MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Kong

Singapore Plans to Build Terminal 4 at Changi

SINGAPORE : Minister of State for Transport Lim Hwee Hua told Parliament on Thursday that Singapore will have a Terminal 4 at Changi Airport.

The news comes just two months after Singapore opened the S$1.75 billion Terminal 3 in January.

Meanwhile, the Budget Terminal will undergo a S$10 million expansion to increase its handling capacity.

Changi Airport's Terminal 3 got off to a flying start, serving 838 flights and 232,000 passengers in the first week of operations, after it opened on January 9.

There had been talk that a fourth terminal will be added next to the airport's proposed third runway, currently used by air force jets.

While no details were given, the Transport Ministry on Thursday confirmed that Singapore will have a Terminal 4.

Mrs Lim said, "To continue to ensure that we have sufficient capacity to accommodate growth in the aviation market, the master planning for Terminal 4 has started. In the near term, the focus will be on the expansion of the Budget Terminal and the upgrading of Terminal 1."

The Budget Terminal, which handled 2.9 million passengers since it opened in March 2006, will be expanded at a cost of S$10 million.

A total of nine low-cost carriers will operate out of it this year, including AirAsia which began plying the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route from February 1.

These budget airlines have contributed 3.6 million or around 10 percent of Changi's passenger traffic. The number of weekly schedule flights has also climbed from 124 in March 2006 to 248 last month.

Mrs Lim said, "We will be expanding the Budget Terminal from its current capacity of 2.7 million passengers per annum to 7 million passengers per annum at an estimated cost of S$10 million. We target to commence construction in July this year and to complete the expansion by early 2009."

Today, the Budget Terminal is connected to 20 cities in the region, up from 12 cities in 2006.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said the expansion is timely as passenger traffic is expected to grow with ASEAN's goal to remove restrictions on passenger flights between ASEAN capitals by December this year.

The expansion will include another seven check-in counters, three more boarding gates and new baggage handling equipment. The kerbside at the arrival hall will be widened to create more room for arriving passengers waiting for vehicles to pick them up.

The expansion of the Budget Terminal will increase its floor area from 25,000 square metres to 28,700 square metres.

In all, Changi Airport handled 36.7 million passengers last year. But even as the growth of Changi as an air hub remains healthy, Mrs Lim said it faces stiff competition from Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hong Kong and even Dubai.

She said, "Dubai International Airport, the largest aviation hub of the Middle East, is expected to overtake Changi's passenger traffic volume this year, crossing the 40 million passenger mark. Dubai is a formidable competitor for the Australia-Europe traffic. It is seeing phenomenal growth in passenger volume, with an almost 20 percent increase last year."

Thus, there will be more efforts to strengthen Singapore's status as an air hub. This includes pushing for air liberalisation and getting more airlines to fly to the city state. - CNA/ms

Source: Channelnewsasia

So fast preparing for Terminal 4 already... power power power <_>

...In all, Changi Airport handled 36.7 million passengers last year. But even as the growth of Changi as an air hub remains healthy, Mrs Lim said it faces stiff competition from Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hong Kong and even Dubai....

More like stiff competition Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai (minus KUL) ....

Another new shopping complex cum foodcourt for Singaporean families.

I wonder where the heck will they plan to build Terminal 4. Maybe costal road has to go more far east, build the 4th terminal over present costal road and use underground skytrain to transport pax to T2 clear immigration.

2 cents idea perhaps. :pardon:

I hate airports with various T1, T2 and so on...you've got to remember which ones you'll be arriving or departing when you arrange for driver pickup.

At NRT, flights to and from N.America use both T1 and T2...you've got to memorize which airlines use T1 and T2. Once you get in, you've to to figure your airline's check-in counter is either at Northern or Southern side.

At TPE, CI use both T1 and T2...you've got to memorize CI arrivals and departure to Japan and N.America use T2 and T1 for the rest.

I find KIX and HKG are certainly user-friendly for passengers...just get to terminal building and follow the signs to your gate. And KIX is so expandable and flexible, need additional rwy? Just add a new floating platform module and anchor it to the main module.

kansai_airport.jpg

I find KIX and HKG are certainly user-friendly for passengers...just get to terminal building and follow the signs to your gate. And KIX is so expandable and flexible, need additional rwy? Just add a new floating platform module and anchor it to the main module.

