MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jani

Best Way to Travel from KUL to ORD/LAX/JFK/EWR?

At this moment, it seems my travel itinerary should stop at ORD because I will be meeting up with my cousin there and hang around Chicago a bit.

By the way, when I touch down in the US, how long do you guys think it would take the immigration to clear a student? Especially a Muslim one..? You know them Yanks....

I have got the almost perfect itinerary of KUL-SIN-DME-IAH-ORD-SDF but IAH-ORD only has a layover time of about 1 hour 30 minutes!! I can't take the risk.

Please view my photo report on SQ's A345 Y+ below :drinks:

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8535

Yeah, I read that one quite some time ago.

In fact, if you check back, I also replied in it :D

Have been on SQ's 77W? Which would you prefer if you had to consider flight time, poor load (which is good, haha), etc.

Edited by jani

No. DL is not an Enrich partner. And the merged entity between DL and NW will be DL, not NW remember?

You can get Enrich miles by flying with MH, NH, VS, AF, KL, NW, LX and DJ only (of course on applicable fare groups only).

Yeah, it all depends if you're a member of a FFP already...

Why not consider KLM, part of Skyteam, like DL, NW and (up to now) CO.

Don't know which travel-agents deal with KLM, but what I do know is they've very favourable connections at AMS after arrival of KL0810 from KUL: JFK, IAD, ORD, IAH, DFW, and about 15 more destinations when continuing on NW (code-share flights)...

If you might want a cheap alternative: fly QR via DOH; they do nonstops from DOH to the US (IAD) nowadays with 773's ;)

Jani, if I can interpret what Peter is hinting at...

KUL-AMS-ORD with MH and KL. Simpler itinerary, possibly getting into ORD much quicker, less trouble with US Immigration, AMS is a fabulous transit point and earn Enrich miles all the way. Personally, this would be my choice of itinerary if I am going to ORD.

The routing is KUL-AMS-DTW-ORD though.

That's the routing I tried on Sabre but ran into issues with availability on the KUL-AMS sector. NW codeshare on KLM is sold out in the discount classes. Using the KL code only S class was displayed. :huh:

Edited by Keith T

At this moment, it seems my travel itinerary should stop at ORD because I will be meeting up with my cousin there and hang around Chicago a bit.

In that case, if u prefer shortest travel time, take JL or AA

KUL-(JL)-xNRT-(JL)-ORD

or

KUL-(AA codeshare, opd by JL)-NRT-(AA)-ORD

Personally, I really like to transit in NRT because there are things to see, spotting, model aircraft stores (JAL & ANA stores), shopping, food... etc. If u are in one of the satellite buildings @ T1, go to the top floor for 360 view of the tarmac (not sure if it's still there after so many renovations.

By the way, when I touch down in the US, how long do you guys think it would take the immigration to clear a student? Especially a Muslim one..? You know them Yanks....

Shouldn't be that long. Clearing ORD should be faster than LAX/SFO/EWR/JFK. Being a Malaysian Muslim Student on F-1 visa, you are 95% required to be fingerprinted. Just agreed to it & you'll be ok.

Yeah, I read that one quite some time ago.

In fact, if you check back, I also replied in it :D

Cheers dude! :drinks:

Have been on SQ's 77W? Which would you prefer if you had to consider flight time, poor load (which is good, haha), etc.

Yes I've been on SQ's 77W. The Y seats are the same on their A380. Brand new Krisworld with 10+" lcd monitors. 32" seat pitch, quite comfortable as the whole seat slide forward when u recline.

And don't count on SQ having poor loads as I have NEVER been on an SQ flight with poor load. Bear in mind the period u travel is in peak summer months (I presume, since fall semester starts after summer).

Since you're inclined to taking SQ, I strongly advise u to take SQ22 A345 Y+, after Sep they will be no more!

38" pitch with legrest (this is considered business class already by many other airlines)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianfuller/200143245/

There will be 3 cabin crews on duty in Y anytime (2 serving left aisle & 1 on the right, usually)

Behind seat 47A/C, there's a pax hangout area where u can grab your drinks & snacks.

And u can chit-chat with the cabin crew there :D , and they're super nice (usually) on these ultra long hauls.

Furthermore, only SQ, EY, EK, & TAM operates the A345. Kingfisher soon. TG is getting rid of them.

With SQ converting them to full C, being able to travel on an A345 is a privilege & rare opportunity.

Certainly not many MWingers get to travel on it.

I have travelled on them, I enjoyed & cherished every A345 flight.

And don't count on SQ having poor loads as I have NEVER been on an SQ flight with poor load. Bear in mind the period u travel is in peak summer months (I presume, since fall semester starts after summer).

Actually I've read around and supposedly the Y receives a poor load because this route is mainly for premium and cargo passengers.

I'll hope for the best, anyway.

And about the 'aviation-romance' thing, I don't really buy it, at least not yet :D

Shouldn't be that long. Clearing ORD should be faster than LAX/SFO/EWR/JFK. Being a Malaysian Muslim Student on F-1 visa, you are 95% required to be fingerprinted. Just agreed to it & you'll be ok.

