MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jani

Best Way to Travel from KUL to ORD/LAX/JFK/EWR?

Hello fellow MWings, I think this is the first time I've ever opened up a thread so forgive me if it is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I just recently got accepted to continue my studies in the US and I have to report there by the 13th of August, 2008.

For this reason, obviously I would have to book myself an economy ticket, and I was wondering what do you aviation experts recommend in terms of my route.

Price is of course a main factor but lets forget about it for a while so that I can enjoy a nice trip.

By the way, I'm continuing to Lexington (LEX) from any of these airports so availability of flights would also be something to consider and ORD would be preferable, but flights there out of KUL would contain multi-stopovers.

So I have browsed around some airline websites, and currently, and to my great surprise, SQ is offering the cheapest fare (KUL-SIN-LAX) at RM4012.00 including tax etc, but according to their website, the aircraft will be an A340-500 with Executive Economy class! :shok: Can someone verify this? I thought all their A340's were already converted to an all J configuration? But to me, a really big downside is that how can one handle a full 18 hours on a plane? I cannot even begin to imagine.

Meanwhile, MH's KUL-TPE-LAX is RM4429.00 and KUL-ARN-EWR is RM4134.00. But these are the "full flex" fares. I'm not sure, but with some contacts I'm sure this price can be significantly lower? The upside is of course the stopover, but no Y+!

So, so far this is the research I have done, and I will continue looking at some other airlines like EK and the likes.

I hope you guys can give some good suggestions.

Thanks.

Edited by jani

1) United Airlines (GSA in Bangunan MAS)

Routing

---------

KUL-(MH/SQ)-xSIN-(UA)-xNRT-(UA)-xORD-(UA)-LEX

or

KUL-(MH/CX)-xHKG-(UA)-xORD-(UA)-LEX

or

KUL-(MH/TG)-xBKK-(UA)-xNRT-xORD-LEX

(ORD is UA's hub)

Can claim FF points if you have any Star Alliance member's FF program, e.g SQ's Krisflyer, TG's Royal Orchid Club, UA's Mileage Plus

2) Northwest Airlines (GSA in Menara TA One, if not mistaken)

Routing

---------

KUL-(MH/SQ)-xSIN-(NW)-xNRT-(NW)-xMSP or xDTW-(NW)-LEX

(MSP & DTW are NW's hub)

Can claim FF points with MH's Enrich!

Both have very attractive student fares (I think) which allow you to check in one extra piece of luggage (not sure if this is still available)

The fastest/easiest routes (if $$ no objection):

KE: KUL-xICN-ATL-(DL)-LEX or KUL-xICN-DFW-(DL)-LEX

SQ: KUL-xSIN-EWR-(CO)-LEX or KUL-xSIN-xDME-IAH-(CO)-LEX

MH: KUL-xARN-EWR-(CO)-LEX

JL: KUL-xNRT-DFW-(AA)-LEX

Visit a Travel Agent Larr!! So many in KL area... Reliance... STA... GTT... in Sungei Wang.... use my suggestion as guidance

Hope these help :drinks:

Edited by Andi C

Thank you man.

Travel agent? Yeah, I already have one. I just want to make my own itinerary.

Most of the time travel agents just want whats the most simple/easy for them.

First of all, congratulation Jani for getting a place in a US university. Great achievement!

As for the suggestion, I am not sure whether your main basis is the cost or the FFP miles. Both plays a very significant roles in determining which airlines that you are going to choose to make up the travel itinerary.

If you are already a FFP member of certain airlines, I guess it is better to fly with airlines that give miles to your FFP account as this is a very long journey that can earn you a lot of FFP miles.

If you are not a member of any FFP, and do not care about all this FFP matter whatsoever, I would suggest to go with the itinerary that cost the least.

But if you are not a member of any FFP, but would like to become one and using this journey as your maiden FFP miles journey, then it is crucial for you to choose which FFP that you are going to embrace. This trip also will determine the US airlines that you are going to fly with on many occasions (if you have a plan to scale the country on your own).

Choose wisely. :)

Hello fellow MWings, I think this is the first time I've ever opened up a thread so forgive me if it is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I just recently got accepted to continue my studies in the US and I have to report there by the 13th of August, 2008.

For this reason, obviously I would have to book myself an economy ticket, and I was wondering what do you aviation experts recommend in terms of my route.

Price is of course a main factor but lets forget about it for a while so that I can enjoy a nice trip.

By the way, I'm continuing to Lexington (LEX) from any of these airports so availability of flights would also be something to consider and ORD would be preferable, but flights there out of KUL would contain multi-stopovers.

So I have browsed around some airline websites, and currently, and to my great surprise, SQ is offering the cheapest fare (KUL-SIN-LAX) at RM4012.00 including tax etc, but according to their website, the aircraft will be an A340-500 with Executive Economy class! :shok: Can someone verify this? I thought all their A340's were already converted to an all J configuration? But to me, a really big downside is that how can one handle a full 18 hours on a plane? I cannot even begin to imagine.

Meanwhile, MH's KUL-TPE-LAX is RM4429.00 and KUL-ARN-EWR is RM4134.00. But these are the "full flex" fares. I'm not sure, but with some contacts I'm sure this price can be significantly lower? The upside is of course the stopover, but no Y+!

