MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

Shootout at KLIA after robbery

He was going TO Singapore.

Just reported on Buletin Utama....... CCTV not working!!!!!! Apa lah!!!

Btw , if you look at previous events at KLIA , once again , they were reported as not working

Bottomline Guys , they have never worked :)

I've known that for some time now

LHR is probably one of the most highly guarded airports in the world. But didn’t stop criminals £1.75m armed raid in February 04 and attempting to steal £40m pounds worth of gold bullion and between £30-40m in cash in May 2004.

:drinks:

Egad... and I was just planning another leisure spotting at KUL this weekend.. somehow that sounds terribly unnerving though.

I wonder if this will affect more stringent patrol and more 'bereder' teams, making it more hassle for the spotters outside?

I really hardly see any airport special forces patrolling at KLIA. During my visit to Seoul last year, those airport special forces were everywhere at Incheon airport, with heavy-armed and looked so fit.

Really? I have this Korean drama series called "Air City", where the set was done all over, in and out of ICN, and they did portray these airport special forces in many of the episodes. And me being Malaysian minded, I thought that these were just some kind of promo for ICN (which the whole drama did, actually) or just the hype for the drama series.. now that you've mentioned it I think the portrayal is somewhat close to what I've watched on DVDs. I am impressed of ICN. But truly after the shootout at KLIA, I think MAHB should endorse more towards this kind of serious patrolling measures.

From theStar online

Thursday April 10, 2008

No breach of security at KLIA, says minister

By ROYCE CHEAH and AMANDA CHRISTI

KUALA LUMPUR: Transport Minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat says that investigations into Thursday's robbery at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) falls under police jurisdiction and not under his ministry.

Explaining that the incident took place in a public area, Ong said this meant it was not considered a breach of security in the airport and therefore Malaysia Airport Bhd (MAB) was not responsible.

"It is a public matter under police jurisdiction and MAB will give full cooperation to the investigation," Ong said after a visit to Malaysia Airlines' engineering department on Thursday.

Ong said he was sure that the image of KLIA would not be affected by the incident and that it was a collective responsibility to ensure security was maintained.

"Whether we like it or not, something like this is bound to make the headlines in the international media."

In a separate press release, MAB confirmed that the robbery took place at KLIA and that it was extending its cooperation to the police to assist in investigations.

On Wednesday, six gunmen robbed two moneychangers and got away with RM3.45mil leaving five wounded.

Where is the consistency ?! :)

stupid minister...what do you expect?

so normal police cover the exterior of the terminal building while internally it is a different unit. what if there is a terrorist attack outside? will the auxillary police barricade themselves in while someone dials 999? what a load of bollocks.

The weapon used is nothing compared to the Steyrs and M-16s used for armed robberies of goldsmiths in KL some years ago. One incident happened at Mid Valley megamall on a beautiful Sunday if I recall correctly.

In any case, somewhat shows security at KLIA is left wanting. Shame on them and their superiors who head an incompetent force. Bila nak resign?

do the ministry means police is responsible in this case ??? :unknw: , and MAHB got nuthin to go with it??? very good statement by the minister . :p ...

Edited by Louis L.

Surely , must do what they can to wash their hands clean before someone light their arse on fire , if it had happened at an offset of 5 further meters , then thatd10t of a minister can say that ' it is our fault '

public area huh ... IMO , still in the compund of MAHB ... sorry for being a bit sarcastic and OT , but if the minister can make such statement , OH and Weather Station is a public area ..... :unknw: :p ...... so that particular area does not belong to MAHB :p ....

no offence .... just my humble opinion .....

Edited by Louis L.

public area huh ... IMO , still in the compund of MAHB ... sorry for being a bit sarcastic and OT , but if the minister can make such statement , OH and Weather Station is a public area ..... :unknw: :p ...... so that particular area does not belong to MAHB :p ....

Well, there is a signboard stated " authorized vehicle only" before you enter the said area :pardon: ...anyway, chasing plane spotters another supporting reason for high security at the wrong place.

