MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kenneth T

Rumours that MAS is abolishing the allowance to cabin crew

I just had a dinner with a friend of mine who is on a night stop in BKI. According to her, MAS is going to abolish the allowance paid to cabin crew and replaced by wage by hours. ie RM7 per hour. That's an insane situation and im sure it will affect the staff morale and motivation by then.

Haven't heard of such a thing; don't think it will happen.

Being a 'rumour' thread, it gives us the whole avenue to speculate.

I think some simple maths will give us fellow bashers/crappers/keyboard warriors some understanding whether the plan is feasible or not. Perhaps someone in the know can give a scenario of a cabin crew and we'll compare it with the same scenario under this MYR 7 per hour system. Who knows, the MYR 7 per hour may rake in more cash for the crews?

Under the present system, cabin crews are paid allowances according to the routes served, aren't they? Different routes entitle different allowances.

From business logic point of view, I guess there's nothing to be surprised about even though it may look as strange from the eye of general aviation in Malaysia at first (Hint: Snackboxes).

Since the implementation of BTP, MH has successfully get rid of some 3,000 employees. Cabin crews number on flights have been reduced to increase productivity and to save on wages expenses. I posted a thread with some evidences that MH has been reducing cabin crews onboard certain B772 flights from 12 members to 11 members as early as July 2007. MH has also reduced the number of cabin crews onboard some of its B734 flights from 5 members to 4 members at the same time with the introduction of the famous snackboxes. http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6677

So, I won't be surprised at all if MH will proceed with this measure even though MASEU may make some noises. Crews' motivation may goes down the drain, but hey, if you are unhappy, just left. I believe we have quite a huge reserve of unemployed graduates who would snatch the job at any given time regardless of the payment system. MH will train them to become 'world best cabin crews' anyway so there's nothing that the airline will lose.

I think I am now in a better understanding of what Dato Seri Idris Jala and his team trying to do to the company.

hmm hourly pays actually a step back in productivity sense. It doesn't encourage employee to strive further to gain for more.

Let say the for the 1 hour I suppose to serve 45 customer. If the pay is fixed to hourly base, it doesn't matter whether I serve 50, or 60 customer because i will get the same pay. So employee wont strive to serve more customer because the pay is the same.

A good company should have their own productivity gauge. and rewards should be base on this productivity gauge. Example for what MH had done previously, will be collecting extra baggage fee. Employee who collect the most were rewarded. As a result (MH tighten their baggages rule) revenue from this been escalating and helps the company turnaround even if it is maybe just 1% of the company revenue but it is revenue nonetheless.

Given IJ track record, I believe he wont do this. But who knows...

If this is true, then it is a very sad day for MAS Cabin crew. RM7 an hour means SGD3 an hour, a waiter at Coffee Club earns SGD5 an hour. Let's hope this is just a rumour.

welcome to IJ&co's MALAYSIAN HOSPITALITY. screw everyone and try to save a few bucks. i wonder what else he is prepared to do just to remain profitable for the next few years. i hope its not true cos RM7 per hour will just put people off.

sorry...had to give an opinion as i haven't been much of a keyboard warrior lately due to my busy job.

If this is true, then it is a very sad day for MAS Cabin crew. RM7 an hour means SGD3 an hour, a waiter at Coffee Club earns SGD5 an hour.

:o Over here we get only RM3/hour :angry:

welcome to IJ&co's MALAYSIAN HOSPITALITY. screw everyone and try to save a few bucks. i wonder what else he is prepared to do just to remain profitable for the next few years. i hope its not true cos RM7 per hour will just put people off.

sorry...had to give an opinion as i haven't been much of a keyboard warrior lately due to my busy job.

I would call that MH = MALAYSIAN HOSTILITY... Anyway, with only hourly salary, they probably will be struggling badly if they are stationed in places like LHR, AMS, ARN, NRT or EWR. I just hope this rumor will stay as rumor.

Actually I'd expect the cabin crew will receive their basic salary, meal allowance PLUS the new productivity.

Meal allowance actually is a reimbursement scheme to crew for their meals during working hours. There are 3 type of meal allowances: Breakfast (0700-0900). lunch (1200-1400) and dinner (1800-2000). If you do an 12 hour duty from 0700 to 1900, you'll get all 3. Do a 12 hours duty from 1900 to 0700 and you'll get less. Do your duty from 10 pm to 6 am and you'll end up with nothing! Therefore for income meal allowance is not a good way of rewarding the crew; thats why crew hates the Chennai and other east Indian flights so much. But for longhaul crew it is a very good thing; you can have a few days layover outstation and the meter keep on ticking.

Productivity, on the other hand, will be based on block flying hour, therefore an 8 hour flight is the same whether it is at night or during the day. Good for daily flights, no productivity will be paid during those outstation layovers.

