MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Kong

Singapore Plans to Build Terminal 4 at Changi

So where is T4? Old Budget terminal or east of 02C? Looking at Google Earth, both locations are busy with construction activities.

Are they already building Runway 3?

No, Terminal 5 and its surrounding development will start around 2018 at earliest, if not 2019, preparing for next decade.

Confirmed T4 users:

• AirAsia Group: AK, QZ, FD
  • Cathay Pacific CX
  • Korean Air KE
  • Vietnam Air VN

Are they already building Runway 3?

Runway 3 has been there for a few years now but is/ was a shorter, narrower version and was accessible only by the military. That was why rwy 2 is labelled 02/20 Centre.

They have already announced that runway 3 will be activated when T5 is ready - probably around 2020.

Runway 3 is currently used by the military and also during the Singapore Air Show.

So where is T4? Old Budget terminal or east of 02C? Looking at Google Earth, both locations are busy with construction activities.

its where the old budget terminal was

That's what I call long term planning!

Since the very beginning, Changi Airport's planning had been superior to many airports in the region and the rest of the world.

So what they are doing with T5 is nothing new, really - they are just doing what they have been doing all along.

Since the very beginning, Changi Airport's planning had been superior to many airports in the region and the rest of the world.

So what they are doing with T5 is nothing new, really - they are just doing what they have been doing all along.

That was what I meant exactly. Long term vision since the very onset and following through the master plan over the years, unlike a certain airport nearby...

They have already announced that runway 3 will be activated when T5 is ready - probably around 2020.

Runway 3 is currently used by the military and also during the Singapore Air Show.

The said Runway 3 (02R/20L) has been closed since March till what it looks like indefinitely.

That was what I meant exactly. Long term vision since the very onset and following through the master plan over the years, unlike a certain airport nearby...

In the kangkong land, many design decision and idea was made or expressed by the dear leader for glamorous or other objectives regardless of practicality, efficiency or productivity.

The said Runway 3 (02R/20L) has been closed since March till what it looks like indefinitely.

Not surprising, with the amount of construction going on....

I think they will need to lengthen, strengthen and widen it too.

especially when land is scarce, proper planning is crucial to maximize land use regardless they do have better foresight than us here

especially when land is scarce, proper planning is crucial to maximize land use regardless they do have better foresight than us here

Yes, T5 was not something that was thought up at the whim and fancy of some big shot politician.

The preparation for this was done long ago with the land reclamation. That land was left to settle over the years. Runway 3 was probably built to assess the rate of settlement so that the engineers can have a better idea with regards to the soil conditions that will prevail for the new terminal.

Runway 3 expansion and associated taxiway system including two End-Around Taxiways (EAT) wrapping around 02C/20C at both north and south ends are the major works underway now, in addition to soil works for the future terminal 5.

Expect the new 02R/20L to be operational 2018.. once so,02C/20C will close whilst major tunnelling works are made to integrate present airport precinct with future T5 precinct (likely to be rail/skytrain + airport service vehicle tunnels and not civilian traffic tunnels). 02C/20C will open once these works are complete and in time for t5 phase 1 eta by 2023 iirc.

Edited by Sandeep G

Why cant we have something classy like this?

Should forward that question to MAHB.

This is a smart airport, technology wise. With the aim of passenger DIYs and reduced workers (I like the robot cleaners).

Even AirAsia Group big boss is impressed by the features of this terminal.

Changi airport management says T4 will be an ultimate test bed for new technologies of how future airport can be run more efficiently.

Let them try the technologies (which I assume not 100% proven yet since they label it "test bed"). We just want shopping malls.

Sign in to follow this