MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Geoff R.

MMEA Sign Contract For 2 Bombardier 415MPs

Not seen this news, that was announced on Friday, posted so here goes.

Geoff

Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency becomes Asian launch customer for the Bombardier 415MP aircraft

MONTREAL, QUEBEC - Jun 13, 2008 -- Today, Bombardier Aerospace announced that the government of Malaysia has placed a firm order for two Bombardier 415 multipurpose amphibious aircraft (Bombardier 415MP) for the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA). With this order, the Malaysian government becomes the launch customer in Asia for the specialized Bombardier 415MP aircraft.

In addition, the contract includes aircraft integration and training.

A variant of the rugged Bombardier 415 amphibious aircraft, the only aircraft specifically designed for aerial firefighting, the two Bombardier 415MP will be modified with maritime surveillance capabilities to meet the specialized needs of the MMEA. As such, the two Bombardier 415MP aircraft will be equipped with a state-of-the-art surveillance suite that includes two side-looking airborne radars, one forward-looking infrared radar, an airborne maritime surveillance system and other avionics and communications equipment.

"The aircraft's ability to fly at low speed and low altitude with great manoeuvrability and to land on water also makes it an ideal aircraft for coastal patrol missions," said Michel Bourgeois, President, Specialized and Amphibious Aircraft Division, Bombardier Aerospace.

"Our Bombardier 415MP aircraft also offers unique multi-mission capabilities for a wide range of missions as it combines the capabilities of a traditional surveillance aircraft with the added benefit of being able to execute direct interventions on water. It is a very capable and cost-effective aircraft, able to carry out a multitude of specialized missions that previously required dedicated vessels and aircraft," added Mr. Bourgeois.

Since delivery of the first Bombardier 415 aircraft in 1994, Bombardier Aerospace has delivered 67 Bombardier 415 aircraft in Croatia, France, Greece, Italy, Ontario, Quebec and Spain, with 42 aircraft in operation in the Mediterranean region alone.

The multi-purpose Bombardier 415MP can be used in a variety of specialized missions such as search and rescue, environmental protection, coastal patrol and transportation. It is fitted with sophisticated sensors to locate and identify vessels, people in distress and pollutants.

This is good. Malaysia needs more of such planes instead of just state-of-the-art combat aircraft.

Aircraft specifically designed for aerial firefighting from Bombardier Aerospace... as if its purposedly sparking interests for our 'Bomba' (fire fighters / department) to place some orders.. hehe.. :p (silly joke, I know..)

I personally would love to see more amphibious aircrafts here in Malaysia. Not only for maritime purposes, with the constant haze from illegal forest burnings, we could really use the 415MPs not only to fight the fire but also to scout these forest arsonists too. Just a suggestion.

415_1.jpg

This aircraft could only fly 5 hours max. What a waste of money. Should have bought several patrol boats or even UAVs.I dunno what the PM Department(who is in charge of MMEA finances) is thinking.

I am not too sure whether we have expertise to maintain such an aircraft. It will surely be more hard to maintain due to marine corrosion.Maintaining aircrafts on the grouns is hard enough as it is..let alone one that constantly exposed to sea water.

Edited by HijazKamalHasnan

This MMEA body seem to have sprung up only within the last few years - was it known as something else before ?

Surely there must be some overlap of functions with the marine police and (to lesser extent) the navy ?

Bombardier's getting more prominent now in the malaysian scene, eh?

This MMEA body seem to have sprung up only within the last few years - was it known as something else before ?

Surely there must be some overlap of functions with the marine police and (to lesser extent) the navy ?

Definitely you dont know how law enforcement works in the high seas.The RMN main job is to defend against external threat to Malaysia from the maritime perspective whereas the Marine Police is for inshore enforcement or littoral waters.The Navy does not have the power to arrest and charge civilians in court,that can only be made by the RMP,so here comes the Coast Guard or MMEA.Then the Navy can concentrate on major combattant vessels such as Frigates,Corvettes ,Submarines and Multipurpose Support Vessels and let the MMEA get those patrol boats and OPVs.Also the other responsibility for MMEA is Maritime rescue.

This aircraft could only fly 5 hours max. What a waste of money. Should have bought several patrol boats or even UAVs.I dunno what the PM Department(who is in charge of MMEA finances) is thinking.

I am not too sure whether we have expertise to maintain such an aircraft. It will surely be more hard to maintain due to marine corrosion.Maintaining aircrafts on the grouns is hard enough as it is..let alone one that constantly exposed to sea water.

The mission that is envisaged for the CL 415MP will not only be maritime patrol but will also encompass rescue.When they do a goverment purchase of this magnitude ofcourse they will include a total training package,from operations to maintainance crew.Previuosly the RMAF had operated amphibuos airplanes (2 x Grumman Albatross operated by No.1 Sqn)

If you want to know what a waste of money is;

the buying of the ACJ 9M - NAA and letting a private company run it and charge the goverment for its usage.

only now just about to upgrade if any public transport systems in country ie LRT,Monorail,Busses

just now wants to start double tracking project for KTM after the cost have inflated (southern portion only)

no rail transport for the so called second link to Penang (instead of having a public viewing area in the middle of the bridge?)

wasting so much goverment funds for the refurbishment of the Parliament building but forgot to change the electrical wiring.

Definitely you dont know how law enforcement works in the high seas

You are spot on there - all at sea ! :)

Thanks for clarification !

