20kg : RM30 (then, RM42)

25kg : RM40

30kg : RM50

D7

15kg : RM30 (then, RM20)

20kg : RM50 (then, RM55)

25kg : RM80 (then, RM110)

30kg : RM120

The initial 15KG has increased, but the subsequent 5kg increment has been reduced significantly.. I guess travel light if you can, but if you have to travel with luggages, make sure its heavy... hehe...

Edited by Azri M.

It's quite a sharp increase. I bet the 15kg is the most popular baggage option. There is only so much you can hand carry onboard. So most people will at least buy the minimum baggage allowance to get by. Guess we can expect big boost to their ancillary income.

Yup. 15kg option is quite popular. While waiting for my flight the other day, an announcement was made to AirAsia passenger that only 1 piece of hand carry less than 7kg is allowed. As i was having a backpack and a camera back, they stopped me and didnt allow me to proceed.

So i took out a bigger folderable bag and throw my backpack and camera back in it only i was allowed to proceed. =.= What is the different? same weight also wad.

Yes, it is a very steep rise - from RM 5 to RM 20 in one year. Travellers will now have to be more careful with their luggage, e.g. if two of you travel, it may be more economic to buy one lot of prepaid luggage and use a single checked in bag.

Actually, from RM3 -> RM5 -> RM10 -> RM20

In a way, this is becoming the Admin Fees we all loathed about. (The admin fee was RM22.50).

AirAsia has been copying some of the Fee structure of Tiger Airways. AirAsia has introduced the same Convenience fee introduced by Tiger awhile ago. Tiger also have a high 15kg luggage fee (S$12.50), now AK found the opportunity there. Increase increase increase....

Wait a minute...you mean there is another increase in Luggage Fee? Apuh nama Utai!

They should just include the baggage fee into the ticket and stop calling themselves Low Cost Carrier...nothing really low cost...like the comic above, "Air Asia - Asia's First Ala Carte Airline"...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

actually if you compare the air ticket between KL -Penang (other place almost the same, with sign up "get the deal" promotion)

i am very sure that AirAsia is expensive than MAS

MAS all inclusive air fare is RM 74.00 one way..

although the ticket is cheap but + Convenience Fee + baggage fee there is much more expensive than MAS

MAS got refreshment, airasia apa pun tak ada

i found this a long time ago..

AirAsia is never cheap if you make your travel arrangements the old fashioned way, i.e. decide on your destination and travel dates first before checking the fares. They are almost certainly more expensive if you make last minute bookings, unless you are travelling on high frequency routes like KUL-SIN.

You can only get very cheap tickets when AirAsia allows you to - i.e. during their zero fare deals. This is when booking period and travel period is severely restricting your choice of travel dates. So to actually be able to snap up cheap tickets, you have to be aware of when the promos available, and book as soon as the booking period starts. This is where the kwai lohs are very good - the Aussies and Brits seem to be able to get the cheap tickets because they are aware of the T&C and they also are early birds, often booking once the sale opens at midnight of the first day of the booking period and also booking their flights 10 or more months in advance.

My next AK flights (to MFM and from HKG in April) will cost me less than RM 170 total. But I had to book them in May last year. Similarly, my TPE flights on D7 this June were booked in July last year - RM 330 return all in. So it is true that you can get cheap flights on AK and D7. But the "no frills" and restrictions begin even before you book! So not everyone is able to accept AK/D7's T&C. But the good thing is that we have a choice now and not be held to ransom by full fare carriers like in the old days.

Edited by flee

but according to their reply they said this is correspondent to the latest Airport rate they didn't generate anythings profit from this. Mean tat MAHB increase the services charges?

MAHB charges are reflected in the airport tax. I am not aware that MAHB charges separately for luggage handling. If that is the case, why doesn't AK/D7 just list them as MAHB charges? That way, no one will question them.

yup i also think like that MAHB is collect airport tax, they should increase in airport tax but not the baggage handling charge..

they said they didn't make any profit on banggage charge...but airasia's side income was increased..

AK charges convenience fee the moment ticket is purchased using credit card. Later (nearer to travel date), if I add stuff like checked baggage, meal, seat, etc. will that attract another convenience fee if i pay using credit card again?

[i think I found the answer at FAQ??]

