MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H C Chai

Europe to North Asia with Star Alliance

Hi all, just wondering does anyone know (or experienced personally) which Star Alliance airlines offer the best business class products between mainland Europe and North Asia (China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong).

-Air China

-ANA

-Asiana

-Austrian

-LOT Polish

-Lufthansa

-SAS

-Swiss

-Turkish

I am planning a trip to Japan in spring 2009 using the *A awards (plus another country - most likely South Korea or Hong Kong. I'm yet to decide the routings). So far I have heard that ANA is one of the best, while LOT, Austrian and SAS are best avoided. How about Swiss? They will be introducing new business class seats on long haul fleet from spring next year, but I bet chances of me getting the retrofitted cabin are very small.

Anyone who has flown with these airlines in J class, I would love to know your experience!

Would be most grateful if you can also let me know websites which have reviews on business class products. So far I have tried FT, flatbeds and airliners.net. FT is one big universe! :huh:

Thanks in advance ... ;)

Edited by H C Chai

Turkish Airlines is using new brand A330-200s on these routes but you have to make a connection flight to Istanbul first. Other choises are looks like more usefull than THY. Nevertheless you have to check business production presentation in THY web site (www.thy.com), also price with an travelagent.THY is not the best in business but they are working do their bests.

I would pick ANA or Asiana from your list, if flying to Japan...

Never flew either one of them in J-class, but read some pretty good TR's on A.net about them...

Keith has flown LH in business-class and Azman on LX, AFAIK; maybe you can PM them ? :pardon:

I've not flown LH JCL, only FCL. Whilst LH is fantastic in FCL - I've not heard good things about LH JCL.

I've done LX JCL but only BKK-SIN - angled lie flat seats, good service, reasonably good food, fantastic wines if you're into Swiss pinot noirs. Many of my friends comment that it's their fave European airline.

Would this be a bmi redemption? ;)

If so... F isn't that much more on Miles and Cash if flying Europe 2 to North Asia (25k one way + GBP170 + tax).

YGPM

Edited by Keith T

Sorry for promoting - but you could also try SQTalk. There's a *A sub-forum there, and a huge amount of *A experience on SQTalk.

Failing which, the *A sub-forum on FT would be a good way to start. Also do a search in Trip Reports (under 'Community').

Swiss is probably one of the best European ones. Definitely better than Lufthansa and SAS. The only thing better about SAS is the lounge in Copenhagen.

For everything else, I think Swiss is better. I think the chances of you getting new seats are quite low early next year. The new A330s will have them first, then the rest will be refurbished over time.

BUT, however nice Swiss is, it just cannot beat the asian airlines like TG and SQ. I have never tried ANA so I don't know about them. Usually, when I fly JCL on the asian airlines and follow up shortly with an LX long haul flight... I feel cheated by Swiss. Such is the difference in the service!

Turkish Airlines is using new brand A330-200s on these routes

Hi Hakan, IIRC TK uses A340-300 on their Istanbul-Japan routes. The business class cabin seem to have undergone an upgrade and now has angled lie flat seats (just like their A330-200). I flew TK few years back in Y, on STN-IST. I think their service is better than most european airlines.

I would pick ANA or Asiana from your list, if flying to Japan...

I've not flown LH JCL, only FCL. Whilst LH is fantastic in FCL - I've not heard good things about LH JCL.

BUT, however nice Swiss is, it just cannot beat the asian airlines like TG and SQ. I have never tried ANA so I don't know about them. Usually, when I fly JCL on the asian airlines and follow up shortly with an LX long haul flight... I feel cheated by Swiss. Such is the difference in the service!

Based on the feedback it sounds like a good idea to stay with asian airlines, i.e. All Nippon and Asiana. Which means my side trip will most likely be South Korea! I was thinking about giving Swiss a go, but I am not too sure now.

Would this be a bmi redemption?

Yes it is! I am planning to make the most out of my DC miles before they are converted to Miles&Less. ;)

Once again thank you all for the feedback.

Sign in to follow this