MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M. Sofian H.

FireFly expands more route by the end of year

I read the FY advertisement yesterday on The Star Newpaper (see pic below).

After that I asked the FY staff at PEN. They said this new route will start by the end of

this year or early next year. I think, maybe FY will use new ATR for long haul destination???

new_fy.jpg

I read the FY advertisement yesterday on The Star Newpaper (see pic below).

After that I asked the FY staff at PEN. They said this new route will start by the end of

this year or early next year. I think, maybe FY will use new ATR for long haul destination???

http://www.sofianhilmi.net/fy/new_fy.jpg

Those routes and destinations hardly can be called long haul routes,even by turboprop standards.Ive flown on a turboprop aircraft across the CONUS from ATL to SFO,then SFO to HNL,HNL to KJL,KJL to Guam to KUL,on delivery flight from Lockheed Martin.

Long haul should be flights above a certain number of distance and duration.For turboprop aircraft,thats not much difference with a jet aircraft if flight times are 1 hour or less.

But its good that "fireflyz is flying to more destinations,good for us consumers.

Interesting that it's PEN-JHB vv not KUL-JHB...

Looks like I'm gonna change flights at PEN...

what do u mean? It's not PEN-JHB that is shown on the ads above, its SZB-JHB.

I welcome the SZB-JHB flights. That would make life easier for me to commute to my 2nd office. And cheaper as well. Let's hope its there to stay not like when they first introduced it last year.

I am dissapointed that SZB-LGK is now only operating during school holidays.

I am dissapointed that SZB-LGK is now only operating during school holidays.

No wonder it was not there when I tried to book it.

Last sunday was a bumpy ride with FY. PEN-SZB, turbulence all the way from take-off till landing.

When will the 1st ATR arrive?

1st delivery of ATR72-500 to FlyFlyz will be somewhere end of August..but not sure when will be first officially revenue flight..normally an airline will take one or two months crews familiarization for new aircraft,but i no idea for small plane such turboprop..correct me if i wrong.. :)

Just in case for those never see new FZ ATR72 at Toulouse..

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

Have nice day to all MW members.. B) B) B)

ad-new-destinations.jpg

they already sell the ticket

fy_sale.PNG

Hurry! grab the best price now

Loh Wilson, get ready, 1st ATR will landing at PEN for training 18 August (TBC).

July 02, 2008 19:30 PM

Firefly Expects To Double Ticket Sales With New Aircraft

PETALING JAYA, July 2 (Bernama) -- Firefly, the budget airline operated by FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd, expects to increase routes and double ticket sales upon receiving its first batch of five ATR 72-500 aircraft by year-end.

Firefly managing director Eddy Leong said Wednesday that the company had ordered 10 new aircraft in total.

"The aircraft will enhance the company's mission to financially break even by this year. We see sales almost doubling with the new aircraft offering 50 percent more seats compared to the Fokker 50 in use at present," he told reporters at a briefing on the company's new routes for 2008.

The company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airline System Bhd (MAS).

Firefly's three Fokker 50 aircraft are 50 seaters and considered relatively less efficient in terms of fuel consumption with high maintenance costs.

Leong said two ATR 72-500 aircraft will be delivered in September this year, followed by another in November.

The remaining two will arrive in December while the rest on order will join service between April and August next year, he said.

The planes were ordered from ATR, an Italian-French manufacturer. MAS signed the US$360 million deal for the purchase last year with an option to acquire six more aircraft in 2010 and four in 2011.

Firefly currently flies from its main hub in Penang to Subang, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Baharu and Langkawi as well as Koh Samui in Thailand.

From its base in Subang, the company flies to Penang, Langkawi, Kota Baharu and Kuala Terengganu.

Since it began operations in April last year, the budget carrier has flown more than 350,000 passengers.

On the company's new routes this year, Leong said Firefly's passengers could look forward to flying from Subang to new destinations like Pekanbaru in Indonesia and Johor Baharu.

"We are also adding new routes from Penang to Medan and Banda Aceh in Indonesia," he said.

The new routes, he added, were in line with the airline's expansion plans and in support of the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=343448

I was informed that FY will introduce new route before Jan 2008.

Then I try check with wikipedia. Here

According to Wikipedia, there are new route will be serve next year?

* Indonesia

o Batam (Hang Nadim Airport) [starts Summer 2009]

o Padang (Minangkabau International Airport) [starts Summer 2009]

o Palembang (Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II Airport) [starts Summer 2009]

* Thailand

o Hua Hin (Hua Hin Airport) [starts Summer 2009]

o Trang (Trang Airport) [starts Summer 2009]

anybody can confirm it? for me FY better introduce new domestic route e.g PEN-JHB, PEN-KCH or etc..

Sign in to follow this