Answer :

A convenience fee is charged when payment is made through credit, debit or charge cards. The fee is charged per guest for each way. Any changes or addition to existing booking is excluded from the Convenience Fee.

Also, if I choose 20kg checked baggage, is that limited to 1pc 20kg? or can be 2-3pcs that totals up to 20kg?

Edited by Dennis S.

Based on the post by Hon Kit, I don't think the situation is that bad. AK/D7 seems to know that most people actually packed more than 15kg which is the standard weight. Based on the new prices, the heavier weight limit is now cheaper compared to last time. You can rad from AK's FB page, out of ten posts, at least five would be on "Can I add more luggage weight?", "how to manage my luggage online?" etc.

The only increase are in airport rate, 15kg and 20kg bracket.I actually finds this weird. Isn't people who pack as light as possible get more discount; rather than those who packed more?

Think the situation is not as bad as what most would have think about. Perhaps not informing the customers up front )liek what they do with their promo: big huge ad, e-mail etc) maybe the sticking point of argument.

Be it MH, FY, or AK, the choice is up to individuals. Those prefer totally no frills: AK. No-frills with some nice touch: FY. Full cost with lots of 'touch': MH. Its a democratic world. Lambasting AK, MH or FY in this forum wouldn't have much effects on the business plan of these airlines.

Just my two cents opinion. I am open for debate.

Be it MH, FY, or AK, the choice is up to individuals. Those prefer totally no frills: AK. No-frills with some nice touch: FY. Full cost with lots of 'touch': MH. Its a democratic world. Lambasting AK, MH or FY in this forum wouldn't have much effects on the business plan of these airlines.

I completely agree. I know what I want and I know how I want to travel. I gave AK a go early on but they're definitely not for me and I find all the extra fees really really annoying and I also find some of their extra charges for extra services (like wheelchairs) offensive and discriminatory. Now I only fly MH. In the last 3 and a bit years, I've taken 10 flights with AK (the last was over 2 years ago now) and 52 flights with MH. I have another 16 planned with MH for the rest of the year. I speak with my money and AK will never get another cent from me. :finger:

I completely agree. I know what I want and I know how I want to travel. I gave AK a go early on but they're definitely not for me and I find all the extra fees really really annoying and I also find some of their extra charges for extra services (like wheelchairs) offensive and discriminatory. Now I only fly MH. In the last 3 and a bit years, I've taken 10 flights with AK (the last was over 2 years ago now) and 52 flights with MH. I have another 16 planned with MH for the rest of the year. I speak with my money and AK will never get another cent from me. :finger:

Well said.

You are a truly MH loyalist, hope they upgrade your enrich card to Platinum :drinks:

You are a truly MH loyalist, hope they upgrade your enrich card to Platinum :drinks:

LOL! I don't know if I could be called a "loyalist" but I often choose to fly with them because they go through KL (obviously!) and I always prefer to have a stop-over in KL over Singapore anyday. MH also offer very competitive fares (both in economy and business) and I believe they offer excellent value for money and provide a reliable service at the same time. I've experienced many little things that have made me thankful that I chose to fly with them in the first place.

As for achieving platinum, I doubt I'd ever achieve that status but gold would be nice. I just missed out for 2010 but I'll definitely achieve gold this year. :drinks:

Edited by Josh T

AirAsia and its long-haul arm, AirAsia X, will lower check-in baggage fees, effective today, by almost RM5 (US$1) for each baggage tier.

AirAsia and AirAsia X organise baggage tiers based on weight starting at the lowest tier, 15kg, going up to 30kg with an additional 5kg at each tier. While AirAsia has reduced the fees for 15kg and 20kg tiers, AirAsia X has lowered the fees of 25kg and 30kg tiers. The two carriers have also introduced two additional tiers: 35kg and 40kg.

The fees vary for passengers travelling on domestic or international flights and also for passengers who indicate online beforehand that they will be checking in baggage, as opposed to checking in baggage over the counter, which is calculated by attaching a charge to each kilo above 15kg. In fact, AirAsia has increased over the counter fees for checking in baggage on international flights while AirAsia X’s over the counter fees remain unchanged: passengers checking in 15kg of baggage will be charged RM65 (US$21) and each kilo after that will cost RM40 (US$13)

http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/airasia-reduces-baggage-fees