MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M. Sofian H.

Need some advice to traveling to Melbourne

Hi everyone!

I plan to visit my friend in Melbourne next year.

Now i need your advice and opinion to help me to schedule my trip and budget

Firstly, when suitable month to visit there?

Secondly, about the airlines. Which airlines should i choose?

i had check the ticket price randomly,

MH (PEN/KUL/MEL/KUL/PEN) = RM3560

SQ (PEN/SIN/MEL/SIN/PEN) = RM3289

TG (PEN/BKK/MEL/BKK/PEN) = RM3900

JetSTAR (SIN/DARWIN/MEL/DARWIN/SIN) = RM1900

Anybody have experience fly with JetStar?

i'm very concerned about connecting/transit flight in Darwin.

what will happen if the flight from changi delay?

or it just transit to fill up fuel?

3rd, to find the cheapest hotel in Mel is so hard!

anybody have suggestion? where to get the cheap hotel in town?

thanks every body, hope you all can understand my english!!

Hi Sofian,

If I were you, simply MH - easier, Malaysian, Enrich miles, halal food, best cabin crews in the entire universe, 5 star! But then again, like what I advised to Jani, it all depends on your FFP tie up, if any or your budget. Maybe you can include SIN-MEL-SIN too with Emirates into consideration? What about PEN-KUL with AK, then KUL-OOL with D7 (AirAsia X) followed by OOL-MEL with Tiger Airways Australia, Virgin Blue or Jetstar Australia and vice versa? D7 had a 0 fare to OOL recently during the 0 fare war with MH, only MYR 707 for a return ticket KUL-OOL-KUL inclusive of tax, too bad you missed out on that one (I got mine!)

In my opinion, the best fare may come, if AirAsia X (D7) launches MEL/AVV during that time. I am sure a MYR 0 or MYR 50 fares will be offered. So, I think perhaps you can use your uncle's resources as a travel agent to dig more on this matter.

As for cheap accommodation, the best that I can suggest is the Malaysia Hall in Melbourne. The charges is AUD 12 per night and as a non student guest, you can stay there for a maximum of 3 nights. AUD 36 (MYR 108) for a 3 nights accommodation in Melbourne is possibly the best that you can get. If you would like to stay longer, maybe you can appeal to the department in charge, the Malaysian Student Department in Melbourne. More info, please visit http://www.ppmq.org/dewan.htm

Another option is to stay at our MW members' place. Hey, there are 157 MalaysianWings members (I am kidding, but there are almost 10 of them perhaps?) living, studying, working in Mebourne. I am sure you have befriended with some. That's one of the point of joining a forum, right? For this option, budget for accommodation would be MYR 0! (if succeed).

Anyway, for hotel reservation in Australia, I would recommend www.wotif.com

Good luck :)

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

If you'd supply more info like your budget and/or dates, I'd be more than happy to suggest some hotels.

Spring would be the optimum time to visit Melbourne, around October or so. Melbourne is beautiful in spring, and the warmer weather will allow you to enjoy our vibrant cafe and restaurant scene to the fullest as it won't be too cold dining alfresco. September is also nice but tends to be a little rainy.

As for connecting flights, the airline must protect you in the event of a missed connection if you're booked on a single ticket, even onestar unless it is explicitly stated anywhere during the ticketing process that you're actually purchasing 2 separate tickets. I'm guessing your PEN-SIN will be on a separate tkt if with the JQ option? If so allow a generous connecting time in SIN or even overnight in SIN as the airline has no obligation to protect you on separately ticketed connections, and you might lose your entire fare on JQ.

I'd go with MH or SQ for the peace of mind, and SQ would be better FFP-wise due to links with Star Alliance (meaning you can avoid Krisflyer and choose the best scheme out of the entire alliance).

Edited by Keith T

Three more suggestions for you:

1. PEN-(MH/SQ)-SIN-(QF/BA)-MEL (On QF/BA document)

2. PEN-(MH)-SIN-(EK)-MEL (On EK document)

3. PEN-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-MEL

1. PEN-(MH/SQ)-SIN-(QF/BA)-MEL (On QF/BA document)

That'd require an overnight in SIN on the way back as neither the MEL/SYD flights arrive in SIN in time for the last PEN departure. A different route map might be doable (via ADL or PER) but will also most certainly force the fare up a bucket or two.

Hi there,

don't think transiting in HKG would be feasible as the trip up north from KUL or PEN would already take up 4hrs or so.

i personally don't think making connections with LCCs is a good option as well...too unpredictable, heh.

(bashing self) so sorry, i am not making any suggestions but keep on discouraging possible options.

The jetstar one SIN-DWN-MEL is done by the SAME aircraft. Its Australian crew that do the entire sector from Singapore through to Melbourne(so if the plane is delayed in Changi, is going to be delayed in Darwin, cause its the same plane, get me?)

