MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Meor

AirAsia CHECK-IN Baggage Fees & Rules

You're totally right man, sorry, din't read it carefully. :p

you see.... you could have easily been one of the misled passengers... just like what happened to my friend.

sorry...not to nitpick on you, azri... but it can happen to anyone who are not properly informed... :pardon:

Just got home from our monthly AK trip. This time to PNH. Not much impact on us this charge - we go for quick jalan-jalan, so normally no check-in bags. We saw this check-in fee in the 360 mag.

Btw had another good trip - AK852 KUL-PNH arrived right on the dot last Frday. Just now AK853 PNH-KUL arrived 15min early. RM195 return, that's the key and we are happy :D. Next AK outing is 1/5 - to LBU. To me the low fares and good performance are enough to keep me with AK. They introduce more charges, and I'll find ways to manage them.

Just remembered, next AK trip is actually next week, inaugural to SGN on 15/4. Also just my trusty cabin bag and camera backpack. :)

Edited by Naim

AirAsia to have check-in baggage fee (updated)

By ROYCE CHEAH

SEPANG: AirAsia will be charging all its passengers a fee for check-in baggage from April 21 in a bid to defray rising fuel costs, its group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said.

The fee would be RM3 per piece of baggage through online check-in and RM5 per piece of baggage when checking in at the airport.

Checked-in baggage will be charged on a per piece basis up to a maximum combined weight of 15kg. Anything over 15kg will be charged as excess in addition to the checked-in baggage fee.

According to Fernandes, charging the fee for check-in baggage made more sense than charging everyone an additional fuel surcharge, which was what other airlines were doing.

“With the rising fuel costs, we have to find new and innovative ways to keep our fares low.

“When it comes to bags, we notice that many passengers bring a lot of bags making our planes heavier which in the end makes the plane consume more fuel,” he said.

Fernandes said he did not think that there would be a negative reaction to the move as the fee was not high.

“It will help to defray up to 10% of the fuel cost. It is not much, but it adds up with all the other things we are doing such as priority boarding, selling merchandise and food on the flights.”

According to AirAsia’s statement, the airline believed that passengers should be given the option to choose the services they require and pay for those services.

“This approach has enabled AirAsia to provide continuous low fares, which is a priority for us,” it said.

The statement added that AirAsia was looking to change travellers’ behaviour by encouraging people to travel lighter.

“Lighter baggage weight on board the aircraft means burning less fuel, hence, less pollution and a better environment. Fewer checked-in baggage improves airport efficiency and will eventually lead to shorter check-in queues.”

1st bold: I thought the RM 3 is for prebook but not online check in? And RM5 is for airport counter but not checking in at the airport?

2nd bold: Large amount of luggage doesn't mean more weight right? A person still entitled 15kg max, and they're going to pay for their overweight isn't it? So why is him making this statement? Don't you think this mislead?

1st bold: I thought the RM 3 is for prebook but not online check in? And RM5 is for airport counter but not checking in at the airport?

2nd bold: Large amount of luggage doesn't mean more weight right? A person still entitled 15kg max, and they're going to pay for their overweight isn't it? So why is him making this statement? Don't you think this mislead?

for 1st bold, it was the usual stupid editor or journalist getting facts wrong again.

and for 2nd bold, it's the usual PR spin of trying to mislead i.e. taking thru their ass.

for 1st bold, it was the usual stupid editor or journalist getting facts wrong again.

and for 2nd bold, it's the usual PR spin of trying to mislead i.e. taking thru their ass.

Oh, need not to be so harsh, we all know, just to point it out.... :pardon: :pardon:

Thanks for making it straight though, I just hesitated... :drinks: :drinks:

Originally under the old system pax would be more liberal in deciding how much baggage to carry because all pax are given 15kg and its use it or lose it. As a result, many pax would carry as many bags as they possibly can as long as they are under the 15kg limit so as to avoid paying excess baggage charges.

Now that the new charge is implemented, pax would think twice before bringing any checked baggage if they can help it. So pax who would previously carry 3 bags with a total weight of 14kg would now carry one bag and because of the reduction in packing space the single bag would now weigh much less than the 14kg which he was originally planning to bring in 3 bags.

According to his argument, the charge is implemented to deter pax from carrying as many bags as they can. By reducing the number of bags carried, it is hoped that the total weight of all baggage carried will decrease.

Originally under the old system pax would be more liberal in deciding how much baggage to carry because all pax are given 15kg and its use it or lose it. As a result, many pax would carry as many bags as they possibly can as long as they are under the 15kg limit so as to avoid paying excess baggage charges.

Now that the new charge is implemented, pax would think twice before bringing any checked baggage if they can help it. So pax who would previously carry 3 bags with a total weight of 14kg would now carry one bag and because of the reduction in packing space the single bag would now weigh much less than the 14kg which he was originally planning to bring in 3 bags.

According to his argument, the charge is implemented to deter pax from carrying as many bags as they can. By reducing the number of bags carried, it is hoped that the total weight of all baggage carried will decrease.

Oh well if that's the case I seriously doubt that a person used to carry 10kg of baggage can reduce to none as checked item, remember we have very limited carry on kg.

Well I just don't understand, what is the difference between 3 bags add up to 15kg as compared to a bag of 15kg. The point here is they are all 15kg, regardless of how many bags it is. If they say reducing the time of uploading blah blah blah I would accept then.

Bloody not fair...I've just booked my mum a KCH-PEN return.When I booked then,this option way not available.So how??I have to call their stupid Call Centre all the way in KL??Its expensive lar!

Another spinner on the loose.

oh..only for bookings made after 21 apr...got it...aiyoh...really untung kaw-kaw lar this airasia...hmmph!

suggestions for airasia...why not paid overhead bins...you put 2 50cent coins into a slot on the overheadbins...turn the key and viola...overhead bins...like those you find in libraries...or gym...or at left baggage counter....all i can...dear airasia ground staff...brace yourselves...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Ah well, AK bashing pulak? Dunno about you guys, but me and my kids have been using AK on average 2x a month for 3 yrs now. And we are happy with the service thus far. Planes were mostly on time, and the cheap fares made flying them affordable. And since we seldom have check-in bags, this new fee does not really bother us. If Tony needs the extra money to offset fuel cost without raising fuel surcharge, then I have no issue. As it is, AK is already doing a good job, and I'll keep patronising them.

One can't stop comparing the other LCCs who have done this namely Ryanair and Easyjet.

But after comparing these fees to us, we should be grateful that AirAsia's fees are not high.

Yes, that is why I am trying to avoid flying Ryanair recently. Easyjet £5 baggage charge isn't too bad, although this was only £3.99 a month ago. I bet Airasia RM3 charges won't last long.

Azri, you have overlooked the fact that neither Ryanair nor Easyjet impose fuel surcharge or the so-called adminstration fee. And unlike Airasia, their advertised fares are inclusive of all non-optional extras, e.g. airport tax, security charges and UK passenger duty.

A bad news indeed for me and many of my friends who frequent Bandung/Jakarta for shopping.

If i'm in Firefly and MH marketing/brand team, i'll launch an all out ad-campaign on this highlighting the free luggage allowance on FY and MH. :) An opportunity to make fun of the 'big bully'. :p

If i'm in Firefly and MH marketing/brand team, i'll launch an all out ad-campaign on this highlighting the free luggage allowance on FY and MH. :) An opportunity to make fun of the 'big bully'. :p

If i'm in AK marketing team, i'll respond with adverts saying that the RM3 per checked baggage is nothing compared to the MaHal fares the other airline is charging... :pardon:

but seriously, i agree that RM3 is just an introductory price... yes... i'm sure it does not last long :mellow:

If i'm in AK marketing team, i'll respond with adverts saying that the RM3 per checked baggage is nothing compared to the MaHal fares the other airline is charging... :pardon:

but seriously, i agree that RM3 is just an introductory price... yes... i'm sure it does not last long :mellow:

:rofl: :rofl: , nice one zaki :good:

Reading about the baggage fees on todays newspaper maks me wanna throw out. Cut the crap on all those environmental reasons and just admit that AK wants more revenue to achieve their Aku Kaya objective!

