MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

MAS Entry Into SkyTeam

Aeroflot join the Skyteam this April.............................

Mh will join this ????????................................

SU will join on 14APR06, after a long period (about 2 years of negotiations/updates/upgrades)

CZ will be next (this Fall)

MH ???

Good news

From The Edge

MAS gets agreement in-principle to form alliance with KLM

By Alfean Hardy

Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) has received an agreement in-principle from KLM-Air France to expand their code-sharing agreement into an alliance, says MAS's managing director Idris Jala.

He said they already have a successful code-sharing agreement and KLM had agreed in-principle to expand it into an alliance. However, he did not say when the alliance may be formalised.

MAS had been in talks with KLM to expand their code-sharing agreement into an alliance before the latter was taken over by Air France in 2003.

Idris said apart from KLM, MAS also looking at increasing bilateral code-sharing agreements and joining alliances with others, though it may be tough to do so at this late stage.

Alliances will allow MAS to build on other airlines' extensive networks and enhance its reach globally.

Pieter, a question for you.... How long has MAS been in partnership with KLM? I remember flipping thru my 1995 MAS brochure and saw MAS with KLM in partnership offering New Zealand residents some good routing to explore Europe and North America as well.

Looks like MAS and KLM are enjoying this long term partnership! Good for them. Hopefully KLM will take MAS into Sky Team.

Edited by S V Choong

Good news

Not really sure about the process for ST, but the next step would be getting unanimous agreement from all existing members for MH to be a full member - then signing an MOU wouldn't it? After that MH will have to train its staff to offer ST products/benefits, align its systems to ST's etc etc before becoming a full member.

Hmmm... this is probably the first piece of good news concerning MAS for the past couple months. Finally this might bring things around. But what does this mean for MH, more codeshares on its flights to OZ/NZ, and easier transfers for passengers enroute to the US and europe.

But with MH in such a precarious position right now, im hoping this is the trigger that kickstarts MH rise into the black

Not really sure about the process for ST, but the next step would be getting unanimous agreement from all existing members for MH to be a full member

Keith,

unanimous could still be a problem !!! :o

Keith,

unanimous could still be a problem !!! :o

Well hence I think it is tactically smart of MH to work the numbers by entering into negotiations with the carrier most likely to block its entry AND with arguably the most clout in the alliance, AF (and by extension KL). Now that AF and KL, the symbolic headkickers of ST, have signalled in principle support to MH's entry, presumably with some deals struck behind the scenes, MH can have an easier time with getting support from the other ST members.

The only carriers that would feel threatened by MH's entry would be AF (due to competition on the CDG route) and to a lesser extent KE. And now AF has come onboard so that's threat number 1 gone. Even then MH would not pose a direct threat to KE who could/should be easily appeased by being offerred some lucrative codeshare deals to the US, made even sweeter if its indeed true that MH intends to drop North America totally, ala AF/QF Australia-SIN-CDG.

Rule number 1 in the game of negotiations - know thy enemy, set thy bar high! :) The more cynical would argue love thy enemies, use thy friends... I'm not a (student) politician for nothing you know. ;)

Edited by Keith T

KLM can help Mas into SkyTeam right???

Is Idris Jala still in Paris...Any latest news between Mas n Air France???

MAS forges alliance with Air France KLM

By sabry tahir

SEPANG: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has received Air France KLM's nod to upgrade their code-sharing agreement into an alliance, MAS managing director Idris Jala said.

However, he said no timeframe had been set for the alliance.

“We are also working towards improving bilateral code-sharing agreements and joining alliances with other airlines,†Jala said after the launch of the upgraded Animal Hotel at the KL International Airport yesterday.

Jala is believed to have met top executives of Air France KLM earlier this month to seek support for the national carrier's entry into the SkyTeam group, one of the three main global air alliances, which has a network of 684 destinations in 133 countries. MAS, which posted a net loss of RM1.26bil for the nine months to Dec 31, 2005, is the only regional airline that has yet to enter any global alliance.

On AirAsia's plan to acquire some MAS assets, including a number of aircraft, Jala said MAS would have a free hand to fully decide on its business operations, the network, the routes and even the restructuring of its domestic operations, once the MAS-AirAsia route restructuring is completed next year.

Idris Jala (foreground) accompanies Tengku azlan Abu Bakar (right) to the Animal Hotel.

Meanwhile, MAS' cargo arm, Malaysia Airlines Cargo Sdn Bhd (MASkargo), has turned its Animal Hotel at the KLIA into one of the world's three 6-star animal hotels.

The airline invested RM15mil to build and launch the hotel – the only animal hotel in Asia – in 1998. From a hub for staging and delivery of animal shipment, the hotel has evolved into a one-stop centre for activities such as import and transhipment of animals, ranging from horses to sharks.

“We take anything except protected animals,†said MASkargo senior general manager Datuk J.J. Ong.

The new facilities at the hotel include an animal spa and jacuzzi, aromatic bath, air-conditioned rooms and spacious play areas for cats and dogs. (See also Page 3)

Waht's Up: INXS at MAS

Malaysia Airlines’s CEO, Idris Jala, may be tightening, clamping and reducing in all areas of airline operations, worldwide, but his dragnet – drag-Net (jala, get it?) – is more a sieve with holes a little too wide; at home in Malaysia of all places.

In London for a week to sometimes freeze but principally to attend a charity gala dinner, I chanced to hob nob with Malaysian madams who could afford the £300 (about RM2,000) dinner PLUS return airfare.

That’s anywhere between RM3,820 for regular economy, and RM19,922 for Business Class, on our national carrier.

