MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

'First A380 Flights' Thread

More A380-800 on the skies! Great for spotters...

Like flee said already:

Lufthansa announces A380 destinations: Tokyo, Beijing, Johannesburg

Friday April 30, 2010

Lufthansa announced yesterday that it will initiate scheduled flights aboard its first A380 on June 11 with thrice-weekly service between Frankfurt and Tokyo Narita.

The aircraft is the first of four A380s slated for delivery to LH in 2010. It will replace a 747-400 on the route. Daily FRA-NRT A380 service will start Aug. 4 after LH takes delivery of its second A380, the airline said. Its third A380 will operate between FRA and Beijing thrice-weekly beginning Aug. 25 and its fourth will fly between FRA and Johannesburg thrice-weekly from Oct. 25.

LH said its A380s will be configured with 526 seats, "including a completely revamped first class cabin on the upper deck that features eight generous seats and promotes a sense of privacy." Business class, also on the upper deck, will feature 98 seats. Main-deck economy class will comprise 420 seats.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/emirates-adds-a380-to-hong-kong-route

The Dubai-based carrier will serve Hong Kong with the superjumbo from October 1, on its daily flight operating via Bangkok.

The A380 will be added to flights EK384 and EK385 from the start of October, making Hong Kong the airline’s 11th A380 destination. Emirates’ other daily non-stop service between Dubai and Hong Kong will continue to be operated with Boeing 777 aircraft.

Emirates will be the second carrier to regularly serve Hong Kong with the superjumbo, with Singapore Airlines having commenced A380 services to the destination in July last year (see online news June 11, 2009). Emirates will also commence A380 flights to Manchester on September 1, and will recommence flights to New York with the superjumbo on October 31.

The carrier recently ordered a further 32 Airbus A380s, taking its total orders for the superjumbo to 90 aircraft (see online news June 8).

For more information visit emirates.com.

Well, i am looking forward to when EK will announce the A380 flights to KUL. Also if I remember, there was something posted here that LH will be flying to BKK with the A380 - hopefully KUL will get the benefits if remains tagged on to BKK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81IWIK4SdE&feature=player_embedded

The Airbus A380 made its scheduled service debut at a "regional" airport yesterday, when Emirates began operating to Manchester from its Dubai hub. More than 10,000 spectators travelled to the airport to witness the aircraft's arrival.

The airport will be served daily by the 517-seater. The A380's first return service to Dubai on 1 September broke Manchester's record for the largest number of passengers ever to depart on a scheduled flight.

"We've invested around £10 million to upgrade the airport's infrastructure to accommodate the flagship of the Emirates fleet," says Manchester airport managing director Andrew Cornish.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/09/02/346883/video.html

More than 10,000 spectators travelled to the airport to witness the aircraft's arrival.

Now that is one huge spotters' party !! :)

1 September 2010 is Manchester's Ringway turn to celebrate its much coveted first A380 schedule flight from DXB by EK. 11,000 spectators came to the airport to witness the landmark event. http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/manchester/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8961000/8961740.stm

The aircraft's landing was received by thunderous applause from those who attended before being welcomed with the water canon salute.

Next to receive the A380 is JFK, when EK will redeploy the aircraft into the airport. Earlier on, the A380 destined for JFK was pulled back in favour of YYZ. JFK was EK's first A380 destination.

Earlier on 1 August 2010, PEK also received its first non seasonal A380 scheduled flight by EK from DXB. PEK was first served temporarily by SQ's A380 during the week of 2008's Summer Olympic.

Celebrate new year 2011 with Lufthansa A380 calendar!

a380_kalender_header.jpg

2011 marked by the Lufthansa A380!

Dear Mr. Ramli,

This Christmas, why not give yourself a gift? Something special that will bring you joy all year long and that only few can call their own: the limited edition Lufthansa A380 wall calendar.

Renowned photographers captured the new flagship at its best, and the captions let you witness the birth of the Lufthansa A380 once again. Get your very own piece of aviation history now at lufthansa.com/A380 or at a WorldShop in a German airport for only €19.90.

In addition: you can also experience the largest passenger aircraft on the Frankfurt–New York route starting 18 February 2011. Book your Lufthansa A380 flight now and get in the mood for your destination with our City Guides and great impressions – at lufthansa.com/A380.