I would go with the AirAsia option to Gold Coast and catch one of the Tiger Airways (afternoon) flights to Melbourne

Tiger Airways Australia are much better and are different than Tiger Airways Singapore, its like a new airline here

I live In melbourne and travel quite a fair bit, so PM me with questions and Im more than happy to answer them

Edited by Lukas Mahoney

Tiger Airways Australia are much better and are different than Tiger Airways Singapore, its like a new airline here

disagree, tiger australia is worse. though tiger singapore isnt much better.

Why is TT worse than TR, reasons please :clapping:

1. slow check-in. overcrowded terminal, staff take their own sweet time checking passengers in.

2. they change gates without informing passengers. they switched gates in melbourne and left some passengers waiting and waiting.

3. hassle to claim luggage and re-check in at darwin, for MEL-DRW-SIN route. checkin is already slow as it is, and they were still checking people in 30 mins before departure!

4. checking in at every stop means paying for overweight luggage again and again (ok, this may be my fault)

5. damaged my carry on bag in DRW while the fa was shifting bags around in the overhead, which made me have to put everything in my checkin bag in SIN (thank god they didnt charge me for the overweight in SIN)

I have tried SQ (MEL-SIN-KUL), MH (KUL-MEL), Virgin Blue (MEL-OOL) / D7 (OOL-KUL), and Tiger Airways Singapore (SIN-DRW) / TT Australia (DRW-SIN). I tend to agree the Tiger Airways is the worst, especially the Australian branch, rude and since they are new the flight attendant looks unsure, slow and not professional.

The best ... is certainly SQ as they have good food, good entertainment, and good service. They have hot towels (not just hot tissue as in MH), and amenities even for economy (none for MH). These days the MH fares are most of the times more expensive than SQ. MH on the plus side offers you a direct KUL-MEL flight, those who wants less hassle will still enjoy flying MH. Note: The portion of food in MH has been cut down considerably - (One main meal, and the other is a small snekbox/bread).

As for budget airlines, I would again agree with Fendy, I did not enjoy the TR/TT flight at all. Let me share you a summary of my flight trip early this year.

Tiger Airways Singapore from the Budget Terminal Changi:

Queueing for check-in for almost 20 minutes, only 2 counters were opened for Darwin flight, the other two counters were for Bangkok flights, the rest 10 or so counters were closed. So you can imagine how empty the terminal is. After immigration, its sorta a nice place to just sit and relax, enjoying some food and limited shopping. The terminal wins big time compared to LCCT. There gates are separated from the shopping area. when you get to your gate, you can only stand to queue.

TR/TT flights have allocated seating, so there is no sprint frenzy happening going out of the budget terminal unlike LCCT, and it seems that the pax takes their own sweet time to go out. Good for customers, bad for the airline as they may have a short turnaround time. Oh did I mention, those who did my checkin was also the same person who tore out my boarding pass (gate agent). Really budget wo.

The flight was ok, but as squeez-in as the AirAsia regional seat pitch. I did not try the food as their food list is seriously limited, compared to AK menu. When arrived in DRW (about 2 AM), it took about 30-40 minutes to get our luggage, and then immigration as well (AU immigration is one of the strictest in the world), and then rechecking. They opened up at least 4 counters for MEL (I guess they are trying to make sure everyone get there checked in quickly).

To cut story short, the flight to MEL was delayed one hour (initially, the transit time was about 1 1/2 hours). In the TT flight, the inflight supervisor I believe is from TR (however is very rude, yelling to the front customers -who paid extra for the bulk seat, to put his stuff at the storage area at the back of the aircraft), the other cabin crew were Australians, but I can see that they asked the supervisor a lot, and a bit slow.

Arriving in the T4 (the so-called budget terminal of MEL), Walking on the tarmac being very cold, thinking, that's alright, I will be waiting my luggage in a warm terminal. I was wrong. We went into a shed, with roof but only with iron fences as its wall. OMG- I was speechless. Even toilets are portable (Thank god there is wall for the toilets). I can see the lugagges being brought into the building. Waiting 20 minutes for my luggage feels like one hour with the cold outside breezes. It was the worst feeling ever. And to make matter worse, if you are taking bus/taxi, you have to walk uphill to T3 as no bus/taxi allowed to park in front of T4.

For that, I vow not to take Tiger for a long-haul flight especially when you have big luggage.

I have not taken Jetstar MEL-DRW-SIN. You still need to do the checkout-checkin in Darwin though, but in MEL you will be in T1, so it is better. However, I would not fancy being to recheck again at godly hours in Darwin anymore. The Jetstar A320 seat pitch as the same as the AirAsia/Tiger seat pitch.