As far as I know, they are planning to build a mirror terminal at KIX on the new man made island. Within the Osaka and Kansai area, you get other airports such as Itami and Kobe, if I am not wrong, Itami and Kobe are serving mostly domestic traffic, while Kansai is the international gateway with limited domestic flight. If they are read from a macro view, they will are not different from the separation of T1, T2, T3 and etc. Worse in this case, is the distance between Kansai and Itami in Osaka, Narita and Haneda in Tokyo, Pudong and Hong Qiao in Shanghai.

On a side note HKG is now divided into two terminals - Emirates and Oasis departs from T2 and the rest from T1.

I haven't been to that many airports on a frequent basis so I can't make a proper analysis, but I think KLIA is pretty well planned.

I haven't been to that many airports on a frequent basis so I can't make a proper analysis, but I think KLIA is pretty well planned.

Yes, Mr Kurokawa (may he rest in peace) did a marvelous piece of work in master planning KLIA - plans are there for future expansion way, way into the future. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that the initial phase (what is available now) was probably a bit of an optimistic overbuild. Either that or MAB failed to attract/maintain sufficient airlines servicing KLIA to maintain the pax growth - it's not quite at capacity yet after all these years you see. Another possibility could be that our resident airline, namely MAS, has not grown as envisaged - that would be worthy of a new topic of discussion by itself :)

As to whether Mr Kurokawa's plans remain intact or whether KUL stay "well planned" - it remains to be seen. Already, area earmarked for 2nd MTB seem now destined for new LCC terminal. Where sattelite terminals for MTB2 were planned for, some other use appear to be planned for. All this I gather from the pics of KLIA model posted elsewhere on this forum.

Question would be how efficient (=good planning) would KUL remain after all the modifications planned to the original master plan ? I certainly hope we do not end up with another rojak complex of buildings which made up Subang airport of past

I wonder where the heck will they plan to build Terminal 4. Maybe costal road has to go more far east, build the 4th terminal over present costal road and use underground skytrain to transport pax to T2 clear immigration.

I hope they will not do that. Otherwise we will lose a spotting location in Singapore. Already double fencing is bad. Best would be to build a bridge that links 02C to the military site, which is the propsed T4. Then we get one more spotting area. Die die must maintain coastal road.

2 cents idea perhaps. :pardon:

The land that was reclaimed (presently houses a military air base) will be the site of the new T4. Various attachments to Denver (Stapleton) were carried out over the last decade to learn about dual-ops ie. military and civillain. I am excited about the plans and cannot wait to see how the new T4 will look like! As it is, T3 looks amazing and really interesting to see how these different terminals have characters of their own.

Even the Budget Terminal is getting the expansion mode going. Me thinks it will expand down south as the north will hit SATS Catering (nanti no more kitchen!).

July 25, 2008 18:43 PM

Singapore Plans To Build Fourth Terminal At Changi

SINGAPORE, July 25 (Bernama) - Singapore is planning to build a fourth terminal at the Changi Airport which currently has a capacity of about 70 million passengers per year.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore had already started to prepare the master plan for the fourth terminal which would provide capacity for future growth beyond Changis current capacity.

Speaking at the official opening of Terminal 3 at Changi Airport here, Lee said the fourth terminal would not be needed for many more years but forward planning would ensure that Changi keeps its leadership position far into the future.

Terminal 3 which now caters more than 900 weekly scheduled flights has already handled more than five million passengers since it began operation on January 9 this year.

With the addition of Terminal 3, Changi Airports passenger movements for the first six months of 2008 continued to soar registering a 5.4 per cent year-on-year growth to hit 18.7 million passengers.

A total of 943,791 tonnes of airfreight were also processed in the same period representing a year-on-year growth of 3.6 per cent.

Looking ahead, Lee said Changi Airport faced new risks and challenges such as fuel price hike which was impacting the bottom line of every airline.

The Prime Minister said the uncertain economic climate had further pushed consumers to become more careful with their spending and trim back on travel.

In addition, Lee said competition among airports was growing more intense with many other airports, aspiring to be global and regional air hubs, building up their capabilities in order to attract more airlines and travellers.

Lee also announced that Singapore planned to corporatise Changi Airport and restructure the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore.

He said the Ministry of Transport had been working intensively with various stakeholders over the past year and would announce details of the corporatisation exercise soon.

As of this month, there are 79 airlines operating over 4,400 weekly scheduled flights at Changi Airport, connecting Singapore to 189 cities in 59 countries making it the sixth busiest airport in the world for international traffic.

-- BERNAMA

The original masterplan for Changi Airport called for 3 terminals only. With the opening of terminal 3 this year, the government has decided to look into future expansion plans, hence, masterplanning/feasibility studies for terminal 4. This in no way indicates that the government is rushing to build another terminal... but just planning for one. From what I know, the existing 3 terminals will serve SIN well into the next decade.

Guest redharahmad

The original masterplan for Changi Airport called for 3 terminals only. With the opening of terminal 3 this year, the government has decided to look into future expansion plans, hence, masterplanning/feasibility studies for terminal 4. This in no way indicates that the government is rushing to build another terminal... but just planning for one. From what I know, the existing 3 terminals will serve SIN well into the next decade.

I came across a Changi Masterplan dated around the early 90s one time and the drawing actually included a plan for 6 terminals. Albeit the plan is now outdated and has to be tweaked coz the Budget Terminal now occupies the site earmarked for Terminal 4 and the SATS ICC 2 occupies the site earmarked for terminal 5. I guess any expansion(s) now will have to be seawards.

I do agree that there is no rush for building T4 yet as Changi is now only operating at about half its maximum capacity but believe that Terminal 4 will be built to be up and running way before the current max capacity of the 3 terminals are reached.

CAAS planned T2 back in the early 80s...back when T1 opened to traffic..so I'm not suprised if they have plan T4 by now..

Actually, dont talk about T4 yet. If you look at the way the gates are numbered, it is master-planning 101.

When T1 was opened in 1980, they were designated C and D gates. When T2 opened in 1990, they were given E and F gates. Now the loop is complete with T3, with the whole U-shaped complex starting with A-B (T3) C-D (T1) and E-F (T2). Amazing! If only Changi had planned a decent viewing gallery for all the terminals :angry2: ...

A possible location for T4 would be between 20C and 20R (military). This could function like a satellite concourse similar to the C-gates in KLIA.

SINGAPORE: Singapore's current Budget Terminal may be shifted to make way for a fourth terminal that analysts say is likely to take place closer to the end of the decade.

That is because once the ASEAN Open Skies agreement is in place by 2015, passenger traffic will likely grow by at least five per cent each year.

Analysts Channel NewsAsia spoke with said with the growth of passenger volume, comes the need for expansion.

Changi Airport's existing three terminals can accommodate about 70 million passengers annually, and passenger traffic this year is likely to exceed last year's 42 million.

Shukor Yusof, and aviation analyst with Standard & Poor's, said: "We still have some capacity with Terminal 3 still not being maximised yet, there's still a lot of room there.

"But beyond that, obviously there is going to be a need to expand the airport with the new terminal, given the increase in low cost travel, even in the expansion of new discount carriers in the region."

Given the economic uncertainties, the remaining capacity is likely to be taken up once the ASEAN Open Skies agreement kicks in, in 2015. The agreement will fully liberalise air travel between the grouping's 10-member states.

Mr Yusof said: "It will vary obviously because we are going into a very difficult period for the next, two, three years at least, because of the problems in Europe, in North America. But that being the case, there is still tremendous growth in this part of the world, and that's going to be increased in our opinion when 2015 Open Skies kicks into place, depending on how quickly countries in the region, in ASEAN react to that.

"The potential for that is huge, it could be anywhere between five to 10 per cent (growth) for some countries or even more than that, depending on how they exploit the possibilities of that happening.

"I think they will have to agree to whether they want to construct a new terminal when open skies kicks in in 2015, and then they will have an idea of how the traffic flow will be, and how the rest of the ASEAN developing as well, that will give them a sense of indication as well, how the market is going to be like.

"Certainly, I think there is no doubt that there will be a need for Terminal 4, beyond this decade. But if they do decide, then the construction will probably begin towards the later part of this decade, which is after 2015."

Gary Ho, senior lecturer of Aviation Management & Services at Temasek Polytechnic, said: "The philosophy at Changi is always build ahead of demand, so if you look at Terminal 3, that's how they built it. Our airport has always been sized, way before the need arises."

In March 2008, the Transport Ministry confirmed that Singapore will have a Terminal 4 at Changi Airport. This was mentioned in Parliament, just two months after the opening of Terminal 3 in January. Since then, authorities have been working on the master plan but little has been revealed about the details.

There have been talks that Terminal 4 is likely to be located on reclaimed land, along Changi Coast Road, near to runway three. But sources tell Channel NewsAsia that the area where the current Budget Terminal is located is another potential site.

