MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Andi C

Helicopter Carrying Muhyiddin Makes Emergency Landing In Tuaran

Helicopter Carrying Muhyiddin Makes Emergency Landing In Tuaran

KOTA KINABALU, Aug 16 (Bernama) -- A military Nuri helicopter carrying Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin made a forced landing in Tuaran, about 45km from here, due to bad weather.

There were 14 other passengers in the helicopter, including Muhyiddin's press secretary Datuk Ainon Mohd and Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Yahya Hussin.

All passengers, however, escaped unhurt.

According to Ainon, they were heading to the Kota Kinabalu International Airport from Kudat after the deputy minister opened the Kudat Umno division meeting at about 1.45pm.

"He is scheduled to open the Penampang Umno division meeting later today," she told Bernama here.

Ainon said following the incident, Muhyiddin had asked Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman to open the Umno meeting in Penampang on his behalf.

Meanwhile, speaking to reporters at the airport before leaving for Kuala Lumpur, Muhyiddin said he was grateful that all passengers in the helicopter were safe.

While admitting that this was the first time he ever experienced the suspense of an emergency landing, Muhyiddin said:"I think the pilot had made the right decision (emergency landing) because the weather was really bad."

-- BERNAMA

FYI Tuaran is located to the north of Kota Kinabalu

Since when TUDM is a part of Biro Pengangkutan UMNO?

Kuala Dimensi jets no longer available, bro. :D

Hopefully this will assist to accelerate the Nuri replacement programme, though incident not attributable to any hardware issue

Yeah, the sky looked quite ferocious from the northward direction earlier today

Been wet here for good part of the day too

Kuala Dimensi jets no longer available, bro. :D

I thought only off limits to MCA top gun only ? :p

I'd prefer it to crashland and everyone was injured in some minor way.. you know.. so that they know how blardy old the Nuri's are and get on with the purchase of the new heli's...!!!

This is what the Minister of Defence has been praying for... a billion dollar helicopter purchase contract! He must now be rubbing his hands with glee! :D

haha..mana boleh nak rasmi UMNO meeting division pakai helikopter TUDM..wakaka

Yes, misuse and abuse of nation's assets! :finger:

According to Ainon, they were heading to the Kota Kinabalu International Airport from Kudat after the deputy minister opened the Kudat Umno division meeting at about 1.45pm.

So what is the MACC doing? Sleeping?

Was it a Sikorsky S-61 Nuri or the white VIP Agusta AS-61N1 :pardon:

Yes, misuse and abuse of nation's assets! :finger:

I remembered back in 2003 or 2004 while eating at Tasik Raban, Lenggong, Perak...the DPM at that time landed in the RMAF BlackHawk on a school field to attend his party meeting.

Edited by MIR

Was it a Sikorsky S-61 Nuri or the white VIP Agusta AS-61N1 :pardon:

I remembered back in 2003 or 2004 while eating at Tasik Raban, Lenggong, Perak...the DPM at that time landed in the RMAF BlackHawk on on a school field to attend his party meeting.

According to TV3 pictures, it is the green ones.

Anyway these abuse of government assets has been going on for a long time, and since PR side never make a fuss about it, it is fair to assume they intend to do the same when they are in power.

Anyway these abuse of government assets has been going on for a long time, and since PR side never make a fuss about it, it is fair to assume they intend to do the same when they are in power.

Sounds about rite Capt.

haha..mana boleh nak rasmi UMNO meeting division pakai helikopter TUDM..wakaka

If these people knew how to differentiate between party property and government property, rasanya none of the pembangkangs would ever live to see the light of the next GE... :)

Hahaha, yes but at the rate the MACC is doing things, they might never get to see the insides of TUDM aircraft! ;)

I think it was a precautionary landing. Good decision by the Pilot to wait for weather improvement. No big deal at all.

Don't know much about the related political issues and the MACC etc etc. But I'd dare a guess that the DPM and the PM and to a smaller extent the Cabinet Ministers does have some allocated hours for use of RMAF Transport equipment.

These flights could have been programmed into or around Pilot Training Navex and general handling exercises for pilot profiency. In other words, instead of just flying around the training flights empty, these flights are also used to carry these VIPs around. Quite normal in times of peace.

Seems like there are some trigger happy forummers here just as there are in the Gomen. Both sides occasionally shooting own foot :)

I think that VVIPs like PM and DPM would definitely not be on training flights! Note that most accidents happen during training flights. In this case, the pilot (knowing the limitations of his aircraft) might have just exercised his common sense and decided not to risk flying through bad weather. So it was a good call - better to be safe than sorry.