I have a pleasant flight with D7. The Nasi Lemak option meal from Australia was bland and very bad compared to the one from Malaysia (guess Australians dont know how to make Nasi Lemak)..hahaha. D7 has allocated seating, no IFE, but good seat pitch-better than the regional AirAsia. The crew was friendly, always asking me how I am and because it was only 60% full, many took more than 1 seat and stretch their legs, even one crew suggested me that. :D Overall, for the price I paid, I found D7 is more worth it than TT/TR

Sofian, are you going to travel March onwards? If you do, you can wait a bit for anticipated announcement from AirAsia X on their KUL-MEL flight. They were supposed to start the service to Melbourne ahead of Perth, but they were waiting for the approval from the Victorian Government on a new International terminal in Avalon. However, the gov turned down the proposal two weeks ago, and therefore, AirAsia will have to start their service in the Melbourne Airport (which is a good thing!), and in the news, it said it will start their service in March, on time with a new aircraft coming in on Feb/Mar. So you can always take this flight to MEL, without having to transit in Gold coast.

Hope that helps. :D

Another option is to stay at our MW members' place. Hey, there are 157 MalaysianWings members (I am kidding, but there are almost 10 of them perhaps?) living, studying, working in Mebourne. I am sure you have befriended with some. That's one of the point of joining a forum, right? For this option, budget for accommodation would be MYR 0! (if succeed).

Anyway, for hotel reservation in Australia, I would recommend www.wotif.com

Good luck :)

Is that what you have in mind ?

:p

Another place to consider for accommodation is YHA. There are 2-3 YHAs in Melbourne with at least one of them just on the edge of the city and I don't think they are too expensive but definitely not as cheap as Dewan Malaysia though it is much more strategically located than Dewan Malaysia.

Is that what you have in mind?

No, of course not (oh why do people always misunderstood me?)! Hehehe... Anyway, this thread is about Sofian, not me.

thanks to all, now I understand a little bit about trip to Melbourne. Azizul, thanks coz

willing to talk with me by phone last night. When you will come back to Malaysia?

i hope i can meet MWings members in there.

Sofian, are you going to travel March onwards? If you do, you can wait a bit for anticipated announcement from AirAsia X on their KUL-MEL flight. They were supposed to start the service to Melbourne ahead of Perth, but they were waiting for the approval from the Victorian Government on a new International terminal in Avalon. However, the gov turned down the proposal two weeks ago, and therefore, AirAsia will have to start their service in the Melbourne Airport (which is a good thing!), and in the news, it said it will start their service in March, on time with a new aircraft coming in on Feb/Mar. So you can always take this flight to MEL, without having to transit in Gold coast.

Hope that helps. :D

Good News! i planning to travel in June or July. It's suitable to traveling on this month?

However i will wait the announcement from AirAsia X.

Now, i still to search the partner for my trip. Coz i still too young to travel alone.

No, of course not (oh why do people always misunderstood me?)! Hehehe... Anyway, this thread is about Sofian, not me.

I was just joking there.

Edited by Sing Yew

The best ... is certainly SQ as they have good food, good entertainment, and good service. They have hot towels (not just hot tissue as in MH), and amenities even for economy (none for MH). These days the MH fares are most of the times more expensive than SQ. MH on the plus side offers you a direct KUL-MEL flight, those who wants less hassle will still enjoy flying MH. Note: The portion of food in MH has been cut down considerably - (One main meal, and the other is a small snekbox/bread).

Couldn't agree more. Besides, one of their 3 daily flights between SIN and MEL is operated by 77W. May be if the timing is right you will be able to hop on the much-talked about 77W.

Hotels are pretty expensive in Melbourne. Service apartments are better alternatives. I'll be in Melbourne for at least another year and a half, so let me know if you need any help.

Melbourne/Avalon is off AirAsiaX's radar for now. AVV will not be developed to cope with the traffic apparently. So its a tossup between MH/SQ/TG/GA/TR-TT/JQ...

I would advise coming in spring (Sept - Nov), nice weather for traveling. Winters tend to be too grey here.

For hotel deals, try www.lastminute.com.au a couple of days before travel.

Melbourne/Avalon is off AirAsiaX's radar for now. AVV will not be developed to cope with the traffic apparently. So its a tossup between MH/SQ/TG/GA/TR-TT/JQ...

I would advise coming in spring (Sept - Nov), nice weather for traveling. Winters tend to be too grey here.

For hotel deals, try www.lastminute.com.au a couple of days before travel.

Wahh! thanks to all, a lot of information i got from this thread!

MWings very beneficial once!

what is places of interest in Melbourne? (mean the location that visitor compulsory drop in?)

Edited by M. Sofian H.

When are u coming? Next month or June or July of 09?

Try this for places of interest. Have a look at those day trip or tours on the right top column.

Try this also if you are interested in the CBD area.

p.s. Melbourne MWings members, wanna meet up tomorrow for dinner or Sunday for lunch?

We can treat it as a celebration for MalaysianWings 3rd Anniversary.

Just a suggestion though. :rolleyes:

Try to land in Melbourne's Tullaramine airport, Not Melbournes Avalon airport! One time i flew jet star to Avalon and i found out that the airport is located near the outskirts of Melbourne. I was so embarresed when my friend drove for 1 and a half hours from the airport to his house :blush: . That is why Avalon is slightly cheaper than Tullaramine. In my opinion the extra cost is worthit with the extremely high fuel prices these days...

Sign in to follow this