MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ewan Shamsudin

Best and Worst Airport to Sleep at

Apparently KUL is one of the runner-ups.

Get the full list here.

Everybody please put their hands together for Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea), an airport in which one of our contributors witnessed 7 seven being killed in a gang shoot-out. When in Port Moresby, be sure you're wearing your bullet-proof vest and run.

Although the recent money changer shoot-out wasn't nearly as bad as the one in Papua, but potentially, God forbids, who knows what could have potentially happened on that day. If we could even remotely relate the level of security between KLIA and Papua, that alone would disqualify our beloved home base from the top spot.

I concur that KLIA is one of the best airports to have a shut eye. It is quiet, peaceful and normally not very crowded. Finding a space for a snooze is not a big problem at all! Once I spent a good 4 hours walking around doing nothing that I decided to lay on those snooze benches (KUL-SYD flight leaves at 9.45pm, and MH puts me on a 4pm flight out of SIN, go figure!). Unfortunately I was in YCL sono lounge to retreat to. But hey, those benches are comfy enough!

I wont want to sleep at KLIA, i had this experience once ago, while waiting for my first flght back to kch. What happen was my parents and I decided to head off to the airport at night just so we could make it in time for our flight that is do depart Kuching early morning the very next day, I think it is sometime 6-7am flight iirc. So we decided to sleep or take a nap at any one of the benches as everyone else was seen doing so. Half way thru the nite, i found out my worst fear.. Most of these seats were infested!!! by lice and flea's!!!! DAMN CILAKA... that explains why most of the benches have blood like marks on it! Yuucks.. i still wanna puke thinking about it.. So the next time around when u want to have a nap or even sit on any of these benches... Take a good look at it , you might find critters lingering <_>

HAHA . Hong kong is also a running up :)

i can't believe Paris Charles de Gaulle is on the worst list, i remembered i transite flight @ that airport, it looks nice and not as bad as what it said on the internet page...perhaps it's gone worst over time (=_=")

iggy, give chance for others to wallap some blood frm u! :p

i've slept in changi before, and its SOOOOooooo freaking COLD!!!!!! Perhaps i'm not used to cold, truly, its cold & dry, easily 10 celcuis. Powerful aircond!

klia - quiet & temperature just nice but, juz afraid of getting shot while sleeping.

i don't wanna find myself slept alive and woke up dead!

:rofl:

If I need to stay overnight to catch an early morning flight,I'll make it a point not to sleep the whole night. (Thank God for WiFi!) Heard many stories about belongings lost during nap times. :ph34r:

My advice? Prepare a laptop,fully charged, if possible prepare an extra battery, and get a PR status at any of the 24 hr F&B outlets. :D

Coffee Bean at LCCT is recommended. Power outlets for laptops, good coffee, good ambience, and pretty chicks at the counter. B)

I've slept overnight at KUL, JHB and BKK before and I must say that KUL has been the best out of the 3.

Granted it was in the MTB where I managed to find a nice spot at the obs deck to spend the night.

BKK wasn't too bad and I spent quite some time talking to the woman manning the info desk and she taught me where to find the best spots for sleeping in the terminal. (I wouldn't want to spend a night at Don Mueang though)

JHB on the other hand was the worst of the lot. That was the only airport where I could lie down on a row of seats and hear mosquitoes buzzing in my ears. I woke up with red ears after one night. I have since found out that the area where the check in counters are at is the most infested and the most stuffy as well. Just too bad it's my main airport for joyriding in Malaysia and my student budget can't afford a cab ride or else I wouldn't have to take the last bus to Senai frm JB and spend the night before a early morning flight. Another stay coming up in July... :(

I've also spent many nights at SIN studying at fast food joints. To be really honest it isn't an airport I would want to spend the night in. Too cold and lack of privacy...

I've slept overnight at KUL, JHB and BKK before and I must say that KUL has been the best out of the 3.

Granted it was in the MTB where I managed to find a nice spot at the obs deck to spend the night.

BKK wasn't too bad and I spent quite some time talking to the woman manning the info desk and she taught me where to find the best spots for sleeping in the terminal. (I wouldn't want to spend a night at Don Mueang though)

JHB on the other hand was the worst of the lot. That was the only airport where I could lie down on a row of seats and hear mosquitoes buzzing in my ears. I woke up with red ears after one night. I have since found out that the area where the check in counters are at is the most infested and the most stuffy as well. Just too bad it's my main airport for joyriding in Malaysia and my student budget can't afford a cab ride or else I wouldn't have to take the last bus to Senai frm JB and spend the night before a early morning flight. Another stay coming up in July... :(

I've also spent many nights at SIN studying at fast food joints. To be really honest it isn't an airport I would want to spend the night in. Too cold and lack of privacy...

Nevertheless, always cross check the seats for lice and fleas... trust me.. it's not a good experience <_>

If I need to stay overnight to catch an early morning flight,I'll make it a point not to sleep the whole night. (Thank God for WiFi!) Heard many stories about belongings lost during nap times. :ph34r:

My advice? Prepare a laptop,fully charged, if possible prepare an extra battery, and get a PR status at any of the 24 hr F&B outlets. :D

Coffee Bean at LCCT is recommended. Power outlets for laptops, good coffee, good ambience, and pretty chicks at the counter. B)

Yes, I've done it a few times. Remember my 'RM8 layover' experience last year? Heheheh.

