MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

'First A380 Flights' Thread

I wonder who will be operating the A380 to KUL on regular basis, other than MH.

I had a chat with EK's check in staff, they said EK's A380 unlikely to come to KUL. Biz class always empty barely 1/3 full while economy always the other way around. Finger-crossed till EK comes out with all-economy A380. I can't see other airlines flying their Whale to KUL.

As everyone here has known, SQ will start an A380 schedule service into HKG beginning 9 July 2009 for flight SQ 856/861, an upgrade from present B77W.

Anyone here for the inaugural flight? I play around with the booking engine at www.singaporeair.com and here are the fares for a return day trip on the A380 flights:

Economy Class - MYR 1,340.82

Business Class - MYR 5,810.24

The Suite Class is not bookable, I am not sure if they were fully booked or it was not meant to be sold on this shortest scheduled A380 flight by far.

Just a late notification, the first A380 flight into BKK and YYZ (Bangkok and Toronto) took place on 1 June 2009, a scheduled service by EK. The A380 service into JFK was terminated not too long ago unfortunately.

http://www.emirates.com/ye/English/about/n...?article=420253

I wish I could dedicated more time for this thread, it seems not achieving its objective. (Sigh)

A380 To Fly To The Pearl Of The Orient

11 June 2009

Singapore Airlines will fly the world’s largest passenger aircraft, the Airbus A380, on the Singapore-Hong Kong route from 9 July 2009.

Hong Kong will be the fifth international destination and second Asian city which Singapore Airlines operates the superjumbo aircraft to. The Airline started operating the A380 in October 2007 to Sydney and subsequently added services to London, Tokyo and Paris.

The daily A380 flights will replace an existing daily B777-300ER service to Hong Kong. The operation of the 471-seat Singapore Airlines A380 to Hong Kong represents an increase of 10% in seat capacity to the city.

“The operation of the A380 to Hong Kong shows our confidence in the demand for both business and leisure travel between Singapore and the famed ‘Pearl of the Orient’. Hong Kong is a vibrant business hub and at the same time it has much to offer leisure travellers looking for great places to shop, eat and play,” said Mr. Huang Cheng Eng, Singapore Airlines’ Executive Vice President, Marketing and the Regions.

Following the commencement of the A380 service, SQ862, from Singapore to Hong Kong, will be re-numbered SQ856. SQ856 will depart Singapore Changi Airport at 0945hrs and arrive in Hong Kong at 1330hrs. On the return leg, SQ861 will depart Hong Kong International Airport at 1600hrs and touch down in Singapore at 1940hrs.

Singapore Airlines currently operates five daily non-stop flights between Singapore and Hong Kong, along with daily non-stop services between Hong Kong and San Francisco.

Customers travelling on the Singapore Airlines A380 to Hong Kong will experience unrivalled standards of luxury and sophistication in air travel.

Exclusively available on the A380 are the Singapore Airlines Suites. Each Suite customer enjoys a high level of privacy in his own cabin in the sky, behind sliding doors and adjustable roller blinds. The Suites come furnished with a luxurious and fully adjustable leather seat, upholstered by world-renowned Poltrona Frau, and a full-sized bed. For entertainment, customers can enjoy crystal-clear images on a sleek 23-inch high-resolution LCD monitor, mounted on the wall in each Suite.

The Singapore Airlines A380 Business Class is in a league of its own. Measuring 86 centimetres (34 inches) in width, the Business Class seat is one of the widest in the world and each has direct access to the aisle. Each seat can be converted into a comfortable wide bed, simply by folding down the seat back.

Singapore Airlines’ new Economy Class seats offer customers unprecedented comfort and space. The ergonomically designed seat not only maximises knee and legroom, it also boasts intelligent features such as a non-intrusive reading light and height-adjustable leather headrests with side panels.

Customers across all three classes can enjoy a wide range of the latest movies, TV programmes and a library of CDs on KrisWorld, Singapore Airlines’ award-winning inflight entertainment system. Come mealtime, delectable inflight meals, designed exclusively by world-class chefs like Matt Moran from Australia, Zhu Jun from China and Sam Leong from Singapore, are served and presented on exclusive Givenchy-designed service ware.

Singapore Airlines currently has eight A380s in service, a further 11 on firm order, and options on six more.

Good news for all HKG spotters and those who would like to go HKG via SIA :drinks:

There is at least one Mwinger onboard the inaugural flight - Ian Moy from Perth. Let's wait to see if he posts any pics when he returns to Perth about a week from now.

KC Sim

SQ made headlines again with the (unofficial) announcement of the A380 flights into ZRH, beginning February 2010. The current 12 weekly B777 flights will be replaced with a daily A380 flight. Congratulation to both ZRH and SQ!

