MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

MAS Entry Into SkyTeam

Malaysia Seeks entry into SkyTeam

This is truly malaysian :p , I just so happy now......very happy, I can use my Continental OnePass travelling to Malaysia now(after they sign the alliance thingy :D )....MH also will have big oppurtunities to connect almost everywhere from other skyteam countries

HAPPY HOUR :)

Good way to enter "profit world" ;)

IPB Image

Edited by Seth K

Let pray and hope everything goes well...

Great news indeed!! :D

Thanks for the news seth and Kee Hooi Yen...This is good news indeed..Hopefully they get in..

“While MAS may now be keen to become a member of SkyTeam, it is a question of whether SkyTeam welcomes MAS and that is what Jala is about to find out when he meets Air France's top executives,”
As quoted from the Star,

It is ridiculous that someone make a statement like that. SkyTeam needs MH for Asian routes.............MH is their Asian power :) of course MAS is welcome :)

MH will indeed go stronger after alliance with CO. just today i received the news that CO has been ranked as no1 global airline by fortune magazine.

oag.com has ranked CO for airline of the year (2005) award.

they also got best US based airline

also awarded as best business class

some related links

OAG - airline of the year

Yahoo news

There's no doubt about it, I always impress with services provided by CO including friendly crews, clean and good condition aircraft and good services.

("Work Hard, Fly Right")

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

With the emphasis of the hub and spokes model, I could conceivably see MH flying to only 3 cities in Europe if its membership is approved - AMS (KL hub), CDG (AF hub) and LHR (high loads). The other cities could be reached by codesharing through AMS or CDG, or even through KE at ICN.

Looks like negotiations between BA and MH didn't come to anything as expected...:(

MH will indeed go stronger after alliance with CO. just today i received the news that CO has been ranked as no1 global airline by fortune magazine.

oag.com has ranked CO for airline of the year (2005) award.

they also got best US based airline

also awarded as best business class

some related links

OAG - airline of the year

Yahoo news

There's no doubt about it, I always impress with services provided by CO including friendly crews, clean and good condition aircraft and good services.

("Work Hard, Fly Right")

Azuddin

Ehh... that's pretty dubious. How can CO be better than the likes of CX, SQ, MH etc..:S Maybe best US-based carrier, but certainly not Airline of the Year or best business class.

Edited by Keith T

if this joining really happen, we will se

-MH fleet with Skyteam logo

-Any frquent flyer, onepass, flying blue or any other from skyteam members will be valid to use with MH

we maybe see (hard to happen)

-Multiple flight to EWR

-MH KUL-IAH

-CO IAH-KUL (both maybe through ICN)

-MH uses GE-90 powered T7

Azuddin

Azuddin,

IAH-KUL will never ever being consider by anyone from either MH or CO sides or any airlines that we can think of. IAH is not a major hub like LAX or New York airports(LGA, JFK or EWR), plus connections can be easily made through CO EWR base. May be we can see CO pull out ARN from their summer schedule when MH joining the team where MH can fly to EWR from ARN with less competition. MH also will make a great connections between Europe and Asia/Australia. Less can see from North America directly to Australia because people rather go thru ICN because it will be one stop instead of two stops thru KUL(Qantas can also put SkyTeam in jeopardy as they have direct flights). Yet we may see MH will grow strong in Asia. I predict more flights from HKG and NRT since CO and DL fly there and MH just simply connect the passengers to their final destinations.

On the other bright side, Enrich will be much valuable than just a card with SkyTeam printed top right :)

:) IPB ImageIPB Image :)

i tot they going to join Skyteam after the 3 years of "Reborn"?

The process of joining itself can take much longer than that. SA's application to join Star was approved by the alliance back in 2004 but until 8th April 2006 SA is not an official Star carrier, only a pending member, and is hence unable to offer Star services/benefits. And that's only the time between approval to actually becoming a member. In MH's case it has yet to complete the initial stages like signing an MOU. Negotiations can take up to quite a few months as they need unanimous agreement from all full members.

Edited by Keith T

With the emphasis of the hub and spokes model, I could conceivably see MH flying to only 3 cities in Europe if its membership is approved - AMS (KL hub), CDG (AF hub) and LHR (high loads). The other cities could be reached by codesharing through AMS or CDG, or even through KE at ICN.

-Multiple flight to EWR

-MH KUL-IAH

-CO IAH-KUL (both maybe through ICN)

-MH uses GE-90 powered T7

Azuddin,

Like Keith has said, they'll channel lot's of passangers thru AMS and CDG on their way to EWR and IAH; I don't think you'll see MH at the EWR station any longer in the future. Weren't they gonna stop LAX either ? in that case, it will be KE via SEL...

