MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

'First A380 Flights' Thread

Just had a chat with the SQ office here. The all business upper deck will be used on the ZRH route as of 1 October 2011. So SQ expecting another delivery soon?

ZRH and LHR (SQ318/321) will switch to A8E (All upper-deck business class) from 01OCT11.

"they" = sq

"ours" = mh

Given your enthusiasm, be prepared to be disappointed.

Once I showed @tengkuazmil a picture of BA's F and he told me "wait till you see F on our A380's!"

1791381.jpg

haha I am not keeping my hopes up :D No expectation = no disappointment (but secretly inside of course I hope what he said turns out true :()

F is not only what matters. J matters too. What's the point of having an F-class that's miles away from J???

Believe the bulk of MH F class pax are royalty, GoM and MH executives, MH need to make sure these F pax give positive comment to people who appoint MH board i.e. PM, MoF, MoT.

Believe a large proportion of J pax O&D at KUL are GoM and GLC, are captive customers. As long as satay and nasi lemak is of good quality, most won’t complain or compare.

:drinks:

China Southern (CZ) was rated “World's most improved airline” by Skytrax in June this year, and next month the fast-growing company will fly China’s first double-decker Airbus A380 -- currently the largest civilian aircraft in the world.

China’s Airbus A380 debut

The Guangzhou-based airline announced yesterday that the first of five Superjumbos ordered back in 2005 is set to be delivered on October 15.

China Southern will operate a series of “A380 experience flights” from October 17-26 between Beijing and Guangzhou, and from October 27-29 between Beijing and Shanghai.

This will make China Southern the seventh carrier in the world to operate Superjumbo routes, after Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Air France, Emirates, Korean Air and Lufthansa.

While Emirates led the world's carriers by launching the first regular A380 service in China last April -- between Shanghai and Dubai -- China Southern will be the first domestic carrier to operate the service.

China Southern has said it plans to fly A380s on international routes in the near future.

According to ATW magazine, the carrier is still waiting for approval from Civil Aviation Administration of China, and the routes are believed to be either between Beijing and New York or Beijing and Paris -- the two most profitable routes of CZ’s competitor Air China.

Raising overseas profile

The country’s first A380 contains 506 seats, comprising eight luxurious first-class seats, 70 business-class seats and 428 economy seats.

"Flying A380s will put us in a completely different league," said Yang Bo, head of China Southern’s planning department.

"We hope to use the planes to build a good brand image and to raise our profile overseas."

Bloomberg reported that China Southern flew a total of 3.9 million passengers on international routes in the first eight months of the year, 16 percent more than a year earlier.

It has also added routes to Vancouver, Auckland and Amsterdam this year as the carrier tries to develop Guangzhou Baiyun Airport into a global hub to rival Hong Kong.

Yang noted that the double-deckers will help the company to realize its drive of doubling the percentage of capacity deployed on overseas routes to 35 percent by 2015.

"China Southern's aggressive expansion will definitely hit Cathay Pacific and other Australian routes operators," Kelvin Lau, a Hong Kong-based Daiwa Securities Group analyst, told Bloomberg.

"Still, a new player may grow the overall market," Lau added.

China Southern elbowed out Japan Airlines in 2010 and remains Asia’s largest carrier by passenger numbers. The state-owned airline is expecting delivery of its second A380 by the end of the year.

The airline is also on way to increase its total fleet from 424 (as of June, 2011) to 645 aircraft by the end of 2015. Some other aircraft China Southern has ordered are Airbus A330s, A320s, and 10 Boeing 787s.

Read more: China's first Airbus A380 set to fly | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/life/china-fly-its-first-ever-airbus-a380-936552?hpt=itr_t1#ixzz1YsLW1ckm

Nice to see first A380 to be operated by China-based airline.

However, before China Southern Airlines gets too ambitious, they need to fix their website!! The English level is definitely not world/ international standard. Same goes to China Eastern Airlines. <_>

I think China needs some really high density aircraft for domestic routes, instead of 737s and A320s. Anyone who has been travelling to China will always find that the flights are delayed due to airway congestions. A case of too much frequency and too little density perhaps?

A380 should assist in giving a bit of breathing space for heavy density routes between Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

Emirates operated its first Dubai-Hamburg scheduled service on 24-Sep-2011, helping to mark the airport's 100th anniversary celebrations. This is the first scheduled A380 service for the airport. The carrier plans to operate A380s to Munich from 01-Jan-2012.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/emirates-commences-a380-service-to-hamburg-121385

I think China needs some really high density aircraft for domestic routes, instead of 737s and A320s. Anyone who has been travelling to China will always find that the flights are delayed due to airway congestions. A case of too much frequency and too little density perhaps?

A380 should assist in giving a bit of breathing space for heavy density routes between Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

I understand almost all Beijing/Shanghai, Beijing/Guangzhou, Shanghai/Guangzhou are already operated by wibodied aircraft. Those 737 and 320 are flying to some other routes. Anyway, i agree with you that they really need to come up with a plan on how to improve this. Another thing is, they really shouldn't let domestic flights to jump the queue anymore. My flight was supposed to be fifth in line for take-off (told by the flight captain) but no less than 10 other planes jumped the queue which resulted us leaving PEK an hour late :angry:

From a certain angle, the A380 of China Southern Airlines looks like it has thick lips that are thickly coated with blue lipstick!

I truly wished China Southern had taken the cue from most other A380 operators to up-size the airline's title to make it more visible and proportional with the aircraft's overall fuselage dimension.

KC Sim

Emirates announced (11-Oct-2011) its is bringing forward its first daily A380 service to Germany by serving Munich from 25-Nov-2011, nearly five weeks earlier than originally scheduled. The aircraft was initially set to replace EK 49, one of two daily services to Munich, from 01-Jan-2012. The carrier made the decision after reviewing its forthcoming A380 deliveries and expected demand. On 01-Sep-2011, Emirates increased Dubai-Hamburg capacity from once to twice daily, taking to 56 its total number of weekly passenger frequencies to Germany. The current double daily Frankfurt service will be enhanced with an extra four frequencies per week as of 30-Oct-2011, becoming a triple daily operation from 01-Dec-2011. Emirates SkyCargo has 11 weekly freighter frequencies to Germany.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/emirates-accelerates-deployment-of-a380-to-munich-by-five-weeks-123478

No, it would otherwise capture world's attention!

And speaking of which, would love to get ,my hands on one of these! Anyone know if this is real or for sale anywhere?

Possibly the most unknown A380 service at the moment. Service to commence in June 2014 and I don't even know how the interior looks like.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/03/21/oz-380update1/

5 new operators to join the club in 2014 - QR, OZ, EY, Air Austral and Skymark.

Possibly the most unknown A380 service at the moment. Service to commence in June 2014 and I don't even know how the interior looks like.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/03/21/oz-380update1/

5 new operators to join the club in 2014 - QR, OZ, EY, Air Austral and Skymark.

Quite a momentous event for Airbus to add four new operators in a year. I highly doubt Air Austral will take delivery of their A380 now. The airline is battling with financial meltdown. Their first A380 cn sequence has been skipped.

I was on 9V-SKA again recently and looking at the wear and tear... and realized that the plane is already 7 years old. Knowing SQ's love of a young fleet and it won't be long before this one turns 10, I was wondering if there is already talk about what they plan to do with their "older" A380s?