MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

AK X to London, RM1200 return in Y

Just found out that if you book KUL-STN roundtrip, the STN-KUL leg is priced at RM821 (RM499 plus tax) - as Edwin's post #50. However, if you book the return leg separately, you will see that the price is quoted in GBP at GBP99 (GBP41 plus tax). Based on today's GBP/RM exchange rate, that's approx RM550, a saving of approx RM270! ;)

AKX_STN1.jpg

So it works out cheaper if you book a return trip as two one ways! The base fare becomes approx RM1100+!

Edited by H C Chai

I tried to make some mock booking too and here are the outcomes:

D7London5.jpg

Apparently the MYR 499/GBP 99 seats were all sold out within minutes after the booking was opened. In the mock booking I made, I also included the check-in bags and meals in both outbound and inbound journey. I wonder how expensive the foods will be on the BOB menu.

As a comparison, here is what MH charges on the same dates:

D7London4.jpg

Just see how enormous the difference is. One can get 2 people flying on D7 with an extra MYR 934 to spend on other things with MH price.

Based on historical facts, everytime D7/AK launched a new destination, MH will fight back by offering massive discounts on their affected destinations. It happened with PVG (as D7 serve the nearby HGH), BNE (as D7 serve the nearby OOL), PER and MEL. So I think it is worth checking MH's website from time to time, who knows, the prices for a KUL-LHR-KUL sectors will drastically decrease. MH is in desperate time indeed. Someone messed around with their flagship route!

Wow - so fast got people filling up the seats, as shown in the seat map! :D

It will be interesting to see how MH will tackle this onslaught. Even the XL seats are cheaper than MH Y.

Eh Azalina, nak increase frequency lagi ke? :yahoo: :yahoo: :blink:

Edited by Edwin P K

That is indeed a wiser way H C Chai.

KUL-STN = MYR 646

D7London6.jpg

STN-KUL = GBP 99 (MYR 540)

Total = MYR 1,186 return all inclusive (except for meals, confort kit, check-in luggage, IFE? [oh my hahaha])

I find it a bit of a drawback to the AirAsia management. Airfare is usually cheaper if it is booked as a return ticket as compared to one way. But it is not the case for AirAsia it seems. Good for us consumers though.

Eh Azalina, nak increase frequency lagi ke?

I had the biggest laugh of the day with that one. Clearly she is aviation illiterate.

STN-KUL = GBP 99 (MYR 540)

Total = MYR 1,186 return all inclusive (except for meals, confort kit, check-in luggage, IFE? [oh my hahaha])

I find it a bit of a drawback to the AirAsia management. Airfare is usually cheaper if it is booked as a return ticket as compared to one way. But it is not the case for AirAsia it seems. Good for us consumers though.

I think the reason why the fare advertised FROM UK is cheaper than fare from KL, is to entice the Britons to try AirAsia X. This is similar when they launch Gold Coast-KL, only $99 dollars from Australia-KL, (cheaper than flying KL-Australia at that time), and we have not seen this price ever since.

Wow, this is extremely good news for all the students in UK and even Europe!

What are the major airlines that operate in STN?

Scheduled Service in STN

Aegan Airlines

Athens

AirAsia X

Kuala Lumpur [begins 9 March 2009]

Air Berlin

Düsseldorf, Hanover, Münster/Osnabrück, Nürnberg, Paderborn/Lippstadt

Air Malta

Malta

Air Moldova

Chişinău

Air Sylhet

Dubai, Vienna

Atlantic Airways

Faroe Islands

Albanian Airlines

Tirana

Aurigny Air Services

Guernsey

Blue Air

Brussels, Bucharest-Baneasa

Cyprus Airways

Larnaca

Cyprus Turkish Airlines

Antalya, Dalaman, Gazientep, Izmir, Lefkoşa

easyJet

Alicante, Amsterdam, Asturias, Barcelona, Belfast-International, Bilbao, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Faro, Funchal, Geneva, Glasgow-International, Ibiza, Ljubljana, Lyon, Málaga, Munich, Naples, Newcastle, Nice, Palma de Mallorca, Prague, Tallinn

Eastern Airways

Manchester [ends 28 November]

El Al Israel Airlines

Tel Aviv

Germanwings

Cologne/Bonn, Stuttgart

Iceland Express

Reykjavik-Keflavik [ends 14 May 2009]

Norwegian Air Shuttle

Oslo-Gardermoen, Tromsø, Trondheim

Pegasus Airlines

Istanbul-Sabiha Gökçen, Lefkoşa

Ryanair

Aarhus, Agadir [begins 20 November], Alghero, Alicante, Almeria, Altenburg, Ancona, Angouleme, Balaton [starts 31st March], Bari, Basel/Mulhouse [begins 21 December], Belfast-City, Bergerac, Berlin-Schönefeld, Béziers, Biarritz, Billund, Bologna, Bratislava, Bremen, Brescia, Brindisi, Brno, Bydgoszcz, Carcassonne, Cork, Cuneo [begins 20 December], Derry, Dinard, Dublin, Eindhoven, Faro, Frankfurt-Hahn, Friedrichshafen, Fuerteventura, Gdańsk, Genoa, Girona, Glasgow-Prestwick, Gothenburg-City, Granada, Graz, Grenoble, Haugesund, Ibiza, Jerez, Karlsruhe, Katowice, Kaunas, Kerry, Klagenfurt, Knock, Kraków, Lamezia-Terme, La Rochelle, Limoges, Linz, Łódź, Lourdes [begins 20 December], Lübeck, Madrid, Malaga, Marseille, Milan-Bergamo, Montpellier, Murcia, Nantes, Newquay, Oslo-Torp, Palermo, Palma de Mallorca, Parma, Pau, Perpignan, Perugia, Pescara, Pisa, Poitiers, Porto, Poznan, Pula, Reus, Riga, Rimini, Rodez-Marcillac, Rome-Ciampino, Rzeszów, Salzburg, Santander, Santiago de Compostela, Seville, Shannon, Stockholm-Skavsta, Stockholm-Vasteras, Szczecin, Tampere, Tenerife-South, Toulon [seasonal], Tours, Trieste, Turin, Valencia, Valladolid, Venice-Treviso, Weeze, Wrocław, Zadar, Zaragoza, Zweibrücken

Turkish Airlines

Istanbul-Ataturk

What are the major airlines that operate in STN?

LCC like Ryanair, Easyjet, SkyEurope...

Transavia.com just restarted to LTN btw :pardon:

Just found out that if you book KUL-STN roundtrip, the STN-KUL leg is priced at RM821 (RM499 plus tax) - as Edwin's post #50. However, if you book the return leg separately, you will see that the price is quoted in GBP at GBP99 (GBP41 plus tax). Based on today's GBP/RM exchange rate, that's approx RM550, a saving of approx RM270! ;)

AKX_STN1.jpg

So it works out cheaper if you book a return trip as two one ways! The base fare becomes approx RM1100+!

Man, u R smart!! Didnt think of that....so smart leh u...how come ar??? Cheaper??? Hehehe! But its so true...it is cheaper...

Man, u R smart!! Didnt think of that....so smart leh u...how come ar??? Cheaper??? Hehehe! But its so true...it is cheaper...

Probably due to the fact the GBP is cheaper to us now?

It was like 1GBP to 7MYR not too long ago, now according to Google it's 5.5.

Probably due to the fact the GBP is cheaper to us now?

It was like 1GBP to 7MYR not too long ago, now according to Google it's 5.5.

True...true...i wonder if that is the same with Australia...you know...we book from PER instead of return....actually this is a good time to travel eh? Now that RM is stronger against some currency....if only the time is suitable....

I was poisoned!

Grabbed KUL-STN for MYR629 (fare+meals+seat) on 12/05/09

Grabbed STN-KUL for GBP111 (fare+meals+seat) on 26/05/09 = MYR617

Total: MYR1246 return

Two of them some more! :D

I went to AirAsia's website,

then looked at the advertisement there about Fly to london..

They said,they will use A340 to London soon.

As I knew,AirAsia only bought A330-300 right?

Any info?

The A340 will be coming in in January( i think) from air canada (i think)

there is a thread four pages long discussing the KL-LONDON matter few threads below this :D.

I went to AirAsia's website,

then looked at the advertisement there about Fly to london..

They said,they will use A340 to London soon.

As I knew,AirAsia only bought A330-300 right?

Any info?

Nabiel, dah ada forum thread pasal ni dah... kat sini (Nabiel, we already have the forum thread on this lah..) http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9006

A340 is a lease plane from Air Canada.

Edit: OOPS, 3 posts in the span of 2 minutes :p

Edited by Azri M.

Nabiel,

PLEASE do a search 1st before starting a new thread....this was mentioned already 'ages' ago... :help:

AirAsia X looking at some 25 A350s or 787s, plus more A340s

By Victoria Moores

Malaysia's AirAsia X is evaluating an order for around 25 Boeing 787s or Airbus A350 XWBs as it seeks additional Airbus A340s to boost its widebody fleet in the interim.

The long-haul budget carrier has recently taken delivery of the first of 25 A330-300s it has on order, and early next year will introduce an ex-Air Canada A340-300 on lease from Orix Aviation. This aircraft will be used to launch services between Kuala Lumpur and London Stansted in March.

Speaking during an event in London to promote the new Stansted service, AirAsia Group chief executive Tony Fernandes revealed that while additional A340s were under consideration in the near term, the airline ultimately aims to acquire a large fleet of A350s or Boeing 787s.

"We are looking at about 25. Seeing as we are so Airbus-driven, it is more likely to be the A350 than the 787," he says, adding: "The timeline as to when we do this depends on the manufacturers, but we are in active discussions."

Fernandes says that more immediate plans call for two more A340s "as soon as possible".

I was comparing QR flight and AKX next summer, QR is USD200 more....worth paying extra USD200??? :rolleyes:

DEFINITELY !!!

KUL-LON return for USD200 more (= 100USD per one-way), is definitely worth the money; QR has good pitch, IFE and excellent catering as well as good looking ah-mois :pardon:

Only 'disadvantage' is the one stop @ DOH, compared to AKX...

DEFINITELY !!!

KUL-LON return for USD200 more (= 100USD per one-way), is definitely worth the money; QR has good pitch, IFE and excellent catering as well as good looking ah-mois :pardon:

Only 'disadvantage' is the one stop @ DOH, compared to AKX...

One stop at DOH is not that bad, better than cramping in AK true-cattle class for 13 hours. Also, Stansted Airport is quite far as well. Adding the cost of extra transportation fee to get there, food onboard etc. all shud end up USD100 one way :p

Sign in to follow this