MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jian Loh

A380 Superjumbo Makes 1st Flight To LAX

3/19/07 - 0930 - Landed at LAX

Finally, the 101 Super, Airbus Industries A380-841 F-WWOW, was touching down at Los Angeles International Airport to complete its bicoastal American unveiling. She was scheduled to land at LAX on time at 9:30am on short-final to RWY 24R. Although the weather wasn't the best, it was still an historic event to witness.

Once again, khor and i decided to wake up 6:00am early in the morning to shot on this jumbo beast. Hopefully you guys enjoy the LIVE report from LAX, and have a brief idea for what's going on for the big day at LAX. Check it out, y'all.....

*In N Out park is one of the famous spot of the day. These "early birds" had been at the park by the time we arrived at 7:25am.

WARNING: No chicks at all early in the morning *

msianwings1.jpg

msianwings4.jpg

msianwings2.jpg

*Medias were ready for Live radio broadcast for those early birds*

I bet this fatty buddy was so excited and nervous being interview by the reporter...smile... :rofl:

msianwings3.jpg

*In N Out was opened early as well. They use to open the store at 10:30am. What to do, it's all about $$$ *

msianwings6.jpg

*Warming up and getting ready for the gears*

msianwings13.jpg

msianwings12.jpg

msianwings7.jpg

msianwings8.jpg

Of course, Mr.Khor was getting excited and ready for the gear as well.

msianwings5.jpg

*Welcome by Korean Air B777 early in the morning*

msianwings10.jpg

msianwings11.jpg

msianwings9.jpg

Hey guys, it's time for bed....stay tune and more to come...

Love the pictorial story, excellent shots Jian of behind-the-scene, I bet those are all a.nutters :pardon:

Next plz, faster :pardon:

Jian,

Excellent impression of the crouds.....too bad the weather wasn't too cooperative, it seems :(

Looking forward to the 'real stuff' !!!

Jian Loh, nice coverage on the interesting event! we're eagerly anticipating your "main course" .. hehe ..

thanks for sharing! :-)

great coverage and high quality photos!! I want the main course!

Very unteresting behind the scene scenario. Compare that to A380 visit to KUL almost 2 years ago. A reporter interviewing a spotter? Don't think will ever happen here.

Nice shots so far Jian :good: :drinks:

Some spotters waiting for the A380 also has been waiting there since 6:00a.m. :) :pardon:

1.00 am - zzzzZZZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzz

5.45 am - Alarm Clock was ringing, reset the clock.

5.47 am - Rolling on the bed

5.52 am - Wake up and look out from window, Very bad weather foggy.

5.53 am - Taking shower.

6.12 am – Prepare my gear.

6.32 am - Start my car to LAX

6.40 am - Forgot to pump gas yesterday, goto Chevron Gas Station 15.27 gallon * $3.29/g = $50.37

6.55 am - Continue journey to LAX

7.20 am - Traffic Jam on Freeway 105 for 20min

7.45 am - Arrive at Park Spot garage but office not allow us to take photo from the garage structure.

7.46 am - We take elevator to down strait. This dude looks like sleepy.

jian.jpg

8.08 am - 40-50 airbus die hard are waiting at the IN-N-OUT park, the temporary surveillance camera setting up at park.

pa4rk.jpg

8.10 am - Jian is testing on his camera, "What setting should I use?" due to bad weather.

jian1.jpg

8.30 am - Korean Air approaching RWY 24R, everyone testing on their camera for better setting.

DSC_2980.jpg

8.53 am - More and more people coming.

DSC_2986.jpg

8.55 am - Jian find a good spot, and ask me to grab my 80-400mm lens for landing shot.

8.57 am - I rush back to parking garage and change my lens.

9.09 am - On my way to meet Jian, Lincoln Blvd is closed at few hundred people gather at sidewalk for A380 coming

DSC_2993.jpg

9.15 am - Police office is coming, some stupid people leave a suitcase next to sidewalk.

DSC_3009.jpg

9.16 am - K-9 Bomb Detector arrive at the scene to disarm the suitcase. Result, fault alarm. I continue my walk to meet Jian

DSC_3011.jpg

9.26 am - GET READY FOR AIRBUS A380 COMING……………………..continue

So many stalling :pardon: I guess you guys got lucky the police didn't ask to clear the place, that will be disaster, nice pictorial KHOR, cepatlah!!! :pardon:

Thanks for the nice behind-the-scene pictorial, Jian n Khor!! Lotsa peoples there n I missed In n Out ... :sorry:

Where is the main dish lah!!

Wait till my neck become long long loh... ;p cepat cepat ...

I think you can get the live video about the bomb threat that Khor mentioned. =@

A380 Bomb Threat

This is the "luggage with bomb" :spiteful: that made attention besides the Super. Courtesy of Jian. Again. "I WANT THE SUPER".

11.jpg

So many stalling :pardon: I guess you guys got lucky the police didn't ask to clear the place, that will be disaster, nice pictorial KHOR, cepatlah!!! :pardon:

That's right, Seth. I was nervous as well just because it was 9:10am when the police officer found the suitcase. They might clear the place anytime if they really want to do so. God bless they didn't take the action.

msianwings14.jpg

msianwings15.jpg

msianwings16.jpg

msianwings17.jpg

Edited by Jian Loh

9.26 am - United 747-400 approaching to 24R

DSC_3050.jpg

9.29 am - Finally, Superjumbo A380 is coming

DSC_3051.jpg

9.30 am - A380 passing by Lincoln Blvd

DSC_3060.jpg

DSC_3075.jpg

DSC_3080.jpg

DSC_3084.jpg

wohoo, mwings coverage is good.

WHY???..maybe new cargo door... did you guys notice,,,,No more MH logo somewhere there!! FedEx too :mellow:

mana MH logo on the fuselage? I can't find!

nice coverage of the beast from LAX!! you guys rocks!

Edited by Kevin Teh

wohoo, mwings coverage is good.

WHY???..maybe new cargo door... did you guys notice,,,,No more MH logo somewhere there!! FedEx too :mellow:

Yep, I did notice that. The MAS logo on the other side of fuselage

Salute! :hi:

Nice coverage of the 380 in LAX...

I like the pix of the guy with his 1DMkII (??) and big-fat-while-lens on monopod...

I'm sure he's trying to ident the pilot of the A380... :rofl:

Good stuff Jian&Khor :good:

Nice shots, guys...

The JFK A380 still had UPS stickers on her 'big belly', despite the cancellation :o

Seems, indeed, this one has a replaced cargo-door...

Wah !!! :yahoo: Always covered by MWings member wherever A380 go. Great coverage there, guys!!! :good:

Thai International Airway's logo also half missing... :pardon: Must the new cargo door mentioned by TK.

mmm... Have u guys notice the attitude of wheels on the main landing gears of A380 are different from other a/c. The front most wheels on each main-landing gear is tilted down as oppose tilted up for the others. This is something new. New design philosophy, perhaps? :help:

Wah !!! :yahoo: Always covered by MWings member wherever A380 go. Great coverage there, guys!!! :good:

Thai International Airway's logo also half missing... :pardon: Must the new cargo door mentioned by TK.

mmm... Have u guys notice the attitude of wheels on the main landing gears of A380 are different from other a/c. The front most wheels on each main-landing gear is tilted down as oppose tilted up for the others. This is something new. New design philosophy, perhaps? :help:

B767 and A310 are tilted down as well. So it wasn't new :lol: But the fuselage "3 by 3" gears like 777 are tilted down instead of up is new though.

Wonderful coverage from LAX guyz, all cheers goes to Jian and KHOR :drinks:

They sent in 747 before A380, just like at HKG last time :lol: Yeah, in da pix, the police bike guy seems to be incharge, haha. And it's really funny to see the pix when the police try to clear the suitcase, everyone's eyes at the sky :p R we ready for departure action?