...399446.html?x=0

#50 J. Suri

J. Suri
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

SQ launched Tiger Airways to compete with AK and end up with 'Broken Image'. This one is going to be the same but in the 'long way'. =@

#51 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

SQ launched Tiger Airways to compete with AK and end up with 'Broken Image'. This one is going to be the same but in the 'long way'. =@

Well at least they launched new airlines to compete with LCCs.

MH used FY and pretended to be a "community airline" (whatever that means) flying turboprops out of the PEN "HQ". We now know that this is a backdoor LCC masquerading as a "community airline". MH simply did not really know how to best compete with LCCs.

However, both SQ and MH have found out that LCCs are really tough competitors. It should be interesting to see what comes out of this new long haul LCC from SQ.

Edited by flee, 20 July 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#52 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Wonder if any SQ 744s will be transferred over. Would be lovely to see the 744s in LCC colours

#53 Josh T

Josh T
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Wonder if any SQ 744s will be transferred over. Would be lovely to see the 744s in LCC colours

Highly unlikely. The 744s would not be very economical. I reckon we'll see the 772 or the 333 in the new SQ LCC.

#54 Tamizi Hj Tamby

Tamizi Hj Tamby
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

Highly unlikely. The 744s would not be very economical. I reckon we'll see the 772 or the 333 in the new SQ LCC.

Well said; Remember what happened to Oasis Hong Kong? Hopefully they will operating 333,just like D7 did.

#55 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

The newer 744s are already destined for BCF conversions and will be used by SIA Cargo. The A333s are far too new to be tranferred. The old 772s would be ideal candidates as they can be refurbished and fitted with high density seating configurations.

#56 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

SIA to operate long-haul low-cost unit using Boeing 777-200s

Singapore Airlines will operate its planned long-haul low-cost carrier unit using Boeing 777-200s.

The aircraft, which will be acquired from its parent company, will be reconfigured with a new seating layout, Singapore Airlines said.

SIA declined to specify the number of aircraft earmarked for the new carrier.

"The low-cost airline will be using our 777-200 derated aircraft," it said.

"It is not certain that there will be software upgrade plans for the 777-200s."

It cites the "proven versatility and reliability" of the 777-200s as key drivers for the decision.

"The selection of the initial fleet marks another milestone in the establishment of the new airline," said Campbell Wilson, the newly-appointed CEO of the new airline.

"The process is progressing well for our launch next year. The new airline will operate under a no-frills, low-fare model serving medium and long-haul routes. It will be operated independently and be managed separately from Singapore Airlines," Wilson said.

The parent company is yet to name the new carrier.

Source: http://www.flightglo...ing-boeing.html

#57 JuliusWong

JuliusWong
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

I assume the six B772ER returning from RBA will be among the first to be reconfigured. SQ's fleet offers quite nice flexibility.

#58 keekeat

keekeat
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

I assume the six B772ER returning from RBA will be among the first to be reconfigured. SQ's fleet offers quite nice flexibility.

I think 1 of the RBA B772 is heading to Air Pacific, but, yes, agreed the soon-to-be ex-RBA units will be first in line for SQ LCC.

But I suspect they are probably aiming for a 'grand' start, with more B772s than we ever imagined. SQ is replacing some B772 sectors from the parent airline ops, including re-activating a B744 for HKG operations! So, I bet the B772 currently deployed to HKG/CGK will be transferred over to LCC.

Also, read that they will reconfig the aircraft to have 10 seats abreast on B777s! 3-4-3.....

#59 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Sorry, OT

What is BI going to fly long haul if the 772's are being returned ?
Are they that early in the 787 queue ?

#60 JuliusWong

JuliusWong
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

I think 1 of the RBA B772 is heading to Air Pacific, but, yes, agreed the soon-to-be ex-RBA units will be first in line for SQ LCC.

But I suspect they are probably aiming for a 'grand' start, with more B772s than we ever imagined. SQ is replacing some B772 sectors from the parent airline ops, including re-activating a B744 for HKG operations! So, I bet the B772 currently deployed to HKG/CGK will be transferred over to LCC.

Also, read that they will reconfig the aircraft to have 10 seats abreast on B777s! 3-4-3.....

Thanks for the details, Keekeat. Being one of the largest operator of B777 previously, SQ has a great operational flexibility when it comes to fleet. Those B777s with old regional seat may not get to be reconfigured with new J and Y class, rather heading towards SQ LCC directly.

May I know where are they getting the reactivated B744? As far as I know they are now down to last four/five B744. 3-4-3 in a B777 is a torture.....heading EK's way.

BTW, Welcome to MWings, keekeat! Happy flying!

Sorry, OT

What is BI going to fly long haul if the 772's are being returned ?
Are they that early in the 787 queue ?

Four will be returning to SQ soon by end of the year. Therefore leaving two B777s doing LHR route. The lease was signed for a year and a half in 2009.

Yes, BI's five B787 are booked under LCAL,a Dubai based leasing firm. In 2008, LCAL was one of pioneers to book an order, 16 was ordered (for RBA and Royal Jordanian). By early 2009, LCAL had cancelled all but five of order. All five are destined to RBA, presumably.

(Source: http://www.bt.com.bn...ei-tokyo-routes, http://seattletimes....ebboeing05.html)

Edited by JuliusWong, 23 July 2011 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users