Don't think MH will re-engine their 777's to GE90's...

Anyhow, I'm very happy also that AF will be the supporter of MH into Skyteam: apparently, their biggest "enemy" in Skyteam became their biggest "friend" now :)

Looks like negotiations between BA and MH didn't come to anything as expected...:(

:o

What about FRA ? Are they doing badly on that route ? Unprofitable perhaps ?

AMS, LHR and CDG sounds good but it will be sad to see the other cities go but we may see AF & CO start

flights into KUL and KL increase frequencies to KUL from AMS. Good news if thats the case !!!!

Keith,

What negotiations were there between MH and BA ? What was the objective laa ?

:p

It is ridiculous that someone make a statement like that.

Not ridiculous at all, it is true. AF and KL are major player of Skyteam and we might have to bribe Pieter for help :)

I thought China Southern is also keen to join Skyteam, obviously their application is pending at the moment.

What will we see....... a reduced frequency of flights out of KL and major codeshares??

Anyhow, I'm very happy also that AF will be the supporter of MH into Skyteam: apparently, their biggest "enemy" in Skyteam became their biggest "friend" now :)

yeah, i heard about that before. i heard that AF is the big blocker, seems now AF is the supporter.

Azuddin

Here is a quote from somebody at A.net, worth a laugh at :D :D :D

New slogan for Skyteam: "A global network of Bankruptcy."

New Bankrupteam: Delta, Northwest, Alitalia, and soon MAS

how do i know AF now become teh biggest "supporter" as oppse used to be a blocker for MH????

now that's evil

MW, a.net showdown anyone :D :D

Azuddin

I thought that name belonged to Star. UA, US, Varig, etc

Azuddin,

IAH-KUL will never ever being consider by anyone from either MH or CO sides or any airlines that we can think of. IAH is not a major hub like LAX or New York airports(LGA, JFK or EWR), plus connections can be easily made through CO EWR base. May be we can see CO pull out ARN from their summer schedule when MH joining the team where MH can fly to EWR from ARN with less competition. MH also will make a great connections between Europe and Asia/Australia. Less can see from North America directly to Australia because people rather go thru ICN because it will be one stop instead of two stops thru KUL(Qantas can also put SkyTeam in jeopardy as they have direct flights). Yet we may see MH will grow strong in Asia. I predict more flights from HKG and NRT since CO and DL fly there and MH just simply connect the passengers to their final destinations.

On the other bright side, Enrich will be much valuable than just a card with SkyTeam printed top right :)

:) IPB ImageIPB Image :)

Hopefully they'll revamp Enrich too - with the program the way it is, the (near) impossibility of earning Gold or Platinum unless one flies only in First and Business, frequent MH flyers in economy aside from the occassional business class flight may just have to defect and put their miles onto another ST member's FFP to ensure they get access to ST elite benefits. Just like QF frequent flyers who put all their miles to AA, or SQ to UA. The benefit of an alliance - more choice in choosing an FFP. *ahem*

Edited by Keith T

Dang ... and I've been piling my mileages with Star Alliance! :(

.ny

If you have Star Alliance Gold status you can always ask one of the ST airlines for a status match. The American carriers are rather generous with this. And you can then start putting miles to ur chosen ST program and access ST benefits when flying MH, like access to the MH Lounge in KUL. :D If you fly very frequently you might even have enough EQMs a year to maintain status on both programs. :) I'd advise choosing a program which doesn't have expiry dates for redeemable miles (so long as you fly once every 3 yrs anyway) so that you can take as long as you like to pile ur way to a RTW ticket in F. :D

Edited by Keith T

woooo hoooo! come on AF, don't be a party pooper!

this is indeed good news....as opposed to the previous board that were only interested in lining their pockets and making enemies of all airlines (e.g. QF, BA, NW, AF).....now we have idris jala who is trying to gain AF's support for our application.

good news indeed... watch this space!

..... happy also that AF will be the supporter of MH into Skyteam: apparently, their biggest "enemy" in Skyteam became their biggest "friend" now :)

Steady on Pieter, what I read was Mr Jala will "..... seek support for the national carrier's entry into the SkyTeam global alliance ....." Is there some other statement out there reading otherwise ?

'Seeking support' could also mean MH trying to convince AF to withdraw their objection (if indeed AF is objecting) to MH's entry into the alliance

Overall, nice gesture on the part of MH to finally move in one of the directions most widely prescribed by our members here !!

Overall, nice gesture on the part of MH to finally move in one of the directions most widely prescribed by our members here !!

Just a personal opinion. I am still a bit skeptical about joining an alliance being one of the ways for MAS to survive or to take off in blue again. Executive decision as this could make or break an airline.