MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Rodgers

Viewing at Kuatan AB

Hi Guys,

:help:

I'd welcome some advice please.

I'll be flying from Kuatan AB back to KLIA shortly and I'd like to know what the attitude locally is to viewing: can I use binoculars; is it wise or even legal to use a camera?

I understand that there are one or two preserved aircraft as gate guards and a few years back there were a numbers of stored scooters. Is that still the case and, if so, where might I see them from?

Any comments or information gratefully received by a return visitor to your wonderful country.

Regards,

Brian

I've taken pictures from the departure lounge with no problems. However the view is quite restricted because the apron is a distance away from the runway, and there's foliage to the right and left. I believe the preserved aircraft at the gate is still there.

Taking pictures from Jalan Gambang, the road towards Kuantan / KL is a bit difficult because the airfield is on raised ground. Or you could be lucky to spot RMAF planes or other aircraft landing or taking off.

I think here are pictures of those stored scooters somewhere in this forum, posted by a member a long time ago. Sorry can't think of a link to it now. Anyway the location is not accessible to general public.

I think here are pictures of those stored scooters somewhere in this forum, posted by a member a long time ago. Sorry can't think of a link to it now. Anyway the location is not accessible to general public.

When I was based at Kuantan AFB between 1997-2000,I used to visit and check out the old A4PTMs at the isolated dispersals just north of No.17/19 Sqn complex,later the C.O of Kuantan AFB ordered the scooters to be placed into the bush behind the dispersal so as not to be an eyesore to the public,its now located near the artificial lake which we called it the "Falkland islands lake",near to the bomb dump "BAT-Base Ammo Terminal".

Exercise Keris Strike 2010 (United States & Malaysia) was launched three days ago and is scheduled to conclude on 23 July 2010. MW members near Kuantan, look out for US C-130s or C-17s B)

Edited by MIR

Two FRADU Falcon 20 Mystere due into Kuantan from Chiang Mai today.:

Registration - Callsign - ETA

G-FRAF FRA 70 1313

G-FRAW FRA 92 1323

Edited by MIR

Went to Kuatan Airport on 30/5/2012 stop by to spot some planes but the airport is empty.... dint spot any planes except for this TUDM Helicopter

007-2.jpg

006.jpg

RMAF celebrates 55th anniversary this month. The anniversary parade is planned next week, June 7th.

A) WMKD B ) 1306020001 C) 1306070230 D) DLY BTN 0001-0230 (0801-1030L)E) AIRFIELD CLSD DUE TO FLYPASS WI 20NM RADIUS FM ARP(034611N1031234E)F) GND                             G) 20000 FT

Thanks MIR...

No wonder between 07:30-07:45 ...

1 Beech200T

2 CN-235

3 C-130

departed subang....formation towards EAST

Some foreign aircraft are currently stationed in Kuantan for Bersama Lima 13, while RMAF deployed five BAe 208 Hawks to Changi Air Base (East)
7 Nov Arrivals:

627 F-16CJ RSAF
639 F-16CJ RSAF
640 F-16CJ RSAF
636 F-16CJ RSAF
6?? F-16CJ RSAF

730 C-130H Hercules RSAF

G-FRAI Mystere 20E FR Aviation
G-FRAR Mystere 20D FR Aviation

Thanks for the info MIR. Any news on where the RAAF will deploy its aircraft from, Butterworth? And where are the tankers based this time?

Some pix from RMAF Kuantan: http://www.airforce.gov.my/my-berita-induk/my-pangkalan/7-nov-13-eksesais-bersama-lima-13/

Most of the RAAF aircraft are deployed to BWH but i'm not sure where is the KC-30 stationed this time...rumoured either Paya Lebar, Changi East or Butterworth.

Edited by MIR

Some corrections to the RSAF regos which i've posted earlier..

627 F-16CJ RSiAF

613 F-16CJ RSiAF

640 F-16CJ RSiAF

639 F-16CJ RSiAF

63? F-16CJ RSiAF

Thanks for the info MIR. Any news on where the RAAF will deploy its aircraft from, Butterworth? And where are the tankers based this time?

A39-002 KC-30A is stationed in Paya Lebar. It visited Butterworth on 8Nov, rumoured it was also sighted flying low over Kuala Terengganu on the same day.

A) WMKD B )1405040001 C) 1405090230

D) DLY BTN 0001-0230 FM 04-09 MAY 2014

E) FLYPASS WILL TAKE PLACE WI 20NM RADIUS OF 034611N 1031234E FM ARP.

ALL ARR/DEP SUBJ TO DLA.

F) SFC G) 10,000FT

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/notamRetrievalByICAOAction.do?method=displayByICAOs&reportType=RAW&formatType=DOMESTIC&retrieveLocId=WMKD&actionType=notamRetrievalByICAOs

Edited by MIR

A) WMKD B )1405040001 C) 1405090230

D) DLY BTN 0001-0230 FM 04-09 MAY 2014

E) FLYPASS WILL TAKE PLACE WI 20NM RADIUS OF 034611N 1031234E FM ARP.

ALL ARR/DEP SUBJ TO DLA.

F) SFC G) 10,000FT

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/notamRetrievalByICAOAction.do?method=displayByICAOs&reportType=RAW&formatType=DOMESTIC&retrieveLocId=WMKD&actionType=notamRetrievalByICAOs

Aircraft involved:

3 x EC725

1 x C-130

2x CN-235

3 x MB339CM

3 X Su-30MKM

Cobham Falcon 20DC Mystere (G-FRAU) arrived Kuantan frm Chiang Mai on 26th May 2014 as FRA97.

I guess it is involved in Exercise Bersama Shield 2014

TNI-AU jets are expected to arrive Kuantan in the next several days for Ex Elang Malindo.

7th May visitors,

G-FRAI Falcon 20E FR Aviation FRA71

G-FRAS Falcon 20C FR Aviation FRA89

Sign in to follow this