For info, MH pilots are paid the productivity allowance only a few years back. It is about time the cabin crew follow suit. The quantum, it is up to their union to negotiate. Sadly cabin crew comes under MASEU......

Lightly entertaining thread...... he he he, with half truths, assumptions and a little salt thrown in.

There's always Charters where Cabin Crew are paid RM450 for a XMas Island turn around if the mainstream is so so unpalatable....

It seems that the destinations are:

1)London

2)Paris

3)Amsterdam

4)Frankfurt

5)Rome

6)Stocholm

7)Taipei

8)Los Angles

Rumors are going on strong that Widebody Crew ARE NOT HAPPY AT ALL.So it seems there might be a quiet protest by cabin crew.After the meetings which are held every Tuesdays and Thursday at MASA (Malaysia Airlines Acadamy)the crew have started by getting out of the MASU(Malaysia Airline System Union).About 120 of them came out so far i heard.Their storry is that the creware being cheated (a huge rip off) by HR MAS.Also acording to sources also a crew said that that there will not be a skytrax award next year.Again thay say that MAS giving bonus for skytrax awards about RM1000 in a year But Taking back RM1000 Every month from Crew's Pay slip.Some says that the agreement of operating such fights are signed but Union leders said they did not .Storry is also going on that IJ does not know about this or something.Some crew Including Pilots are waiting for the Bonus.It seems that the trial is starting this comeing month which is May.Many crew were so bumed because of this. After getting their bonus they have plan to jump to a diffrent airline like Emirates ,Singapore Airlines ,AirAsia, Jet Airways and so on.Then again i m still unsure of what is going on but .that is what is beein told to me from a friend.....whom will be unknow )........................................................

I do hope it dosent go sour caus i m hopeing to get in to that airline.well keep fingers cross.

yous truly ,

Haansel.

PS: Sorry For the spelling error.

Edited by haansel

Again Just a news came over .The RM7 an hour plan is now out the window.Story is now like this.For LHR flights Cabin Crew has 3 n/stops. So some say that MASEU Agreed for 6 months Trial which also cuts down the n/stops to a night and back.They will be given RM300 per sector.But here is the Twist ,Crew will only get the RM300 If they get to Block their hours starting from 14 hours wich includes flight hours and reporting time.So the following flight are only AMS and LHR that also if they are lucky.Sometimes the aircrafts ''intend to come early".747-400 routes are currently safe which are only for LHR and AMS .Again if they are luckyMore worst news for the Rome flights .Crew use to get about 5 days stay in Rome.A day Crew get RM500 as Meal alowence.Since this plan came up to a stage where it is a nights stay and back.So crew get only RM500 and no RM300 up and back beccaus its shorter then 14 hours thing. So let say that we are cabin crew.So we go to Rome and we get RM2500 In a week .But due to this plan we get RM500.And we dont get the RM300.He calculated that all 777-200 routes are below 14 hours even after adding the reporting time.In a way Cabin Crew Got Screwed.The RM7 Seems to be a better deal then this.Also the Crews rest hours has been cut down to 18 hours for n/stops.I heard that Singapore Airlines has signed for 16 hours rest time but was NEVER USED by SIA.SIA is and will allways maintain the 40 hours for rest time for their crew.So u Decide.

yours truly

Haansel.

Again Pardon me for the Spellings........

Edited by haansel

It seems that the destinations are:

1)London

2)Paris

3)Amsterdam

4)Frankfurt

5)Rome

6)Stocholm

7)Taipei

8)Los Angles

Rumors are going on strong that Widebody Crew ARE NOT HAPPY AT ALL.So it seems there might be a quiet protest by cabin crew.After the meetings which are held every Tuesdays and Thursday at MASA (Malaysia Airlines Acadamy)the crew have started by getting out of the MASU(Malaysia Airline System Union).About 120 of them came out so far i heard.Their storry is that the creware being cheated (a huge rip off) by HR MAS.Also acording to sources also a crew said that that there will not be a skytrax award next year.Again thay say that MAS giving bonus for skytrax awards about RM1000 in a year But Taking back RM1000 Every month from Crew's Pay slip.Some says that the agreement of operating such fights are signed but Union leders said they did not .Storry is also going on that IJ does not know about this or something.Some crew Including Pilots are waiting for the Bonus.It seems that the trial is starting this comeing month which is May.Many crew were so bumed because of this. After getting their bonus they have plan to jump to a diffrent airline like Emirates ,Singapore Airlines ,AirAsia, Jet Airways and so on.Then again i m still unsure of what is going on but .that is what is beein told to me from a friend.....whom will be unknow )........................................................

I do hope it dosent go sour caus i m hopeing to get in to that airline.well keep fingers cross.

yous truly ,

Haansel.

PS: Sorry For the spelling error.

