MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

KAL 747 makes emergency landing at Sapporo

I've seen this news yesterday,any of you guys know about it too?

S.Korean airplane diverts to Japan on fire fears

TOKYO: A South Korean airliner headed to New York made an emergency landing in northern Japan yesterday after fears of a fire onboard,officials said.

The Korean Air jet,which has carrying 322 people,landed safely at New Chitose Airport near the city of Sapporo and was due to set off again to New York after a five-hour delay,an airline spokeswoman said.

The Boeing 747-400 aircraft,which had taken off from Incheon airport near Seoul,was three hours into its flight before it landed on the rainy runway in northern Japan.

A lamp had come on during the flight that indicated a fire could break out around the auxiliary power unit,officials said.

"The plane made an emergency landing after detecting an electronic error signal in the tail section",said Kwak Yong -Pil,an air safety official at South Korea's transport ministry.

"After emergency,checks on the ground,the pilot did not detect a fire and found out it was a mechanical problem",Kwak told AFP.

At Chitose airport,official Hiromichi Ogasawara said that they were told that the plane needed emergency checks before it could head to New York.

"It landed safely",Ogasawara said.

Airport officials said that the plane dropped some of its fuel into the sea before landing.-AFP

I've seen this news yesterday,any of you guys know about it too?

Oh yeah, was in the AVHerald but just a false alarm:

Korean Air B744 near Hokkaido on Jul 17th 2008, false APU fire alert

By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Jul 17th 2008 09:36Z, last updated Thursday, Jul 17th 2008 21:48Z

A Korean Air Boeing 747-400, registration HL7498 performing flight KE81 from Seoul (South Korea) to New York JFK,NY (USA) with 322 people on board, declared emergency, dumped fuel over the Pacific Ocean and diverted to Hokkaido's (Japan) New Chitose Airport due to a fire indication for the APU. The airplane landed safely about one hour after declaring emergency.

The indication was false, the problem was fixed and the airplane resumed the flight arriving in New York with a delay of 5.5 hours.

Fuel was dumped... waste, waste... :pardon: what to do. have to maa...

Fuel was dumped... waste, waste...

Would you have preferred an overweight-landing, with all it's consequences ? :huh:

Definitely more damage and/or delay to plane and passengers in that case :pardon:

Would you have preferred an overweight-landing, with all it's consequences ? :huh:

Definitely more damage and/or delay to plane and passengers in that case :pardon:

I agree with you,Uncle Pieter.Overweight-landing is definately more riskier,and if the aircraft crashed during landing,casualties will be high!

Anyhow,kudos to the KAL crews for their quick actions.

heh heh... of course i know it's a procedure to dump the fuel out up to max-landing weight but still, waste.... to transfer to another aircraft, say a jet fighter, still be a waste in term of burning the jet-figher fuel to get the the 747, and the necessary equipment needed to be to installed onboard the 747... then, the best thing is just dump the fuel over the ocean... but then again, i dont know why i raised this waste-thing up in the first place... :unknw: probably just a direct thought of a silly mind of mine... :p

Snippet from 'Delta Airlines B763 near Gander on Jul 20th 2008, bomb hoax':

A Delta Airlines Boeing 767-300, flight DL22 from Atlanta,GA (USA) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (France) with 208 passengers and 11 crew, diverted to Gander,NL (Canada) after police received a bomb threat. The crew needed to declare emergency as an overweight landing had to be performed. The landing was safe.

How come? :huh:

When it is a bomb threat I dont think they're gonna bother fuel jettisoning procedures. As a pilot the consequences of your decision has to be weighed, and you've got to make the best choice between the available options.