Sincerely,

Your Lufthansa Team

LH will start serving JFK with their A380s beginning 18 February 2011. LH will be the 3rd A380 operator after EK and AF to fly the A380 into JFK.

Also, SQ's 13th A380 (9V-SKM)and its subsequent will feature an all Business Class cabin on the upper deck. The mini Economy Class cabin on the upper deck of SQ's A380 will be gone forever.

SQ will also be operating the A380 on the much awaited SIN-NRT-LAX vv flight beginning 27 March 2011. Los Angeles will be SQ's 8th A380 destination. With this development, the current SIN-NRT vv flight which is operated by the A380, will be down-gauge to the A333 on the same date.

Celebrate new year 2011 with Lufthansa A380 calendar!

a380_kalender_header.jpg

LH will start serving JFK with their A380s beginning 18 February 2011. LH will be the 3rd A380 operator after EK and AF to fly the A380 into JFK.

Also, SQ's 13th A380 (9V-SKM)and its subsequent will feature an all Business Class cabin on the upper deck. The mini Economy Class cabin on the upper deck of SQ's A380 will be gone forever.

SQ will also be operating the A380 on the much awaited SIN-NRT-LAX vv flight beginning 27 March 2011. Los Angeles will be SQ's 8th A380 destination. With this development, the current SIN-NRT vv flight which is operated by the A380, will be down-gauge to the A333 on the same date.

Thanks for the info. Do you know when the 13th A380 will be delivered? I think the all business upper deck ones will probably be used on the ZRH route. C class is always full. I guess they can add another 24 - 32 business seats.

Based on A.Net's info, SKM is due for delivery in March 2011. SQTalk mentioned that these all J class upper deck A380s will be assigned to very premium routes within the SQ network namely LHR, CDG and ZRH.

SQ's current A380s are configured 12R, 60J, 399Y = 471 seats. The current upper deck has 88Y seats. So the new A380s will have 12R, xxJ and only 311Y.

I think they will add 28 more J seats. So the new config will be 12R, 88J, 311Y = 411 seats. This configuration will be the least dense amongst all A380 operators (currently QF has the least dense configuration with 450 seats).

So that makes our tally to (as of 29 December 2010):

SQ - 12R, 60J, 399Y = 471 seats (9V-SKA - 9V-SKL)

SQ - *New configuration is to be announced for 13th (9V-SKM) and subsequent A380s, rumoured to be 12R, 88J, 311Y = 411 seats

EK - 14F, 76J, 399Y = 489 seats 'Ultra Long Range'

EK - 14F, 76J, 427Y = 517 seats 'Long Range' (A6-EDG, ...)

QF - 14F, 72J, 32Y+, 332Y = 450 seats

AF - 9F, 80J, 449Y = 538 seats

LH - 8F, 98J, 420Y = 526 seats

KE - 12F, 94J, 301Y = 407 seats

MH - 8F, 54J, 26Y+, 420Y = 510 seats

CZ, TG, QR? If we notice, MH will have the least J seats on the A380. Others are trying to put as many as 100 seats on the J cabin.

Back to KE, I think the best news about KE's A380s are:

Korean Air is to put the aircraft into service in May 2011, initially on short-haul routes to Japan and eastern Asia. These initial routes will be followed by longer A380 services to the USA and Europe in August. It has 10 of the type on order, and five will arrive by the end of next year.

Azizul,

A very nice summary of all the A380 configurations. Lets hope that the RR engine fiasco will not impact too badly on deliveries in 2011 and that Airbus will get back on track to deliver the planned number.

Here is a rather Christmas Card like A.net photo of an EK A380 at snowy Manchester.

1840190.jpg

Large Picture: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Airbus-A380-861/1840190/L/

LH - 8F, 98J, 420Y = 526 seats

KE - 12F, 94J, 301Y = 407 seats

Based on LH's lay-out, the KE 380 rides would be very comfortable in Y-class... :good:

(only 4F more, but 4J less and a hefty 119Y less than LH's)...

And the number of Y seats on LH and MH is identical (420 seats). But considering MH will put some of those seats on the upper deck, MH's pitch will be slightly better than LH's.