Actually, ALL visitors to the US are subject to fingerprinting once you enter the U.S. The only difference you may encounter is the NSEERS Special Registration program. That can take up to an extra hour!

I've found entering through Mother O'Hare far more tiresome than the other entry ports. LAX T4 was by far the easiest (but only QF or AA use T4 - TBIT is appalling).

Edited by Keith T

very likely for younger travellers, secondary immigration checks.... data updates.I always get the "priviledge" of being sent to secondary checks, I remember the months after 9/11 was worst - had to report to a special base of the departing airport of my departure from US.

You can be sure there is no discrimination of religion in the airports....

We are visitors to their country so we have to abide by their immigrational rules just like they have to abide to our immigration laws when they come here.

Been browsing through the net, met some travel agents and in the end I found this itinerary on Expedia:

13th August 2008

MH02 KUL-LHR

AA99 LHR-ORD

For quite a fare price of about $1315.

Now, I want to ask, why is it quite cheap? Can Expedia be trusted?

Never used them but friends have had positive experiences. Looks like an AA fare to me, though such a routing is unusual. As long as you get ticket numbers after payment you'd be fine, as in the fare ought to be guaranteed....(as it doesn't look like one of those error fares either).

Expedia is one of the biggest online travel store in the UK. I first used them back in 2001. Some of their Expedia special fare can be very attractive.

Jani, keep us informed of your trip (should be in a few days from now on). A trip report with sightseeing portion of downtown Chicago, just before enrolling into the university in LEX is much appreciated, if you have the time to do so. :)

Since you choosed AA, I think IF YOU ARE INTO THIS WHOLE FFP THINGY, better tie all your travel with them and so, you are officially a OneWorld FFP member. Maybe you can ask Keith T to learn the tricks and such, since he is also a proud OneWorld FFP member. I think your future travels back home should be done with CX instead of MH.

haha, unfortunately I'm not going to sight see in Chicago :(

I'm only transiting there so I can meet up with my cousin and we will go together to SDF (Louisville) and drive to LEX.

Regarding FFP's, I have recently just figured out how useful it can be. But whatever the case, for convenience sake, I'll stick with Enrich.

I've also just realized even more greatly now how so important it is for MH to join SkyTeam!! Can use DL all the time when I'm in the states ;)

jani - do please consider AAdvantage. Or at least an FFP of a carrier that belongs to an alliance.

You can then do the AAdvantage Gold or Platinum challenge (ow ruby and sapphire respectively). This is AA's shortcut way to elite status (alas there's no EXP challenge) - just 5000 elite qualifying points for Gold and 10 000 for Platinum on AA flight codes (including codeshares operated by other airlines) within 3 months. You do need to requalify the 'usual' way though. But even if you can't requalify you do get to enjoy at least a year of elite status which is most useful if traveling within the US - priority check in, boarding, upgrade certs, lounge access on international itineraries etc. Get Gold or Platinum after July 16 and your status is valid till Feb 2010. Simply call AAdvantage customer service to sign up and nominate a start date. (details on aa.com)

I think your future travels back home should be done with CX instead of MH.

CX gives zero miles to AAdvantage customers if booked in discount economy (anything other than YBH classes). But switch to the AA codeshare numbers on the same flights and watch your accrual transform to 100% in most discount economy booking classes. :)

Edited by Keith T

As a student, r u intend to travel a lot? From my perspective, if ur traveling only during the summertime, most you can do with the miles is an upgrade from economy to Biz or redemption for domestic flight. Of course u hv to stick to an alliance or airline program.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Seth K

As a student, r u intend to travel a lot? From my perspective, if ur traveling only during the summertime, most you can do with the miles is an upgrade from economy to Biz or redemption for domestic flight. Of course u hv to stick to an alliance or airline program.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Or save up the miles towards a long haul premium award. Lots of FFPs including AAdvantage feature non-expiring miles so long as you have activity (either earn or burn) on the account every 18 months or 3 years.

Edited by Keith T

jani - if you've not ticketed with expedia yet, please check your PM inbox...;) Edited by Keith T

Yeap, thanks for the PM Keith.

One question, if I book my MH flight through Expedia, can I use Enrich miles to upgrade to J?

Edited by jani

Yeap, thanks for the PM Keith.

One question, if I book my MH flight through Expedia, can I use Enrich miles to upgrade to J?

Remember to check the fare rules and the booking class before you make any purchase at Expedia. Some booking class are not eligible for upgrades.

Expedia fare may be of good value but the downside is it may be very restricted - i.e. non-refundable or non-changable.

Edited by H C Chai

Everything is done and I have booked myself on the Expedia deal which is MH02 to LHR and then straight to ORD on AA99.

I just want to find out how to upgrade to J now :D

I have been using Expedia for my US domestic travel and hotel for the past few years, and everything has been fine.

Journey mercies to you, and remember to post many Lexington photos on the site. I miss UK.

Sign in to follow this