MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Airlines with B747-300

Just wondering how many airlines are still flying 747-300?

I can only think of the following:

Thai Airways

Qantas Airways

Japan Airlines

All Nippon Airways (?)

Where do they fly these 747-300s? I am curious to catch one of them before they are gone for good.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but realistically, it is unlikely that I will hop onto Saudi Arabian and Pakistan flights as I am not heading their way.

Oriental Thai is close but a bit dodgy though... :pardon:

Anyone has any knowledge regarding TG, QF and JL B743s?

Air Atlanta still operates them, Still showing on there books are:

TF-AME, AMJ, AMK, ARU, ARS, ATI, ATJ.

Edited by Karlm

Saudi Arabia uses almost all type of 747. I use to see their 743 approaching IAH, sometimes with an 747SP

My dad use to fly on South African and TAAG Angola 743.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

I think MH also got 1 unit. The one that don the "KL - LA" special sticker last time.

Air Atlanta still operates them, Still showing on there books are:

TF-AME, AMJ, AMK, ARU, ARS, ATI, ATJ.

Okay, I suppose I have to wrap myself up and send myself to somewhere....... :fool:

How about KLM ?

IIRC, KLM had already retired them?? Pieter, can you confirm?

Edited by S V Choong

I think MH also got 1 unit. The one that don the "KL - LA" special sticker last time.

MH had i unit :)

9M-MHK now flying as a Dragonair freighter

From 09JUN-03AUG, QF25/26 MEL-AKL-LAX vv is operated by 743 on 1/3/5 - dreamtime cradle style seating in J, no AVOD.

On other days - 332 - skybeds in J and AVOD in Y.

The 743 cabin looks really old. :blink:

Ok for a short flight I suppose...

Edited by Keith T

Thanks for the insight Keith. I have booked my flights on EK...

Have they run out of 744 to send to LAX? I wonder how economical it would be for QF to fly this route using a 743.

Do they use the 743 on domestic flights?

Thanks for the insight Keith. I have booked my flights on EK...

Have they run out of 744 to send to LAX? I wonder how economical it would be for QF to fly this route using a 743.

Do they use the 743 on domestic flights?

They used to (still ??) run 743s on some of the transcons, but they've got 332s to do that now, and soon domestic config 332s.

I suspect that the 744 has been sent to maintenance for the period the 743 is on, but don't quote me on that one. The other 2 class 744s are sent to SIN/FRA and JNB in certain months so I guess AKL/LAX gets sacrificed.

Lots of livid pax on my friends' flight AKL-LAX (and to be fair the change occurred without much notice; quite a long flight for the dreamtime seating too) and i think QF offered a cash voucher to those who complained even though they're under no obligation to comp for eqp chg. The CSM himself was mortified and handed out free bottles of wine in J as onboard comp, but unfortunately lots of people were on connections out of LAX and so couldn't accept the nice gesture due to the 'no liquids' rule.

Edited by Keith T

MH had i unit :)

9M-MHK now flying as a Dragonair freighter

Question for MH aficionados. They bought only ONE 747-300. Why not more?

From 09JUN-03AUG, QF25/26 MEL-AKL-LAX vv is operated by 743 on 1/3/5 - dreamtime cradle style seating in J, no AVOD.

Actually, the 747-300s of QF is not THAT bad if you are not too fussy because their YCL feature the latest seats. Unless you are flying JCL, there is really no need to get your under-garments all knotted up over nothing. Other than the A330-200, the 747-300 do supplement them once a day between MEL and PER.

AFAIK, QF fly these classics between MEL-PER-MEL and SYD-PER-SYD daily in addition to 767s and 737s. And they are known to fly SIN when the normal equipment (A330) go in for maintenance.

There are four 747-300 left with QF: VH-EBV, EBW, EBX and EBY. Can see them in Obs Hill under The World Most Isolated City thread.

Just a short hop away from NZ. =@ :pardon:

Question for MH aficionados. They bought only ONE 747-300. Why not more?

The conservative old timers will probably say it's prudent fleet management :)

The chaps in charge now will likely call it as a joke !

AFAIK, QF fly these classics between MEL-PER-MEL and SYD-PER-SYD daily in addition to 767s and 737s. And they are known to fly SIN when the normal equipment (A330) go in for maintenance.

There are four 747-300 left with QF: VH-EBV, EBW, EBX and EBY. Can see them in Obs Hill under The World Most Isolated City thread.

Just a short hop away from NZ. =@ :pardon:

Thanks! Kianhong

The distance will reduce drastically two weeks later as I will be based in Melbourne. Looks like I will need to visit Perth then.

Actually, the 747-300s of QF is not THAT bad if you are not too fussy because their YCL feature the latest seats. Unless you are flying JCL, there is really no need to get your under-garments all knotted up over nothing. Other than the A330-200, the 747-300 do supplement them once a day between MEL and PER.

Do you mean the Yuckky green seats at Y? I don't think 743 Y seats have PTVs, correct?

Does anyone has any knowledge on whereabouts do TG sends their B747-300s to? Do they fly on domestic routes?

The conservative old timers will probably say it's prudent fleet management

The chaps in charge now will likely call it as a joke !

BC, in addition to that.... two different engine types for the classic.... Rolls RB211 for the two 747-236Bs and PW JT9D for the sole 747-3H6 Combi....

Edited by S V Choong

I was referring to JCL. Thankfully trans tasman availability is aplenty so pretty easy to change dates.

Do you mean the Yuckky green seats at Y? I don't think 743 Y seats have PTVs, correct?

They do have PTVs but non-AVOD.

No not the green whY seats. It's exactly the same as 744s in whY. Not sure if they have new seat covers so it'd be either blue (unrefurbished) or salmon (refurbished) in whY.

Still, nicer than the intl 767s they run to HNL, MNL and CGK.

Edited by Keith T

.... two different engine types for the classic.... Rolls RB211 for the two 747-236Bs and PW JT9D for the sole 747-3H6 Combi....

Uh huh - another story there too :)

How about Garuda Indonesia?

Do they still have any 747-300 left? (Don't think so....)

By the way, sorry to say, Indonesian airlines are a bit risky to fly these days. I won't fly with them until they have shown signs of positive safety standards.

Edited by S V Choong

Looks as though I will be flying on one of these 743's in JUL on the MEL-AKL-LAX route and back.

I am actually looking forward to going back on one as it has been 11 years scince my last flight on 743 (VH-EBU), and would probably be my last scince they will be leaving the fleet soon.

I think Phuket Air still has her B743s standing around doing nothing. Some of her B742s are leased to Saudi Arabian.

KC Sim

Not many airline nowadays still operating the 743

TAAG Angola will be phasing it out soon and replace with 772

South African, Saudi Arabia, Qantas, Surinam, Transaero and JAL are some of the few that still operates them. If I'm not mistaken, Air India is also still using it

Sign in to follow this