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.html?issueDate=10%2F23%2F2009

Just read about the news. SQ has already decided, ZRH authorities still have to approve, but no one expects them to say no.

I also found out a few months ago that SQ very quietly reduced the frequency from 14 per week to 12 per week.

For a change, there won't be an airbridge to the upper deck. I guess the runways are long enoug... except if the winds are not right, not sure if the 2.5km runway is enough for landings.

http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php?title=Zurich_Airport_(ZRH/LSZH)

Hmm... so next year onwards I will be on A380 a bit more... but I do love the 77Ws though...

Just an update of the delivery date/time for 3 new A380 operators of their very first A380 aicraft, respectively:

Lufthansa - D-AIMA - 31 May 2010

Korean Air - December 2010

Malaysia Airlines - January 2011

For a delivery time of January 2011, MH's first A380 - MSN018, is expected to be convoyed into the production line in Toulouse by February 2010.

Next SQ A380 destination will be Zurich. An SIA A380 is supposed to fly to Zurich from Paris-CDG for compatibility and docking tests sometime around 19/20 January 2010. It seems the daily SIN-ZRH A380 service could be as early as February 2010 . . . replacing the 12xweekly B77W service currently being operated.

KC

JEDA380.jpg

Yes, you read it right. King Abdul Aziz International (JED) will received its first A380 scheduled flight from DXB beginning 1 February 2010. I was screaming when I was informed about the news from an EK insider.

The 7th A380 for EK, A6-EDG is expected to be delivered by 27 December 2009. This A380 aircraft comes with no crew rest area, thus it has 27 more Economy Class seats from the other 6 A380s that EK are currently operating. This aircraft will be deployed for short/medium haul high capacity routes and I am so glad that JED, my current base, was choosen as the first destination, prior to the much favoured Indian destinations. Very justified in my opinion, as loads on the 2 class high density B77Ws currently used on the route and the airfares are consistently high all year around (for O & D passengers) and being a highly regulated route (read: pro Saudi Arabian Airlines), sending the A380s would be the best solution.

It's a 4 weekly A380 DXB-JED vv folks. This scheduled service also, at only 1,057 miles between the 2 cities, will be the world's shortest scheduled A380 service, shorter than the EK's SYD-AKL vv route.

yes yes, so we are looking forward for 3Sixty EK A380 TR from MAR soon :pardon:

I never thought JED will get A380 during Haj off season.

Edited by Seth K

I am so gonna fly this flight Seth LOL!

The loads between Dubai and Jeddah is very high all year around and it was super full during hajj or peak umrah seasons. Airfares during this time can reach SAR 4,000.00 return on Economy Class, which is very expensive. EK is only granted a daily slot into JED by the Saudi Arabian government. That's why.

I am so gonna fly this flight Seth LOL!

The loads between Dubai and Jeddah is very high all year around and it was super full during hajj or peak umrah seasons. Airfares during this time can reach SAR 4,000.00 return on Economy Class, which is very expensive. EK is only granted a daily slot into JED by the Saudi Arabian government. That's why.

Yes, of course we want to see more A380 TR, hopefully more 787 in the future :)

Interesting situation here, kinda like the similar case between EK and Toronto airport situation.

Just a note on the cabin configuration of the A380s of all current 4 operators (as of 1 January 2010):

SQ - 12R, 60J, 399Y = 471 pax

EK - 14F, 76J, 399Y = 489 pax 'Ultra Long Range' (for all aircrafts except A6-EDG for JED)

EK - 14F, 76J, 427Y = 517 pax 'Long Range' (A6-EDG for JED)

QF - 14F, 72J, 32Y+, 332Y = 450 pax

AF - 9F, 80J, 449Y = 538 pax

SQ has officially opened the booking for the A380 flights to Zurich - first flights will be on 28 March.

Still it comes with the disclaimer that it is still subject to testflights...

I heard someone saying that with EK also coming with A380, ZRH will already have 2 operators! Huh? I cannot seem to find this news about EK anywhere...

SQ has officially opened the booking for the A380 flights to Zurich - first flights will be on 28 March.

Still it comes with the disclaimer that it is still subject to testflights...

I heard someone saying that with EK also coming with A380, ZRH will already have 2 operators! Huh? I cannot seem to find this news about EK anywhere...

The test flight in ZRH is scheduled to be on 20 January 2010. The A.Net members have planned a grand gathering on that day. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/non_aviation/read.main/2167395/

I think the news about EK's A380 flight to Switzerland first mentioned in this thread. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4668096/

Singapore and EK are soon to fly their 380's to Switzerland.

Singapore will fly their 380's to Zurich and EK to Geneva.

Airport trials will be done on Jan. 20th and 21th by Airbus at both airports, first Zurich and then Geneva.

Singapore Airlines will be First to Fly the A380 to Switzerland.