So, so far this is the research I have done, and I will continue looking at some other airlines like EK and the likes.

I hope you guys can give some good suggestions.

Thanks.

SQ is progressively converting their 5 A345 - they have progresively started with Newark (3 times weekly) before converting all and then on to SIN/LAX leg progressively, expected to complete late september 2008.

I wonder would we get Enrich points for flying with Delta? Since they have merged with Northwest?

No. DL is not an Enrich partner. And the merged entity between DL and NW will be DL, not NW remember?

You can get Enrich miles by flying with MH, NH, VS, AF, KL, NW, LX and DJ only (of course on applicable fare groups only).

To pay so much and travel in a 777 with a 3-4-3 config? No thank you :D

Pay so much?! I know EK is the cheapest out there. 3 4 3 seat but really comfortable/lots of legroom plus the ICE entertainment system. But less legroom for DXB-States compare to KUL-DXB. Yeah, I guess its not the best out there :(

Edited by Seth K

First of all, congrats to you Jani. May i know which university you are going to further your studies in US ?

By the way, you might want to consider taking either Lufthansa German Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, Korean Air, Eva Air or China Airlines too.

If i were you i might opt for SQ or NWA. I will choose NWA because of its partnership with MAS Enrich and their transatlantic service isn't too shabby. Meals served in EY are comparable to Asian carriers.

Edited by Isaac

Found the following on DL KUL-LEX:

PQ 1                                                            

BASE FARE     EQUIV AMT        TAXES          TOTAL      
        MYR3146       USD962.00      185.50XT     USD1147.50ADT 
    XT      15.40US       5.50YC       7.00XY       5.00XA      
             2.50AY      15.60MY     130.00YQ       4.50XF      
ADT-01  MHAPBO                                                  
LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 07AUG/2359                                 
KUL DL X/SEL DL X/ATL DL LEX M988.99MHAPBO NUC988.99END ROE3    
.1803 XFATL4.5                                                  
VALIDATING CARRIER - DL                                         
REF/CHANGE PENALTIES APPLY                                      
01 O KUL DL  7912M  09AUG  115A  MHAPBO           09AUG09AUG    
02 X ICN DL    92M  09AUG  605P  MHAPBO           09AUG09AUG    
03 X ATL DL  5334M  09AUG  935P  MHAPBO           09AUG09AUG   
     LEX                                                       ‡
VALIDATING CARRIER-DL

According to XE that converts to approximately MYR3732 all in, and gets you all the way to LEX.

UA:

PQ 1  NCB                                                       

MYR2667       USD815.00      233.50XT     USD1048.50ADT 
             2.50AY      15.60MY      13.00CN     165.00YQ      
             4.50XF                                             
ADT-01  HHEMYO                                                  
LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 31JUL/2359                                 
KUL MH X/SHA Q100.00UA X/CHI UA LEX738.60HHEMYO NUC838.60END    
ROE3.1803 XFORD4.5                                             
VALIDATING CARRIER - UA                                         
NON END/CHANGE FEE APPLIES/CANCEL FEE APPLIES                   
01 O KUL MH   388Y  10AUG  850A  HHEMYO           10AUG10AUG    
02 X PVG UA   836Y  10AUG  355P  HHEMYO           10AUG10AUG   
03 X ORD UA  5985Y  10AUG  750P  HHEMYO           10AUG10AUG   ‡
     LEX                                                        
VALIDATING CARRIER-UA

Approx MYR3413.35 all in.

The UA fare can also be done KUL-SIN on MH, and UA the rest of the way via NRT/HKG etc.

I've only searched on price. These are published fares you can get from any TA or the airline/airline GSA directly.

The MH and SQ fares I found to LAX/NYC were similar to what you've posted.

Edited by Keith T

By the way, I'm continuing to Lexington (LEX)

Please tell me you are going to attend the University of Kentucky. Finally someone going to the same school as me :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

What's your major?

Found the following on DL KUL-LEX:

PQ 1                                                            

MYR3146       USD962.00      185.50XT     USD1147.50ADT 
             2.50AY      15.60MY     130.00YQ       4.50XF      
ADT-01  MHAPBO                                                  
LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 07AUG/2359                                 
KUL DL X/SEL DL X/ATL DL LEX M988.99MHAPBO NUC988.99END ROE3    
.1803 XFATL4.5                                                  
VALIDATING CARRIER - DL                                         
REF/CHANGE PENALTIES APPLY                                      
01 O KUL DL  7912M  09AUG  115A  MHAPBO           09AUG09AUG    
02 X ICN DL    92M  09AUG  605P  MHAPBO           09AUG09AUG    
03 X ATL DL  5334M  09AUG  935P  MHAPBO           09AUG09AUG   
     LEX                                                       ‡
VALIDATING CARRIER-DL

According to XE that converts to approximately MYR3732 all in, and gets you all the way to LEX.

