MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kwek

Warbirds over Wanaka 2008

Here comes the pair of Mustangs! Regarded by many as the greatest piston engined fighter built during World War II.

Mustang_100_0757_hi10_c8.jpg

Mustang_100_0768_hi10_c8.jpg

It's a pity that the Spitfire TR 9 (two-seater version) failed to make it to the show due to some customs snafu. But I was extremely glad to see the Hurricane - the workhorse of the Battle of Britain.

Hurricane_IMG_1084_hi10_c8.jpg

Taking the salute in front of the Gold Pass area.

Hurricaneongrass_100_0990_hi10_c8.jpg

Wheels coming up!

Hurricane_IMG_1090_hi10_c8.jpg

Cleaned up!

Hurricane_100_0969_hi10_c8.jpg

Note the black/white underside - a unique RAF paint pattern of that period.

Hurricane_IMG_1098_hi10_c8.jpg

Here comes the teletubbies.... eh Polikarpov I-153...

PolikarpovI-153_100_0939_hi10_c8.jpg

Cute biplane.....go topless to get....

PolikarpovI-153_100_0912_hi10_c8.jpg

a Polikarpov I-16 (just kidding).

PolikarpovI-16_100_0897_hi10_c8.jpg

These Ruskies pretty rare planes....

PolikarpovI-16_100_0816_hi10_c8.jpg

but this one takes the cake: A Klemm 35 in Swedish markings. Yes, that's a German WWII trainer that first flew in 1935.

Klemm35_100_0197_hi10_c8.jpg

All hell breaks loose as the airfield is under attack!!

The Allies in formation

AlliesWarbirds_IMG_1132_hi10_c8.jpg

Warbirdsformation_IMG_1139_hi10_c8.jpg

Everybody is up in the air, including the Tiger Moths!

TigerMoths_100_0187_hi10_c8.jpg

TigerMoth_100_0271_hi10_c8.jpg

Count them!

WWIbirds_100_0255_hi10_c8.jpg

Mockattackdeparture_100_0206_hi10_c.jpg

The Jets want to play too....

Launch!

Albatrosnose_IMG_1000_hi10_c8.jpg

I like this scheme on the L-39 Albatros

Albatross_IMG_1002_hi10_c8.jpg

This is similar to a scheme in use by RTAF

Albatross_100_0923_hi10_c8.jpg

A-37 Dragonfly...

A-37_IMG_0994_hi10_c8.jpg

...in South Vietnamese markings

A-37_IMG_1031_hi10_c8.jpg

Simulated bombs!

Boom_100_9778_hi10_c8.jpg

A very enjoyable airshow indeed. Cheers!

Nice stuff there Kwek... enjoyed every last bit of it... it must have sounded good to be there with all the props buzzing around... :drinks:

Thanks for sharing Kwek. Wasn't able to attend the Wanaka airshow myself due to work. Otherwise could have warrant a trip down there :p Wanaka is a beauty township in the deep South not too far away from Queenstown!

DC3_101_0133_hi10_c8.jpg

If I am not wrong, this bird is being used as a sightseeing aircraft around greater Auckland city for $80 for a one hour trip departing from Auckland's Ardmore airport.

Have seen quite a few similar birds at last year's airshow at Auckland's Whenuapai airport - birds such as the Hercules, Dragonfly, Yaks and 757s were present.

I wonder if you fly into Wanaka from Christchurch and using SQ from SIN to CHC?

Edited by S V Choong

Here comes the pair of Mustangs! Regarded by many as the greatest piston engined fighter built during World War II.

Mustang_100_0757_hi10_c8.jpg

Kwek,

Fantastic shots of what looks like a VERY memorable day. The P51 takes my breath away whenever I see one. Of course, this aircraft only became truly great when the British fitted it with the Merlin engine and told the yanks what an amazing machine it was :rolleyes:

P51 alongside a Spitfire, what a noise :drinks:

Thanks for sharing with us all :clapping:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve

The next "Warbirds over Wanaka" is in Easter 2010. Can start planning now.... this one closer to runway than Langkawi.... :drinks:

many years i plan to go....Didnt make it.Nice one Kwek...Vampires...wohoo
Thanks for the update. Where are the C-17s based?
Jurgis is now a regular down-under...since his first appearance in 2005 at Avalon, I don't think he's missed an event since!Oh, RAAF now has all 4 C-17's in service (A41-206/7/8/9)
Glad you like it. If given a choice, I would like to take a ride in the Klemm KL 35!
Awesome, Kwek, really really nice !!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: Love the Corsair shots :good: Would be dyin' to make a joy-flight in one of these YAK's :pardon:
Thanks for all the kind comments from all, sorry if I did not respond to the posts.SV: Hmm... I'll make sure I do the Dakota flight the next time I'm in Auckland. I think the Catalina is based in Auckland too.Anyway I was transported by coach from Christchurch to Queenstown, followed by a day trip to Wanaka, returning the next day to CHC with a stop at Mount Cook for lunch. And yes, SQ for SIN-CHC-SIN.
Thanks for sharing Kwek. Wasn't able to attend the Wanaka airshow myself due to work. Otherwise could have warrant a trip down there :p Wanaka is a beauty township in the deep South not too far away from Queenstown!If I am not wrong, this bird is being used as a sightseeing aircraft around greater Auckland city for $80 for a one hour trip departing from Auckland's Ardmore airport.Have seen quite a few similar birds at last year's airshow at Auckland's Whenuapai airport - birds such as the Hercules, Dragonfly, Yaks and 757s were present. I wonder if you fly into Wanaka from Christchurch and using SQ from SIN to CHC?