Believe one feel more secure with unarmed police than with heavily armed police e.g. Britain.

I don't agree on that. Unarmed police will be like you and me, ducking for cover. :help:

Aiyah, Malaysian ministers are the most skilled tai-chi practitioners in the world mah.

Anything happen just 'push' to someone else, like Samy Velu always do and now this Ong Tee Keat...

Yeah.. well said Louis,.. then they shouldnt have f.u.c.k around wx station and obs hilll.. its way too public!!! I.d.i.o.t.s .. the more i hear MAB/MAS/Gov, the more piss i am nowadays.. padan muka athey lost 5 states hahah too OT redi :p

Well, there is a signboard stated " authorized vehicle only" before you enter the said area :pardon: ...anyway, chasing plane spotters another supporting reason for high security at the wrong place.

it seems that the minister and MAHB and the PDRM are all confused as to which area's under who's jurisdiction. while they're at it, the robbers are laughing all the way to who-knows-where with their 'hard-earned' cash (very smart robbers, they rob then causing confusion among the authorities as to who's jurisdiction the crime scene belongs to). typical Bolehland mentality, expert at finger pointing and giving 1001 excuses.

Edited by Victor A.

Armed airport patrols launched after shootout

Apr 11, 08 11:36am

The police have introduced armed patrols of the capital's main airport after a dramatic robbery that left five people injured in a hail of bullets, reports said today.

The robbers, who ambushed two money changers and their security guard outside the departure hall, escaped with more than a million dollars in cash in Wednesday's incident which highlighted Malaysia's rising crime rate.

Police chief Musa Hassan said armed personnel would patrol the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) departure and arrival halls around the clock.

"The move is to provide extra security at KLIA," he said according to the New Straits Times, adding that he had already proposed tighter security measures a month ago.

The daily said the shootout sent scores of people running for cover as more than 50 shots were fired, shattering large glass panels at the front of the building.

Separately, Transport Minister Ong Tee Keat said that three airport staff had been suspended over a security breach that saw a Bangladeshi man board a plane with a knife that he pulled out mid-flight, causing panic among passengers.

The pilot of the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Dhaka made an emergency landing Tuesday in Bangkok, though officials disagreed over whether the man had brandished the knife in a threatening manner or just wanted to peel an apple.

"We will be more attentive to security and safety measures," Ong said according to the New Straits Times.

(AFP)

Whoa :shok:

Like this can still go for plane spotting wan eh, since the security gonna be damn tight and very strict now.

Whoa :shok:

Like this can still go for plane spotting wan eh, since the security gonna be damn tight and very strict now.

just as Khaled had mention, all the wrong security measures at the wrong place.

Will they just talk so ''big'' but do nothing? Yes i believe they will. Haiz. Learn more from other countries please, otherwise they will never improved.

MAB is not up to the mark. They always think they are. They haven't seen other airports enough i guess. And until today, they cannot even differentiate between a spotter and a threat.

CCTV not working. What a bloody joke!!

From what I've read so far, CCTV was not even turned on at KLIA at the spot where the action took place. Robbers took away the police issued gun from off duty policeman.

And only now the government is going to put up 24 hours armed men at KLIA as a response??

Gosh, talk about doing something when it's already too late. The robbers were so daring, because they knew they could get away with it, the lack of visible police presence is like an invitation card to these crooks, they spotted an easy target.

Anyways, the only time I remember seeing the men in blue at KLIA, is when they pat me down because the main metal detectors beeped before going to the departure gate and lounge, even then those guys were armed only with those puny waving hand held metal detectors, really not much of a deterrence. A sharp contrast to those Police NS men with big guns all over the place in Changi.

MAB is not up to the mark. They always think they are. They haven't seen other airports enough i guess. And until today, they cannot even differentiate between a spotter and a threat.

