MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M. Sofian H.

World's Best Airport 2008

LONDON - 14th July 2008 : Hong Kong International Airport has been named the World's Best Airport for 2008, in the worldwide passenger survey results released today by Skytrax. Representing a notable achievement, this is the 7th time in ten years that the accolade has been won by Hong Kong International Airport.

Singapore Changi Airport remains firmly positioned itself at the top end of the rankings, in 2nd position worldwide, ahead of Seoul Incheon International Airport in 3rd place. Asian airport dominance of the high survey rankings is topped off by Kuala Lumpur International Airport, which moves up into 4th place in the 2008 results.

top.PNG

for Hong Kong to be named winner of World's Best Airport title for the 7th time in ten years is a truly notable achievement. To retain this title amidst such strong competition is testament to an airport that is clearly serving it's customers well.

Edward Plaisted (CEO), SKYTRAX

"We congratulate Hong Kong for their repeated success in winning the World's best Airport title" said Skytrax CEO, Mr Edward Plaisted. "In recent years, the whole air travel experience has become much more focussed on the time customers spend in the airport environment, and Hong Kong has established itself as a clear passenger favourite in this respect."

"The World Airport Survey evaluates a broad spectrum of product and service touchpoints across the airport experience, covering a wide spectrum of passenger types. Hong Kong was particularly notable for gaining highest satisfaction ratings in such a diverse market. Like any other business, an airport is striving to deliver world-class standards that will make a customer want to use it again, and achieving this level of loyalty requires the highest levels of quality consistency - something where Hong Kong was singled out again and again during the survey."

"Over the last 10 years, the Skytrax World Airport Awards have become recognised as the trusted, global symbol of quality for airports," said Edward Plaisted. "Our survey participants represent the most experienced, diverse and discerning travellers in the marketplace, and airports throughout the world recognize the inherent value that comes with their endorsement."

The 2006 title winner, Singapore Changi Airport, is ranked 2nd in the 2008 World Airport Awards, with Seoul Incheon Airport in 3rd, and KLIA Kuala Lumpur moving into 4th place.

"We again saw a very tight finish to this 2007/8 passenger survey, with very close margins seen between the World's Top 3 airports. The opening of the new Terminal 3 at Singapore Changi was clearly visible from results during the survey, with customer satisfaction levels showing marked increases for this airport over the period it was included. We have yet to see what impact the new Concourse Terminal will have upon passenger ratings for Seoul Incheon Airport, with this being too late to have any impact on these 2008 results" said Plaisted.

Munich Airport is again the winner of Best Airport in Europe title, and also ranked 5th in the world - out of more than 190 airports. San Francisco was named Best Airport North America, ahead of Vancouver (2nd) and Dallas/Fort Worth in 3rd position for the region.

In the Middle East passengers have to wait awhile for airport improvements, with the new airports yet to open in Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi. In the meantime, Best Airport for the region is Tel Aviv (1st), Bahrain (2nd) and Muscat (3rd).

Best Airport in Africa is Cape Town, which for the first time has entered the World's Top 10 Airports in 10th position, with Johannesburg ranked 2nd in Africa, ahead of Addis Ababa in 3rd place.

Congrads to KUL! Given the tight competition around the region and smallish signages I am very much surprised by KUL in 4th.

Very happy for KUL though.

congratulations KLIA....hope next year going to be 1st place :D

It is already in 1st place* ! Just wait & see the banners that will be put up by MAHB all around KLIA.

* In its annual-pax-capacity category...

KUL better its position in the annual Skytrax's World Airport Awards 2008 by clinching the 4th place for best overall/worldwide airport, behind heavyweights HKG, SIN and ICN. In 2007, KUL was ranked 5th while in 2006 KUL was 6th.

KUL also become the best airport in the world for 'Immigration Service', up from 2nd place in 2007 and also clinched the 3rd best airport in the world for 'Friendliness of Staff'.

Congratulation to KUL and best of luck for the organisation of Routes (Worldwide) 2008 in October.

Full result - http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2...Airport2008.htm

Although SkyTrax is not an Academy Awards in aviation (it is more of a People's Choice Awards), I think we can be proud of this award nonetheless. KUL is now preparing to become the best host for Routes (Worldwide) 2008. There is quite a massive renovation inside the Satellite Terminal to wow the delegates during Routes (Worldwide), auguably the largest airport/airline gathering in the world.