The mission that is envisaged for the CL 415MP will not only be maritime patrol but will also encompass rescue.When they do a goverment purchase of this magnitude ofcourse they will include a total training package,from operations to maintainance crew.Previuosly the RMAF had operated amphibuos airplanes (2 x Grumman Albatross operated by No.1 Sqn)

If you want to know what a waste of money is;

the buying of the ACJ 9M - NAA and letting a private company run it and charge the goverment for its usage.

only now just about to upgrade if any public transport systems in country ie LRT,Monorail,Busses

just now wants to start double tracking project for KTM after the cost have inflated (southern portion only)

no rail transport for the so called second link to Penang (instead of having a public viewing area in the middle of the bridge?)

wasting so much goverment funds for the refurbishment of the Parliament building but forgot to change the electrical wiring.

There are only about 100+ of these aircrafts in use and only the US and Canada are the major users. I still believe these aircrafts will be a logistical nightmare.Technical data reveals that these aircrafts can only fly for only 5 hours at one time .With only two of these, I dun think these babies will get to see much rescuing and patrolling around our vast coastline in 5 hour . A combination of UAVs and SAR helis would have been desirable and more effective for SAR .

In addition, our maritime security is a pressing matter since we have pirates infested Malacca straits and a fleet of aging former RMN boats. MMEA could have got at least a dozen of patrol boats with the money to buy these flying boats.

The Grumman Albatross were retired pretty quickly because RMAF cannot maintain them and you could ask any Malaysian defense enthusiasts for confirmation.

These planes are a great addition to the MMEA, but they could have gotten something better.

Edited by HijazKamalHasnan

Remember that the CL 415 is first and foremost a water bomber. If it can double up as anything else, fine but make sure it can be used, and crew trained for fire fighting service whenever required.

If that is the case then it will be a good buy.

Nice plane. Can use by FRU as well to create more peaceful Malaysia :p

The acid used will make a hole in the belly long before it can be used on the protesters.

MMEA is a new entity created only 2-3 years ago consisting of ex-navy and other enforcement agencies personnel such as Customs, Fisheries Dept and Marine Dept/police. The equipment were also hand me down from these agencies. Initially there'll be some overlapping of functions between these agencies but slowly the transition is taking place.

Nice plane. Can use by FRU as well to create more peaceful Malaysia :p

I can't wait for that to happen. I'll be ready down here. For the benefit of MW members, I think I should get a waterproof or better acidproof digital camera so as to document our FRU in action for a peaceful Malaysia. I just hope it doesn't mean a long trip to Kamunting!

Remember that the CL 415 is first and foremost a water bomber. If it can double up as anything else, fine but make sure it can be used, and crew trained for fire fighting service whenever required.

The acid used will make a hole in the belly long before it can be used on the protesters.

Since most demonstration happen in mid KL (Jalan Tuanku Abd Rahman, KLCC, Kampung Baru), it should be interesting watching these CL 415 flying very very low between buildings over KL.

Sorry OT. Can't resist :D

I don't think the MMEA aircraft will retain the water bombing capability. There is no mention in the press release that the MMEA aircraft will be able to perform fire fighting - enchroaching on Bomba territory I guess.

The aircraft are going to be "modified with maritime surveillance capabilities to meet the specialized needs of the MMEA" ........ "equipped with a state-of-the-art surveillance suite that includes two side-looking airborne radars, one forward-looking infrared radar, an airborne maritime surveillance system and other avionics and communications equipment."

And the following extract from the press release makes no mention fire fighting ........"The multi-purpose Bombardier 415MP can be used in a variety of specialized missions such as search and rescue, environmental protection, coastal patrol and transportation. It is fitted with sophisticated sensors to locate and identify vessels, people in distress and pollutants."

However, they will look nice in MMEA colours.

Any one heard when they will be delivered?

Geoff

I don't think the MMEA aircraft will retain the water bombing capability. There is no mention in the press release that the MMEA aircraft will be able to perform fire fighting - enchroaching on Bomba territory I guess.

Then whenever there is haze-generating forest fire in the region we can sent those CL415 to "monitor the situation" and probably try to catch whoever caused the fire. Of course, no effort can be made to put out the fire itself.

What a joke. Can anyone imagine a CL415 that cannot be a water bomber?

I've seen a CL215 (the predecessor to the 415) doing a demonstration years ago. Amazing.

BTW I think the maintenance for the turbine-engined CL415 will be far easier than radial-powered Grumman Albatross that has been out of production for decades.

Edited by Radzi

I don't think the MMEA aircraft will retain the water bombing capability .....

The aircraft are going to be "modified with .....

I share capt Radzi's sentiments

Please, oh please, let Geoff's quote above be a joke or something equally harmless !

Modifying a purpose built water bomber to do the job of a coastal surveillance plane; much like modifying a sledgehammer to function as a screwdriver (I suppose) :)

SAR likely to occur in adverse weather, with so much equipments to weight down the CL-415MP. Wonder what is the revised sea landing operation limits? Sea state 2?

:drinks:

I reckon the Beriev Be-200 is better than the Bombardier 415 for Malaysia..

Beriev Be-200 1

Beriev Be-200 2

If they buy those...another 2 "astronauts" will be making teh tarik in space.... :rolleyes:

for patrol/surveillance/reconnaissance/monitoring duty, it would be better done by a fix wing such as Airtech CN-235/Lockheed P-3 Orion or even better a C-130.

while for SAR purposes, better to have it done by using helicopter. to purchase an amphibious to do a maritime duty, well, to me its a bit unwise.

for patrol/surveillance/reconnaissance/monitoring duty, it would be better done by a fix wing such as Airtech CN-235/Lockheed P-3 Orion or even better a C-130.

while for SAR purposes, better to have it done by using helicopter. to purchase an amphibious to do a maritime duty, well, to me its a bit unwise.

May be MMEA is planning to board and issue summon to fishing boats :pardon:

:drinks: