MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kenneth T

RM0 fares from Malaysia Airlines

On my personal view, I think MH and AK should cooperate more to benefit consumers.

Since AK is also operating D7, why not start to codeshare with stratergic partner? AK codeshares with D7, so there is no need to disembark, check out, check in again, when D7 launch the kangaroo route flight.

AK can also codeshare with MH so that they have more frequency to aussie and uk. Isn't it sounds better for both airlines and consumers?

On my personal view, I think MH and AK should cooperate more to benefit consumers.

Since AK is also operating D7, why not start to codeshare with stratergic partner? AK codeshares with D7, so there is no need to disembark, check out, check in again, when D7 launch the kangaroo route flight.

AK can also codeshare with MH so that they have more frequency to aussie and uk. Isn't it sounds better for both airlines and consumers?

If cartel is formed between AK and MH, they will have the monopoly and certainly rip off consumer BIG time :angry:

In market economy, only competition will benefit consumers :yahoo:

:drinks:

Another view of a blogger that I do agree completely.

http://www.discussonbrand.com/?p=45

Today the Malaysian Airline promoted themselves as the Walmart of Air Travel - Everyday Low Fare, Fly 5-Star for RM0*. In the meantime, AirAsia responded strongly with:

> AirAsia will pay the difference to any of his passengers if they can find any MAS airfare that is lower than the cheapest offered by AirAsia.

> A sub-Zero Fare campaign - another name for Buy 1 Get 1 Free????

and this competition is influenced by the increasing fuel prices around the world (although both airlines probably have hedged their fuel prices) … customers wins, so long as both airlines don’t suddenly have extra charges for:

1. Putting your baggage on the top compartment in the airline.

2. Taking a piss in the airline toilet (hopefully not more expensive than KLCC premier toilet)

3. What have you …

So how is the public suppose to view the MAS brand now, will it be the Premium Low Cost Carrier (PLCC) as opposed to AirAsia -”World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies” Low Cost Carrier (WMIC-LCC; valid for one year)?

Where is brand positioning in the name of profit and marketshare? Beat’s me…the way I see it, MAS is beginning to confuse their brand just as the old Telekom Malaysia - ‘I’m everything you want me to be in name of getting sales policy’.

They will probably see themselves making money in the short term, and going down the road they get confused of their identity and because of sustained competition with AirAsia, FireFly etc they will soon realised it is not possible to sustain this type of pricing policies, increased internal conflict in particular marketing and strategy and soon services from them will also soon suffer due to heavy cost cutting measures and soon there is no more premier airlines anymore …. everyone is a LCC.

Me, the customer wins but the company … I for one will not be subscribing to its shares.

What is or going to happen however is an opportunity for smart people to start another airline that caters specifically to the rich and famous or people who have no preference to fly LCC - private jet services with super premier personalised services at current ‘affordable’ fare of a 1st class ticket they used to pay.

The other question is will Fast Company named MAS the 50 Most Innovative Company the next year? :p

Will we see the premium MW airline in the making??? hehe

Tony buat hal lagi!!! he not satisfied with MH RM0 fares!!!

i read from bernama (malay version) still waiting for english version

read here

Please Tony, give MH chance!!! don't haughty.. i know who Kamal Ahmad

Edited by M. Sofian H.

I would love to see these competetion intensify since it will only benefits us as a consumer. :drinks:

On one hand:

Horraaaayyyyyy!!! RM0... now everyone can fly for less, even on a snekboks-infested 5-star airline. People with measly makan gaji income like me can balik kampung every time there's a holiday three days or more.

On the other hand:

How can it really benefit the customer when they keep on raising the so-called fuel surcharge and administration fee?

RM10, RM9, RM5, RM0, they are all marketing ploy.

It frustrates me often every time when I say something rosy like "Oh guys, the so-and-so airlines is at it again. This time RM10 to KUL...", I have to add "...but of course there are other charges 20 times the fare. Plus other restrictions."

Sigh.

It all comes down to 'don't make that advertised fare as the reason to fly. Unless you're Naim'. hahahhahah. Otherwise you'd see the ugly part of LCC's and super-restrictive ticket rules.

You get what you pay, its as simple as that i believe. Low fares give you the torrid bus terminal (AK), super restrictive rules and no miles(MH). How often do you get RM0 tickets on a legacy carrier? IMO even with the bits and pieces of charges thrown in it is still cheap. We the consumers are winners in this case, i don't see why we should complain.

When 2 businesses cooperate, usually it's at the expense of customers, not for their benefit. Collusion, fare fixing and the likes, airlines have gotten fined for this sort of behavior in some parts of the world. I sincerely hope MH don't cooperate with AK, it'll be the end of low fares as we know it.

Possibilities for AK ‘sub-zero’ fare is to give away ‘meal’, ‘drink’, ‘credit for next booking’ or ‘travel insurance’ but will recoup from increased surcharge and admin fees.

Another gimmick but competition is always good for consumers :good: :clapping: :yahoo:

:drinks:

Please Tony, give MH chance!!! don't haughty.. i know who Kamal Ahmad

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Kamal Ahmad ?

Thanks !