Mr Yusof said: "It would be possible for them to do that, but then again, they would have to relocate the low cost terminal somewhere, so they would have to weigh that in their decision. I think anywhere within the boundaries of Changi within the proximity of the three terminals, would be an excellent choice because of the connectivity."

Mr Ho added: "If you look at the location of the current budget terminal, it is very small, you know you are constrained by the SATS Building, the Inflight Catering Centre, and you are also constrained by the golf course, and also some of the ancillary services. If you are going to build Terminal 4 there, you are actually building a terminal that is very constrained."

It is understood that if the Budget Terminal makes way for Terminal 4, all budget carriers will then operate out of Terminals 1 and 2.

Source

Terminals 1/2 for LCC and Terminals 3/4 for 'mainline'?? that's the idea @ SIN ? :huh:

Ha! How much $$$ did CAG sank to renovate T1 and 2?? for LCC??

How much money is MAHB sinking on KLIA2 for LCC?? T2 Renovation was a while back now, but T1 was definately in need of a renovation as not much had been done since the airport had originally opened.

Nice development for Changi International Airport. It is always good to plan ahead, but with staggered construction.

Terminal 1 would be good for LCC since now it has JT, 3R, AK, FD, and QZ operating from T1. The newly renovated T1 has the T3-feeling. Although it doesn't have as many shops as T2 or T3,I think its good enough for LCC as most of them has short turnaround time, meaning pax won't be shopping that much as those in T2 or T3.

What is more important, we can use aerobridges.(sorry, I need to rub it in)...:)

Nice development for Changi International Airport. It is always good to plan ahead, but with staggered construction.

Terminal 1 would be good for LCC since now it has JT, 3R, AK, FD, and QZ operating from T1. The newly renovated T1 has the T3-feeling. Although it doesn't have as many shops as T2 or T3,I think its good enough for LCC as most of them has short turnaround time, meaning pax won't be shopping that much as those in T2 or T3.

What is more important, we can use aerobridges.(sorry, I need to rub it in)...:)

I don't think QF/BA/CX/EK will be very impressed with CAG if they decided to nominate T1 as an LCC terminal, having sank so much $$$ doing up their lounges.

The Budget Terminal will be closed later this year to make way for a new and improved terminal to cater to future demand of a burgeoning budget airline industry.

Airlines operating out of the terminal will operate from the main terminals at Changi Airport.

A local news source said Tiger Airways will operate from Terminal 2, as will Berjaya Air and SEAir.

Changes have also been made at Terminal 2 to accommodate additional flights, including adjustments to aero-bridges.

Airline currently operating out of the single-storey Budget Terminal include Tiger Airways, Firefly, Berjaya Air, Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airways.

However, industry watchers told the news source that budget carriers may face higher costs if they start operating from main terminals.

Budget Terminal started operations in 2006 and was recently expanded to accommodate seven million passengers.

According to the news source, more people are using budget carriers in their travels. These flights account for

28.5 per cent of flights at Changi Airport.

It may take more than two years for the new terminal to be ready, experts told the local news source.

http://www.asiaone.c...229-330886.html

--------------------------------------------

I wonder how the passengers are going to embark from and disembark to the main terminals for the ATRs...

Edited by alberttky

They are modifying T2 and I would imagine that pax may be bussed to the terminal building from the apron.

Budget Terminal to close Sept 25, new terminal called T4

AsiaOne

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012

The Budget Terminal will be closed on Sept 25 and demolished to make way for the construction of a new Terminal 4 at Changi Airport.

Changi Airport Group (CAG) said in a media statement today that construction of Terminal 4 will begin in 2013 and is expected to be ready by 2017.

The new terminal will be a larger passenger building which can handle 16 million passengers a year.

It will be designed to enable efficient passenger processing and quick turnaround of aircraft and will not have aerobridges.

Airlines currently operating from the Budget Terminal will move their operations to Terminal 2 and will start operations there from September 25 at 6am.

These airlines include Berjaya Air, Cebu Pacific, Firefly, South East Asian Airlines and Tiger Airways.

Terminal 4 will also have a wide choice of retail and food and beverage offerings and other passenger amenities.

CAG said it will work with the respective airlines to ensure a smooth transition of their operations, and minimise inconvenience to passengers.

Changi Airport handles more than 70 million passengers a year.

CAG said the airport still has room to accommodate air traffic growth and that planning ahead will ensure there is capacity to handle further increase in traffic demand.

paullim@sph.com.sg

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Relax/Story/A1Story20120301-331060.html

Edited by xtemujin

Sign in to follow this