It is already in 1st place* ! Just wait & see the banners that will be put up by MAHB all around KLIA.

* In its annual-pax-capacity category...

this hardly noticeable asterisk sign above the number 8 on the keyboard has been very tactfully used these days.

it may appear in a local fish market soon, .... "ikan bawal rm1/kg *".. then, put the rest of the price in * and all the terms and conditions along with it (like... price is for one-side of the fish only, some part of the fish is not included, or fish not exchangable or refundable)... etc...

KUL also become the best airport in the world for 'Immigration Service', up from 2nd place in 2007 and also clinched the 3rd best airport in the world for 'Friendliness of Staff'.

What a joke! We all know how friendly is the airport staff is and how relaxed is the immigration in KLIA

Edited by Azri M.

For Pete's sake: where is Amsterdam-Schiphol ??? :o

BKK ???? .New airport Suvarnabhumi.. not on the list all at... <_>

Based on what I've read on most trip reports, people don't really like the airport. Even if it looks great.

Emm first of all..Congratulation to KLIA/KUL/WMKK at fourth place in overall best airport by passengers survey..

My only wish also hope to KLIA (MAB mainly) to attract more foreign airline to operate here..it meaningless for KLIA to win even second position if they fail to bring major airlines operate here compare with SIN and BKK..so lets hope this coming October, i really happy to hear 2 or 3 BIG NAME airlines to operate here with CONFIRM status,not like Finnair case..I wish all the best to MAB team..Lets pray for good news soon..

I think KUL shud be up there for world class boring airport ranking. But nevertheless, congratulation :drinks:

Edited by Seth K

Emm first of all..Congratulation to KLIA/KUL/WMKK at fourth place in overall best airport by passengers survey..

My only wish also hope to KLIA (MAB mainly) to attract more foreign airline to operate here..it meaningless for KLIA to win even second position if they fail to bring major airlines operate here compare with SIN and BKK..so lets hope this coming October, i really happy to hear 2 or 3 BIG NAME airlines to operate here with CONFIRM status,not like Finnair case..I wish all the best to MAB team..Lets pray for good news soon..

Yes you are right Ashmil. 4th place is no big deal. Most important is more FOREIGN airlines land at KLIA is what we want. I remember when I was appointed to made the airport model in 1994 the target was to have more passengers and traffic.

Anyway congratulation to KLIA. Let's hope for more traffic, keep it up MAB.

I never been to Changi before, but what's so special about it? please describe.

here's my description: if I get to choose one airport in the world where I get stranded for more than 24hours, I would choose Changi. Hands down, no competition.

OT:

Changi to my definition:

Free Cinema, Great choice of food (including Halal staff), Hard Rock cAfe, Great spotting opportunity, KEbaya girls, FREE wi-fi (fast too), Lots and lots of internet kiosk, Great chairs, Terminal 3, Freedom of space and privacy.

Read part of my changi review here

OT:

Changi to my definition:

Free Cinema, Great choice of food (including Halal staff), Hard Rock cAfe, Great spotting opportunity, KEbaya girls, FREE wi-fi (fast too), Lots and lots of internet kiosk, Great chairs, Terminal 3, Freedom of space and privacy.

Read part of my changi review here

and lots of shops.... lots of "real" shops...

I think, you should just do a daytrip to SIN to check out the airport coz it is a destination in itself. For me, it's a tourist attractions just like Sentosa or Jurong bird park :p. Singaporeans go to Changi like they go to their local shopping malls, the shops are very attractive and there are a lot of food choices and restaurants.

Anyway, at least the airports in the list deserve the awards. They are simply excellent.

I think, you should just do a daytrip to SIN to check out the airport coz it is a destination in itself. For me, it's a tourist attractions just like Sentosa or Jurong bird park :p. Singaporeans go to Changi like they go to their local shopping malls, the shops are very attractive and there are a lot of food choices and restaurants.

Anyway, at least the airports in the list deserve the awards. They are simply excellent.

yea.. make a day trip there and see look... here's a photo during december last year at T2 :drinks:

2468034140014013228S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Dennis S.

Not too long ago, MAHB was promoting KLIA is a shopping destination. What is there at KUL worth all the trouble for folks in the Klang Valley to go to? Harrod's? Might as well go to London.....