Anyhow, just coming in is a news about a new A380 operator - Asiana Airlines of South Korea. 6 A380s, the first of which will be delivered in 2014. Only 3 years of waiting unlike what is happening to us Malaysian. http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/01/06/351544/asiana-orders-six-a380s.html

all the pictures makes me feel exited for our MH a380s :yahoo: i read somewhere that MH will use the new livery :rolleyes: next year right?

i wonder would the same view/atmosphere happen like the 1st emirates, when the mama jumbo comes here to KUL :rolleyes:

all the pictures makes me feel exited for our MH a380s :yahoo: i read somewhere that MH will use the new livery :rolleyes: next year right?

i wonder would the same view/atmosphere happen like the 1st emirates, when the mama jumbo comes here to KUL :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm sure there'll be a ceremony of some sort to mark the occasion of MH's first A380 arriving into KUL. I'm much more excited about flying in that A380, in business class, of course... :p

Oh, I'm sure there'll be a ceremony of some sort to mark the occasion of MH's first A380 arriving into KUL. I'm much more excited about flying in that A380, in business class, of course... :p

Hope EK won’t deploy A380 to KUL before the arrival of MH A380.

I hope EK and maybe LH will send their A380s to KUL earlier than MH to spoil everything LOL.

LOL. They better do that. :D

It's probably more likely that EK will end up sending the A380 into KUL first. They have another 15 months in which do it in! :finger:

I'm booked on the SQ A380 for ZRH-SIN-ZRH in April. SQ called me to inform that the departure time has again been changed. So I took the opportunity to ask if the upper deck will be all business class. No. Not yet.

So it sounds like ZRH will not be the first to get the all business upper deck, but it will be one of the destinations.

some information on KE's A380 operation date..

These flights will be loaded into GDS soon..

ICN-KUL KE671/2 will be operated by 772 from 27th Mar too. with Kosmo Suite & Kosmo Sleeper product in First + Prestige Sleeper in Prestige.

Thanks YC Leong for the info. It's nice to hear it coming from the KE insider himself. :)

I'm booked on the SQ A380 for ZRH-SIN-ZRH in April. SQ called me to inform that the departure time has again been changed. So I took the opportunity to ask if the upper deck will be all business class. No. Not yet.

So it sounds like ZRH will not be the first to get the all business upper deck, but it will be one of the destinations.

It is widely known now that there have been some delays with regards to the fitting of SQ's upcoming A380s, no thanks to the delay in certification of the Koito seats.

It is widely known now that there have been some delays with regards to the fitting of SQ's upcoming A380s, no thanks to the delay in certification of the Koito seats.

Goodness, looks like anything associated with the A380 programme is by default jinxed with delays :lol:

Come 10 May 2011, San Francisco will received its first scheduled A380 flight. Lufthansa will be operating a daily A380 flight into the airport. LH beats SQ as the first A380 operator into SFO. SQ has long been rumoured to deploy their A380 on one of their flights to SFO.

http://airlineroute.net/2011/01/27/lh-388-sfo/

SFO will be the 3rd airport in the US after JFK and LAX to receive the A380.

The following is the map and all current scheduled and future routes which have been announced, amongst all A380 operators in the world (as at 27 January 2011):

A380DestinationMap.gif

Singapore Airlines

SIN-SYD

SIN-LHR

SIN-NRT

SIN-CDG

SIN-HKG

SIN-MEL

SIN-ZRH

SIN-NRT-LAX

Emirates

DXB-LHR

DXB-SYD-AKL

DXB-YYZ

DXB-ICN

DXB-CDG

DXB-JED

DXB-PEK

DXB-MAN

DXB-BKK-HKG

DXB-JFK

DXB-HKG

DXB-PVG

Qantas

MEL-LAX

SYD-LAX

SYD-SIN-LHR

MEL-SIN-LHR

Air France

CDG-JFK

CDG-JNB

CDG-NRT

CDG-YUL

CDG-IAD

Lufthansa

FRA-NRT

FRA-PEK

FRA-JNB

FRA-JFK

FRA-SFO

Korean Air

ICN-HKG

ICN-NRT

ICN-BKK

ICN-JFK

ICN-LAX

Looking forward for more dots and lines on the map, which hopefully includes KUL as the point of destination by operator/s other than MH.