MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

AirAsia launches KL-Kuantan route

AirAsia launches KL-Kuantan route

KUANTAN: Low-cost carrier AirAsia officially launched its KL-Kuantan route here on Tuesday, marking its success in establishing flights to all destinations in the peninsula.

The airline introduced its daily flights from the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) to Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah airport here beginning June 1.

The event was launched by Tengku Mahkota Pahang Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.

Among those present were Tengku Puan Pahang Tengku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah Sultan Iskandar, Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob and AirAsia Group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes.

Speaking to reporters later, Fernandes said now that AirAsia had opened up the route to Kuantan, there were potentials of making it the airline’s east coast hub.

“We have been looking for an east coast hub and we think the east coast has enormous potential.

“If there is good infrastructure, there is no reason why we cannot sell the whole of the east coast from Kuantan,” he added.

He also said if everything went according to plan, Kuantan would have direct flights to several international destinations such as Singapore, Jakarta and Bangkok.

There was huge demand from Singaporeans to have direct flights from Kuantan to the country, he added.

Fernandes said the airline had already submitted its applications to the Transport Ministry and was now waiting for approval.

I always thought TGG would a better hub since the airport undergoes renovation...but I guess Kuantan was too close to KUL for comfort...just my $0.02...

I think Kuantan has many nice resorts that Singaporeans can unwind at e.g. those in Cherating and even up to Kijal. I hope this new destination will become a winner and additional evening flights introduced. I was on the 1 June flight and there was a memorable moment when the cabin crew walked down to the tarmac and shooked hands with the ground staff to mark the arrival of the first KUL-KUA service. And again (for many times already that I witnessed), the Captain stood at the door the bid passengers his thanks for flying Air Asia. Nice gesture.

I think those "hub everywhere" statements are mere PR statements on ribbon-cutting days. You hear about it at AOR, PEN, etc. but nothing really comes out of it.

On related issue, how is Firefly PEN-KUA doing?

The problem for Kuantan, as well as Ipoh and Malacca is that they near to KL but not too near.

I always thought TGG would a better hub since the airport undergoes renovation...but I guess Kuantan was too close to KUL for comfort...just my $0.02...

Well... I always thought KBR would be a better hub in the east coast. Many people travel through KBR on their way to the islands (e.g. Perhentian). Kota Bharu itself has a lot to offer; batik & silverware shopping, museums, natural attractions and of course food! Plus, Kelantaneses are well-spread all over Malaysia and they have strong roots too (Bro Ewan and Uncle Naim come to mind).

Terengganu not worried about AirAsia hub switch

KUALA TERENGGANU, Wed:

Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said said Terengganu will not be affected by the recent decision by Air Asia naming the Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Airport, Kuantan, as its international hub.

The decision would not affect the Sultan Mahmud Airport's status as a regional airport in future., he said.

"We have a deal with Tabung Haji for 20 '747' flights from here to Mecca and there will be another 15 '747' flights here for the upcoming World Endurance Championship in December.

"We are not worried. The state government is currently negotiating other deals in this aspect," he said, refusing to divulge details about the deals.

Ahmad was speaking to reporters after chairing the weekly Exco meeting here today.

On Tuesday AirAsia Berhad said it planned to operate routes to Singapore, Jakarta and Bangkok from Kuantan.

Proposals for the routes have already been submitted to the Transport Ministry and the airline is awaiting the green light.

OMG, what a cry baby.

"We have a deal with Tabung Haji for 20 '747' flights from here to Mecca and there will be another 15 '747' flights here for the upcoming World Endurance Championship in December.

Mmm... are these not seasonal? A busy airport for a month or two... and then back to the usual small operation. How can this make TGG a HUB?

... Kelantaneses are well-spread all over Malaysia and they have strong roots too (Bro Ewan and Uncle Naim come to mind).

Thanks, but we're sticking to Firefly for SZB-KBR. Can't wait for the new ATR, tho'! :p

I can never fathom why people go all proud over such trivial things. 20 seasonal 747s something to beat your chest about? Macam budak-budak!

