MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nabiel Haniff

Ethopian Airlines Crashed - Another 737Max

NAIROBI (Reuters) - An Ethiopian Airlines flight to Nairobi crashed early on Sunday with 149 passengers and eight crew members aboard, a spokesman for the airline told Reuters.

Flight ET 302 crashed near the town of Bishoftu, 62 kilometres southeast of the capital Addis Ababa, the airline said, confirming the plane was a Boeing 737-800 MAX.

It is confirmed it happened 8.44 (am)," said the spokesman who did not give his name.

The prime minister's office sent condolences via Twitter to the families of those lost in the crash.

(Reporting by Maggie Fick and Duncan Miriri; Writing by Duncan Miriri; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2019/03/10/ethiopian-airlines-says-flight-has-crashed-with-149-passengers-and-eight-crew-members/#47Ajg5Bc7dsWQhr8.99

Perhaps there is a need to ground all Max8 for the time being?

China grounds 737 Max following Ethiopian disaster

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/china-grounds-737-max-following-ethiopian-disaster-456499/

Accident Bulletin no. 5

Issued on March 11, 2019 at 07:08 AM Local Time

Following the Tragic accident of ET 302/10 March B-737-8 MAX (ET-AVJ), Ethiopian Airlines has decided to ground all B-737-8 MAX fleet effective yesterday March 10, 2019 until further notice.

Although we dont yet know the cause of the accident, we had to decide to ground the particular fleet as extra safety precaution.

Ethiopian Airlines will release further information as soon as it is available, through the airlines website and social media pages.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/corporate/media/media-relations/latest-press

Edited by flee

seeing the passenger list, quite a diversity . After I did some reading, turns out 19 UN staff killed in Ethiopian air crash .

This comes just 2days after MH370 5years anniversary .phew.

Azmin: Khazanah urged to revisit Boeing 737 MAX agreement in light of latest crash

KUALA LUMPUR: Khazanah Nasional Bhd's top management has been urged to revisit the agreement on Malaysia Airlines Bhd's purchase of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, says Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali.

He said the matter should be looked into to ensure the safety of passengers.

“Certainly the management of Khazanah should look into the matter urgently. This is to ensure the safety of the airline, which is paramount.

“They have to revisit whatever agreement they had in the past,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby on Monday (March 11).

The 737 MAX, which was introduced in 2017, is the latest version of Boeing's workhorse narrow-body 737 jet.

Boeing and MAS entered into an memorandum of understanding to acquire 16 airplanes – eight 787 Dreamliners and eight 737 MAX aircraft – during former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak's visit to Washington DC two years ago.

“This matter must be looked into, I will get an explanation from the management of Khazanah,” Azmin said.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/03/11/azmin-khazanah-urged-to-revisit-boeing-737-max-agreement-in-light-of-latest-crash/#OOSdJfMylt3DjloQ.99

I think this nose up issue is more severe with the Max 7/8 because the fuselage is shorter - so the engines are located much further forward.

With the Max 9/10, the longer fuselage might tidy up the aerodynamics a little.

MH are scheduled to begin Max 8 deliveries next year - it would be prudent to check details with Boeing and maybe postpone deliveries, if there is a problem that requires Boeing to redesign or fix the aircraft.

MAB has already said the B787 MoU has lapsed. So the original order for 25 737 Max with 25 options will remain. I am not sure if the conversion of 10 Max 8s to Max 10s was ever firmed up.

Wonder if this could be a catalyst for MAS to convert to an all-Airbus fleet.

But the 25 orders are firm yes? I did read somewhere MAS is looking to finance for 8 planes. Is that not part of the 25+25?

Politicians talking nonsense as usual.

Investigators haven’t even finished the investigation over the FIRST 737 MAX crash. The jury is still out on the issue of the MAX’s airworthiness. And it’s especially too early for MAS to relook or reconsider the MAX order.

If politics want to play a hand, gov may want to give airbus more incentives to set up the Airbus FAL in Malaysia...

Seems far fetched but anything can happen

seeing the passenger list, quite a diversity . After I did some reading, turns out 19 UN staff killed in Ethiopian air crash .

This comes just 2days after MH370 5years anniversary .phew.

One of the victim/deceased was known by a number of my colleagues.

MI is temporarily withdrawing its Max 8 fleet from service

Right now, there is too much uncertainty about the safety of the aircraft and Boeing has said nothing that helps boost confidence in it. Good decision by MI - the grounding will probably be for a week or so since they have found the CVR/FDRs. They will then be able to review this decision once the NTSB makes a preliminary report.

See:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-grounds-boeing-737-max-aircraft-caas-silkair-11334980

CA will substitute their PEK-KUL 7M8 with A330 (currently showing operating 4 weekly flights) and CZ will substitute their CAN-KUL 7M8 with 738NG

MI is temporarily withdrawing its Max 8 fleet from service

It's a little more than that. CAAS is forbidding Max 8 into their airspace

If you like to see the internet's reaction, visit WN and AA (as in American Airlines) social media. Interns are going to be up all night (and poor UA have to tell pax that theirs is Max 9, not Max 8).

It doesn't make the EASA and especially the FAA look good if CAAs around the world start grounding the fleet whilst they let theirs in the air. I imagine they'd succumb to "peer pressure" (sorry for the lack of better word) soon.

And AFAIK, only CA, CZ, and MI currently flies the Max 8 to KUL.

Edited by Craig

It doesn't make the EASA and especially the FAA look good if CAAs around the world start grounding the fleet whilst they let theirs in the air. I imagine they'd succumb to "peer pressure" (sorry for the lack of better word) soon.

And AFAIK, only CA, CZ, and MI currently flies the Max 8 to KUL.

I don't think so, given that the FAA should & would know better seeing as they're the ones who certified it, and has a conduit to the investigation via the NTSB.

I don't think so, given that the FAA should & would know better seeing as they're the ones who certified it, and has a conduit to the investigation via the NTSB.

That's true. Whilst we don't have all the facts in regards to ET302, it looks eerily similar to JT610. And if you have a few large CAAs grounding the jet, it just makes the FAA looks negligent.

Grounding the 7M8 or not, I am not going to step foot on this plane (it's pretty easy to avoid for most Malaysians) until a fix is proposed (plus a few more months). And this is coming from a guy who flew MH after the twin tragedies. Caveat: this is coming from a regular pax, not a pilot nor a person who knows much about engines, MCAS etc, but I am aware that air travel is still safer than driving, but when I am given a choice of a self-drive holiday in say Germany or Thailand, I'd choose Germany in a heartbeat.

Edited by Craig

Sign in to follow this