MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ashmil Abd Ghani

Bangunan MAS to become hotel, apartment complex

Qoute from New Straits Times, Biz News on June 27,2008

By Hamisah Hamid

Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB) plans to redevelop the Bunganan MAS which it bought from Malaysia Airlines (MAS) two years ago, into a hotel and apartments.

President and group cheif executive Tan Sri Hamad Kama Piah Che Othman said work is expected to start soon.

"we hope to do it as soon as possible, once we go throuhg all process and obtain the necessary approvals," he told reporters after a news conferens to announce Amanah Saham Nasional 2 income distribution in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

PNB had bought the 35-storey building located at Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, for RM130 million.

The 21-year old building was the former headquarters for the airline.

Hamad Kama Piah said the development cost for the project has yet to be finalised. He also did not say if the new properties would be in the high-end segment.

------------------------

Emm I have several questions....

1.since MAS workers move out from the building, what happen to the building??did others company rent the office or just let it empty??

2.we soon may no longer see MAS wau logo at the top of buildings and may be no longer "Bungunan MAS" name..

3.Even MAS face critical cash flow 2 years ago and they want to sell this building to generate some money/cash flow but i read from newspaper that senior(sudah retire) not agree at all Datuk IJ sell this building because it show MAS identity and proudly stand at KL golden triangle..Now all become memory...sad :( :( :(

Sometimes I kind of parallel MH to PA in this aspect - PA once was the proud owner of Pan Am Building in NYC, then they had to sell the building to MetLife in 1980s due to financial woes, which, as you all know now as MetLife Building after Pan Am's collapse in 1991.

Though I hope MAS building's selloff is helping MAS to better their financial situation...

There are some tenants last I went there several months ago, apart from MAS ticket office. Among them are Syarikat Perumahan Negara, United Airlines, Club Med and a few more. Looking at the building directory, most of the floors are empty. Even the foyer is dark and gloomy!

There are some tenants last I went there several months ago, apart from MAS ticket office. Among them are Syarikat Perumahan Negara, United Airlines, Club Med and a few more. Looking at the building directory, most of the floors are empty. Even the foyer is dark and gloomy!

Agreed. My KL HQ office was in MAS building back in 2005 before it moved out. Have you checked the toilets? Very old style and stale looking....

Not the (formerly) main HQ building, but at MBPJ's imposing building in Petaling Jaya... typical of the fate of MAS' ticket offices / properties since BTP. Nak tutup selama-lamanya, tutuplah....... :)

Lingkup1.jpg

Lingkup2.jpg

Edited by Rozhan

"MAS TUTUP SELAMA-LAMANYA" is vastly different from "OFFICE PERMANENT CLOSE" (sic)...premonition? :pardon:

Edited by H Azmal

hrmm..there are already a lot of hotels over there..mutiara, equatorial, istana...etc.

The ex-MAS building which will be converted to a hotel need to come out with something different in order to win the competition with the other hotels surrounding....

lets say... "Five-Star Hotel @ budget hotel cost" (derived frm Five-Star Airline @ LCC cost) hohoho... :p

Someone suggested in another forum that Dato TF takes up challenge and set up Tune Hotel in the ex-MAS building; imagine having the Air Asia logo instead of MAS, that would be some scalp eh ! :D

Sign in to follow this