MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

MAS Entry Into SkyTeam

Great news for MH, finally in an alliance.

Congratulations!

Feels like SkyTeam has lost a good opportunity here.

Yes, agree. Star Alliance and oneworld speeds ahead; SkyTeam is the big loser in the race. Well, we still have Philippines Airlines and Royal Brunei Airlines.... :p

800px-AirlineMarketShareWithinRegion.gif

oneworld dominates the Southern Hemisphere having leading position in both South America and Oceania. However, with Aviance- TACA and Copa joining Star Alliance, Star Alliance may give oneworld some competitive race in South America.

Star Alliance dominates Africa, Europe and Asia in general. More to come with Ethiopia Airlines coming onboard. For India, Star Alliance made it very clear they want both Air India and Jet Airways.

SkyTeam dominates only North America market. All set to change with KE, CI, MU and CZ dominating East Asia market. Middle East Airlines and Saudi Arabia Airlines boasting its presence in ME which it doesn't have any presence currently.

Three big potential markets: South America, Middle East and Africa.

Main players in SEA's market:

• MH: oneworld! :yahoo:
  • SQ and TG: Star Alliance! :good:
  • GA and VN: SkyTeam! :clapping:

2011 aviation has been very interesting thus far: SQ new long haul LCC, new alliance, 787 finally enters service (fingers crossed!!), Paris Le Bourget Airshow, FY's aggressive expansion, new MH A330 and 738, KE's A380....the list goes on. This is despite the high oil price....and we are just six months into 2011. Whats next for upcoming six months??

Edited by JuliusWong

So much for MH and SkyTeam. Wonder what KLM thinks of this lol.

Sofar no changes in the code-share MH-KL between AMS-KUL v.v.

It might change, though, in the future, esp. to the Australian/New-Zealand markets; I wouldn't be surprised, it will switch to GA via CGK...

Although MH has announced to operate the A380 to AMS, I doubt there will be sufficient market once KLM withdraws the code-share; nowadays, more than 50% on MH017 has been sold as KL code-share, with quite a few passengers continuing to New-Zealand and/or Australia...

Sofar no changes in the code-share MH-KL between AMS-KUL v.v.

It might change, though, in the future, esp. to the Australian/New-Zealand markets; I wouldn't be surprised, it will switch to GA via CGK...

Although MH has announced to operate the A380 to AMS, I doubt there will be sufficient market once KLM withdraws the code-share; nowadays, more than 50% on MH017 has been sold as KL code-share, with quite a few passengers continuing to New-Zealand and/or Australia...

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing Uncle Pieter!

It sounds like there could be a detrimental effect to MH joining the alliance if none of the other major players on the Kangaroo Route commence services to KUL. In the short term, there will be codeshares. I'd love to see a QF code on MH flights to AMS - somewhere that's currently being served only via LHR. But for the alliance to work for MH, I think one of the other majors on the Kangaroo route should re-commence services to KUL. People don't think of codeshares when they book flights when the marketing carrier doesn't at least fly part of the route.

Also, on the North American side of the equation, the extra feed from AA at LAX should help MH's North American ops. Can't remember if MH still flies EWR but I don't think AA has much of a presence at EWR.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing Uncle Pieter!

It sounds like there could be a detrimental effect to MH joining the alliance if none of the other major players on the Kangaroo Route commence services to KUL. In the short term, there will be codeshares. I'd love to see a QF code on MH flights to AMS - somewhere that's currently being served only via LHR. But for the alliance to work for MH, I think one of the other majors on the Kangaroo route should re-commence services to KUL. People don't think of codeshares when they book flights when the marketing carrier doesn't at least fly part of the route.

Also, on the North American side of the equation, the extra feed from AA at LAX should help MH's North American ops. Can't remember if MH still flies EWR but I don't think AA has much of a presence at EWR.

MH only flies to LAX.....they have cut all other ruotes in North America n if u include South America, they only fly to Argentina....