But no confirmation from any sources follows up, plus many factual incorrectness (like EK does not serve GVA LOL!).

Depending on the weather, I will try to get a photo of its arrival in ZRH. WOuld be nice to have some snow on the ground too... like this week.

EK announced a massive A380 routes in 2010. MAN and PVG are the next new airports that will be receiving their first A380 scheduled flight. The A380s are also making a comeback in PEK (SQ served PEK with the A380 for a short period during the 2008 Summer Olympics) and JFK (whose A380s service was stolen by YYZ). No Swiss airport mentioned (yet) as earlier speculated.

The following routes are currently planned to be served by Airbus A380-800, replacing 777-300ER:

eff 01JUL10 Dubai – London Heathrow EK003/004 (Previously planned Daily A380 in W09 but postponed)

eff 01AUG10 Dubai – Beijing EK306/307

eff 01SEP10 Dubai – Manchester EK017/018, First Class offered

eff 31OCT10 Dubai – New York JFK EK201/202, this marks the return of A380 service to JFK

eff 01JAN11 Dubai – Shanghai EK302/303

This is in addition to YYZ, ICN, SYD, AKL, BKK, CDG and JED.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4680934/

EK is operating 7 A380s at the moment and is expected to receive another 8 A380s in 2010.

Emirates have announced there A380 delivery schedule for 2010 and it looks like this.

MSN025 – A6-EDH – 18 January 2010

MSN009 – A6-EDI – May 2010

MSN028 – A6-EDJ – June 2010

MSN030 – A6-EDK – July 2010

MSN046 – A6-EDL – August 2010

MSN042 – A6-EDM – September 2010

MSN056 – A6-EDN – October 2010

MSN057 – A6-EDO – November 2010

On the other hand, the inaugural AF A380 flight into JNB is expected on 17 February 2010 (AF990).

It's Zurich time!

head.jpg

From 28 March 2010, Singapore Airlines' customers travelling between Singapore and Zurich will get to fly on the world's largest aircraft, the Airbus A380, when the superjumbo makes its way to the Swiss city.

Daily A380 services between Singapore and Zurich will replace the existing 12 weekly frequencies between the two cities, which are operated with smaller Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.

Zurich will be third city in Europe and the seventh in Singapore Airlines' network to receive the A380. The Airline started operating the superjumbo in October 2007 to Sydney and subsequently added services to London, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong and Melbourne.

Warmest Regards,

Andrew Yip Hon Mun

General Manager Peninsular Malaysia

Singapore Airlines Limited

The first A380 for CZ (China Southern Airline) MSN 031 and KE (Korean Airline) MSN 035 have entered the A380 production list. Both these aircrafts are expected to be delivered in Q2 2011, although recent news indicated that there will be a delay (by Airbus) by several months.

Next is none other than our very much anticipated MH's first A380, which originally planned to be delivered in August 2011, but Airbus COO has revealed that there will be a slight delay (by Airbus) too.

Lufthansa plans to operate its first Airbus A380 flights to Tokyo Narita and Beijing.

The Star Alliance carrier, which will take delivery of its first A380 on 19 May, will operate the superjumbo jet between Frankfurt and Tokyo thrice-weekly from 11 June.

From 26 August, thrice-weekly A380 flights between Beijing and Frankfurt will commence, says Lufthansa. Its third A380 destination will be Johannesburg.

More: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/29/341252/lufthansa-to-operate-first-a380-flights-to-tokyo-and.html

Lufthansa's 1st A380 is finally revealed.

1692956.jpg

D-AIMA Frankfurt am Main is the first of 15 'Lady Bee's (LH's official nickname for their A380s) that the airline ordered. Each LH's A380 seats 526 passengers (8P/98J/420Y). This is an amazing interactive website of LH's Lady Bee http://a380.lufthansa.com/VIRTUALTOUR/#/DE/EN/EXPERIENCE/FLIGHT

LH has announced that the first scheduled flight will be FRA-NRT on 11 June 2010. This will follows by PEK and JNB. LH's A380 schedules are as follows:

NRT from June 11, 2010

LH710 TUE/FRI/SUN 13:25 - 07:30+1

LH711 MON/WED/SAT 09:35 - 14:15

PEK from August 25, 2010

LH720 MON/WED/FRI 17:20 - 08:30+1

LH721 TUE/THU/SAT 10:30 - 14:30

JNB from October 25, 2010

LH572 MON/WED/SAT 22:35 - 08:50+1

LH573 TUE/THU/SUN 18:55 - 05:20+1

I always find it interesting about each A380 operators' choice of their first destination:

SQ - SYD from SIN

EK - JFK from DXB

QF - LAX from MEL (not SYD!)

AF - JFK from CDG

LH - NRT from FRA

Where will the next new operators; CZ, KE and MH choose?