Again Just a news came over .The RM7 an hour plan is now out the window.Story is now like this.For LHR flights Cabin Crew has 3 n/stops. So some say that MASEU Agreed for 6 months Trial which also cuts down the n/stops to a night and back.They will be given RM300 per sector.But here is the Twist ,Crew will only get the RM300 If they get to Block their hours starting from 14 hours wich includes flight hours and reporting time.So the following flight are only AMS and LHR that also if they are lucky.Sometimes the aircrafts ''intend to come early".747-400 routes are currently safe which are only for LHR and AMS .Again if they are luckyMore worst news for the Rome flights .Crew use to get about 5 days stay in Rome.A day Crew get RM500 as Meal alowence.Since this plan came up to a stage where it is a nights stay and back.So crew get only RM500 and no RM300 up and back beccaus its shorter then 14 hours thing. So let say that we are cabin crew.So we go to Rome and we get RM2500 In a week .But due to this plan we get RM500.And we dont get the RM300.He calculated that all 777-200 routes are below 14 hours even after adding the reporting time.In a way Cabin Crew Got Screwed.The RM7 Seems to be a better deal then this.Also the Crews rest hours has been cut down to 18 hours for n/stops.I heard that Singapore Airlines has signed for 16 hours rest time but was NEVER USED by SIA.SIA is and will allways maintain the 40 hours for rest time for their crew.So u Decide.

yours truly

Haansel.

Again Pardon me for the Spellings........

For cabin crew who work for years with MH, that is certainly unfair.

But if it were newcomer that just received employment, my guess is don't expect much, if you need to suffer, then suffer for a while, the valuable ones is the experience and employment history for your future resume. And when your contract is up, jump ship to Emirates or SQ or whatever. But this doesn't apply to who had previous working background as a cabin crew or any job that is better than current MH employment provides. If you want it the job bad enough, you won't mind the company pay you peanuts for short term. So Haansel, don't need to be scared of MH management is treating you, in the beginning is always hard work and work like dogs. Only worry IF the management is mistreating you or any form of abuse.

I'm *that* desperate for a cabin crew job, anyone offer me a place, I work for them. I won't mind if I have to work like shits when I just started, as long as the pay are enough for me to eat, pay rent, bills and fully clothed. If anything extra, tighten the belt up and save. In 3 or 5 years time, contract expires, Quit and find better airline company.

Are you sure this facts are right? RM 500 for a 5 days stay in Rome? I think you need to check with your source again because apparently it isn't so. Time to recalculate. And 40 hrs stay for SQ crew? Thats not what they told me in AMS. MH has 3 nights stay in AMS and 2 nights being the shortest, SQ had 1 night stay. Btw, while this is something new for cabin crew, most, if not all airlines, has been practicing minimum crew rest for pilots. Check with EK and you'll be surprised to know.

Haansel, why don't you complete the full picture.....

The Management, represented by a HR Team along with Inflight Services personnel, most of whom are active and former Cabin Crew makes a proposal on the changes of working hours, renumeration and duty allocation for Cabin Crew to the Cabin Crew Reps, currently represented by MASEU and non management Cabin Crew members.

The Maseu team is expected to make a counter offer. This is then brought to the negotiation table. Both parties will argue their cases. After that, they will come to an agreement and a Letter of Exchange is subsequently signed. The revised erms and Conditions including the renumeration scheme is then put in place.

If it so happens that the Terms are not agreeable to you, or other Cabin Crew, then you can only blame your representatives and not the Management.

The Management CANNOT make a unilateral change without the agreement of the Cabin Crew representatives. The Management CANNOT cut your renumeration scale without agreement from your MASEU/Cabin Crew reps.

This is how it was, how it is, and how it will be.

With regards to duty hours, the ultimate limit will be the MCAR Flt Time Limitation Limits, and this is in compliance with International Legislation, both for Pilots and Cabin Crew. Even if both parties agree to work round the clock, the MCAR FTL limits would not allow it.

In so far as the renumeration, leave and Terms and Conditions, the Malaysian Industrial Act has laid out limits as to how much a company can schedule its workman to be on duty.

After all negotiations are complete, and the Terms and Conditions are agreed, it will be contained in a Collective Agreement signed by MASEU and the Company, and that will form the basis for reference should any disagreement or non compliance takes place. The Collective Agreement, normally having a lifespan of 36 months, is a legal document.

For your info, the Cabin Crew of MAS are represented by MASEU, which is a Union, whereas the Pilots are represented by MAPA, which is merely an association. In that sense, MASEU is a much more powerful group as compared to MAPA.

You cannot blame the company if your representation is weak, you can only blame yourself for choosing weak representation.