One lady with strong purchasing power though not necessarily devoted to paying for airline tickets, asked me: “Eh Wahts, you going home business or economy?”

“EY lah. Where can afford business,” this kind of language was going on while His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco was in the room, chatting with Her Royal Highness the Countess of Wessex.

“Why?” I asked.

“I shopped too much-lah. Now got excess baggage. Was hoping to tumpang your baggage allowance,” said the lady.

I wanted to tell her to dream on but I paused, not wanting to be rude. “Dream on,” I said finally. “I’m all shopped out too. But didn’t you come on business?” I was wondering.

Now this is where Idris Jala should be paying attention. Said lady replied: “From KL, I got a free upgrade to business but here I don’t know anyone,” by which she meant she didn’t know anyone in MAS. Generally, this means that her contact in KL is not ranked highly enough to give orders to London.

Make no mistake, I think the world of Malaysia Airlines. I’ve always been proud of our national flag bearer.

But what’s going on now?

MAS let out inside jokes and brought to public attention speculation about its chairman.

No chairman is without his whims but to accuse the present one of travelling to London three times a week?

While it is physically possible to do so with MAS’s flight frequency, the guy would die from jet-lag and fatigue at week’s end, if the airline food hasn’t already finished him off by the second trip.

Yet, the smaller people are getting away with peddling upgrades?

Here’s another surprise, surprise. Little Wahts Up also got an upgrade to LHR (that’s London Heathrow in airline lingo) but I had to “make compensation” although who to, I cannot reveal. And no, I didn’t know anyone in London either.

In fact, I SO don’t know anyone in London that my 42kg excess baggage was held back. Marie Boudain who attended to me at the Malaysia Airlines check-in counter was gracious, sympathetic and French but she had rules to follow and with an understanding smile, she said she had to charge me an extra one thousand three hundred something pounds sterling. That’s RM8,385 for God’s sake! I’d do well to just buy a one-way business class ticket.

My alternatives were to leave the bags behind, or to send them home possibly a week late, by air cargo. So how come the excess baggage cargo service only charged me about £7 per kg? As opposed to MAS’s £30, or thereabouts?

China Airlines cargo ended up getting my baggage business.

I laud the British employees and ground service staff for adhering strictly to company guidelines. It is when the Malaysian masters assume charge that policies go to pot. At the Golden Club Class check-in counter manned by white folk, I saw two distinguished-looking Malaysian gentlemen stranded with excess baggage.

Sadly, I also saw one man being reverently ushered to the aircraft by a few airline officials, his entourage behind and around him meekly wheeling their hand luggage, all taking full advantage of the notable’s

man, about bloody time!

still wished it was OW instead though

I really like if MH join SkyTeam, they can be stronger there:-

Aer Lingus, BA, IB, Finnair-Europe(which MH needs)

Lan-South American(connection from EZE) or fly to Santiago

AA- Strong North America and Central America market

Qantas-Pacific

CX-Asia

Well, if SkyTeaam don't want MAS, I guess OneWorld will take MH as "änak angkat" :)

OMG.......Really????

If MH were accepted as the newest member of Skyteam,it will be the major achievement in MH history!Love to see the Skyteam logo on all MH fleet :lol:

OMG.......Really????

If MH were accepted as the newest member of Skyteam,it will be the major achievement in MH history!Love to see the Skyteam logo on all MH fleet :lol:

me too, especially when MH is in one alliance with CO.

Azuddin

After the join of MH, will the codeshare flights with Cathay Pacific be discontinued?

Or the flight to HKG will be increased to connect with CO?

MH needs Skyteam more than vv.

Yes, you may say so.

MH is comparatively needing Skyteam more.

However, MH is the only operator based in the SE Asia.

So, the team can also be benefited with the penetration in the area. :lol: :)

After the join of MH, will the codeshare flights with Cathay Pacific be discontinued?

Code-share flights do NOT necessarily cease when joining an Alliance...

Code-share flights do NOT necessarily cease when joining an Alliance...

:p , thanks for informing.

However, there are some case on *A that once the airline is going to join with *A,

codeshare relatetionship breaks.

Or I have got an wrong idea on the breaking action?

Sneeze,

It could be a Star-Alliance prerequisite...depends on the Alliance, though...

where did u get that idea lam?

for example - lauda air (austrian) codeshares with MH on the VIE-KUL-SYD route. when they joined star alliance, the codeshare with MH still remains.

AF codeshare with QF on the SIN-Ozzie routes, even though they are from rival alliances.

It should not be a problem for MH to codeshare with other airlines

where did u get that idea lam?

for example - lauda air (austrian) codeshares with MH on the VIE-KUL-SYD route. when they joined star alliance, the codeshare with MH still remains.

AF codeshare with QF on the SIN-Ozzie routes, even though they are from rival alliances.

It should not be a problem for MH to codeshare with other airlines

before SA join *A, it codeshared with CX for the JNB flight.

However, the flight was no more codeshared before the SA join *A.

and now the flight of SA of HKG/JNB is codeshared with OZ, another *A member.

I have to memtion again, I really not know with the exact reason.

It is all upon my own stupid mind thinking.

;) :p

I thought when an airline join alliance, all their flights are codeshare(sponsor or whatever).....like skyteam, flight from IAH to NRT also behalf of all skyteam cuz last time I flew, the FA say something like this...."Continental Airlines, Copa Airlines and SkyTeam airlines members would like to welcome you onboard on journey to LA". Maybe they just promoting ST. :) cuz when I flew MH, they also say something like this "Malaysia Airlines and Air India ........" in three different languages :o