UA:

PQ 1  NCB                                                       

MYR2667       USD815.00      233.50XT     USD1048.50ADT 
             2.50AY      15.60MY      13.00CN     165.00YQ      
             4.50XF                                             
ADT-01  HHEMYO                                                  
LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 31JUL/2359                                 
KUL MH X/SHA Q100.00UA X/CHI UA LEX738.60HHEMYO NUC838.60END    
ROE3.1803 XFORD4.5                                             
VALIDATING CARRIER - UA                                         
NON END/CHANGE FEE APPLIES/CANCEL FEE APPLIES                   
01 O KUL MH   388Y  10AUG  850A  HHEMYO           10AUG10AUG    
02 X PVG UA   836Y  10AUG  355P  HHEMYO           10AUG10AUG   
03 X ORD UA  5985Y  10AUG  750P  HHEMYO           10AUG10AUG   ‡
     LEX                                                        
VALIDATING CARRIER-UA

Approx MYR3413.35 all in.

The UA fare can also be done KUL-SIN on MH, and UA the rest of the way via NRT/HKG etc.

I've only searched on price. These are published fares you can get from any TA or the airline/airline GSA directly.

The MH and SQ fares I found to LAX/NYC were similar to what you've posted.

Mind telling which site you got this info from...seemed very interesting...thanks in advance

Please tell me you are going to attend the University of Kentucky. Finally someone going to the same school as me :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

What's your major?

Woo! I'm doing Civil Engineering.

Can you please PM me your MSN address or something?

Thanks.

@Keith, now thats some cheap prices. DL code-shares with MH from KUL to ICN, is that correct?

Have any of you been on SQ's Y+ or know anything more about it? Do you think it would be worth it to pay approximately RM1500 more and get their product?

Woo! I'm doing Civil Engineering.

Can you please PM me your MSN address or something?

Thanks.

@Keith, now thats some cheap prices. DL code-shares with MH from KUL to ICN, is that correct?

Have any of you been on SQ's Y+ or know anything more about it? Do you think it would be worth it to pay approximately RM1500 more and get their product?

I personally wouldn't spend RM1500 just to fly on Y+ plus SQ leaves you in LAX which has extremely limited connections to LEX without making at least one additional stop.

Mind telling which site you got this info from...seemed very interesting...thanks in advance

I have access to Sabre, a GDS (Global Distribution System, or in plain English - computer reservation system). Got it mainly to book my own flights as I got sick of arguing with airline offices and travel agents, and it's much faster than coaxing fares out of websites.

It's very technical, there are lots of formats to learn. But once I got the hang of it it's a breeze. Found the above with just a few simple keystrokes.

Nope - they codeshare with KE.

Edited by Keith T

BTW just looking at fares alone NW seems to be the cheapest. But I ran into issues with availability.

Unless you have a lot of points in Enrich, I wouldn't consider sticking with Enrich and going with NW. You earn pretty much 70% base miles for all flights except when you are booked in Y or higher (C, D, Z etc.). And chances are, you won't be booked in Y unless there are irr-ops. Plus your miles with NW does not qualify for elite status.

If you are planning on returning to Malaysia this calendar year (ie 2008), then I say start a new FFP with an American based carrier since most of the airlines give you 100% base miles and some even with 500 minimum miles (United just announced that it will be suspending its 500 miles minimum accural policy) *grr*

I'd stay away from flying into the west coast (LAX/SFO). The earliest flight you can get into the LAX/SFO is around 11 am or noon, and by the time you clear immigration/customs, you'll need to fly over to Chicago/Detroit/Cicinnati etc. and it's like 7-8 pm once you arrive at the connecting city and connect onto the last flight to LEX. I think there are too much traveling and layovers involved by flying through LAX/SFO, especially since it's your first trip as a student.

I've flown on SQ A345 before and although the nonstop flight seems really long, it's really not as bad as you'd think. I'd say that I enjoy flying the EE on SQ for SIN-LAX better than Y on LHR-KUL/SIN on MH/SQ. I also find EE in SQ A345 much better than Y in TG's A345.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Craig

Thanks, Craig. The point you make about too many connections is surely one to consider.

Actually, regarding FFP, I'm only a member of Enrich and I don't actually bother about it even if I've flown MH quite a few times over the years, so I don't think miles is an important factor to me.

One question, anybody been on SQ's 77W? How good is the Y compared to the A340 Y+?

The fare for KUL-SIN-DME-IAH-ORD is actually just about the same compared to KUL-SIN-LAX-CVG-LEX. So even if I get Y+ on the A340, I would be getting a normal Y on the 77W but with poor loads, meaning good "beds" :D and a stop in Moscow too.

My previous experience on MH from KUL-EWR-NWK turned out an unforgettable experience though the journey is a bid long. I am quite impressed with the inflight service. Friendly and charming crew on board. That's what i call extra long haul flight on board MH B777.

Edited by Kenneth T

The fare for KUL-SIN-DME-IAH-ORD is actually just about the same compared to KUL-SIN-LAX-CVG-LEX. So even if I get Y+ on the A340, I would be getting a normal Y on the 77W but with poor loads, meaning good "beds" and a stop in Moscow too.

I think you can do KUL-SIN-DME-IAH-LEX direct, no need to go north to ORD.

Sign in to follow this