MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kenneth T

RM0 fares from Malaysia Airlines

It wouldn't be MH without a glitch, isn't it?

I made 7 purchases and only 3 were successful. 4 others were not. I called up my bank twice, they said all 7 transactions are received and confirmed. Then I made 2 phone calls to MH call center, and only during the 2nd call they admitted that their system is unstable, which resulted in the failed transactions despite any irregularities. It's neither because of the credit card nor the bank, it's their system. I was asked to make a fresh booking after an hour.

I am wondering, why is this happening? Why can't MH does things correctly? This is just so sad. Passengers nak beli tiket pun bukannya dipermudahkan, instead disusahkan sesusah-susahnya sampai kena buat overseas calls tengah-tengah malam buta. :angry:

Mana Ada System :p

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

I wonder how good the deals are versus previous occasions?

On the domestic front, one pays only RM72 all-in o/w on peninsula routes in the recently ended domestic promo. Early last year, the promo was a fare of RM19 plus RM47 in surcharges - a net total of RM66.

:) In the tradition of Malaysia Airlines these past few months, total add-on fees for return flights within peninsular is already quietely increased quite substantially to RM172. For between peninsular and Sabah & Sarawak, it's now a glorious RM256 return. It was RM240 just days earlier...:)

Edited by Rozhan

Yes, Rozhan, it's like cancer, isn't it?

On the other hand, Hong Kong from Kota Kinabalu and back is just RM294 away, all inclusive.

On the other hand, Hong Kong from Kota Kinabalu and back is just RM294 away, all inclusive.

Which is pittance really - compared to what you will be fleeced for in Hong Kong itself ! That sum may not be sufficient to survive comfortably on for a day :D

So, how much is the 0 Fare for KUL-BKI-KUL + BKI-HKG-BKI? Worth it?

So, how much is the 0 Fare for KUL-BKI-KUL .....

RM240 return per pax ?

Why not try KUL-HKG-KUL instead ? :)

Hoowee...just booked BKI-HKG-BKI in September for RM588 for 2 pax all in! Can choose seat online some more!

FYI HKG $0 fare not on offer ex. KUL.

That would be dissapointing eh ?!

But it probably mean loads KUL-HKG-KUL is >70% ?

That would be dissapointing eh ?!

But it probably mean loads KUL-HKG-KUL is >70% ?

Most probably. You should see the amount of passengers waiting to board CX aircraft at KLIA. CX is definately enjoying a good load on their KUL/HKG sector. So i suspect it is the same for MAS since KUL/HKG is a joint venture route.

‘Malaysia Airlines has reportedly allocated up to 30% of its seats on Southeast Asian routes for “very low fares” and plans to offer one million free domestic seats’ means current MH regional load factor is about 70% and there are over one million empty seats on domestic route.

MALAYSIA Airlines' (MAS) net profit in the first quarter ended March 31 2008 slipped 10 per cent to RM120 million from RM132.7 million in the same quarter a year ago due to fewer air travellers and higher jet fuel prices.

In the period under review, passenger load factor was lower at 69.2 per cent B)

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....0&start=240

:drinks:

I received 4 emails from MH today for purchases I made at midnight 20 May. Looks like their booking system has been cured as it was proven that I can purchase 2 more tickets today without any failure (confirmations were emailed straightaway) unlike what had happened since I purchased my 3rd tickets (where 10 subsequent transactions were void but being charged to my credit cards). Out of the 4 emails, 2 of them are for the same ticket. I hope MH doesn't charged me twice for the same transaction, but better be prepared for the worst.

So, I hope this battle of 0 Fares between MH and AK has concluded. I couldn't imagine another round of price war happening again in the nearest future. A greedy and ambitious traveller like me will be broke, enough said.

Since the 0 Fares war started I have purchased the following:

MH

• KUL-BKK-KUL for MYR 507
  • KUL-MNL-KUL for MYR 377 (so cheap for a destination as far as Manila)
  • KUL-SGN-KUL for MYR 443
  • 2 KUL-CGK for MYR 224 each (I wanted to purchase 5 KUL-CGK tickets but then the system got bengong and when it was cured today, all the 0 fares were snatched up. Looks like the other 3 tickets will go to EK)

Total spending with MH 0 Fare promo = MYR 1,775

AK

• KUL-PER-KUL for MYR 607
  • KUL-MFM-KUL for MYR 270
  • KUL-OOL-KUL for MYR 707
  • KUL-HGH-KUL for MYR 451

Total spending with AK 0 Fare promo = MYR 2,035

All this travels are between 1 July 2008 - 31 January 2009. I have a lot of KCH-KUL tickets to purchase with MH but their 0 fares have been snatched up. I also need to go to KBR for my sister's wedding but no 0 fare too, so I better purchase them at the last minute. I also have 1 return ticket to HKG with AK next month but this is not from the 0 Fare promotion.

To be honest, I am very unsure whether I can perform all this trips or not, considering my condition (working inside the jungle of Kalimantan, leave approval is very difficult and such), but as I said, I am a greedy and ambitious traveller, all these offers are too hard to resist. Historically, Indonesian LCCs aside, I had about 5 tickets with AK, all went unused and became forfeited. So better purchase first, then if I can't make it then so let it be, nak buat lagu mana, $ boleh cari lagi, ye tak?. At least I got the 0 Fare. It is itself like a trophy.