Alright... Let's all take a step back and view this objectively. I was rooting for MH and IJ for a while but now this has further eroded the brand equity of the wau-kucing. Introducing the snekbokses was bad enough. We could have tolerated that but now this to compete with AK? If they could not have competed with the likes of SQ and EK, perhaps they could have aligned their vision closer to the likes of TG who are not really in the leagues of SQ/EK, but they aren't too shabby either!

By doing so now, boy are they scraping the bottom of the barrel. I am interested to see how long this will last and where it would take them in the long run. Has anyone here managed to buy some RM0 tickets yet? Are they available outside of Malaysia? Can I buy them? Geez I would not mind a RM0 Golden Club ticket to Sydney for the June holidays!

Alright... Let's all take a step back and view this objectively. I was rooting for MH and IJ for a while but now this has further eroded the brand equity of the wau-kucing. Introducing the snekbokses was bad enough. We could have tolerated that but now this to compete with AK? If they could not have competed with the likes of SQ and EK, perhaps they could have aligned their vision closer to the likes of TG who are not really in the leagues of SQ/EK, but they aren't too shabby either!

By doing so now, boy are they scraping the bottom of the barrel. I am interested to see how long this will last and where it would take them in the long run. Has anyone here managed to buy some RM0 tickets yet? Are they available outside of Malaysia? Can I buy them? Geez I would not mind a RM0 Golden Club ticket to Sydney for the June holidays!

Why does such promotions always be seen as competing with AK and eroding brand equity? Clearly, putting up some empty seats for promotions is a good way to generate extra revenue. MH domestic sectors have been profitable now with only 70% load factor, they dont need such promotions to bring it to the green. All they are doing is adding in some extra revenue, which is helpful especially at times when oil price has hit $120. Recently I came across a prominent 5-star hotel in KL promoting their ultra low rates to fill up the rooms during off peak season, are we going to say that now the big spenders are not going to use the hotel anymore just because they have an eroding brand equity(which apparently is a result of low promotional fares)? Then there are people who go on that fellow full service carriers from the neighborhood is going to be enjoying it while MH and AK competes, how does that make sense when only domestic fares are being slashed? The last i checked, i dont remember any of the airlines from neighboring countries plying our domestic routes. If AK thinks MH is competing with them for market share, they are surely over reacting. Btw Ryan, I think its very obvious that 0 fares are only for travel in Y class. No luck for GCCL bro. :pardon:

Edited by Sanjay Thaker

Why does such promotions always be seen as competing with AK .....

Because even the artworks look similar !

..... how does that make sense when only domestic fares are being slashed?

MAS: No Plan To Introduce everyday Low Fares Outside Asean

He said the national carrier would introduce a similar campaign for its Asean routes this month.

The routes include Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta, Bangkok, Manila and Surabaya, and low fares from Penang to Singapore, Kota Kinabalu to Singapore, Langkawi to Singapore and Kuching to Singapore will also be offered.

-- BERNAMA

Did you guys see AK's response on the 0 fares in the papers or emails?

http://www.airasia.com/nl/nl080506-en.htm

It is sooo feeble and for once, AK is caught on the backfoot on this one. Nobody focuses on details, certainly not the average Joe. It's the attention grabbing headline which matters. The score is MH 2, AK 0.

If AK wants to venture into details, how about having to pay more to get a preferred seat, pay more to get the standard 20kg baggage allowance, pay more if you have an extra bag (AK assumes in the adverts that you only have one to check-in), and less comfortable terminal? I think, if one includes all these details (which is what AK is doing here with its latest feeble atempt to strike-back), MH still comes out tops on this one.

AK asked us to do the math on this one, perhaps Tony's calculator is faulty. I was expecting something revolutionary from AK to counter MH, but this can be phoo-phooed away....is AK/Tony getting jaded?

Edited by Mushrif A

Actually AK can do better if only they fly on time and not cancel their flight last minute.

Edited by waiping

Lets see ScareAsia....

Baggage Fee** 3 0

You Pay RM 62.50 RM 76.00

*Applicable for domestic flights only

** For pre-booked check baggage online

If i check in my bags in the terminal thats 5 bucks right? So the difference would be 11.50. I get to have a better terminal, a snackbox/drink and better seat pitch. Hmm....decisions decisions. for 10+ bucks more, I'd rather fly MH. Would you? :)

Has anyone here managed to buy some RM0 tickets yet?

Well, i have. Going to KUL on 28 Nov 08 and back to BKI on 3 Dec 08 with my friends. I paid only RM240 for the round-trip ticket. Sweet deal !

By the way, the RM0 tickets are for MAS domestic flights only and most RM0 tickets as far as i'm concerned, have been snapped up.

Because even the artworks look similar !

True. Thanks to the "copy" and "paste" function found in Microsoft Office i guess :lol:

MH should 'retaliate' against AK's 'fire'. Tell the people about the assigned seats, snekboks, orange juice, seat pitch, spacious MTB, 20kg baggage plus no check baggage fee, full service, aerobridge, soon-to-be-replaced B734 with "ride it while still can" catchy phrase :rofl: , 5-star LCC-cost, etc, etc....

soon-to-be-replaced B734 with "ride it while still can" catchy phrase

:lol: