MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Geoff R.

Dungun Airfield?

Driving through Dungun in Terranganu the other week I noticed a road called "Jalan Lapangan Terbang". The road is about 3km long and runs from the main North-South road to Jalan Pantai Sura next to the beach at the Southern end of Dungun.

Does anyone know anything about an airfield at Dungun in the past?

A local said she remembers an airfield being there in the 60s or 70s but can't remember ever seeing any aircraft there.

Nothing found on the internet. Google maps satellite image of this area is quite good but no obvious signs of a past airfield.

Any information anyone?

MTIA

Geoff

i don't think its Penarik airfield. Theres a golf course over there...probably it was an airfield before (4°42'37.28"N 103°26'16.89"E ).

Edited by MIR

Yup..The golf club was an airfield. Here's the website but it is in Malay :

Dungun Airfield

In the website, go to History of Dungun Golf Country club

Edited by MIR

Many thanks MIR for that information which confirms the existance of the airfield and its location.

Can anyone shed any light on what it was used for - what aircraft flew in and out ot there?

Geoff

i don't think its Penarik airfield. Theres a golf course over there...probably it was an airfield before (4°42'37.28"N 103°26'16.89"E ).

I suppose you mean PENERAK airfield instead of PENARIK. Each are located at two different location.

Does anyone have a map reference for Penerak?

I have now found references to helicopter operations at Dungun but I wonder if fixed wing aircraft also operated from there.

Geoff

Does anyone have a map reference for Penerak?

I have now found references to helicopter operations at Dungun but I wonder if fixed wing aircraft also operated from there.

Geoff

Hello Geoff,

Penerak is an airstrip which located north of Dungun. If you refer to the map (Terengganu region), find a place called "KG MERCHANG" since Penerak airstrip is just around that place. Penerak is not stated in my aeronautical chart because it is an old edition. Or else, just find it using google earth.

I am slightly confused.

MIR - The photos you posted of "Penerak" appear to be at Penarik when I compare them with google earth pictures.

Helmy - When I search google earth for Merchang it appears to be about 7km North of Penarik but there is no sign of any old airfield.

So is Penerak and Penarik the same place or are they two different places each with an old airfield?

I know some Malaysian towns and villages have signs to the same place but spelt differently, such as Kerteh and Kertih.

Thanks for posting photos and information.

Geoff

Haha..Finally, I got it !!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Geoff,

(4.97506297121, 103.322743218)

penarek.jpg

Not bad ah, complete with full length parallel taxiway and high-speed turnoffs!! :yahoo:

Driving through Dungun in Terranganu the other week I noticed a road called "Jalan Lapangan Terbang". The road is about 3km long and runs from the main North-South road to Jalan Pantai Sura next to the beach at the Southern end of Dungun.

Does anyone know anything about an airfield at Dungun in the past?

A local said she remembers an airfield being there in the 60s or 70s but can't remember ever seeing any aircraft there.

Nothing found on the internet. Google maps satellite image of this area is quite good but no obvious signs of a past airfield.

Any information anyone?

MTIA

Geoff

In June and July 1970 I was in Penerak. The airfield was constructed fo a combined military exercise called 'Bersatu Padu. I have the complete story in an article on my website with lots of pictures: http://ukmamsoba.org/bersatu%20padu.htm

I trust this will clear it up?

Best regards

Tony Gale

Secretary & Webmaster

UKMAMS Old Bods Association

Gatineau/Ottawa, Canada

Tel: 819-684-9140

Mob: 613-255-8465

http://ukmamsoba.org

I made a brief stop at Penarek Airstrip end of last year.They still maintain the grass, I guess this unmanned airstrip is still being used for military exercises.

penarek-2_zpsx2pj2huo.jpg

penarek_zpsdtg8s4of.jpg

Not bad, looks like a full length parallel (sort of) taxiway is maintained for the 'runway' - which is more than can be said for many other airports in the country :D

Sign in to follow this