MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

AirAsia flight cancellations staggering

helo..

just wanna ask someone who know, how about QZ performance in KCH-CGK route? will fly them on 1 may, afraid dat i have to lepak in coffee bean for another 3-4 hours.

You gotta love KTM's euphemism for trains delays - "trains are experiencing a schedule disruption" (gangguan waktu perjalanan) haha

Is FD (Thai AirAsia) axed Xiamen? Why XMN is removed from the booking system?

It was announced 2 weeks ago...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/120408_Business...r2008_biz38.php

AVIATION

AirAsia drops Xiamen flights BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

The no-frills carrier Thai AirAsia (TAA) has dropped Xiamen in southeastern China from its network as it shifts aircraft capacity to two new routes that potentially offer greater economic returns.

TAA said it pulled the plug on its flights to Xiamen, which started in April 2005, due to higher operating costs, a limited load factor and a price war with Thai Airways International.

TAA executives described the withdrawal, effective from March 31, as a temporary suspension. But they gave no indication as to when operations would resume. Its withdrawal gave THAI opportunities to maximise traffic benefits from the route, which it flies three times a week.

The no-frills carrier believes it will be more profitable to use the planes on two new routes, Bangkok-Jakarta and Bangkok-Ho Chi Minh City (HCM), according to TAA chief executive Tassapon Bijleveld.

''With oil prices skyrocketing, the new routes seem to offer a better economic proposition,'' he said, adding that jet fuel cost more China than in other areas where the airline operates.

TAA started flying daily to Jakarta on April 1 and to HCM on April 4, starting with two flights a week. It doubled those to four flights a week on April 27.

With Xiamen removed from its network, the only point in mainland China that TAA is still serving is Shenzhen. TAA inaugurated Bangkok-Shenzhen service in July last year.

TAA's earlier plan to start flying from Bangkok to Guangzhou this year has yet to take off as the airline began to tread more cautiously on its expansion plan in the wake of a global economic slowdown and spiralling oil prices.

Mr Tassapon said the airline would look to consolidate operations on its existing network over the next two years, rather than aggressively pursuing new routes like before. Furthermore, the airline does not have the aircraft capacity to fly new routes, possibly to Bali, Dhaka, Kunming and India.

TAA is advancing the retirement of its Boeing B737-300 fleet and replacing them with brand-new Airbus A320 jetliners. By the end of next year, its fleet will consist entirely of A320s.

TAA has ordered 40 A320s, three of which were delivered last year. Five are due this year and five more next year.

Mr Tassapon said that the airline carried nearly 1.2 million passengers in the first quarter of this year with a load factor of 79%.

Who's on-time? Tiger, Jetstar or AirAsia?

I refer to the letter AirAsia flight cancellations staggering.

My curiosity was piqued as this letter basically claimed that AirAsia had a bad record of flight cancellations for the January-March 2008 period, as compared to the Singapore-based low-cost carrier Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia.

I decided to check this out for myself by accessing the FlightStats which carries performance figures for airlines worldwide. The findings were interesting, to say the least.

According to the FlightStats, for the period Feb 1 - March 31, 2008, AirAsia had, out of a total of 542 flights, 177 flights (32%) cancelled and only 334 flights (61%) as on-time arrrivals.

The corresponding figures for Tiger Airways: out of a total of 1,053 flights, only 3 (0%) were cancelled and 771 (73%) were on-time arrivals. For Jetstar Asia, out of a total of 1,196 flights, only 1 (0%) was cancelled and a staggering 1,187 (99%) were on-time arrivals.

According to FlightStats, the AirAsia routes that had the most cancellations for the period were KL-Kuching, Kuching-KL, KL-Kota Kinabalu, Kota Kinabalu-KL, and KL-Langkawi.

Something is obviously not right with the way AirAsia is being operated, glossy publicity and PR gimmicks notwithstanding.

If you compare the fleet sizes of the three low-cost carriers, AirAsia has 37 Airbus A320 aircraft in operation. Tiger Airways has 12 A320s in operation and Jetstar Asia has 5 A320s in operation. These figures are obtained from the Airbus.

Yet, with smaller fleets, both Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia seem to be able to make their aircraft work harder, with far less cancellations and much better on-time performance. It does appear to say a lot about the management of these three low-cost carriers, right?

And it should be looked into, because if AirAsia is not performing well, it is the travelling rakyat, especially those who depend on low-cost flights for business, holidays or family reunions, who get affected.

Not to mention the adverse publicity generated by tourists who suffer from AirAsia flight cancellations and delayed arrivals. Definitely not Malaysia Boleh. Would the Transport Minister and the Tourism Minister care to comment?

I believe that "retimed" and "cancelled" does not constitute to a "delay".

another delay.. (or should it be retimed).. for today's myy-kch from morning till 7pm... duh...

Let's just hope no 'retime' for my flight next week @@

Same here, this extended weekend doing KUL-LBU on 1/5, and LBU-KUL n 4/5. :mellow:

DSC07173.JPG

I received this dreaded message upon arriving in CGK on Saturday...

Pardon the blanked out sender.. I deleted my own copy and had a friend send back the copy I sent him.

Same here, this extended weekend doing KUL-LBU on 1/5, and LBU-KUL on 4/5.

Arrived LBU last Thursday 10min early (AK5176, AFD, cruising at FL370), arrived back KUL today a whopping 35min early (AK5177, AFY, cruising at FL390). I'm still in luv with AK! :wub:

..the AirAsia routes that had the most cancellations for the period were KL-Kuching, Kuching-KL..

Whats happening to KCH..Even MH reducing their frequency (no more evening Bus) <_>

Arrived LBU last Thursday 10min early (AK5176, AFD, cruising at FL370), arrived back KUL today a whopping 35min early (AK5177, AFY, cruising at FL390). I'm still in luv with AK! :wub:

Just my 2nd time on AK this time, departed 5 minutes late, arrived 10 minutes early. Not bad at all for RM150!! Was on AFC, no recline @@

Edited by Walter Sim

Flightstats showed yesterday - 07/05 - no cancellation of AK flights. Only MH flight got cancelled.

Sign in to follow this