MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
davy

Spotting at Manila

Hello,

This is my first post here. Love this forum. Specially nice to find out a lot of information about spotting at KLIA, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu

I will visit Kl in June and July. First we stay one night before we catch our flight to Clark Phillipines. After a visit we fly over to Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and back to KLIA. I would like to spend some time on the airports around. For the Malaysian airports I found a lot of information, thanks :clapping: For Manila I can find less information. I found out that there is a interresting maintenance area at Manila with lots of old and stored planes around. Does somebody know if there are possibilities to make pics at Manila maintenance? We dont have a car, so can you get there by public transport / walking. Further I am looking for information about good and safe places to go and make pictures at this airport. Thanks :rolleyes:

Davy from The Netherlands

Hello,

This is my first post here. Love this forum. Specially nice to find out a lot of information about spotting at KLIA, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu

I will visit Kl in June and July. First we stay one night before we catch our flight to Clark Phillipines. After a visit we fly over to Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and back to KLIA. I would like to spend some time on the airports around. For the Malaysian airports I found a lot of information, thanks :clapping: For Manila I can find less information. I found out that there is a interresting maintenance area at Manila with lots of old and stored planes around. Does somebody know if there are possibilities to make pics at Manila maintenance? We dont have a car, so can you get there by public transport / walking. Further I am looking for information about good and safe places to go and make pictures at this airport. Thanks :rolleyes:

Davy from The Netherlands

Hi Davy,

I have been going in and out of Manila airport on a monthly basis.In my very short time there,I did ask around about where we can spot planes,however not much info there.The airport is surrounded by roads with heavy traffic and squatters area.I dont think its really safe to be hanging around by the airfield perimeter with your camera as I think there are chances of you getting mugged.Unless you know a local,that might help.Public tranportation,the only reliable ones would be taxis.I took a lot of plane shots in Manila,but mostly on the apron and while taxiing(I am a fltdeck crew),however,inside the international terminal,after you pass immigration,go and find a place called Hari Raya Cafe.Its one level up.Order a drink and you can hangout there and have a good view of runways 06/24.I manage to get a lot of good shots there as the glass are not heavily tinted.Try it.

About getting to the maintenance area,I have no idea.I do see a couple of DC3s parked at Cebu Pacific apron.Check it out.

Hi Davy,

Hi,

thanks for your information. Will try to find out if there are possibilities to get on the ramp. Maybe I can contact airport autorities. I will see. Thank you in advance,

cheers davy

Well, i suggest you check with a "philippine" forum.

The only one i know is www.philskies.net/forum

Although it is mainly targeted on flightsim they are always helpful to give advice/help (they don´t stick to flightsim only) !

(Members are private and professional pilots as well as enthusiasts)

Edited by Juergen Witte

Hi Davy,

All I would really suggest is be careful. I spent some time spotting from the access ramp to the PAL terminal without any hassle. I then moved to between the Int'l terminal and the PAL terminal so that I could see more of the runway activity. I was there for abouts 30 minutes before being approached by the police. I was then taken to the office for about 30 minutes of polite questioning about what I was doing. Luckily I wasn't taking any photos as this was their main concern, however they didn't really understand spotting :pardon:

After that I walked the perimeter of the airport and did see a few glimpses of aircraft in the domestic area, but nothing close to the numbers that is actually in there. The place is surrounded by high concrete walls!

Continuing around you eventually come to the shiny new terminal which was built years ago, but still remains unused. Near here is the military base entrance with a nice "museum" area of preserved aircraft. A quick "hello" at the gate will give you access to this, and they don't mind photographs either!! The walk was good exercise :rolleyes:

As mentioned the airside cafe in the international terminal is about as good as it gets.

Despite the attraction of the local traffic I have never returned........

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve

Hello Davy!

MNL is actually a great place for spotting. I've been there once. Near the Airport, there's a village (I couldn't recall the name). You can get some pretty exciting actions there. You need a local to guide you there though. As mentioned by others, please be careful. There are a lot of squatters in that area.

See the red circle:

mnley6.jpg

Besides, it's also worthwhile to visit the Aerospace Museum of the Philippine Air Force. It's pretty new, opened in June 2007.

Just a quick question, is MNL operating under single runway? (but I saw two runways in the pic O.o )

Thanks for the info,

Shall be carefull. We booked a hotel near the airport, so we have some time to go around. Would like to visit the museum. good to hear, photograph is allowed :D Would be great to make some Philippine airliners... One thing I`m for sure, we are going to enjoy our trip to this beautiful country B) B)

Thanks again

Davy

Hello Davy!

MNL is actually a great place for spotting. I've been there once. Near the Airport, there's a village (I couldn't recall the name). You can get some pretty exciting actions there. You need a local to guide you there though. As mentioned by others, please be careful. There are a lot of squatters in that area.

See the red circle:

mnley6.jpg

Besides, it's also worthwhile to visit the Aerospace Museum of the Philippine Air Force. It's pretty new, opened in June 2007.

Just a quick question, is MNL operating under single runway? (but I saw two runways in the pic O.o )

Both runway are in operation at the same time..the shorter rwy 13/31 is normally for GA and regional traffic...

Sign in to follow this