CCTV not working. What a bloody joke!!

they're robots bro, whatever the big boss says, they follow. the boss say, chase away anybody hanging around the perimeter, they'll do it without hesitate. but when there're robbers around, they just go away for coffea break and thus switch off the CCTV (well, the CCTV wasn't even working at all, for that matter).

personally, from the head of security to the men on the ground, they're all very inexperience (but they do claim they're the best in the business) and don't even know how to maintain security around such a big area. the biggest problem they have is that they still can't think, evaluate and differenciate between a treat and a non-treat situation. on top of that, they can't even think of a worst case scenario which might happen and how to act promptly to suppress the threat. makes me wonder, do they have any plan to be put into use when there's an actual threat occurring in KLIA? do they have any coordination with the other enforcement agencies if there's an incident happening? and what about counter measures? there're tonnes of scenario that could and might happen in the future and one must wonder, what are the reactions from MAHB about it?

try this>>>make a fake boarding pass, go down there, pass thru immigration, spotting for a while from the terminal, and then clear immigration, out from airport. Easier if you have Malaysian passport. :pardon:

Why I say this, cuz the two policemen(one on phone another doing his/her job) that guard the small escalator leading to immigration only/always look at my passport and give it back, my boarding pass was in there, but it's hidden, so I assume they dun take a look at that.

Edited by Seth K

Seth,

That sounds very scary - mainly because it could prove very do-able !

Anyway, these displays of security personnel patrolling with automatic, semi-automatic and what not weapons are (in my opinion only) only measures to instil confidence in the public's eyes of the overall security situation. Any 'baddie' serious in their intentions will be able to devise ways to ovecome the security measures, such is the inginuity of the human mind and bearing in mind that the element of surprise (very powerful factor indeed) lies in their hand

I do believe the most important weapon those responsible for security can deploy is - intelligence gathering (ie. network of spies, informers, etc) For with this, preventive action can be put in place and public security more or less assured. Needless to say, this will necessitate dabbling with 'the other side' - but perhaps a necesary evil :)

Off topic for awhile, The Chasers in Australia once did a ruse in the heavily tight Sydney airport where they registered a name Al-Qaeda on a flight. Guess what, the authorities never noticed even though the airliner paged the name. Although names may not be a good indication of a potential terrorist plot but airport security may always miss small details. Another ruse is when the Chasers breached security at the Apec Summit at Sydney(OZ spent $150 million on security) where the Chasers, riding a limo with Canada flags flanked by 4 bodyguards completely fooled OZ security and even FBI and managed to get 100m from Bush's hotel and security only realized it was a ruse when one of the Chasers emerged in an Osama costume.It was an embarrassment for Australian police force. This element of surprise may have been used by these KLIA robbers who rode a BMW and 4 wheel drives. :pardon:

April 14, 2008 22:36 PM

Malaysia Airports Enhances Security At KLIA

SEPANG, April 14 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAB) has stepped up security measures at the KL International Airport following the armed robbery of about RM3.3 million there on April 9.

Its Corporate Communications General Manager Norliza Kamaruddin said the police had posted its armed Special Forces Unit to patrol public areas under their jurisdiction, such as the Departure Hall, the Arrival Hall and the outside of the terminal building.

"To support this enhancement, MAB has also increased patrols of its armed security personnel at various areas at the airport.

"MAB has also positioned plainclothes 'Taskforce' security personnel as well as further increased the frequency of patrols along the perimeter," she said in a statement here Monday.

She said that currently 1,328 CCTV cameras had been installed at KLIA and 30 per cent of the cameras were continuously recording at identified high security risk areas inside the terminal and at the airside where aircraft were parked.

The rest of the CCTV cameras, which had been installed at other locations such as the public areas, were on random surveillance mode but could record by manual activation when required, she said.

"Since the incident, additional surveillance cameras at the public areas have been programmed for continuous recording. Malaysia Airports is committed to ensuring the safety of its passengers, staff and public," she said.

In the incident at about 7.50pm, six robbers shot two moneychangers, two security guards, a Nepalese national believed to be on business and a CID policeman from the Putrajaya police station, Lance Corporal Zainuddin Mohd Isa, who happened to be there, and escaped with S$1.5 million (RM3.5 million).

The moneychangers were at KLIA reportedly to hand over the money to two Singaporean businessmen.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=326829