Ah well I suppose some people simply are in short supply of grey matter.

KUA / WMKD. A nil-fuel station as a hub? Good luck.

Note: MH used to operate SIN-KUA-SIN in the 90s with the B735.

Thanks, but we're sticking to Firefly for SZB-KBR....

... or clogging the Kelantanese roads with various makes of Hondas come Raya season! :D

Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said said .....

"We have a deal with Tabung Haji for 20 '747' flights from here to Mecca and ....."

Have they informed you yet Captain Nik ? :pardon:

KUA / WMKD. A nil-fuel station as a hub? Good luck.

Note: MH used to operate SIN-KUA-SIN in the 90s with the B735.

That's why Tony said that it will be a hub once or if proper infra is in place...and his definition of infra can include a terminal suitable for his ops, more resorts, better airport transfer options bla bla bla...

(But I'm sure if one need fuel rite now, the TUDM can assist?)

BY CAR

8.00am - depart from my sister house at Indera Mahkota

10.30 am - arrive at Shah Alam

BY AK

8.00 am - depart from home to Kuantan Airport

8.20 am - Check Inn (remember check inn counter close 30minutes before depatures)

8.45 am - ETD

9.25 am - Arrive at KLIA

9.45 am - take ur baggage

for me, if do not want tired better choose AK, but i u have more lot of movement from one

place to other place better use car.

Two and a half hours from Kuantan to Shah Alam would be something like 110-120 km/h. Do-able for new highway but a bit scary for Karak highway from Bentong toll plaza.

BTW, be careful around the interchange to Bukit Tinggi, especially at night. A relative lost control of his car (driving normally) because some criminals purposely poured oil on the road so that accident victims can utilize the services of a tow truck conviniently located within 100 meters of the area. Luckily my relative was not hurt.

Edited by Rozhan

Two and a half hours from Kuantan to Shah Alam would be something like 110-120 km/h. Do-able for new highway but a bit scary for Karak highway from Bentong toll plaza.

Everything else being equal, travel with AK is definitely safer. :D

BY CAR

8.00am - depart from my sister house at Indera Mahkota

BY AK

8.00 am - depart from home to Kuantan Airport

8.20 am - Check Inn (remember check inn counter close 30minutes before depatures)

8.45 am - ETD

9.25 am - Arrive at KLIA

9.45 am - take ur baggage

for me, if do not want tired better choose AK, but i u have more lot of movement from one

place to other place better use car.

Thanks for youre factual timings for the sector KUA - KUL.Let others judge by themselves whether they would take a flight or drive.Personally,Ive driven from KUA to KUL on weekends during my tour of duty in RMAF Kuantan,back then there was no ECE,and the drive was supposed to be 5 hours but we usually do it in 3 .5 hours.Any ways,anybody going to KUA on 27/6/08?I will be the PIC on that flight,doing KUL-KUA-KUL-SIN-KUL,if there is no changes to the roster,it seems the roster is getting to fluid these days at AK and D7.

One trouble about traveling with aircraft is that you'll be without a car at the other end. That's why I almost always drive back to my hometown when taling a flight will be faster and safer. I've tried renting a car at AOR, ends up it is more expensive and I end up with a far less comfortable car.

I think KUA as an east coast hub is possible because KUA is the more developed town in that area compared to TGG and KBR. However with TGG renovations still in progress, it could also be a hub after all. These are all speculations and as mentioned earlier, "ribbon cutting PR statements". I thin TF is also banking on one of these airports, KUA, TGG and KBR to be able to provide a dedicated terminal for their LCC ops like what BKI has done and PEN is working on. If that infrastructure is done, then I can see AK making big committments to one of the airports. However, KUA used to have connections to SIN both by MAS and SILKAIR until early 2001. The reason being, a lot of Singaporeans like the beaches which they lack a lot in their home country, so coming to Tioman is an option or flying further up is a better option with more choices of hotels, nicer food and culture incorporated. So the chance of KUA being a hub in the east coast is still possible but we just have to wait and see, never say never !!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this