Congratulation to both MH and AK for taking advantages on flaws of travellers like me. :)

Wah, banyak trip Azizul! I guess many travellers too just can't resist these cheap tickets. I bought a few on AK... not because I want to go anywhere that badly, but considering such fares are a lot cheaper than driving and I may need a break from hot and sultry KL!

I can't believe myself. All within a day, I booked myself on 4 RM0.00 flights on AK and MH!

It is a pity this MAS 0.00 offer from Singapore only covers Malaysian destinations so I chose the FURTHEST! Kota Kinabalu...

Both ways was SGD0.00 so only taxes I had to pay which amounted to SGD 360.00 for 2 pax. Now what am I to do in KK for 5 days? Climb Mount K? Lay by the beach? Eat? Hmm...

I dapat the RM0.00 fare SIN-BKI-SIN for 11-15 Dec 08. Only paid SGD360.00 for 2 pax. Eh, end of the year it rains like mad in KK, no? So cannot climb Mount K? Cannot lepak at the beach? Alamak...

:(

I can't believe myself. All within a day, I booked myself on 4 RM0.00 flights on AK and MH!

It is a pity this MAS 0.00 offer from Singapore only covers Malaysian destinations so I chose the FURTHEST! Kota Kinabalu...

Both ways was SGD0.00 so only taxes I had to pay which amounted to SGD 360.00 for 2 pax. Now what am I to do in KK for 5 days? Climb Mount K? Lay by the beach? Eat? Hmm...

Coming here alone? Don't mind we come out for a drink or spotting with some other MW members lah.

MH

• KUL-BKK-KUL for MYR 507
  • KUL-MNL-KUL for MYR 377 (so cheap for a destination as far as Manila)
  • KUL-SGN-KUL for MYR 443
  • 2 KUL-CGK for MYR 224 each (I wanted to purchase 5 KUL-CGK tickets but then the system got bengong and when it was cured today, all the 0 fares were snatched up. Looks like the other 3 tickets will go to EK)

Total spending with MH 0 Fare promo = MYR 1,775

AK

• KUL-PER-KUL for MYR 607
  • KUL-MFM-KUL for MYR 270
  • KUL-OOL-KUL for MYR 707
  • KUL-HGH-KUL for MYR 451

Total spending with AK 0 Fare promo = MYR 2,035

All great destinations, except maybe MNL. :pardon:

Mr. Soh, if you noticed, MW members in BKI are the most active in the entire universe (of MW). They have a thread about their activities http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8440 So, inform them what is your plan and the things that interest you there, maybe they can come out with something for you. You should search the Golden Lounge forum, there's a few threads about BKI like their 1Borneo complex and Tune Hotel for cheap but quality accommodation.

But I am quite dissappointed because you choose BKI over KCH. You said you always wanted to be possessed by the spirit of Puteri Santubong?

All great destinations, except maybe MNL.

Really? MNL was choosen because the return fare is cheap, it is a very far away destination and AK doesn't fly into the airport. I guess this 0 Fare promo is the perfect reason to visit MNL, because I don't think I would ever have any other reason to go there again. I bought another return ticket to BWN too for MYR 397. Now I am hoping that I can perform all the trips but it seems impossible but I'll try.

...Now I am hoping that I can perform all the trips but it seems impossible but I'll try.

Better be. No refund, remember...

I can see that the trips are ex-KUL. You have to spend more for getting out from 'the jungle', as you called it, to KUL.. no cheap tix, no?

Yes, I am aware of that but that's part of the challenge. KCH-KUL for MYR 350-400 and CGK-PNK-KCH for MYR 400 each time are fine for me.

Actually, all these trips are coupled with my holidays (Hari Raya Aidil Fitri and Aidil Adha) and meetings/seminars that I have to attend (except for maybe the trip to PER which is purposely to be on the inaugural flight). So, they are not too demanding as they may seem. I just slot them in between those occasions.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

All great destinations, except maybe MNL. :pardon:

Depending on what you are after, MNL can be fun.

For shopping; Mall of Asia, Glorietta, SM Mega Mall, etc. SM Megamall was built 10 years before Midvalley.

For dining; Green belt 3&4, Glorietta, the Fort, Eastwood. There are more choice and variety of food in Manila than KL.

For pubs, disco; Malate, Green Belt 3, the Fort Eastwood. None of KL hangout can match choices in Makati.

For exotic night life; Bel-Air, Roxas Boulevard,,,,

Have Fun!

Edited by KK Lee

Most probably. You should see the amount of passengers waiting to board CX aircraft at KLIA. CX is definately enjoying a good load on their KUL/HKG sector. So i suspect it is the same for MAS since KUL/HKG is a joint venture route.

KUL/HKG is performing extremly well on both CX and MH. I'm a frequent KUL/HKG flyer and i noticed that Econ class is always 80-95% full and J class is around 90-100%.

Depending on what you are after, MNL can be fun.

Heheheh ... maybe. Been to MNL 3x, and as a traveler, I get more depressed the more I go there, for some reason. :)

Azizul,

Good to see you're finally making it to Hangzhou, got the visa thingy fixed up yet ? :)

Lou Lee,

You gonna share some more on definition of "exotic night life" ? :p

:) In the tradition of Malaysia Airlines these past few months, total add-on fees for return flights within peninsular is already quietely increased quite substantially to RM172. For between peninsular and Sabah & Sarawak, it's now a glorious RM256 return. It was RM240 just days earlier...:)

I think within peninsula is RM166, but that is still a quiet increase from the previous week's RM144.

No wonder the domestic promo was extended...MH needs some xtra cash to cover the fuel costs.