While the LCCT itself is not a conducive place to have a goodnight's sleep, I wonder if the new Food Garden is any better.

Although I've never tried them before, there are VERY comfortable relax-seats at various areas @ AMS-Schiphol airport !!!

The only thing to keep you awake would be: "Mr such and such, travelling on KL such and such, you're delaying the flight ! :angry: please proceed immediately to gate # such and such; your baggage will be offloaded" :lol:

While the LCCT itself is not a conducive place to have a goodnight's sleep, I wonder if the new Food Garden is any better.

Hmm.. the Food Garden at LCCT looks like a big cafeteria to me. Not sure if comfy enough to sleep at though.. :rolleyes:

2640997800102624702S600x600Q85.jpg

Yes, I've done it a few times. Remember my 'RM8 layover' experience last year? Heheheh.

LCCT sucks for sleeping. I was stranded there for 28 hours during January 07.

I had spent many nights in KUL during the days where MH used to operate flight MH 2546, the 5 am flight to KCH. The modus operandi that I used for this flight was to take the last KLIA Express train to KUL at midnight and then wait until the check-in counters open at 3 am.

If not travelling on Golden Club Class, I will spent the night with my notebook computer at the Burger King outlet at the Arrival Hall. I think it is the best place to stay up the night. Even if travelling on Golden Club Class, I will still have to spend the night at the landside area because the security officers won't allow anyone to pass through the departure gate before 3 am. The Golden Lounge at the Main Terminal Building also starts operating at 4 am and is (operationally) closed between midnight and 4 am.

Edit: To stay true to the thread, I agree that KUL is a good airport to spend the night (not sleeping because I can't sleep at public places such as an airport). I can't nominate an airport for the worst category because I only have experience spending the night at KUL only.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Edit: To stay true to the thread, I agree that KUL is a good airport to spend the night (not sleeping because I can't sleep at public places such as an airport). I can't nominate an airport for the worst category because I only have experience spending the night at KUL only.

Mas DJiDjoel, aku bulan oktober besok (kalo QZ gak cancel mulu kayak AaKa) pergi ke jakarta ama anak-anak. ETA pukul 23.30 lho di cengkareng. Ku kira pengen bobok-bobok di Soeta ajah nunggu pagi. Tapi gak pasti kok apa aman ato nggak. Menurut mas gimana?

Before renovation beginning of this year to add security gate, concourse B at BKK was seclusive, had plenty of easy chairs for napping, plug points and free Wifi access, was my base at BKK on transit.

Airside airport hotel at SIN is value for money but need to reserve ahead of time.

:drinks:

Apparently KUL is one of the runner-ups.Get the full list here.

Not a surprise really...

Once I had to wait in KUL for 5 hours because my flight was cancelled and I was put on the next flight. I had nothing much to do.... aircraft spotting: not many movements... boring; shopping: nah... not my thing; eating: cannot... it was during puasa; lounging: nah... dont have access... ; reading: how much can you read in a sleepy airport? so what did i do? I found a nice spot (away from the speakers with those annoying chimes everytime they make announcement) and slept for a good couple of hours :drinks:

Edited by zaki

Mas DJiDjoel, aku bulan oktober besok (kalo QZ gak cancel mulu kayak AaKa) pergi ke jakarta ama anak-anak. ETA pukul 23.30 lho di cengkareng. Ku kira pengen bobok-bobok di Soeta ajah nunggu pagi. Tapi gak pasti kok apa aman ato nggak. Menurut mas gimana?

Pak Ewan, gue punya usulan bapak ngak usah bobo di Cengkareng. Soeta itu ngak begitu nyaman kayak di bandara Ka-El-Ii-Aa gitu. Bandaranya kayak open air gitu trus orangnya ramai banget ngak tau dari mana datangnya. Takut kecopetan pak. Di terminal internasional itu ada Transit Hotel pak, tapi kayaknya ngak begitu gede dan keren. Gua nyaran bapak ke Sheraton Bandara aja, ya... untuk kenyamanan bapak ama anak-anak juga. Mahal ya iyalah pak.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

I think the best area to sleep at KLia.. at the arrival hall near the MH stuff office there.. where got a lot of bench and a old box tv.. and lot lot of MH aHMoi's there in and out of their office... should try this spot.. but the aircondition damn cool.. bring 'selimut'.. For information you can't sleep at Obs. Deck at Night.. close at midnight until 6a.m.

Had few experience sleep and nap at Klia.. about the bench.. they clean it Iggy no prob.

I think the best area to sleep at KLia.. at the arrival hall near the MH stuff office there.. where got a lot of bench and a old box tv.. and lot lot of MH aHMoi's there in and out of their office... should try this spot.. but the aircondition damn cool.. bring 'selimut'.. For information you can't sleep at Obs. Deck at Night.. close at midnight until 6a.m.

Had few experience sleep and nap at Klia.. about the bench.. they clean it Iggy no prob.

Pak 'Im, bukan hang hari tu tidoq di Langkawi Airport ka time LIMA? Ceghita la sket... :D

Really kah, dont worry, bench inspection next time I go KLIA ekekke :p

WORST Airport to sleep in... KLIA.

I have to somehow agree with you Tsenstan... based on my experience.. <_>

Sign in to follow this