MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Meor

AirAsia CHECK-IN Baggage Fees & Rules

Hot hot hot!!! Our spy at the AK Gossip Division just leaked this for us:

Changes to prebook checked baggage and sports equipment fee on Saturday 31 August 2013

All international AirAsia (AK, FD, QZ, PQ, Z2) and AirAsia X (D7) flights will no longer be offering the 15kg and 35kg checked baggage and sports equipment fee tiers effective 0001 hours (GMT+ 8 ) on Saturday 31 August 2013.

All AirAsia domestic flights will maintain the 15kg checked baggage tier, however, the 35kg tier for checked baggage & sports equipment fee will be removed. AirAsia domestic flights includes flights within Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan (until 31 October 2013 for Japan).

This means that the available checked baggage & sports equipment fee tiers on
- International flights will be 20kg, 25kg, 30kg and 40kg
- Domestic flights will be 15kg, 20kg, 25kg, 30kg and 40kg

For our international guests, if you have booked your checked baggage and sports equipment fee for 15kg or 35kg before 31 August 2013, we will be giving you a free upgrade to 20kg and 40kg respectively!

Is this due to competition from Malindo and MAS? I got a free 5 kg upgrade (to 20 kg) in July. So, does that mean that we will get 20 kg checked in luggage for the old price of 15 kg?

Hot hot hot!!! Our spy at the AK Gossip Division just leaked this for us:

Changes to prebook checked baggage and sports equipment fee on Saturday 31 August 2013

All international AirAsia (AK, FD, QZ, PQ, Z2) and AirAsia X (D7) flights will no longer be offering the 15kg and 35kg checked baggage and sports equipment fee tiers effective 0001 hours (GMT+ 8 ) on Saturday 31 August 2013.

All AirAsia domestic flights will maintain the 15kg checked baggage tier, however, the 35kg tier for checked baggage & sports equipment fee will be removed. AirAsia domestic flights includes flights within Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan (until 31 October 2013 for Japan).

This means that the available checked baggage & sports equipment fee tiers on

- International flights will be 20kg, 25kg, 30kg and 40kg

- Domestic flights will be 15kg, 20kg, 25kg, 30kg and 40kg

For our international guests, if you have booked your checked baggage and sports equipment fee for 15kg or 35kg before 31 August 2013, we will be giving you a free upgrade to 20kg and 40kg respectively!

Pak MAR, this leak came 20 minutes late! I have yet to book baggage for my upcoming D7 flights. :(

Sorry about that. The spy did leaked this hours before the cut off time but I only managed to log in to MW at a later time.

Its ok MAR. ^_^ Many were caught by surprise by this, especially among the backpackers community online. I can't help but think that this is a knee-jerk reaction by them to increase revenue following the Q2 results announcement by D7.

I thought less cost = cheaper fares for all?

Less cost = more revenue. Be greedy to get double triple revenue. No need to pay staff. Only service the robot/machine staff. Let the pax do all human staff working ex booking, check-in, tagging etc. Create regulations that won't benefits nobody except the company. So inhumane!

Luggage self tagging is now common in the first world. We are moving in the right direction. Hope MH will introduce this feature asap, just like BA over here.

Let the machines do all the labour works. The best run company is the one that has the least and most lean number of staff. A company that has a bloated staff is not doing well, prime example - MH.

Less cost = more revenue. Be greedy to get double triple revenue. No need to pay staff. Only service the robot/machine staff. Let the pax do all human staff working ex booking, check-in, tagging etc. Create regulations that won't benefits nobody except the company. So inhumane!

Don't you think staff want to perform higher value added duties? It won't be much fun if your work involves tagging bags all day long, will it?

I note that with AK, they do have their staff perform multiple functions - like check in agents also man the gates in the departure hall.

Luggage self tagging is now common in the first world. We are moving in the right direction. Hope MH will introduce this feature asap, just like BA over here.

Let the machines do all the labour works. The best run company is the one that has the least and most lean number of staff. A company that has a bloated staff is not doing well, prime example - MH.

True. Did that myself at CDG and i personally found that i did it faster than most check-in counter staff, from check-in to tagging my own luggage :D

Larger profit* (If all variables remain the same). It won't necessarily increase revenue.

I don't think the best run company is about capital over labour, but rather about using resources to the maximum efficiency.

In Western nations such as the UK and Australia, labour is ridiculously (relative to Asia) expensive and the efficiency to cost ratio of having machinery far outweighs the efficiency to cost ratio as well as the perceived welfare and "premium human touch" importance of employing labour resources.

However, in Asia, this may not translate fully where labour can be dirt-cheap. In AK's case, it probably makes sense to use machinery as the "premium human touch" is irrelevant to their main objective of providing cheap fares. However in MH's case, the case of employing labour resources can be argued strongly as it is a government business (employment interests) and a full fledged legacy airline ("premium human touch").

I think the case in Malaysia/Asia is not the cost advantage of employing capital resources over labour resources as I would believe there would be not much difference is costs, but rather the efficiency of employing capital resources over labour resources. Malaysians in general are not efficient workers, especially public sector workers.

Therefore I think having the least staff and leanest staff is not the best formula to run a successful company if the staff are an efficient bunch - in which case, MH's isn't.

There is another factor - supply of labour.

As we know, Malaysia has full employment. As an airline like AK is expanding rapidly, sourcing low grade labour may be more difficult. As such, use of machinery makes sense.

This is not a fully automated solution ala AMS. This is just an upgraded kiosk check in machine with the capability of printing baggage tags. You still need to bring the bags to a conventional counter whereby a staff will make sure that your bags are not overweight and then let it go through the back. So not a measure to save on labour cost per se, but more on cutting the number of queues at the counters. I've seen the machine for quite a while now actually but only as a regular kiosk check in. They've only recently activated the baggage tag printing function

This is at AMS.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Given the AK passenger load in LCCT, you have to queue up one way or other, unless you have no checked in luggage and have checked in online (usually no queue at the ever changing location of the document verification counter)

anyone received email informing about revised baggage fees?

Yes :)

We would like to inform you, our valued guest, that we will be revising our baggage pricing.

With the new pricing structure, booking your checked baggage at the time of your flight booking will guarantee you the greatest savings.

You will still be able to pre-book your baggage via Manage My Booking later. However, it will be at a higher price.

Rest assured that pre-booking checked baggage online, be it at the time of your flight booking or later via Manage My Booking, you will still enjoy more savings as compared to purchasing last minute at the airport counter. Because of this, we highly encourage you to pre-book your baggage

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest !

Getting to be a bit like how we drug peddlers do our business :D

Edited by BC Tam

And if we look into the booking engine, they had "finally" come up with a "Value Pack" (prices ranging from RM 43 to RM 100+ depending on the sectors); with 20kg, 1 set pre-selected meal and standard seat selection being bundled up...

....As an example, with the new fee structure, passengers of a one-way flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore would have to pay RM45 if they bought 20kg of checked baggage when booking their flight.

If they booked the checked baggage later through Manage My Booking, they would have pay RM52. But if they booked it at the airport counter, they would pay RM355...

www.theedgemarkets.com/my/article/airasia-revises-baggage-pricing?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Not really a great business idea when your Lion counterpart offer complimentary baggage allowance.