Hi there long time no chat :) keep in touch k :) ,

Well regarding the Rome filght .I might have typed wrongly .What I am trying to tell is MAS pays for Rome flight is RM500 Per Day .If 5 days its RM2500.So if this FTL has been aproved which the trems are 1 night stay and back.So crew will get only RM500 only .The RM300 for going and back is not applicable simply because it is below the 14 hrs time block (including reporting time).So Crew did not only lose RM600 but also their RM2000(meal allowence).About Singapaore Airlines I am not sure about this but according to the source the ''person'' said thats what he said.I do know about the Emiraits that the limits in pilots are quite minimal.I think Even MAS Pilots are doing that .I remember that when i was in Rome last year ,We got got the 5 day stay in Rome .If I am not mistaken the tec crew Went back just 4 or 3 days before we came back.

Regarding Nik's Reply:

I agree about the the Reps caus they are all 'weak' to begin with.In fact they are far worst.The joke is ,Most of the reps are only flying once in 3 months just to renew their license and back to paper work and they went to Bali and to London for meetings regarding this FTL.No one in the cabin crew knew that this was gong on and who was the rep.Thats why Crew banged MASEU today morning .One asked ''Have you fly like how we fly today ?if you havent then how can you deside what is good for us cabin crew and what is not ?"They remaind quiet.And then they compared the service on bord with Cathay, Qantas,Singapore and ect. And then this femail crew said "look at what they are paying".All the crew started to clap it seems.Crew said that you compare service but not pay the scale . So today some said that there is a MAFA(Malaysia Airlines FlightAttendent Assosiaton) and Some (i mean the seniors) have planed to join the MAFA and boycotting MASEU for in justification after the meeting.This FTL is only in Malaysia Airlines.

I want to make it clear to all that I AM NOT A CABIN CREW . I am still studying .I just have some friends in the airline.

:) yours truly,

Haansel.

:)

I remember that when i was in Rome last year ,We got got the 5 day stay in Rome .If I am not mistaken the tec crew Went back just 4 or 3 days before we came back.

I want to make it clear to all that I AM NOT A CABIN CREW . I am still studying .I just have some friends in the airline.

Lectures & classes over a 5-day stay in Rome?

Hi there long time no chat :) keep in touch k :) ,

Well regarding the Rome filght .I might have typed wrongly .What I am trying to tell is MAS pays for Rome flight is RM500 Per Day .If 5 days its RM2500.So if this FTL has been aproved which the trems are 1 night stay and back.So crew will get only RM500 only .The RM300 for going and back is not applicable simply because it is below the 14 hrs time block (including reporting time).So Crew did not only lose RM600 but also their RM2000(meal allowence).About Singapaore Airlines I am not sure about this but according to the source the ''person'' said thats what he said.I do know about the Emiraits that the limits in pilots are quite minimal.I think Even MAS Pilots are doing that .I remember that when i was in Rome last year ,We got got the 5 day stay in Rome .If I am not mistaken the tec crew Went back just 4 or 3 days before we came back.

Regarding Nik's Reply:

I agree about the the Reps caus they are all 'weak' to begin with.In fact they are far worst.The joke is ,Most of the reps are only flying once in 3 months just to renew their license and back to paper work and they went to Bali and to London for meetings regarding this FTL.No one in the cabin crew knew that this was gong on and who was the rep.Thats why Crew banged MASEU today morning .One asked ''Have you fly like how we fly today ?if you havent then how can you deside what is good for us cabin crew and what is not ?"They remaind quiet.And then they compared the service on bord with Cathay, Qantas,Singapore and ect. And then this femail crew said "look at what they are paying".All the crew started to clap it seems.Crew said that you compare service but not pay the scale . So today some said that there is a MAFA(Malaysia Airlines FlightAttendent Assosiaton) and Some (i mean the seniors) have planed to join the MAFA and boycotting MASEU for in justification after the meeting.This FTL is only in Malaysia Airlines.

:) yours truly,

Haansel.

:)

Your second para is a huge rant. I don't understand who is saying what to who..... And what do you mean by this FTL is only in Malaysia Airlines...other airlines no FTL?

I was initially confused....but your last bit about you still studying and about having friends in the airline explains it all.

You're writing cheques neither you intellect nor experience can cash.

Don't worry Haansel. We believe you. We believe that something wrong is happening within MH's cabin crew department (if not the rumour won't arose in the first place). I hope you can reveal more details for us to share. It doesn't matter if you are a proxy (of your cabin crew friends) or a student because we can see the depth of details in your explanations.

Ignore Nik H. We all know he just said about the writing cash cheque intellect whatever, just to discourage you from revealing more.

Its ok I do take that as a defect in me .Ill try my best to up date the way i write.And i will keep you all informed as much as i can . :)

Yours truly,

Haansel. :)

You're writing cheques neither you intellect nor experience can cash.

Top Gun eh....sweet ;)