MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

Korean Air launches flight to Sao Paulo

I believe third Asia's airline operate to South America after MAS (Buenos Aires) and Japan Airline (Sau Paulo)..its correct??

MH did serve to South America (KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE),and yes,JAL did fly to Sao Paulo.

Here's some info from Wikipedia:

"In 1978, JAL started flights in Latin America to São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil via Anchorage and San Juan. By the 1980s until 2000, the flights would be flown via Los Angeles, which later be flown from New York to Tokyo."

Thx mr. for the info..but i believe (i can't recall any statement to prove) that MH is the only carrier fly from South Africa to Buenos Aires..its correct??i'll proud as Malaysian if it correct..hehehehe.. :rolleyes:

Oh really..First time i hear MAS fly to Mexico..emm may be MAS us DC-10 or MD11 during that time..can somebody share with me why this destination terminate bt the Mexico Government??

Oh really..First time i hear MAS fly to Mexico..emm may be MAS us DC-10 or MD11 during that time..can somebody share with me why this destination terminate bt the Mexico Government??

MH flew to MEX for ‘South South Solidarity’ and was discontinued for very poor yield.

:drinks:

I befriended with XA744 of A.Net. He was a former MH employee in MEX and was there during the time MEX was axed from MH's network. I still remember MH's MEX and MAD advertising campaigns during the time the Barcelona 1992 Olympic Games took place.

If I could recall, he told me the reason behind the axing was because the Mexican government wasn't allowing any US-Mexico flights operated by a foreign (non US or Mexican) carriers. Basically, it was a change of a government's policy. According to him, MH's leg from LAX to MEX was always experienced a good load (not sure about the yield and cargo) and we were the only airline that operated a giant B744 on that busy route. Some passengers choose MH just to be on MH's B744s because the route was monopolied by narrowbody aircrafts.

But the reason behind the existence of the route is because of Malaysia's dominance in the G15 group (South-South), as mentioned by KK Lee. Under Tun Dr. Mahathir's premiership, Malaysia was fierce in promoting economic ties between developing economies of the Southern Hemisphere countries.

If I am not mistaken too, there was a plan to extend the leg from MEX to Lima in Peru, making it KUL-TPE-LAX-MEX-LIM-MEX-LAX-TPE-KUL, covering a distance of 26,000 miles for a single return journey. The leg to EZE (Buenos Aires) was also planned to be extended to Santiago in Chile, making it KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE-SCL-EZE-CPT-JNB-KUL, covering a distance of 22,000 miles for a single return journey. Both routes, if proceeded, should be the longest in the world being operated by an aircraft.

Waa..thanks again Mr Azizul for long story..good to know what happen in past.. :D :rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken too, there was a plan to extend the leg from MEX to Lima in Peru, making it KUL-TPE-LAX-MEX-LIM-MEX-LAX-TPE-KUL, covering a distance of 26,000 miles for a single return journey. The leg to EZE (Buenos Aires) was also planned to be extended to Santiago in Chile, making it KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE-SCL-EZE-CPT-JNB-KUL, covering a distance of 22,000 miles for a single return journey. Both routes, if proceeded, should be the longest in the world being operated by an aircraft.

can i ask a question..did any airline operator today make an ultra long journey with single a/c,i mean make up to 6 stops before return to home base again as u mention above..cargo flight make up to 4 stop..

Based on MH's current network, yes, I think the aircraft that is being used to serve EZE (Buenos Aires - MH farthest route) will be flown to JNB (Johannesburg), CPT (Cape Town) then EZE before continuing on with her journey back home. I don't think MH practises an aircraft that does KUL-JNB-CPT-JNB-KUL only then another aircraft is doing the CPT-EZE-CPT part. By having this, passengers have to change aircrafts in CPT if they are continuing on to EZE.

If I am not mistaken too, when a crew is sent to serve EZE, he/she will be away for almost 2 weeks. But MH had (?) a South African (based) cabin crews too, aren't they? Maybe Nicholas Wan, Adrian M, Alan B, MH pilots or MH's Head of Charter Department can confirm on this.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Emm good question also..but i think we need to crate new topic title to get some people attention and give some respone..thx again.. :clapping: :drinks: :rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken too, when a crew is sent to serve EZE, he/she will be away for almost 2 weeks. But MH had (?) a South African (based) cabin crews too, aren't they?

They are. Here's a fragment of my aunt's KUL-EZE roster.

THU 20APR REPORTING AT 2335HR FOR MH0203 ON 21APR

FRI 21APR 0203 KUL/JNB 74A PS -2335(THU) 0105 0540 1035

0203 JNB/CPT 74A PS 0700 0915 0215

SAT 22APR N/STOP

SUN 23APR 0201 CPT/EZE 74A 0915 1045 1535 0950

MON 24APR N/STOP

TUE 25APR N/STOP

WED 26APR 0202 EZE/CPT 74A 1850 2020 +0900 0740

THU 27APR N/STOP

FRI 28APR 0204 CPT/JNB 74A 0945 1115 1315 0200

SAT 29APR N/STOP

SUN 30APR N/STOP

MON 01MAY 0202 JNB/KUL 74A 1210 1340 +0540 1000

Note PS, which means "CLCT TKT/OPT IF REQ" on roster. Basically IIRC they don their full uniform, but will occupy passenger seats to work on other legs. And yes, they have Spanish-speaking crew, but they are Mexican according to my aunt. As such they probably now do only about a week and a couple days.

Further clarifications/corrections may be needed :pardon: :pardon: :pardon:

p/s pardon for multiple edits. Accidentally posted a roster to CPT...

Edited by Y. J. Foo

0203 JNB/CPT 74A PS 0700 0915 0215

SAT 22APR N/STOP

SUN 23APR 0201 CPT/EZE 74A 0915 1045 1535 0950

MON 24APR N/STOP

TUE 25APR N/STOP

WED 26APR 0202 EZE/CPT 74A 1850 2020 +0900 0740

THU 27APR N/STOP

FRI 28APR 0204 CPT/JNB 74A 0945 1115 1315 0200

SAT 29APR N/STOP

SUN 30APR N/STOP

MON 01MAY 0202 JNB/KUL 74A 1210 1340 +0540 1000

Cape Town is a wonderful city for food and sightseeing :good: But for Joberg, guess crews will hole up in hotel room especially at night :(

:drinks: