MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

'First A380 Flights' Thread

MH 737 to DEL,SQ A380. Which one will be your choice for a 5 hour flight?

It also depends on the price. Like Suzanne said, not many people are willing to fork out extra for an A380 and transit in SIN.

I was on 9V-SKA again recently and looking at the wear and tear... and realized that the plane is already 7 years old. Knowing SQ's love of a young fleet and it won't be long before this one turns 10, I was wondering if there is already talk about what they plan to do with their "older" A380s?

SQ has already ordered five A380s to replace these early (heavy) frames. So, they will leave the fleet and be returned to the lessors. What the lessors can do with these used A380s will be interesting to see...

Come on, there is still A330 for MH flying to DEL....why go all the way South

I would prefer to ride on SQ if the ticket is cheaper and love to planespotting

It also depends on the price. Like Suzanne said, not many people are willing to fork out extra for an A380 and transit in SIN.

Since I am looking at a wider audience, let me rephrase the question. The reason for this is that there is a large proportion of transit pax to India utilizing MH & SQ services and have to transit either in KUL or SIN for their journey back to india from whichever country/city they reside,lets say Auckland. So if you were to be in the situation.which would be your choice A380 all the way or 777 then, ass cramped 737 for 5 hours?

Also assume everything else being the same,fare etc. Suzanne?

ps: I have traveled on the MH 737 ex BKK and it was great for that 2 hour journey IMO

Edited by jadivindra

Easy, most transit passengers don't even know. Like I said, if the price is right, most passengers wouldn't think twice.

To be honest, I don't understand why MH has to put A380 or a widebody aircraft on certain routes. Certainly they can't make money on these aircraft but still want to maintain twice daily frequency.

Since I am looking at a wider audience, let me rephrase the question. The reason for this is that there is a large proportion of transit pax to India utilizing MH & SQ services and have to transit either in KUL or SIN for their journey back to india from whichever country/city they reside,lets say Auckland. So if you were to be in the situation.which would be your choice A380 all the way or 777 then, ass cramped 737 for 5 hours?

Also assume everything else being the same,fare etc. Suzanne?

ps: I have traveled on the MH 737 ex BKK and it was great for that 2 hour journey IMO

As you mention wider audience.... if you really notice, the general populace doesn't care one BIT. Plane can go up? Plane can go down? Take me from A to B? It works!

You and I are in a tiny tiny tiny minority...

Heck even on a 2.5 hour BKI - KUL run I'd prefer either A330 or B777, if available. :(

Most pax don't care what aircraft they are on but they do know how to distinguish comfort and service level.

Travelling on 738/a320 with wide seat pitch, excellent PTV and meal e.g qr for over 4 hours won't be any difference from widebody. However, LCC type seat pitch won't be comfortable even for 2 hours flight. Hence, mh fare is almost always cheaper than sq on Indian routes.

Aren't there still some ML* birds in the fleet? Wouldn't want to be stuck in one of those for 5 hours.

9 still in service + another 1 stored.

would prefer of course any airline that operates a wide body for a flight of above 3 hours than in a 738/320. Even MH 738s have a tight seat pitch of 30 -31" and narrower than a seat on a wide body. I had the unfortunate experience of flying in a 738 from KUL-CAN as MH substituted its A330 with a 738 - it was a very tight squeeze and believe the pitch is only 30" at most.