I think that VVIPs like PM and DPM would definitely not be on training flights! Note that most accidents happen during training flights. In this case, the pilot (knowing the limitations of his aircraft) might have just exercised his common sense and decided not to risk flying through bad weather. So it was a good call - better to be safe than sorry.

You think wrongly.

There are various types of training flights, and these kinds of flights also includes audit flights. On many of these flights for VIPs, trainees are utilised as another pair of eyes for the crew, augmentation cruise duties for long haul multi sector operations etc etc. Just the other day I met a friend from DCA who flew the PM to Kuching on the ACJ. By all intent and purpose, that can be considered a training flight as an audit was also carried out on the operations of Jet Premier One.

Certainly the RMAF will not put VIPS on endorsement, aerobatic and/or airworks flights.

But I'd dare a guess that the DPM and the PM and to a smaller extent the Cabinet Ministers does have some allocated hours for use of RMAF Transport equipment.

As long as they travel as a government official (PM, DPM or whatsoever) then it is their right to do so. Only if they travel on purely personal or party purposes that it will attract some concern.

In this case he could declare the DPM meeting the people session, then it will be okay.

MACC has failed recently in prosecuting an ex-CPO of Sabah for use of police aircraft to oversee his personal plantation. Doubt MACC will even consider to investigates non-duty use of gomen assets by their bosses.

Unless there is an independent oversight committee/commission to audit executive privileges, executive can always bend the rules.

:drinks:

You think wrongly.

There are various types of training flights, and these kinds of flights also includes audit flights. On many of these flights for VIPs, trainees are utilised as another pair of eyes for the crew, augmentation cruise duties for long haul multi sector operations etc etc. Just the other day I met a friend from DCA who flew the PM to Kuching on the ACJ. By all intent and purpose, that can be considered a training flight as an audit was also carried out on the operations of Jet Premier One.

Certainly the RMAF will not put VIPS on endorsement, aerobatic and/or airworks flights.

OK now that we know that only certain types of training flights can be used for politician's transportation, this gives a clearer picture. Yes, I would say audit flights are no more riskier than normal flights - as far as the safety of the passengers on board is concerned.

Would be interesting to find out whether our DPM's schedule was designed to accomodate requirements of crews' training programme, or the other way round :)

Can you imagine office of DPM calling up RMAF flight training centre to enquire whether can tumpang (hitch a ride) or not ?!

Ok lah, at least now OTK has got valid justification to be flying on KDSB's jets - doing audit what. He is top gun at Transport Ministry after all, and jets (private or otherwise) is a mode of transport kan ? If boss say want to audit, go lah :D

Would be interesting to find out whether our DPM's schedule was designed to accomodate requirements of crews' training programme, or the other way round :)

Can you imagine office of DPM calling up RMAF flight training centre to enquire whether can tumpang (hitch a ride) or not ?!

Ok lah, at least now OTK has got valid justification to be flying on KDSB's jets - doing audit what. He is top gun at Transport Ministry after all, and jets (private or otherwise) is a mode of transport kan ? If boss say want to audit, go lah :D

BC,

I am just being very careful with my words with the intent of sharing what little i know of the system that is not based on assumptions, and flee's response is indeed gratifying. I am not defending nor justifying any perceived abuse, if you know how much income tax I paid last year, you'd appreciate my concern on where the money I paid to the Gahmen goes to. I look with dismay at how rakyat's money were/are being used. Its just that my personal expression of such concern is misplaced at this aviation enthusiasts' website.

The Minister of Transport cannot declare an audit flight at his whims and fancies as these decisions are the domain of bona fide licensed and qualified pilots. Not by pretenders who claim to be experts in a complicated, regulated and diverse field such as aviation by virtue of soaking knowledge from a computer screen, or by the (mis)fortune of being voted into the position.

It won't come to a point where the TPM's ofice would ask to tumpang. But, the Air Force does have a utilisation chart for their aircraft, and can smartly plan to build in this kind of flights so there can be added value to the whole plot. There are still some fairly smart people even in the worst Gahmen department/ services.

Anyway, its gone way of topic. This thread is about the piece of news about the DPM's Chopper making an unscheduled stop to avoid weather, something that is an airmanship decision. And a wise one at that.

Along the way, opinions based on assumptions about the technical issues related to the Nuri, procurement, abuse, MACC, politics, etc etc came into the picture. Even wishing for harm to befall those on board!!! All unrelated to aviation.

Better to think small and keep to topic. Which is about how good the Pilots' decision were, their assessment of weather, possible degradation of NavAids in stormy weather at the lower altitudes the Helis operate at, the terrain they are flying over, aircraft performance with the deluge of water ingestion, consideration towards the 'precious' cargo in the form of human lives on board irregardless if VVIP or not.

More befitting of this website's intent, NO?

• Like 2