What i think they should do is to absorb the RM5/RM3 into the ticket. So instead of having RM9.99 offers, they have to settle for RM14.99 offer which is still cheap. The trick is to offer those who do not carry luggage will receive RM5/RM3 rebate or onboard food vouchers upon check in. This way AK will look good and nobody need to know about the increase of RM5 in the ticket price, not many will notice anyway. And no need to sell crap like Save the Environment by carrying less Bags.

And no need to sell crap like Save the Environment by carrying less Bags.

true!

It's time that all airlines in selling tickets in Malaysia be forced to state the nett fare inclusive of all fees i.e. in Australia.

i see from TV3 news (buletin 1.30)

With pay extra RM3, AK will gain extra RM50million per/year

WOW!! Smart Business!

what happen after this?

What i think they should do is to absorb the RM5/RM3 into the ticket. So instead of having RM9.99 offers, they have to settle for RM14.99 offer which is still cheap. The trick is to offer those who do not carry luggage will receive RM5/RM3 rebate or onboard food vouchers upon check in. This way AK will look good and nobody need to know about the increase of RM5 in the ticket price, not many will notice anyway. And no need to sell crap like Save the Environment by carrying less Bags.

Reverse psychology. When you cant do one way, twist the other way around... but dont you look the same nonetheles, eventually?... And the Environment issue is just an excuse so that he doesn't look bad.. boooo!

I second the idea of publishing net price like Australia.

Reverse psychology. When you cant do one way, twist the other way around... but dont you look the same nonetheles, eventually?... And the Environment issue is just an excuse so that he doesn't look bad.. boooo!

I second the idea of publishing net price like Australia.

Yes, it is indeed the same. But the beauty of LCC pricing is that it is not fixed and by quietly adding RM5 into it and offering rebate of RM5 for those who did not check in bags will bring the same amount of profit. The pax won't know about the increase of RM5 into their ticket price as it is absorbed into the Basic Ticket Price.

This is how it works:

Let's flashback to a month ago before the announcement of RM5 baggage charge and imagine this scenario.

1) AK wants to add more revenue, hence adding RM5 to all Basic Ticket Price (e.g.: From RM9.99 to RM14.99 or from RM0.99 to RM5.99).

2) No one will notice anything as it is still low and pax will thing it is the real ticket price as what they always see.

3) So pax buy tickets bla bla bla and AK then made the announcement, "we want to encourage people to save even more when they fly with AK hence we want to give you RM5 back if you don't check in your bags!"

4) Make it an exciting marketing campaign as Now Everyone Can Save More! and TF can even tags it along with "Environmental Corporate Responsibility" theme.

Of course this thing won't work now as AK already make the announcement about the RM5 thing.

I think my abocve method will give better effect than simply out-of-nowhere announce We want to charge you RM5....it's not really about the amount but about how you want to squeeze the consumers money.

All this is just my personal opinion. I could be wrong :) After all AK MArketing Dept repeatedly turned down my job applications so maybe i don;t have their brain hehehe :p

One quick question

My friend paid Rm6 extra online for him to check in two baggages.

My question would be:

The limit is 15kg per bag or the total weigh of two baggage cannot exceed 15kg ?

Below is the extraction from AK's T&C, my england suck till max so I need your help.

T&C

You may transport checked Baggage up to a maximum weight of 15 kg subject to the conditions and limitations contained in our Terms & Conditions. However, checked Baggage will incur a Baggage Handling Fee on a per piece basis per one way. This may be paid at a discounted rate at the point of booking or at full rate at the Airport check-in counter – please refer to thefee schedule. This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. Baby buggies, manual wheelchairs, mobility devices and walking frames are carried free of charge. There is no baggage allowance for infants, although a pram/buggy will be carried free of charge.

One quick question

My question would be:

The limit is 15kg per bag or the total weigh of two baggage cannot exceed 15kg ?

Total is 15kg, regardless of no. of pieces (each piece must pay RM3 online). If more than 15kg, must pay excess fee.

One quick question

My question would be:

You can check in how many pieces you want BUT the total weight should not exceed 15kg per passenger.

Logically, if your friend is allowed 15kg each piece, woooowwwwww what a saving there. Only RM6 for a 30kg of 'cargo'.